The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia !  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia !
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 02:14:15 AM »
but JW oppress women, they deny their female members education

They ban education above high school or trade school for all members both male and female. I was offered scholarships both to the University of Minnesota and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. I had to turn them down and start my life out as a laborer at the Chicago North Western Railroad. Also I was facing the military draft. If drafted I would have had to add a Federal felony to my start in life for saying "No" to the draft board. Fortunately for me military conscription was ending.

Where JWs oppress women is they do not allow them to assume any sort of leadership positions. They cannot even lead the congregation in prayer if a baptized male is present. Even a 7 year old baptized boy is considered their spiritual head. But Ruth doesn't Judaism have somewhat similar beliefs and rules?

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
As you point out, there are many noble causes that do deserve support. When i was in NYC, somehow we ended up in front of the building where are JW headquarters. They are far from being poor and they are certainly not the organization to which i'd donate either. I give when i can, but also to trustworthy causes and organizations.

They have sold all their buildings in Brooklyn for a considerable profit. The started acquiring them in the 1800's. Now their headquarters is in up-State New York where the 'governing body' (all Men) live in country splendor. The place where the magazines and books are printed is called 'Bethel' (Hebrew 'House of God) the staff of hundreds if not thousands do not receive a salary or wage. They just get room and board and a small stipend for their personal needs. When they retire there is no pension for them or any Social Security as they have never paid into it. They just have to manage somehow. Where as the leaders get taken care of for life and get the adulation of the lower members as they are considered close to God. The JW organization, 'The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania'  has assets in the multi-billions. Yet they do not do charitable work for others. There are no JW hospitals or charities for the poor. All money collected flows to the top.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 04:15:26 AM »

They ban education above high school or trade school for all members both male and female. I was offered scholarships both to the University of Minnesota and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. I had to turn them down and start my life out as a laborer at the Chicago North Western Railroad. Also I was facing the military draft. If drafted I would have had to add a Federal felony to my start in life for saying "No" to the draft board. Fortunately for me military conscription was ending.

I think you were brave, it takes great personal courage to do what you did.

Where JWs oppress women is they do not allow them to assume any sort of leadership positions. They cannot even lead the congregation in prayer if a baptized male is present. Even a 7 year old baptized boy is considered their spiritual head. But Ruth doesn't Judaism have somewhat similar beliefs and rules?

Judaism has streams, most Israelis are secular (in Israeli understanding: most observe kashrut and main Holidays - like i do), most American Jews are Reform and Conservative. Education is a must, it's been traditionally the only "thing"  you could always take with you.
That's why it has such a tremendous value among Jewish people.  But it's not only us who figured it out, it's been said long ago "Omnia mea mecum porto."
As per service, in orthodoxy, both Jewish and Christian, traditionally there are no female rabbies/ priests.
For what i know, Orthodox value other kind of education - Biblical, Talmudic, it's not that they don't study, it's that they mostly don't pursue academic studies of secular subjects (for the lack of better wording.) They do study Yiddishkeit though, daily and for long hours.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:18 AM »

They have sold all their buildings in Brooklyn for a considerable profit. The started acquiring them in the 1800's. Now their headquarters is in up-State New York where the 'governing body' (all Men) live in country splendor. The place where the magazines and books are printed is called 'Bethel' (Hebrew 'House of God) the staff of hundreds if not thousands do not receive a salary or wage. They just get room and board and a small stipend for their personal needs. When they retire there is no pension for them or any Social Security as they have never paid into it. They just have to manage somehow. Where as the leaders get taken care of for life and get the adulation of the lower members as they are considered close to God. The JW organization, 'The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania'  has assets in the multi-billions. Yet they do not do charitable work for others. There are no JW hospitals or charities for the poor. All money collected flows to the top.

I know of several sects, of different religions, including non-Abrahamic, that do the same - they take from the "poor" and give to the rich. It really upsets me, especially the fact that they do it in the name of God. They made Greed their own false God  :( I wish they pushed political agendas, or some kind of products, and leave religion alone... Alas, as (i think) Hubbard said - the easiest way to make a million dollars is to start a religion  :duh: I realize it's probably the natural selection, but i can't not be upset about it. It's cruel imho.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams