The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hello from Alaska  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Loving Alaska

• Trips: 1-5
Hello from Alaska
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »
Hey Everyone!  My name is Stuart, currently living in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

Found this board while doing some research for my next trips overseas.  Hopefully I get a chance to meet and converse with more people from all over the world.

A bit about me:  I have traveled the world twice over at the ripe age of 33, fought two wars, then finally settled in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  I enjoy photography, fine art, horse riding, gaming, theater, and traveling.  I work in the IT field and manage a large facility here in Alaska.

Hope to get to know some of you, maybe even meet some of you on my travels (Iceland in April) so don't hesitate to reach out.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Hello from Alaska
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »
Welcome to the site Stuart.  tiphat

Have you plans to visit Russia or the FSU already?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:01:24 AM »
Hi Stuart

Welcome

Look forward to hearing about your travels and opinions, too

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Loving Alaska

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
I visited Russia once already a few years ago when I was playing World of Tanks on a professional team.  Had a wonderful time there, met some fantastic people.  Looking forward to another trip next year, but have not decided on a destination yet.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
I visited Russia once already a few years ago when I was playing World of Tanks on a professional team.  Had a wonderful time there, met some fantastic people.  Looking forward to another trip next year, but have not decided on a destination yet.

there was a video posted about Belgorod on another thread.  was very impressive and looked to be very modern with new roads and freeways and some cool 24 hour a day factories for growing crops.  you being into IT and tech I assume would be interested in seeing how Russia has met the demand to grow more of their own foods since the sanctions. 

Offline Loving Alaska

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
It is always interesting to see how various technology has been adapted in all corners of the world.  For example the facility I work for now was about 8 years behind, but is expected for remote Alaska.  I have been working the past year to bring them into the present and prepare for the future.  In other countries I see things commonly 20 years behind or more depending on how developed it is.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
Dutch Harbour/Loving Alaska! Welcome to RUA!

Wow sort of amazing. So you know Russia a century or so ago had an active town/fortification there. IF you can find the book from Ian Frazier titled 'Travels in Siberia' he discusses the back ground of Alaska and its relation to Russia in some detail. A good and easy read.

Curious do you infact work for a Dutch Business there in Dutch Harbour?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Loving Alaska

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
The business HQ is in Redmond, WA, however the main production facility is in Dutch Harbor.  I work for UniSea.  There are still battlements here on the island today.  I will post some pictures later.