The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: A Walk Near My Home  (Read 2994 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
A Walk Near My Home
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:29:02 AM »
Winter has arrived but the weather was lovely; cold but clear so we walked from my house down to the sea.

From the beach at my home across to Piritta:

Toward the ferry terminal:

Walking home, time for a coffee in a cafe next to my place:

She knows what she likes already!

Winter berries in the garden:
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: A Walk Near My Home
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:42:48 AM »
Nice local Caff to hang out in.  :thumbsup:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:47:13 AM »
Definatly not Dumpsk... I doubt you can find cafe's in NL with such nice furnature, unless its a really uptown posh place.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:13:43 AM »
Definatly not Dumpsk... I doubt you can find cafe's in NL with such nice furnature, unless its a really uptown posh place.

It is a nice place. It ain't Starbucks though. Of course this IS uptown! Although I live by the beach, well, a couple of minutes walk away, it is also the centre of the city. The presidential palace is a short stroll through the park from me.

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:05:10 AM »
Very pretty, but, way too much snow and cold for this Texas boy.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »
Some from me, Nyhavn, Københavns Kommune.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »

The cold is not a problem if one's home is warm (check), one's car is warm (check), one dresses properly (check)
In such circumstances snow is a pleasant addition to the vagaries of life.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »

The cold is not a problem if one's home is warm (check), one's car is warm (check), one dresses properly (check)

That is how I view it also.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »

Home, check too, underfloor heating is cool...

Car, don't have one here at least until I do pass the Telsa showroom then God help me...

Dress, suffering here, still dressing UK Northern style, shorts and teeshirt lol! Well not shorts but I dislike being even warm so I err on the side of cold, but to be honest this week has been a 'mare, and with CpH being flat, the wind is everywhere, my gonads have retracted, so much so Jimmy Savile would fancy me.

I think some sort of jumper might be in order.....

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:07 AM »

Thats right!

I love the warm sun and it is great to be on the beach in the summer. But the beach with snow it in, in winter, gives a great contrast and a different enjoyment.

Relish the changes that life offers - enjoy the dynamic range!

Ste, I get told off for not wearing a scarf or hat. I gave in the other day and wore an overcoat and gloves. My Dannimac was deemed too lightweight. I dunno about that thought, it has served me well since Harold Wilson was around!

I only have underfloor heating in the bathroom and sauna, I like it but I'd bet it costs a fortune to use throughout one's home, let alone the problems it would cause when it failed. I'd hate to be dependent upon it as the sole fixed source of heat.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »

Thats right!

I love the warm sun and it is great to be on the beach in the summer. But the beach with snow it in, in winter, gives a great contrast and a different enjoyment.

Ste, I get told off for not wearing a scarf or hat. I gave in the other day and wore an overcoat and gloves. My Dannimac was deemed too lightweight. I dunno about that thought, it has served me well since Harold Wilson was around!

I only have underfloor heating in the bathroom and sauna, I like it but I'd bet it costs a fortune to use throughout one's home, let alone the problems it would cause when it failed. I'd hate to be dependent upon it as the sole fixed source of heat.

TBH WRT to the underfloor heating, thermos on the wall in every room, none of us are sure how it works, bit it's always warm, there's huge thick thermo panel on the ceiling, and even now it's only ever cold if you open a window or patio door.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:22 AM »

great photos, thanks. if it was always summer would we enjoy it as much? I prefer the change of seasons as well.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »

Thats right!

Lovely pics Andrew, your kids??

WRT u/floor heating, IF its driven from the gas c/h, then really nothing can ever go wrong with it under the floor, with the exception of someone drilling a hole in the floor and piercing a pipe, for many years now, only plastic water pipes have been used, and they never rot or corrode, or even leak.. Any problem that you might get is therefore with the gas boiler, or the T/valves controlling the temp, or the pump.....
If you have T/stats on the wall in the room, then the chances are that you have electric u/floor heating, which also rarely causes problems requiring the lifting of the floor... The biggest problem with electric cables u/floor is damaged wiring due to over heating, then it has to be a "Floor up" job...
Of these 2 systems, electric is the most expensive to run, can be more than double the cost of a gas/hot water system...

HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
The ankle biter isn't mine.

Glad you like the pics.

I live on the top floor and I parasite much of my heating from downstairs, or so it seems.

Outside temperature is about - 3 and snowy. Inside is about 20 through most of the apartment with no heating at all. The back bedroom is chilly though at just over 19 degrees. I have taken to using fan heaters,  quick and effective and then off.

This is a Finnish building and they're pretty good at making places that do not need too much energy to keep warm.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »

Glad you like the pics.

I live on the top floor and I parasite much of my heating from downstairs, or so it seems.

Outside temperature is about - 3 and snowy. Inside is about 20 through most of the apartment with no heating at all. The back bedroom is chilly though at just over 19 degrees. I have taken to using fan heaters,  quick and effective and then off.

This is a Finnish building and they're pretty good at making places that do not need too much energy to keep warm.

Be happy that you live in a Finished building, if it wasn't, then you may get the wind up at times...  :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 01:07:34 PM »

Car, don't have one here at least until I do pass the Telsa showroom then God help me...

Dress, suffering here, still dressing UK Northern style, shorts and teeshirt lol! Well not shorts but I dislike being even warm so I err on the side of cold, but to be honest this week has been a 'mare, and with CpH being flat, the wind is everywhere, my gonads have retracted, so much so Jimmy Savile would fancy me.

It appears you like a bit of Saville?

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »

Glad you like the pics.

Same here, i'm on third floor right on the harbour so we get the wind, heating isn't on (or I can't feel it) -1c outside, temp on thermo in my bedroom now is 25.1c (doesn't feel that warm to be honest, I'm an 18c man and it feels about that), still, not bad, even in winter heating bills are negligable so far, but there is lots of insulation and the doors/windows are double-double glazed, ie two panes each of double glazing. Also means you can't hear a thing outside which is good because the builders are still building the wharf planking and they start at 6:00am...

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »

Ha!

Not really, it's a knee-jerk, I lived in Leeds before I moved here, and I shook his hand in the early 80's when he was in his marathon running phase. Feel deeply ashamed, spose it's my way of dealing with it in a really odd way!

He was a sick fuker obvs, and the Theroux docs I saw are captivating, but overall I do have a weird interest in the dark side of people, especailly are there seems to be so many on here ;) 

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »

Ha!

Not really, it's a knee-jerk, I lived in Leeds before I moved here, and I shook his hand in the early 80's when he was in his marathon running phase. Feel deeply ashamed, spose it's my way of dealing with it in a really odd way!

He was a sick fuker obvs, and the Theroux docs I saw are captivating, but overall I do have a weird interest in the dark side of people, especailly are there seems to be so many on here ;)

Hope that you washed it, your arm, and arm pits immediately afterwards with Domestos..   :o

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »

Ha!

Hope that you washed it, your arm, and arm pits immediately afterwards with Domestos..   :o

Same hand shook hands with all four Bangles a few years later so, err no!!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »

Same hand shook hands with all four Bangles a few years later so, err no!!

Ha, so now you just carry an "Eternal flame" for your hero Ex Sir James Saville esq deceased, and also "Walk like an Egyptian"... :whist11:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
 :'( looks like Jimmy fixed it for Ste when he was a lad.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »
:'( looks like Jimmy fixed it for Ste when he was a lad.

When I was auditioned for Jim'll Fix It, he taught me how to milk a horse blindfolded....

Cūnt , Clit, Every Trip!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 02:02:46 PM »
Well,  it seems you can be proud of your learning abilities. Uncle Jimmy clearly impressed you.  Do you like big cigars perchance?

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
 :laugh:

This threads hit the gutter.....but I like it!!

Registration