The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to keep this exciting  (Read 899 times)

Offline andrewpttsbrgh

• Trips: None Yet
How to keep this exciting
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »
Hello,

It’s been years since I’ve done this.  I’ve tried the international dating in the past but wasn’t lucky enough to meet a wonderful lady.  Then over the summer I was watching the Olympics and saw the Ukrainian ladies competing.  It made me think of EM so I decided to do some window shopping.

One profile stuck out.  I signed up just to talk to her and decided if it worked great, if not, lesson learned.  Move on.

So far, things are going very well.  We video chatted for 3 or 4 hours today.  We had a lot of fun.  I like her.  Great sense of humor.  She’s a total goofball.  We’ve already discussed me coming to Ukraine.  I’m up for it.  I’ve got money saved, but there’s a problem.  At the very end of July I started a new job so I don’t have any vacation time to go and meet her.  I figured to be able to go visit for 8 or 9 days will take me to the beginning of January to earn the vacation time.  I told her.  She wasn’t exactly happy, but definitely didn’t make a big deal of it.  She just said, “Oh well, what are you gonna do.”

So the reason for this post is to ask how I keep her interested.  How we keep this fun for both of us until January.  For example, today, when we were talking, she giggling most of the time.  She was having fun with me.  That’s the way I’m going to work to keep it.  But being on the new end of this, I could use an idea, a thought or two on how others handled this kind of situation.  I do know it’s common…the long waits.
Thank you

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: How to keep this exciting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:30:48 AM »
Get on the plane next week and make it happen at work. Take the pay cut, sick time, whatever. Ask them what needs to happen for you to have the time off.

By January, someone else might have gotten on the plane.
Gordon Gekko: "The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Online yankee

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 03:02:59 AM »
Get on the plane next week and make it happen at work. Take the pay cut, sick time, whatever. Ask them what needs to happen for you to have the time off.

By January, someone else might have gotten on the plane.

I disagree.  The job is more important.  How long have you known her? not very long I guess.  My wife and I chatted almost every day for 1 to 2 hours for 6 months.  when her vacation time and my vacation time matched we met in Rome for a week 6-7 months after we met online.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online Jerash

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:07 AM »
Sounds like love is singing. Do you want to risk losing her? From what I've read, she's more important than the job. She needs to know you are serious. Like Manny, I would say to make it happen!

Online yankee

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 03:10:18 AM »
Sounds like love is singing. Do you want to risk losing her? From what I've read, she's more important than the job. She needs to know you are serious. Like Manny, I would say to make it happen!

Then fly over there for a weekend.In my case you would be asking me to give up a job that pays $120K+ a with a job specialty that makes it hard to find a job.

Online Tom Cat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:21:44 AM »
Thanksgiving ain't that far off,  that's a four day weekend
If you can catch a flight out Wednesday evening you can spend a couple days with her and be back to work Monday.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:28:56 AM »
GO ASAP
Anchors Rewoven

Online yankee

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:29:44 AM »
If you can catch a flight out Wednesday evening you can spend a couple days with her and be back to work Monday.

sounds like a good idea to me.

Online yankee

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:31:31 AM »
GO ASAP

How many jobs have you given up just to meet a girl?

Offline andrewpttsbrgh

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:36:03 AM »

First off, thank you to everyone who has responded.  I've been talking to her for about a month.  It's hard to say love is flying cause I haven't met her yet, but definitely something is flying here.  I've talked to FSU women in the past but this girl is not what I expected.  She's funny, she's a ballbuster.  I'm trying to think of the best way to say this, she doesn't try to impress me.  She's just comfortable with who she is.

But you right Tom, Thanksgiving could be perfect.  I logged on my work computer to see what my projected vacation time will be.  For Thanksgiving, I should have 43 hours which means I think I really could go and have some time to get to know her and have fun and see Kiev.  I can't wait now to talk to her tomorrow about it!

Online Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 03:53:43 AM »
GO ASAP

I didn't say give up a job... but Kiev is what, 16h flight from Pittsburgh? being there just 2 days might make all the difference.
Anchors Rewoven

Online Jerash

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 04:51:57 AM »
GO ASAP

I didn't say give up a job... but Kiev is what, 16h flight from Pittsburgh? being there just 2 days might make all the difference.

I agree fully.

Online yankee

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 05:01:21 AM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

and how successful have you been?

Online Jerash

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 05:15:18 AM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

It means what exactly? And what does it have to do with the thread?

I agree fully with Slumba's statement that being there even just two days might make all the difference as it should put paid to any doubts the lady may have about this chap's seriousness.

Online yankee

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 05:21:35 AM »
GO ASAP

I agree fully.

It means what exactly? And what does it have to do with the thread?

I agree fully with Slumba's statement that being there even just two days might make all the difference as it should put paid to any doubts the lady may have about this chap's seriousness.

You mean Tom Cat?  I agreed with him too.