The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I have horns  (Read 2736 times)

Offline LouK

• Trips: 1-5
I have horns
« on: November 09, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
On a Skype today, my girlfriend pulled hair up over her head and said she has "РОЖКИ". I asked her if that meant the same thing in Russia and the US. She said, "РОГА ВЕЗДЕ ОДИНАКОВЫЕ".

She was born in the 1960s and is usually very reserved. I think I know what she was telling me, but I hate to assume. I think she was telling me that she missed sex. Are there any Russian born ladies on here who can confirm the meaning for me? I would hate to get this wrong.

Lou

Offline mobob

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Re: I have horns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
Just consulted with my Ukrainian born wife. She says 'maybe she is making a joke'. But usually in Russia/Ukraine, it does not have the meaning you expect - it means she is being cheated on. Udachi.

Offline LouK

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
Interesting. Problem is, that was out of context for the call. What she said was in context with the meaning I read into it. I guess that's the problem. I want to make sure I don't read the wrong thing into the situation.

Given the situation at hand, she was complaining about something. Infidelity is not in the range. She could have meant lonely, frustrated, what I think it meant, or something similar to that.

You wrote Ukrainian wife. My girl friend is Russian. Will there be a difference between Russian and Ukrainian?

Thanks for your reply. This is not the easiest subject, so I appreciate you asking about it for me.

Lou

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:58:23 PM »
Most Ukrainians read/write/understand Russian perfectly. Especially those born east of kiev/odessa line.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline LouK

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »
I did not mean to question the language ability. I was speculating on the usage. Would a Russian and a Ukrainian both use the word to mean cheating?

Lou

Offline mobob

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:20:43 PM »
My wife was born in Donetsk oblast in USSR days. Russian is still her primary language.

If what your gf said was out of context, then she is probably joking. That's what the boss (wife) means. I would suspect so, also. If you're not sure what she meant, ask her. Until/if you learn the language, there can be misunderstandings. And when she learns/uses English more, there can still be lots of, misunderstandings. Things just don't translate well, if at all, from Russian to English. It can be fun/interesting, but also very frustrating.

Offline mobob

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »
Ooops. Posted without looking.

Yes. I've asked again, this is the usual meaning. And she (wife/boss/accountant/keeper of wallet and balls), says 'if you're not sure, then you should ask her'.

I can tell you from years of continuing experience, a very, very slight misunderstanding can lead to very hurt feelings. Ask. If it's a misunderstanding or poor translation, don't make a big deal of it. There will be plenty more.

Offline mobob

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:17 PM »
Oh, and here's another angle on things...

Russian/Ukrainian humor can be very droll. Such to put a Brit to shame, in my opinion/experience. Drier than a martini in a desert on a hot summer day in a 100 year drought.

For example, as I'm doing today...

Often my wife has compared me to Tolstoy as I 'sometimes' tend to write a bit. I misunderstood her 'compliment'. Until she explained it. And as she continues to master the American version of English, it only gets... better?

Registration