The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia Asked to Intervene in Libya: Gaining Clout in Middle East  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Should Russia concentrate it's efforts only on Syria, or get involved in Libya as well?

Russia Asked to Intervene in Libya: Gaining Clout in Middle East

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/russia-asked-intervene-libya-gaining-clout-middle-east/ri16755
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Russia Asked to Intervene in Libya: Gaining Clout in Middle East
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »
They have a sound reason to act to protect the southern borders of the RF and also to prevent a domino effect overrunning the smaller countries that border the RF. The chances are that they can attain positive results with relatively little cost militarily, just as in Syria. Of course they will also gain in influence in the region. This tends to show up a weakness of using proxy forces, the USAian strategy. The proxies are never fully strong, can get out of hand but whatever happens can never be allowed, by their sponsors, to be as strong as a moderately strong national government - although it might have been a close run thing in Syria absent Russian, Iranian and Lebanese support.

It seems that the US is getting ready to see body bags with young Americans departing the Middle East though, perhaps they have realised that they need to up their game and either set aside their proxies or give them a somewhat stiffer backbone, much as they have been trying to do in Ukraine.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
They have a sound reason to act to protect the southern borders of the RF and also to prevent a domino effect overrunning the smaller countries that border the RF. The chances are that they can attain positive results with relatively little cost militarily, just as in Syria. Of course they will also gain in influence in the region. This tends to show up a weakness of using proxy forces, the USAian strategy. The proxies are never fully strong, can get out of hand but whatever happens can never be allowed, by their sponsors, to be as strong as a moderately strong national government - although it might have been a close run thing in Syria absent Russian, Iranian and Lebanese support.

Preventing a domino effect to contain communism was the US rationale behind getting involved in Vietnam. Russia should be very careful not to bite off more than they can chew as the effects are disastrous. And the USA has no proxy forces in Ukraine; that is utter nonsense. Ukrainians are on their own other than training for battle medicine and medical assistance.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
Confederate, there's absolutely no doubt that US forces (and from other NATO states) are active in Ukraine. They may not be wearing NATO uniforms, although often they do. Their role is primarily training but has been somewhat more active than that from time to time.

The various Ukrainian forces ARE proxies for NATO and the US but US/NATO have to be a little more circumspect than in the Middle East, that's certainly true.

Russia is engaged in a very different action in the Middle East to that of the US in Vietnam. You might have seen what has been happening in Syria for a clear example of that. Perhaps it is time to break out a history book? The domino effect here, to which I refer is that of states being disrupted and dismantled by NATO forces through their proxies with each one getting closer to the Russian border and their heavily Muslim neighbour states.

At this time it is probably worth noting that there is a real and large set of differences between sunni and shia muslims, differences that are very important to all these states, differences that are key to Russia's relationship with its own muslim communities and states as well as its neighbours. Probably most Americans have no idea what the differences are, or why they are significant.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
For now looks like Russian involvement is just a rumor. :coffeeread:

Russia & Egypt refute reports of Russian troop deployment on Libyan border

https://www.rt.com/news/380662-russia-libya-egypt-troops/

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
Can't believe how Western dicking about has  :censored: ed up Libya, and it's not because I lost a huge contract there literally three weeks days before it kicked off (Central Bank of Libya).

I checked FCO pages, said it's lawful and peaceful, almost no crime, just don't drive, they are mad.

Free flight a month, free accommodation in Palm City, free scran, zero tax, what was not to like.....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
Can't believe how Western dicking about has  :censored: ed up Libya, and it's not because I lost a huge contract there literally three weeks days before it kicked off (Central Bank of Libya).

I checked FCO pages, said it's lawful and peaceful, almost no crime, just don't drive, they are mad.

Free flight a month, free accommodation in Palm City, free scran, zero tax, what was not to like.....

My understanding is that Gadaffi no longer wanted to pay for oil with the US dollar, so boom! he had to go.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »
Can't believe how Western dicking about has  :censored: ed up Libya, and it's not because I lost a huge contract there literally three weeks days before it kicked off (Central Bank of Libya).

The call had been from Saif el-Islam Qaddafi, a high-ranking official in Libya’s government and a son of the country’s ruler, Moammar Qaddafi.

At the time I was leading efforts in the House to challenge the Obama administration’s war against Libya. The Qaddafi government reached out to me because its appeals to the White House and the State Department to forestall the escalating aggression had gone unanswered.

Before taking the call, I checked with the House’s general counsel to ensure that such a discussion by a member of Congress with a foreign power was permitted by law.

I was assured that under the Constitution a lawmaker had a fundamental duty to ask questions and gather information—activity expressly protected by the Article I clauses covering separation of powers and congressional speech and debate. I could and did ask questions of the younger Mr. Qaddafi.

On the Libyan end, the risk of the conversation was that whatever phone was used to call my office might serve as a homing beacon for a drone strike.

That possibility was minimized, I was told, by calling me on a cellphone that was used only once and then discarded.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/03/10/dennis-kucinich-im-no-fan-trumps-but-hes-got-point-about-wiretapping.html

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 12:42:57 AM »

Had you ever BEEN there, Ste ? 

