The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to keep this exciting  (Read 5586 times)

Offline andrewpttsbrgh

• Trips: None Yet
How to keep this exciting
« on: September 17, 2016, 06:27:06 PM »
Hello,

It’s been years since I’ve done this.  I’ve tried the international dating in the past but wasn’t lucky enough to meet a wonderful lady.  Then over the summer I was watching the Olympics and saw the Ukrainian ladies competing.  It made me think of EM so I decided to do some window shopping.

One profile stuck out.  I signed up just to talk to her and decided if it worked great, if not, lesson learned.  Move on.

So far, things are going very well.  We video chatted for 3 or 4 hours today.  We had a lot of fun.  I like her.  Great sense of humor.  She’s a total goofball.  We’ve already discussed me coming to Ukraine.  I’m up for it.  I’ve got money saved, but there’s a problem.  At the very end of July I started a new job so I don’t have any vacation time to go and meet her.  I figured to be able to go visit for 8 or 9 days will take me to the beginning of January to earn the vacation time.  I told her.  She wasn’t exactly happy, but definitely didn’t make a big deal of it.  She just said, “Oh well, what are you gonna do.”

So the reason for this post is to ask how I keep her interested.  How we keep this fun for both of us until January.  For example, today, when we were talking, she giggling most of the time.  She was having fun with me.  That’s the way I’m going to work to keep it.  But being on the new end of this, I could use an idea, a thought or two on how others handled this kind of situation.  I do know it’s common…the long waits.
Thank you

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: How to keep this exciting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »
Get on the plane next week and make it happen at work. Take the pay cut, sick time, whatever. Ask them what needs to happen for you to have the time off.

By January, someone else might have gotten on the plane.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline yankee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »
Get on the plane next week and make it happen at work. Take the pay cut, sick time, whatever. Ask them what needs to happen for you to have the time off.

By January, someone else might have gotten on the plane.

I disagree.  The job is more important.  How long have you known her? not very long I guess.  My wife and I chatted almost every day for 1 to 2 hours for 6 months.  when her vacation time and my vacation time matched we met in Rome for a week 6-7 months after we met online.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »
Sounds like love is singing. Do you want to risk losing her? From what I've read, she's more important than the job. She needs to know you are serious. Like Manny, I would say to make it happen!

Offline yankee

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »
Sounds like love is singing. Do you want to risk losing her? From what I've read, she's more important than the job. She needs to know you are serious. Like Manny, I would say to make it happen!

Then fly over there for a weekend.In my case you would be asking me to give up a job that pays $120K+ a with a job specialty that makes it hard to find a job.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
Thanksgiving ain't that far off,  that's a four day weekend
If you can catch a flight out Wednesday evening you can spend a couple days with her and be back to work Monday.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »
GO ASAP
Anchors Rewoven

Offline yankee

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
If you can catch a flight out Wednesday evening you can spend a couple days with her and be back to work Monday.

sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline yankee

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 07:31:31 PM »
GO ASAP

How many jobs have you given up just to meet a girl?

Offline andrewpttsbrgh

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:36:03 PM »

First off, thank you to everyone who has responded.  I've been talking to her for about a month.  It's hard to say love is flying cause I haven't met her yet, but definitely something is flying here.  I've talked to FSU women in the past but this girl is not what I expected.  She's funny, she's a ballbuster.  I'm trying to think of the best way to say this, she doesn't try to impress me.  She's just comfortable with who she is.

But you right Tom, Thanksgiving could be perfect.  I logged on my work computer to see what my projected vacation time will be.  For Thanksgiving, I should have 43 hours which means I think I really could go and have some time to get to know her and have fun and see Kiev.  I can't wait now to talk to her tomorrow about it!

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
GO ASAP

I didn't say give up a job... but Kiev is what, 16h flight from Pittsburgh? being there just 2 days might make all the difference.
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Jerash

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »
GO ASAP

I didn't say give up a job... but Kiev is what, 16h flight from Pittsburgh? being there just 2 days might make all the difference.

I agree fully.

Offline yankee

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

and how successful have you been?

Offline Jerash

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

It means what exactly? And what does it have to do with the thread?

I agree fully with Slumba's statement that being there even just two days might make all the difference as it should put paid to any doubts the lady may have about this chap's seriousness.

Offline yankee

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 09:21:35 PM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

It means what exactly? And what does it have to do with the thread?

I agree fully with Slumba's statement that being there even just two days might make all the difference as it should put paid to any doubts the lady may have about this chap's seriousness.

You mean Tom Cat?  I agreed with him too.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
GO ASAP

Yankee, for you - what Slumba said above: "being there just two days might make all the difference." I think in that assessment, he's spot on.

Offline yankee

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
GO ASAP

Yankee, for you - what Slumba said above: "being there just two days might make all the difference." I think in that assessment, he's spot on.

Sounds very romantic.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 12:53:16 AM »

Then over the summer I was watching the Olympics and saw the Ukrainian ladies competing.  It made me think of EM so I decided to do some window shopping.

Why doesn't Kiev send a Babushka Brigade to the Olympics?

OK Andrew a couple hard suggestions, not knowing your age or your video's hottie's 'Miss Skype'. I would suggest the following.

You need to go sooner rather than latter. You have two short options for a trip to Kiev. One over the Columbus Holiday and the next over Thanksgiving. I would aim for the Columbus Holiday.

Assuming you have a passport a flight to Kiev will take the following time Pittsburg > JFK 2 ~ 3 hours  JFK 1 ~ 2 hours transfer JFK > AMS/CDG 7 hours > CDG/AMS > KBP 3 hours time to center of Kiev 1 hour so max 16 hours plus bear in mind 6 or 7 hour time difference. Skip any airport such as Istanbul or Helsinki what you save in funds may very well be lost in travel aggravation. The cost for this flight will be around $1,400.= max. Be prepared for a couple hours down time in Kiev.

You need to get Miss Skype to Kiev and you need a two bedroom flat for a short term rental. Once you meet Miss Skype in person you relationship will almost certainly hit a restart button. I would also have a plan B in case it is say hello and wave good bye.

The rest we can read about as you let us know.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 01:28:34 AM »
GO ASAP

Sometimes, 1 hour or even 5 minutes makes all the difference.

Within 5 minutes you usually know if you are physically attracted to eachother, from there on in, its all about personality.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 03:58:59 AM »
GO ASAP

Nobody suggested he leave his job. What I suggested was he talked to them and made it happen. Few people are indispensable enough that the firm cannot manage a few days without them. A firm wont fire someone for taking a few sick days.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 04:25:32 AM »
Well, if you are certain that there's nobody for you among the millions of women within a 100 mile radius of wherever you are then do what needs to be done.

On the other hand,  to what degree can one trust the discernment of a person, including oneself, if one is unable to find a compatible life partner within more sensible and easily managed geographic and cultural range?

Basically, don't risk your life and livelihood for what is almost certainly going to be a case of tilting at windmills.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Mr strange

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:04 AM »
Hello,

It’s been years since I’ve done this.  I’ve tried the international dating in the past but wasn’t lucky enough to meet a wonderful lady.  Then over the summer I was watching the Olympics and saw the Ukrainian ladies competing.  It made me think of EM so I decided to do some window shopping.

One profile stuck out.  I signed up just to talk to her and decided if it worked great, if not, lesson learned.  Move on.

So far, things are going very well.  We video chatted for 3 or 4 hours today.  We had a lot of fun.  I like her.  Great sense of humor.  She’s a total goofball.  We’ve already discussed me coming to Ukraine.  I’m up for it.  I’ve got money saved, but there’s a problem.  At the very end of July I started a new job so I don’t have any vacation time to go and meet her.  I figured to be able to go visit for 8 or 9 days will take me to the beginning of January to earn the vacation time.  I told her.  She wasn’t exactly happy, but definitely didn’t make a big deal of it.  She just said, “Oh well, what are you gonna do.”

So the reason for this post is to ask how I keep her interested.  How we keep this fun for both of us until January.  For example, today, when we were talking, she giggling most of the time.  She was having fun with me.  That’s the way I’m going to work to keep it.  But being on the new end of this, I could use an idea, a thought or two on how others handled this kind of situation.  I do know it’s common…the long waits.
Thank you

How to keep it interesting?

Flowers do the trick very well and the act of being romantic on a regular basis buys great time. She feels pursued to a point and are more positive loyal to you in the process.

Here is an Ukraine company that keeps my girl happy:  http://flowers.ua/en  I used them several times and I got nothing to complain about. They are 100% for the customer.

So get the address and phone. Say you got a surprice and its going to be good. Stick with that and do not tell her anything else. This builds trust as well. Something which will help you a lot. That is what she looks for as well. A man to trust.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
GO ASAP

Sounds very romantic.

What's your problem? If he can afford it and thinks the lady is a real prospect, then go for a long weekend.

You only live once but I guess the negative guys always find excuses.

Offline yankee

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
GO ASAP

Sounds very romantic.

What's your problem? If he can afford it and thinks the lady is a real prospect, then go for a long weekend.

You only live once but I guess the negative guys always find excuses.

I have been married for 8.5 years, What is your problem?  Other than Manny, you and myself all other commentators are single.  Doesn't appear that their approach/methods have proven to be very successful.

every individual should have their own approach and do what is best for them.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

I have been married for 8.5 years, What is your problem?  Other than Manny, you and myself all other commentators are single.  Doesn't appear that their approach/methods have proven to be very successful.

every individual should have their own approach and do what is best for them.
Married + son who will turn 6 in a month.. And yes, I did comment upthread.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria