The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to keep this exciting  (Read 5620 times)

Offline yankee

Re: How to keep this exciting
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

I have been married for 8.5 years, What is your problem?  Other than Manny, you and myself all other commentators are single.  Doesn't appear that their approach/methods have proven to be very successful.

every individual should have their own approach and do what is best for them.
Married + son who will turn 6 in a month.. And yes, I did comment upthread.

sorry I missed you.  my bad.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »

What's your problem? If he can afford it and thinks the lady is a real prospect, then go for a long weekend.

You only live once but I guess the negative guys always find excuses.

Mr. Yankee is never negative.
I would say he is well-balanced and highly appreciated here.

Yes, as a man, our hero must make it happen.
I mean to move relationships from virtual to real.
In other words, go and see her. Make it special.
But at some point, he will have to override sex drive and keep working.
His job is a foundation for solid relationships.
No one Russian woman will move to the US, UK, or other country knowing she is going to be in poverty.
They fed up with that in Russia/Ukraine.
His job will be the fist thing she will want to know about him.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 12:09:51 PM »
GO ASAP

How many jobs have you given up just to meet a girl?

I didn't say give up a job... but Kiev is what, 16h flight from Pittsburgh? being there just 2 days might make all the difference.

I agree fully.

and how successful have you been?

Yankee, everyone has their own way to success and to not be first time lucky or whatever, is not what I would classify as failure.

I am going to assume the best about you and that you were not taking a piss off me for actually trying, actually putting my money where my mouth is and actually getting on a plane. This is, AFTER ALL, a forum devoted FSU Adventures.

When I give up on this, you can tell me I was unsuccessful at this particular venture. And at that time you will be right.

In the meantime, I'll continue packing for Moscow. :)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

I have been married for 8.5 years, What is your problem?  Other than Manny, you and myself all other commentators are single.  Doesn't appear that their approach/methods have proven to be very successful.

every individual should have their own approach and do what is best for them.
Married + son who will turn 6 in a month.. And yes, I did comment upthread.

sorry I missed you.  my bad.

I also am married and received a royal Slavic earful this morning!

My advice is based on my expierence primarily in Ukraine and than mostly Kiev.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Jerash

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »

This is, AFTER ALL, a forum devoted FSU Adventures.

Thank you.
I am sure your exciting adventure will be successful!!!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »

Thank you.

Thank you, Orchid! I hope to start posting more about it soon as I begin my preparations in Earnest. First, I am moving out of my current flat - hopefully this week I will start the 2,200km drive West, where I will spend the next three months plotting and hatching my plans for relocation to Moscow in January :))) I can't wait really!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »

Thank you.

Thank you, Orchid! I hope to start posting more about it soon as I begin my preparations in Earnest. First, I am moving out of my current flat - hopefully this week I will start the 2,200km drive West, where I will spend the next three months plotting and hatching my plans for relocation to Moscow in January :))) I can't wait really!

I thought you told us you were near Ottawa?

Why would you need to travel West to reach Moscow in what is basically the East?

Even from Vancouver the connections to Moscow are better heading East from/towards Toronto or New York,

Offline Jerash

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »

Thank you.

I thought you told us you were near Ottawa?

Why would you need to travel West to reach Moscow in what is basically the East?

Even from Vancouver the connections to Moscow are better heading East from/towards Toronto or New York,

I'll be spending the next three months with family in the Winnipeg area while getting everything sorted.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
I'll be spending the next three months with family in the Winnipeg area while getting everything sorted.

Aah!

I have a friend who HAD to spend 12 weeks in Winnipeg during the winter he described it as 'the end of nowhere"

Offline Jerash

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »

Aah!

I have a friend who HAD to spend 12 weeks in Winnipeg during the winter he described it as 'the end of nowhere"

:ROFL: : ROFL: :ROFL:

I think it can feel like that, but having friends and family there and being from there helps.

But I don't doubt that one bit, I once had a similar feeling in Siberia (probably Irkutsk). I have also thought that Siberia (at least the part I saw) was very reminiscent of the Canadian Prairies!

12 weeks in winter, sheesh! Was it for work or as part of a penal arrangement? :) Presumably, his 12 week stint was 12 weeks after winter started and and ended 12 weeks before Winter gave up its grip? :))

Online AvHdB

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2016, 12:46:47 PM »

Aah!

I think it can feel like that, but having friends and family there and being from there helps.

But I don't doubt that one bit, I once had a similar feeling in Siberia (probably Irkutsk). I have also thought that Siberia (at least the part I saw) was very reminiscent of the Canadian Prairies!

12 weeks in winter, sheesh! Was it for work or as part of a penal arrangement? :) Presumably, his 12 week stint was 12 weeks after winter started and and ended 12 weeks before Winter gave up its grip? :))

He indicated it was the 12 weeks before the mud season.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »

Aah!

He indicated it was the 12 weeks before the mud season.

So he was especially unlucky. I hope it paid well.

Offline yankee

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
GO ASAP

I didn't say give up a job... but Kiev is what, 16h flight from Pittsburgh? being there just 2 days might make all the difference.

I agree fully.

Yankee, everyone has their own way to success and to not be first time lucky or whatever, is not what I would classify as failure.

I am going to assume the best about you and that you were not taking a piss off me for actually trying, actually putting my money where my mouth is and actually getting on a plane. This is, AFTER ALL, a forum devoted FSU Adventures.

When I give up on this, you can tell me I was unsuccessful at this particular venture. And at that time you will be right.

In the meantime, I'll continue packing for Moscow. :)

why would I say that?  I have never said that to anyone before why would I start with you?

Offline Jerash

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

Yankee, after I agreed with Slumba, your response was, "and how successful have you been?"  Please tell me how I was supposed to interpret the comment. :)

Offline yankee

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

Yankee, after I agreed with Slumba, your response was, "and how successful have you been?"  Please tell me how I was supposed to interpret the comment. :)

Jerash, give it a break.  You are taking it too personally.  Just do what is best for you. 

the comments are really to those who are  telling you what to do and they are still single. 

Offline Jerash

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
What was the appropriate interpretation for that comment? It was utterly bizarre at best. To whom were you asking that question?

Offline Jerash

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

Jerash, give it a break.  You are taking it too personally.  Just do what is best for you. 

the comments are really to those who are  telling you what to do and they are still single.
I suppose if you didn't specifically quote me, I wouldn't have interpreted your comment as specifically directed my way. :)

Offline Jerash

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
That guy is single and he probably appreciates hearing the perspective of both attached and single guys, all of which he can take something from or reject on his own.

I think he should go for it and see that girl as soon as possible. It sounds like he found a keeper but he and she both won't know til they meet. Wasting 3 hours of the day on Skype with an amazing girl sounds awesome, and sounds like worth everything. I didn't advise him to quit his job though, and nor did I suggest you quit your job. I assume, that if he or you did so, I would be your own decision with your own reasons for doing so and not because of some silly advice received in a chat forum :) ;)

Offline Texan77

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »

You need to go sooner rather than latter. You have two short options for a trip to Kiev. One over the Columbus Holiday and the next over Thanksgiving. I would aim for the Columbus Holiday.

Assuming you have a passport a flight to Kiev will take the following time Pittsburg > JFK 2 ~ 3 hours  JFK 1 ~ 2 hours transfer JFK > AMS/CDG 7 hours > CDG/AMS > KBP 3 hours time to center of Kiev 1 hour so max 16 hours plus bear in mind 6 or 7 hour time difference. Skip any airport such as Istanbul or Helsinki what you save in funds may very well be lost in travel aggravation. The cost for this flight will be around $1,400.= max. Be prepared for a couple hours down time in Kiev.

You need to get Miss Skype to Kiev and you need a two bedroom flat for a short term rental.

Ukrainian air has a direct flight from JFK to Kiev. It leaves just a little after midnight so if you could get to JFK before 10PM you could go just after work. I price it for a day in October and it was $720 round trip. The flight is ten hours each way.   
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Cobaka

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

I agree with those telling you not to risk your job, especially one that pays well and as you say; not many of them currently. You wouldn't risk your job with someone local most likely.

I would suggest seeing if you can telecommute and use online meetings. I have a job that I really cannot be away from, but I can telecommute and have done work remotely from all over the usa and am expecting to do that when I start making trips.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
Is it that some people cannot read?

NOBODY suggested the bloke risks his job, but people keep babbling about it.

Or, in the land of the free and the home of the braveTM, does asking for a few extra days off work automatically get your arse kicked onto the sidewalk?  :chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

I agree with those telling you not to risk your job, especially one that pays well and as you say; not many of them currently. You wouldn't risk your job with someone local most likely.

I would suggest seeing if you can telecommute and use online meetings. I have a job that I really cannot be away from, but I can telecommute and have done work remotely from all over the usa and am expecting to do that when I start making trips.

TBAH, I personally would NOT waste so much money in making a quick 2 days trip, nor risk losing any job, its just not worth it IMHO, especially if its a "No Go" at the end of it...

If the lass is interested in you in any form of seriousness, explain to her exactly when you will have holiday and for how long (example 10 days over New Year), that you wish to visit her then, she will fully understand and be in agreement..

If she isn't, then bin her...

The advantage of a holiday there, is, if things don't work out, you will still have a little time available to look around and get an idea of whats going on, even to meet someone else or 2..

Anyway, that's what I would do, and did many years ago, and it worked out perfectly...

Good Luck
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline andrewpttsbrgh

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
It seems things got a little heated.  Here’s what I took from it.  If she matters, just go get her.  Don’t be dumb, just get it done.  Thanksgiving was a really good idea so I listened.  I listened to Manny and talked to my boss about it.  I didn’t know this, but I actually get two days off for Thanksgiving so with the time I’ll have and the vacation days I can have a full week with her.

She does seem like a keeper.  I don’t know what I expected but not this.  She’s just a girl.  She’s got her good points and she’s got her bad points…so do I.  The only thing really special about her is she’s really special to me.  She busts my balls constantly.  She doesn’t try to impress me.  Last time I talked to her she just had her feet kicked up wearing fuzzy pink pajamas and a green robe.  All I really wanted was to find a regular girl to have fun with and enjoy life with.  So far she’s turning out to be that girl.

For the record, I’m 35, she just turned 32 and her name is Mila.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
It seems things got a little heated.  Here’s what I took from it.  If she matters, just go get her.  Don’t be dumb, just get it done.  Thanksgiving was a really good idea so I listened.  I listened to Manny and talked to my boss about it.  I didn’t know this, but I actually get two days off for Thanksgiving so with the time I’ll have and the vacation days I can have a full week with her.

She does seem like a keeper.  I don’t know what I expected but not this.  She’s just a girl.  She’s got her good points and she’s got her bad points…so do I.  The only thing really special about her is she’s really special to me.  She busts my balls constantly.  She doesn’t try to impress me.  Last time I talked to her she just had her feet kicked up wearing fuzzy pink pajamas and a green robe.  All I really wanted was to find a regular girl to have fun with and enjoy life with.  So far she’s turning out to be that girl.

For the record, I’m 35, she just turned 32 and her name is Mila.

That's just super. I'm glad you're going to go get to see her! I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress :)

Registration