The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 2016 - Russians in Turkey - or not ..  (Read 876 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
2016 - Russians in Turkey - or not ..
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
Well, if 2016 is anything to go by, it was A CRAP year for tourism for Turkey.

Lot's of people worried about the sanity of taking a last minute break here.

'What about the risk of terrorism ?!'

Methinks there's more chance of an attack in Belgium, France or even the UK - than places we go.

If staying away from Antalya provence - the number of Russians was already lower - but this year many Brits, Germans, etc - stayed away, too.

We've been made welcome and prices - if you negotiate by being on the ground - can be substantially discounted - substantial being 50 percent or more

Our 'sofas' included 36' foot yachts (that normally cost 3000 USD for a week - plus the same again for a deposit) and a lovely 5 bed villa with a large garden and salt (rather than chlorine) treated private pool.

We used andrewfi's 'favourite' - Airbnb - to find the latter - the owner cleared off and left it all to us - we just had to feed 2 dogs and a cat ...

This part of Turkey is one of the most beautiful parts of the world and yesterday we were 2 of 4 people on a beautiful beach with Turtles - looking out towards the Greek island of Rhodes.

We are 1000km from the Syrian border and Monaco is closer to Tunis, by far...Danger is a very relative thing.

It is 28C as I type this by the pool and I cannot think of a better holiday I've ever had .... Get here - quick - before the weather breaks

Russians don't need to pay for a visa and we met a few who arranged private trips
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: 2016 - Russians in Turkey - or not ..
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
It is 28C as I type this by the pool

I'll be in similar temperatures in Guangzhou, China in two days, with ZERO threat of Islamic terrorism.

Except that my £s won't be going into a country that supports terrorism and anti-Russian policies. I'll not go to Turkey while I have a hole in my arse. You sir, are a Judas.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:39:48 PM »

I'll be in similar temperatures in Guangzhou, China in two days, with ZERO threat of Islamic terrorism.

Really !?

In case you are like Manny - you'll never have heard of the Uyghur in NW China - sponsored by Moscow in the 40's.... They seek a separate state - free of Beijing rule

Except that my £s won't be going into a country that supports terrorism and anti-Russian policies. I'll not go to Turkey while I have a hole in my arse. You sir, are a Judas.

You seem confused ... Both Russia and China are supporting a dictator - and the Kremlin are actively aiding in killing folk who just sought democracy..   

Loads of Russians will be back next year and making you look as daft as ever ...according to SC - she met an Egyptian tourism rep going to Russia - via Istanbul -  and he thinks the Russian govt will permit licenced tourism in Egypt, (soon) too.

I am no fan of Putin or Erdogan - but their antics don't stop me from wanting to visit their respective countries.

Judas sold out Jesus for financial reward- I fail to see the link - as the Kremlin lifted the ban on Russian Package Tours nearly 4 months ago ...... ( there was a temp.ban during the 'Coup' attempt.)

Why can't you be honest and admit that you won't go as you think it is a 'rag-head; country ...? :sick0012:

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:14:13 PM »
It is 28C as I type this by the pool

I choose not to holiday in any country where Islam is practised by the majority.
Edit: I should add, that will probably include a number of European countries, starting with Germany, in a few years.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:27:24 AM »
Rarely do I agree with Moby but The Eastern Med is enjoying wonderful late autumn sunshine at the moment.

As I have said many times before This tourist season was dire - visitor number down 60 - 70%.  Hopefully this will improve next season.

Manny you need to update your views on Turkey being anti Russian.  Erdogan has back tracked U turned and now is firmly in the Russian sphere of influence. The shelved gas pipeline deal "Turkstream" will get the go ahead this month.

Perhaps this is due to the USA supporting the "Gullenists", Arming the YPG(PKK) and backing Al Nusra (better known as Al Queda)...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:16:29 AM »

Perhaps this is due to the USA supporting the "Gullenists", Arming the YPG(PKK) and backing Al Nusra (better known as Al Queda)...

Whilst I can agree that the USA are somewhat worried about Erdogan's reaction to the 'coup', his 'terrorists' including purges on Kurds and stories of some bizarre family connections to oil trade deals, I certainly take issue with the USA ( knowingly ) funding Al Nusra and even the PKK.

I can understand the concept of my 'enemy's eneny is my friend' on the ground - during siege situations in Syria .... but you may be confusing monetary greed with principle

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
Manny you need to update your views on Turkey being anti Russian.  Erdogan has back tracked U turned and now is firmly in the Russian sphere of influence. The shelved gas pipeline deal "Turkstream" will get the go ahead this month.

Perhaps.

I choose not to holiday in any country where Islam is practised by the majority.
Edit: I should add, that will probably include a number of European countries, starting with Germany, in a few years.

I subscribe to this also.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:34 AM »
I stayed a day in Istanbul - one of my favourite cities - I using booking.com and paid THIRTY-FOUR EUROS for a stay-over in a double room in a Radisson Blu - close to the airport  - which included a free shuttle service to/ fro the airport. ( 68% percent off)

I speak v.little Turkish - what I learnt has mostly faded from my living on Cyprus - but I saw that Putin was expected and the big news was an energy conference. I think this is were Putin and Erdogan are signing the pipe-line deal.

I saw where the attack happened at the airport ( June 2016) - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36658187 and a black marble memorial has been erected to the 40 plus victims - inscribed in Turkish and English.

If you use Turkish Airlines and have a long stay-over at IST - as the hub on an international link ( I was domestic to Intl.) one can get a free tour of the city or free accommodation.

http://istanbulinhours.com/

I understand that using IST - or any Turkish destination - might flag up as 'ssss' ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_Security_Screening_Selection ) for the TSA in the states ?

http://www.mightytravels.com/2015/09/what-does-ssss-mean-on-my-boarding-pass-and-why-this-probably-started-after-you-went-to-turkey/

I have said it before - I like TR airlines as they have good food ( metal knives and forks ), free drinks, great in-flight AV and often a 30 Kg hold baggage allowance. They are a heavily subsidised outfit.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
I stayed a day in Istanbul - one of my favourite cities - I using booking.com and paid THIRTY-FOUR EUROS for a stay-over in a double room in a Radisson Blu - close to the airport  - which included a free shuttle service to/ fro the airport. ( 68% percent off)

I speak v.little Turkish - what I learnt has mostly faded from my living on Cyprus - but I saw that Putin was expected and the big news was an energy conference. I think this is were Putin and Erdogan are signing the pipe-line deal.

I saw where the attack happened at the airport ( June 2016) - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36658187 and a black marble memorial has been erected to the 40 plus victims - inscribed in Turkish and English.

If you use Turkish Airlines and have a long stay-over at IST - as the hub on an international link ( I was domestic to Intl.) one can get a free tour of the city or free accommodation.

http://istanbulinhours.com/

I understand that using IST - or any Turkish destination - might flag up as 'ssss' ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_Security_Screening_Selection ) for the TSA in the states ?

http://www.mightytravels.com/2015/09/what-does-ssss-mean-on-my-boarding-pass-and-why-this-probably-started-after-you-went-to-turkey/

I have said it before - I like TR airlines as they have good food ( metal knives and forks ), free drinks, great in-flight AV and often a 30 Kg hold baggage allowance. They are a heavily subsidised outfit.
34 Euros? How many copies of the Big Issue was that?  :ROFL:

Registration