The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Starting up in Ukraine  (Read 4271 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Starting up in Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 04:48:13 AM »
There's easier and easier. ;)

I absolutely understand the preference to have control over the whole process and, in many ways, if you have the expertise and resources that'd be easier for you to manage in the long term. On the other hand, given the parlous state of Ukrainian society and the rather, shall we say, backward nature of business dealings and business law over there, a situation that will not improve within the next decade or so, it might be easier (more practical) to enter into deals where you get the stock you want but where you can use more than one supplier to mitigate your risk.

If things go tits up with your manufacturing in a vertically integrated system then everything is lost. If things go wrong in a supplier/buyer relationship you wash your hands and move on.

Yes, I know, it is my opinion only, but I bet that you will find yourself in a JV setup of some kind if you try to integrate vertically and that'll be setting you up for loss at every turn.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 07:01:05 AM »
Personally, I would not consider opening any business in Ukraine at the moment..
There are too many hands which have to be greased....

Hmm, the same might be true of some other former Soviet States... why single out Ukraine ?
Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up.
He really did say that
Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:54 AM »
 Starting a business in Ukraine     It's Not April 1st is it? I thought those jokes were kept for April fools day.. :laugh:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »
Personally, I would not consider opening any business in Ukraine at the moment..
There are too many hands which have to be greased....

Hmm, the same might be true of some other former Soviet States... why single out Ukraine ?

It might be true about other FSU states, but the OP is talking about Ukraine, nowhere else..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online msmoby

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »

It might be true about other FSU states, but the OP is talking about Ukraine, nowhere else..

It certainly is true about other former FSU states - even our ' leader' referred to the need to grease palms - in the context of couriers - in Russia

If somebody wants to start a biz in an FSU country - they need to live there - lots - or have someone really close - trustworthy - preferably family - to circumvent 'issues' that western nations wouldn't face

He really did say that

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »
It should be called "Starting up in HELL" It would make a very interesting business documentary it may even be a good idea to suggest it to Channel 4 or something I think they would jump at the chance :)

I think you will loose every thing and go home broke with your tail behind your legs..Its life!

If you succeed then you would deserve a medal... I think defo get hold of a TV Channel to follow your progress..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »
Any start up anywhere is tough.

Both the UK and the Netherlands are it seems challenging.

The United States besides allot of lip service to small business is also raising the hurdles. In Ukraine you face other hurdles or barriers as well.

On the other side in all of the above countries you see successful start ups.

It depends less on the location and more on the commitment of those involved. Basically those here with a negative opinion are a bunch of moaning minnows with little more than arm chair expierence.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
It certainly is true about other former FSU states - even our ' leader' referred to the need to grease palms - in the context of couriers - in Russia

I prefaced it with the words my bet. I referred to no "need". It was simply my opinion and not based on intimate knowledge of the inside workings of the organisations involved. Source.

And one can start up in Estonia as an example of an FSU place, and one is unlikely to encounter much in the way of corruption.

But as noted, the OP is discussing Ukraine, not Russia or other FSU places.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online msmoby

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 03:34:13 AM »

I prefaced it with the words my bet. I referred to no "need". It was simply my opinion and not based on intimate knowledge of the inside workings of the organisations involved. Source.

Wow.. me thinks thou protest, too much .... 

And one can start up in Estonia as an example of an FSU place, and one is unlikely to encounter much in the way of corruption.

Estonia has had nearly twenty years free of the Soviet yolk and over 12 in the EU....

But as noted, the OP is discussing Ukraine, not Russia or other FSU places.

As, ever - lets concentrate on 'knocking' Ukraine and deny parallels elsewhere in the former  - non EU - nations of the FSU ?

I'm truly pleased if you believe Estonia is less corrupt

He really did say that

Offline SuperPanda

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
Right to clear a couple of things up;

Andrew, I looked at private label solutions, none of them came close to what we're looking to do. Admittedly it's very risky in Ukraine (and Russia) to attempt this kind of operation but it's a risk that were willing to take. I appreciate the advice and I am looking into other avenues as well as currently Ukraine is proving a right mare as factory location hasn't been found in anyway, shape or form.

Gipsy, hands would need to be greased whether this was in the FSU or the Balkans or Italy, it just costs a lot more to do it in the UK even taking into consideration the 'donations' one need to make in Ukraine.

Moby, the intention is that both myself and my business partner will be living in Ukraine (or wherever it's set up) for the foreseeable future in order to make sure it doesn't go completely tits up.

Steveboy, like everything when starting a business there's always a chance you'll close everything, it's a risk I'm prepared to take, only time will tell if it is the right choice or not.

AvHdB, I agree that starting up anywhere is a challenge and that it's more about the person you are than the set up.  If you're not strong willed and lack faith, you won't succeed.

Now on Tuesday I fly out to Kiev to meet some people that I've connected with through old contacts (completely out of the blue there but thankful) and then on Friday I head to St. Petersburg and Moscow to do something similar and meet up with my tinder girls. I may as we have some fun!  :smokin:

Thanks all for you help and opinions :)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »
Super Panda,

Please let us know the out come.

There might be a happy ending to this.

Av
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »
Any start up anywhere is tough.

Both the UK and the Netherlands are it seems challenging.

The United States besides allot of lip service to small business is also raising the hurdles. In Ukraine you face other hurdles or barriers as well.

On the other side in all of the above countries you see successful start ups.

It depends less on the location and more on the commitment of those involved. Basically those here with a negative opinion are a bunch of moaning minnows with little more than arm chair expierence.

Who are you calling a moaning minnow??
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

Gipsy, hands would need to be greased whether this was in the FSU or the Balkans or Italy, it just costs a lot more to do it in the UK even taking into consideration the 'donations' one need to make in Ukraine.

I am involved in 2 businesses in Ru, and so far no palms have needed to be greased...

I have a large family in Ukraine some with their own businesses, they barely survive after being forced to do some protection payments.

I was also pressed about this whilst undertaking my business there..

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
You never give any details like what kinds of businesses or where who had to be paid. So when it is all over with your statement do not mean anything. They are just vague comments.

Registration