The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Trepidatiously Moscow Bound....  (Read 8345 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Trepidatiously Moscow Bound....
« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
On 7 February, 2017, I stepped off the train at Kievskaya rail station into the -20C air with a fresh-off-the-presses single-entry Russian visa.  I was excited and, well, trepidatious.  I can't believe a year has passed already!

Today's weather was similar, only a few degrees less cold, but also after a mega-dump of snow.  The city is still getting back to normal.

It is a sign of the times or perhaps the lack of news worthy articles but the Moscow snow of the last couple days has received almost as much coverage as the first Tesla being delivered to an outer orbit. Mind you no doom and gloom about Moscow as opposed to Boston a few years back just a bucket full of snow landed on the Kremlin and surrounding regions.

As for your anniversary, well done!  tiphat
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
@Jerash, what's the end-goal of your journey? Is it to gain Russian Citizenship and start a busines? Surely you don't plan on being an English teacher your whole life....

No, I definitely don't plan to spend my whole life as an English teacher.  I've already spent half of it doing other things.  :laugh:

But more seriously, it's a fair enough question.  Possibly by "English teacher" you imagine that I am bound to a school where I go every day and spend all day there and that I do this for peanuts.  Definitely that is an option in Moscow, and boy are they suckers, the ones who do it.  I follow several boards connected with language teaching in Moscow and I'm positively scandalized by the offers that come from those schools.

As for me, I'm basically a freelancer.  My clients come through 4 or 5 different schools/agencies, and I have some of my own students independently as well. At this point in time, my lessons are all one-on-one and are typically held in offices and to a lesser amount, private homes and cafes.  I count a number of well-known brand companies among my clientele, and also some private clients in extremely lucrative positions.  I'm earning well and continue to see potential for increasing my income going forward.  My money is sourced from people who know that I am a serious professional and not a hipster using ESL teaching to travel the world, etc.

Year one was spent on credential training and then establishing myself, while also learning about where I had landed.  Year two is about consolidation, applying what I've learned, and diversifying.

That's only in the professional sphere.  Part of the reason I came here was to meet a lovely girl to settle down with and have a family.  I've been dating locally for a year now and I'm really hoping that I may now have hooked into something truly serious and that that area of my life is going to bear fruit.

The future is always open-ended.  I should have been locked down into a good lifetime job in Canada, but after a decade doing it, I was unfulfilled and decided it wasn't worth trading my happiness in for a good salary and a great promise down the road.  My attitude hasn't changed and I guess it never will.  I have to be versatile and adaptable and try to plan ahead so that I can be ready for any number of options.  Return to Canada with family?  Sooner or later?  Staying in Russia longer term? Permanently?  Relocation with family to a third country altogether?  These are all possibilities, and I think my strength is that I'm open to all of those possibilities.  Some of you may disagree.

So I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.  Keep learning and trying to be better than the last month.  Opening a business is definitely something I'm considering, but it is early early days for that.  I'll need to learn more about the Russian requirements and continue building my contacts.  But it's only one of the options.

I'm happy with the direction things are going.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #287 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:10 AM »
Dear Jerash,

please forgive the lateness of my congratulations.

Personally, I couldn't live in a big city  - but your experiences have softened my attitude to Moscow ;)

Hope the next year will be as interesting

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #288 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
@Jerash, what's the end-goal of your journey? Is it to gain Russian Citizenship and start a busines? Surely you don't plan on being an English teacher your whole life....

No, I definitely don't plan to spend my whole life as an English teacher.  I've already spent half of it doing other things.  :laugh:

But more seriously, it's a fair enough question.  Possibly by "English teacher" you imagine that I am bound to a school where I go every day and spend all day there and that I do this for peanuts.  Definitely that is an option in Moscow, and boy are they suckers, the ones who do it.  I follow several boards connected with language teaching in Moscow and I'm positively scandalized by the offers that come from those schools.

As for me, I'm basically a freelancer.  My clients come through 4 or 5 different schools/agencies, and I have some of my own students independently as well. At this point in time, my lessons are all one-on-one and are typically held in offices and to a lesser amount, private homes and cafes.  I count a number of well-known brand companies among my clientele, and also some private clients in extremely lucrative positions.  I'm earning well and continue to see potential for increasing my income going forward.  My money is sourced from people who know that I am a serious professional and not a hipster using ESL teaching to travel the world, etc.

Year one was spent on credential training and then establishing myself, while also learning about where I had landed.  Year two is about consolidation, applying what I've learned, and diversifying.

That's only in the professional sphere.  Part of the reason I came here was to meet a lovely girl to settle down with and have a family.  I've been dating locally for a year now and I'm really hoping that I may now have hooked into something truly serious and that that area of my life is going to bear fruit.

The future is always open-ended.  I should have been locked down into a good lifetime job in Canada, but after a decade doing it, I was unfulfilled and decided it wasn't worth trading my happiness in for a good salary and a great promise down the road.  My attitude hasn't changed and I guess it never will.  I have to be versatile and adaptable and try to plan ahead so that I can be ready for any number of options.  Return to Canada with family?  Sooner or later?  Staying in Russia longer term? Permanently?  Relocation with family to a third country altogether?  These are all possibilities, and I think my strength is that I'm open to all of those possibilities.  Some of you may disagree.

So I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.  Keep learning and trying to be better than the last month.  Opening a business is definitely something I'm considering, but it is early early days for that.  I'll need to learn more about the Russian requirements and continue building my contacts.  But it's only one of the options.

I'm happy with the direction things are going.

:thumbsup:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #289 on: April 05, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »
My feet hurt. 14,000+ steps today and yesterday, 16,000+ the day before. I can’t wait til June when things slow down. I want a holiday.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #290 on: April 05, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
Orthodox Easter is this Sunday, so a holiday is very close.  :)