I was in Benghazi - as the civil war was starting to kick off - entered via Egypt - Qaddafi ran Libya as his personal fiefdom and Benghazi folk weren't his tribe - so a new Hospital was only usable by a tiny minority - as a 'punishment'

Libya is another example of colonial map drawing over schisms that only dictators could keep together.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 06:41:06 AM »

Had you ever BEEN there, Ste ? 

I was in Benghazi - as the civil war was starting to kick off - entered via Egypt - Qaddafi ran Libya as his personal fiefdom and Benghazi folk weren't his tribe - so a new Hospital was only usable by a tiny minority - as a 'punishment'

Libya is another example of colonial map drawing over schisms that only dictators could keep together.

Secret Agent Moby strikes again! He's BEEN there, you haven't.  :coffeeread:

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 02:15:53 PM »

Fighting Terrorists the 'Russian' Way: Playtime Is Over For Al-Qaeda in Libya

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/bear-sightings-north-africa-mean-playtime-over-al-qaeda-libya/ri19224

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Russia and the Middle East Syrian Situation
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
Putin tells the world - 'Attacking Syria again? You'll need to get through me': Russian battleship is positioned between US warships and runway hit by Trump's air strike as Vladimir makes his move

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4388834/America-launches-airstrikes-Syria.html#ixzz4dakWrUi4
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
U.S. Launches Cruise Missiles at Syrian Air Base in Response to Chemical Attack

read more here
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-launches-cruise-missiles-at-syrian-regime-airbase-in-response-to-chemical-attack-1491528268
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »
Sen. Rand Paul: Syria, Trump and another unconstitutional rush to war
Every American condemns the atrocities in Syria, and we cannot help but be shaken by the images of innocent women and children dying.  It is also true that often in foreign policy, things are not as simple as they appear, and actions often have consequences well beyond the obvious.

It is for this very reason that the Founders wanted a deliberate, thoughtful foreign policy, and when military action was needed, they wanted it debated and authorized by Congress.

Make no mistake, no matter who is president or what their party is, it is my firm belief that the president needs congressional authorization for military action, as required by the Constitution. I call on this president to come to Congress for a proper debate over our role in Syria, just as I did in 2013 when President Obama contemplated acting in Syria.

read all about it here
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/04/07/sen-rand-paul-syria-trump-and-another-unconstitutional-rush-to-war.html

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
US missile strikes: Russia announces plan to bolster Syrian air defences and derides Trump over 'extremely low' effectiveness of bombing

Moscow accuses Washington of planning attack on airbase 'long before' a suspected chemical attack that American officials say triggered the action

read more here
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/us-missile-strike-russia-syria-air-defences-bolster-donald-trump-putin-low-extremely-low-effective-a7671921.html

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Putin Considers US Attack in Syria Aggression Against Sovereign State - Kremlin

The United States' missile strikes on a military airfield in Syria violates international law and represents an act of aggression against a sovereign state under a far-fetched pretext, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Friday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The US launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at the Syrian military airfield in Ash Sha'irat near Homs late Thursday. US President Donald Trump said the attack was a response to the alleged chemical weapon use in Idlib on Tuesday, which Washington blames on Damascus.

read more here
https://sputniknews.com/politics/201704071052387907-syria-us-strike-russia/

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
Russia says US air strikes in Syria came 'within an inch' of military clash with their forces
Satellite imagery suggests the base that was struck is home to Russian special forces and military helicopters

read more here
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/russia-us-air-strikes-syria-russia-within-inch-military-clash-war-dmitry-medvedev-prime-minister-a7672791.html

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »
Could World War 3 really happen?
The risks, the players and the weapons that might bring on the Apocalypse
Some claim that global conflict is closer than ever before

read all about it here
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2070034/world-war-3-trump-putin-chemical-nuclear-weapons/

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
Russian warship steams toward US destroyers that launched Syria strikes

read all about it here
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/07/russian-warship-steams-toward-us-destroyers-that-launched-syria-strikes.html

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
Nigel Farage and other right-wing populists turn on Donald Trump after missile strikes

Nigel Farage, Milo Yiannopoulos Katie Hopkins, right-wing vlogger Paul Joseph Watson, Ukip leader Paul Nuttall and Ukip donor Arron Banks are among the Trump supporters who have been disappointed by their hero.

read about it here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/nigel-farage-right-wing-populists-turn-donald-trump-missile/

Offline Contrarian

Re: Russia and the Middle East Syrian Situation
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
Nigel Farage and other right-wing populists turn on Donald Trump after missile strikes

Nigel Farage, Milo Yiannopoulos Katie Hopkins, right-wing vlogger Paul Joseph Watson, Ukip leader Paul Nuttall and Ukip donor Arron Banks are among the Trump supporters who have been disappointed by their hero.

read about it here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/nigel-farage-right-wing-populists-turn-donald-trump-missile/

and Confederate.  :laugh:

Actually I'm a bit disappointed but my attitude is wait and see. Trump has access to more information than we do.

Registration