The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Trepidatiously Moscow Bound....  (Read 31999 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: Trepidatiously Moscow Bound....
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
It just comes down to everything in life.."A positive mental attitude" In the face of adversity !

Failure is NOT an option. I remember walking in the poring rain for 4 miles to work with my ear phones on listening to
 :party0011:

Great tune Steve!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
By the way I spelt "Pouring " wrong  :hidechair:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #252 on: May 08, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong if this video isn't about FSU girls thinking about emigrating after the fall and collapse....

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #253 on: May 08, 2017, 11:53:22 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong if this video isn't about FSU girls thinking about emigrating after the fall and collapse....

I don't know- but why the images of Native 'Red Indians' in the vid ?
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Jerash

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2017, 04:52:59 AM »

I don't know- but why the images of Native 'Red Indians' in the vid ?

Stereotyped images of 'the West'

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2017, 06:16:52 AM »
The video is by Beck from 1996 and, if it is as you suggest, then he was several years ahead of the curve of the MOB business. At that time there was almost no MOB activity from the FSU and what existed at that time was pretty much paper catalogs of burly middle aged shot putter types not beautiful young girlies. :)

It was not until a couple of years later that the Natasha Trade was identified; coming as it did with the confluence of the 1998 economic crash in Russia and the move to mainstream of online commerce.

So, I rather doubt that the video is what you think it is.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
The video is by Beck from 1996 and, if it is as you suggest, then he was several years ahead of the curve of the MOB business. At that time there was almost no MOB activity from the FSU and what existed at that time was pretty much paper catalogs of burly middle aged shot putter types not beautiful young girlies. :)

It was not until a couple of years later that the Natasha Trade was identified; coming as it did with the confluence of the 1998 economic crash in Russia and the move to mainstream of online commerce.

So, I rather doubt that the video is what you think it is.

I think you're right and I probably projected the meaning onto it, but I do think the video lends itself quite well to such an interpretation. :)

Offline Jerash

« Reply #257 on: May 11, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
Spring has passed Moscow by this year.  May 11, today, and I walked home while the snow fell.  It probably lends itself to the general gloom.  I knew from the beginning that the 3-6 month mark would be difficult.  It is when the honeymoon period of general fascination and excitement wears off and also when you are still not fully established.

So it came earlier for me than later and I'm not surprised.  I changed employers and collected a new visa in Kiev last week, which marks 3 months.  Now I'm back in this wintry gloom.

I finished the CELTA course and I have to go pick up my provisional certificate (the original will come from Cambridge).  I'm hoping I'll get a Pass B (In ascending order, the grades are Fail, Pass, Pass B, and Pass A).  Now it's all work and I have been filling my schedule for the past month.  I hope to be near 100,000ru for the Month of May.  I like most of my gigs and students.

I met a really nice girl and I really liked her and I thought the feeling was mutual.  But I guess not.  I have always been relationship-oriented, and probably I moved things too quickly for her and now it's done.  At least I have time on my side, it's not like I'm going anywhere.

It crossed my mind that, in a city of 20 million, even if there were only 1000 attractive, available girls, it would take me 3 years to date each of them once.  So, to paraphrase the mother of my first girlfriend, there's plenty of fish in the sea.

I'm bummed out that it hasn't worked with the girl I met, as it seemed we had every material for a good and lasting relationship.  But maybe there will be an opportunity to get back with her in the future.  As it stands now, I'm 70/30 on it.

Moscow is more expensive than I'd thought, especially with all the extras (new visa, travel to Kiev, etc) and I burned my start up fund.  Now it's between me and the rubles I can earn.  May is tight, but I'll get paid for May in June, and it will be alright then.

The girl I met, one of the things she said to me is that this is an adventure for me, and I can leave at anytime once I'm not having fun anymore.  I resent that statement, probably because it is true.  I don't know what to respond, other than that this isn't easy and I didn't come just to evacuate when the going gets tough.  I'm here for a long haul and open to all possibilities.  I am earning rubles now, and I have to earn more of them to establish some stability.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #258 on: May 11, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »
J Man, I want to commend your courage and fortitude.

I suspect there are opportunites you just need to be able to be at the right place at the right time to land it.

For what it is worth dating 1,000 girls in 3 years could be the title subject of a new thread.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #259 on: May 11, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »
Don't give up Jerash. If you only date a hundred women in the next 3 years you'll still have plenty of fun.

Although I cannot imagine snow in May. Hope it warms up real soon for you and the other Muscovites.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #260 on: May 11, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
I resent that statement, probably because it is true

I don't think the statement was meant to be taken as an insult.  For many people, they have no "escape route" from their daily life.  They have very little options, other than to "grin and bear it".   :snivel:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #261 on: May 11, 2017, 10:18:25 PM »
Jerash, it made the main RU news that it was snowing in Moscow in May - so it is not usual :)

Keep SMILING - even if they think you're mad or stupid - and all will be good. 

Women like confident, happy guys

Offline Jerash

« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
J Man, I want to commend your courage and fortitude.

I suspect there are opportunites you just need to be able to be at the right place at the right time to land it.

For what it is worth dating 1,000 girls in 3 years could be the title subject of a new thread.

1,000 girls in 3 years - that would be an epic thread! But I don't think I'm the man for that job :))

Timing counts for a lot. So does recognizing and taking advantage of luck when it's presented itself to you.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
Don't give up Jerash. If you only date a hundred women in the next 3 years you'll still have plenty of fun.

Although I cannot imagine snow in May. Hope it warms up real soon for you and the other Muscovites.

16C and sunny today. That's two warm sunny days in a row. Looks like temps are up in general this week, but I think there's more rain in the forecast. At least I traded shitty weather in a boring city for shitty weather in a thrilling city ;)

A 100 women in 3 years sounds more fun than 1,000))) Probably more sex in that scenario ;)

Offline Jerash

« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »

I don't think the statement was meant to be taken as an insult.  For many people, they have no "escape route" from their daily life.  They have very little options, other than to "grin and bear it".   :snivel:

You're spot on dcguy. I know it wasn't meant as an insult, but I realized over time that I resented the truth in it.

And while I COULD give up and go home, I'm all in here. I gave up everything back "home" to be where I am now. "Giving up" isn't even a thought I have and doing so would be psychologically devastating, I'm guessing.

When I put it into perspective, I think I've accomplished a lot in 3 months. It only gets better, I'm sure.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »

You're spot on dcguy. I know it wasn't meant as an insult, but I realized over time that I resented the truth in it.

And while I COULD give up and go home, I'm all in here. I gave up everything back "home" to be where I am now. "Giving up" isn't even a thought I have and doing so would be psychologically devastating, I'm guessing.

When I put it into perspective, I think I've accomplished a lot in 3 months. It only gets better, I'm sure.

Curious are you connected to the local population? When I am in Kiev I tend to avoid the ex-pats and have more contact 'natives'.

At times I have contemplated attempting to learn Russian, but this is a mega effort.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
This has been an interesting thread, would be great to get an update  :nod:

Article related to working in Russia.

7 questions for a foreigner seeking a job in Russia

https://www.rbth.com/politics_and_society/society/2017/06/28/7-questions-for-a-foreigner-seeking-a-job-in-russia_791405
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #267 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:03 AM »
This has been an interesting thread, would be great to get an update  :nod:

May be he's sheltering from Tropical Storm 'anvil' - approaching Moscow...

Offline Jerash

« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
I'm sweating in Moscow during the few days of summer we've had so far.  I'm almost at six months here now.  I only started working in May.  So with no reference points, I entered summer working, while everyone else is going on holiday and making plans for the coming school year.  June killed me - cancellations left and right, it was discouraging.  July, pleased as punch, busy as hell, and my best month by a country mile for earnings.  So far August looks light, but July has made me confident that it will work out.  From September, I expect I'll be plenty busy.  My goal is still to earn 200,000/mth by the end of the year.  I'm well on the way.

I've been here almost six months and I'm currently looking for a new place to live. When I first came here I had no income and thought it would be prudent to take a room and so i did just that.  I've been living in a Kommunalka of 4 rooms and only 3 other room mates.  A communal flat is one where you have your private quarters but share living areas.  This is to be taken seriously, it's not like getting roommates.  Everything is separate and independent, down to the toiletpaper.  It can also raise certain issues - in my case the neighbour has a table and chairs in the kitchen.  It's not mine and I can't use it.  While I could propose the absurdity of introducing additional kitchen tables into this small space, it's not worth it.  I'm moving on.

I'm looking for a one or two room of my own.  So far I haven't found anything, but I still have a bit of time.  A good two room has certain attractions, most particularly the room to grow.  But the closer to the centre you get, the more expensive it is and the quality drops as well.  And to get the same quality here as in the west, prices shoot way up.  Unfortunately, I can't afford the same quality as I was used to before I moved, not in centre, not anywhere.

While *someone* has crudely suggested I have trouble "getting my dick wet", it isn't so and I sometimes wish it was the opposite.  I am finding myself growing more and more attached to a very nice girl, but she is moving out of the city to save money while her flat is being built (she just bought it).  She has a daughter who has been with her grandparents for the summer so I haven't met her yet.  I don't know if this will go anywhere and I can see there are a lot of obstacles.  But it's on my mind when I think about getting a two room flat.

The honeymoon is over and I'm now looking to the next phase, which includes getting my own place and maybe deepening relations with a nice gal here.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:47 AM »
I'm sweating in Moscow during the few days of summer we've had so far.  I'm almost at six months here now.  I only started working in May.  So with no reference points, I entered summer working, while everyone else is going on holiday and making plans for the coming school year.  June killed me - cancellations left and right, it was discouraging.  July, pleased as punch, busy as hell, and my best month by a country mile for earnings.  So far August looks light, but July has made me confident that it will work out.  From September, I expect I'll be plenty busy.  My goal is still to earn 200,000/mth by the end of the year.  I'm well on the way.

I've been here almost six months and I'm currently looking for a new place to live. When I first came here I had no income and thought it would be prudent to take a room and so i did just that.  I've been living in a Kommunalka of 4 rooms and only 3 other room mates.  A communal flat is one where you have your private quarters but share living areas.  This is to be taken seriously, it's not like getting roommates.  Everything is separate and independent, down to the toiletpaper.  It can also raise certain issues - in my case the neighbour has a table and chairs in the kitchen.  It's not mine and I can't use it.  While I could propose the absurdity of introducing additional kitchen tables into this small space, it's not worth it.  I'm moving on.

I'm looking for a one or two room of my own.  So far I haven't found anything, but I still have a bit of time.  A good two room has certain attractions, most particularly the room to grow.  But the closer to the centre you get, the more expensive it is and the quality drops as well.  And to get the same quality here as in the west, prices shoot way up.  Unfortunately, I can't afford the same quality as I was used to before I moved, not in centre, not anywhere.

While *someone* has crudely suggested I have trouble "getting my dick wet", it isn't so and I sometimes wish it was the opposite.  I am finding myself growing more and more attached to a very nice girl, but she is moving out of the city to save money while her flat is being built (she just bought it).  She has a daughter who has been with her grandparents for the summer so I haven't met her yet.  I don't know if this will go anywhere and I can see there are a lot of obstacles.  But it's on my mind when I think about getting a two room flat.

The honeymoon is over and I'm now looking to the next phase, which includes getting my own place and maybe deepening relations with a nice gal here.

:thumbsup:  Well done!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »

How's the Russian coming on ?

You're lucky it's not been as hot a summer as it could be...What's it like on the metro when hot ?

Offline Jerash

« Reply #271 on: August 04, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »

You're lucky it's not been as hot a summer as it could be...What's it like on the metro when hot ?

Лучше и лучше. Сейчас могу говорить немного. Каждый день изучаю новые слова.

On my line there are rarely the newer trains with air conditioning. I've just come to accept that everyday I will be having a fully-clothed sauna experience. And I find the season doesn't matter. In summer it's hot, while in winter you are wearing heavy clothes and jacket. The end result is the same)

While the metro can be and often is busy and crowded, I recently watched some video of the subway experience in Beijing and Tokyo. It's given me a whole new perspective and I have nothing to complain about the metro here, which works fantastically for getting about the city.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #272 on: August 04, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »

While the metro can be and often is busy and crowded, I recently watched some video of the subway experience in Beijing and Tokyo.

If you wondered what it would feel like being packed in a can of sardines, those mass transit systems have workers specially trained to get as many people inside a car and to get the doors closed.  ;D

Offline Jerash

« Reply #273 on: August 04, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »

While the metro can be and often is busy and crowded, I recently watched some video of the subway experience in Beijing and Tokyo.

If you wondered what it would feel like being packed in a can of sardines, those mass transit systems have workers specially trained to get as many people inside a car and to get the doors closed.  ;D

Yes, I saw this in the videos. I can't imagine and would not want to live in such a place. So you already know my answer - I'm not wondering what it would feel like to be packed in a can of sardines :)

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2017, 06:09:04 PM »

Yes, I saw this in the videos. I can't imagine and would not want to live in such a place. So you already know my answer - I'm not wondering what it would feel like to be packed in a can of sardines :)

I've been on an Asian (local) train, bus, and boat trip.  You had to almost fight to get a spot to sit down as the passengers all ran roughshod to get on board.  Old people and those with disabilities were left in the dust.   :hidechair: