The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tim in Ukraine-Interpreter and Guide  (Read 4104 times)

Offline TimInUkraine

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Tim in Ukraine-Interpreter and Guide
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »
Hello Guys,

My name is Tim and I’m here with a unique proposal:

I’m a native English speaker, +fluent+ in Russian.

I’m a full time resident of Kiev and found my special girl here.

If you need a friendly, trustworthy interpreter send me a PM or email.
I’ve been through it all myself, so who can be more useful than someone with first hand experience?

Business, Relationships, or day-to-day living -I can help.

Cheers,
Tim In Ukraine

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Tim in Ukraine-Interpreter and Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
Welcome to RUA.

Tim perhaps providing more background and your perspective would be useful for some of the members posting.

I think an independent translator might be useful to some members today in Kiev.

NB: please bear in mind the owners/moderators have certain protocols for a professional (in the business) member joining, please make sure you abide by these rules/requests.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline TimInUkraine

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:14:53 AM »
Hi AvHdB, thanks for your warm welcome.

I've been living in Ukraine for several years now and have a good feel of the place. I hope my experience can be useful to some members here.

Yes, I am an independent interpreter - I work in person doing spoken translation for individual clients.
I like Kiev, its a nice city with great people once you get to know the place. I think there are plenty of opportunities here if you take the time and care to do it right.

Best of luck to all in their endeavors.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »
You may wish to translate the sticky post: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,3071.0.html

We would welcome you as an actively contributing member before you use us as an advertising venue.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
Tim, so you understand Manny owns this site. I suspect he would be grateful if you shared your expierence and your inslghts.

Since I will guess you have seen both the Orange and Maidan revolutions you might want to share some insights.

Or if politics are not your thing what about the museums of Kiev.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:51:55 PM »
Or any other observations about living in Kiev would also be quite interesting and valued readers. I did lately get the feeling, however, that most pro-Ukraine members aren't here anymore or at least not posting?  Is that seem like the case to anyone else? 

Offline TimInUkraine

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 01:34:10 AM »
Hi all,

Manny, thanks for sending me that link. I'll do my best to contribute to your site. I remember reading your book a few years back and found it very useful. Thanks for your contributions to those who love having Russian-Ukrainian adventures!

Yes, I've been here for quite some time and seen a lot of stuff.
However, I don't get into politics. I'm usually busy working and expanding my business circle these days. Maybe during my vacation time :)

AVdbH/Jerash,
As for my experiences, I worked as a English teacher when I first arrived as do 90%+ of guys who relocate. I rented flats and got scammed sometimes, I got into some tricky situations because I was unaware of what was happening. Sure, its tough sometimes but I love my life.

Do you have any specific questions you wanted to ask?

I like a lot of the Kiev museums: Pyrogiv Open air architecture museum is a unique place. I like the National history museum, but would probably do without the tour guide next time (even in Russian it wasn't worth it, I can't imagine how dull it must be in English). Then again, I dislike tour guides in general and always prefer to do my own exploring. I've heard good things about the WW2 museum but haven't been yet. The Rodina mat statue is cool to see and I remember they used to have patriotic music playing as you walked amongst the tanks there, very atmospheric! Of course, the UNESCO heritage site is a must see- Kiev Pechersk Lavra. I go there from time to time and walk there from Aresnalna metro station. Its a great walk through the park on a sunny day with roses in bloom and the Dnipro river sparkling below. Climbing the bell tower at the Lavra is well worth the effort too- beautiful panorama of Kiev.

Do you guys have any tips on places I haven't yet seen? I'd be most welcome to hear your favorite spots in Kiev :)

Cheers,
Tim

Offline Jerash

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »
Hi Tim, thanks for sharing your experiences and a little bit about yourself. I admire your courage as many wouldn't dare to do what you have done. How long have you been living in Kiev, might I ask?  Also, where are you from originally.

I'm planning a relocation to Moscow in the new year, so I'm sure you would have a number of helpful tips for me with regard to taking the plunge!

I visited Kiev last year. It was a nice city to visit and, as a first timer, I enjoyed just strolling around and exploring.

I can give at least one recommendation. If you haven't already discovered it yourself, I really enjoyed Пузата Хата, a chain of restaurants that offered quick, cheap, and tasty Ukrainian dishes! :))
http://www.puzatahata.ua/

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
I like a lot of the Kiev museums: Pyrogiv Open air architecture museum is a unique place. I like the National history museum, but would probably do without the tour guide next time (even in Russian it wasn't worth it, I can't imagine how dull it must be in English). Then again, I dislike tour guides in general and always prefer to do my own exploring. I've heard good things about the WW2 museum but haven't been yet. The Rodina mat statue is cool to see and I remember they used to have patriotic music playing as you walked amongst the tanks there, very atmospheric! Of course, the UNESCO heritage site is a must see- Kiev Pechersk Lavra. I go there from time to time and walk there from Aresnalna metro station. Its a great walk through the park on a sunny day with roses in bloom and the Dnipro river sparkling below. Climbing the bell tower at the Lavra is well worth the effort too- beautiful panorama of Kiev.

I have often admired the Rodina Mat statue on my way in from KBP.  The WWII museum,which also now contains artifacts from the War in the East, is well worth the visit and the view from top is quite nice also.

Do you guys have any tips on places I haven't yet seen? I'd be most welcome to hear your favorite spots in Kiev :)

My favorite spots in Kiev generally involved booze and/or steak, so BEEF and Goodman.   I also enjoy walks on peizhasna alley, looking out over the park, and if you haven't been out to Janukovich's palace it's quite nice also. 

One thing I haven't found, although admittedly I haven't looked all that hard, would be the equivalent of ARK Spa in Odessa, which has a pool, saunas, banyas, baths and a variety of massages (of the therapeutic variety) on offer.  If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »

One thing I haven't found, although admittedly I haven't looked all that hard, would be the equivalent of ARK Spa in Odessa, which has a pool, saunas, banyas, baths and a variety of massages (of the therapeutic variety) on offer.  If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

B/B

I recall visiting a large Soviet period spa center on the left bank years ago, I guess it has been spruced up by now. The spa pool complex in Perchesk is quite small.

A couple years ago I went to semi private banya center south of Kiev that was a memorable time.

Offline Enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »
Hi Tim and welcome. I sent you a PM the other night and hope you can help me out.

Offline TimInUkraine

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 07:18:09 AM »
Jerash, I'm from the USA, what about yourself?

Yes, Puzata Hata is a great place. i was there just a couple hours ago! Perfect for a quick lunch in betwee appointments.
Send my a PM if you have any questions. or ukraineconsulting@email.ua

B.B. I keep hearing good things about BEEF. I have to try it out some day.

As for spas, I tried a run down place near the last metro station.  I needed hot water and they had turned off that luxury for the whole neighborohood.
Being sick of ice cold showers, I stepped into this place run by an old Armenian guy. Lukewarm at best and they had bugs in the sauna room. At least I got a good shower.

On the other hand, my friend visited a large, modern sauna near the Golosiivski area and had a great time with him and his girlfriend. Usually, you can ask to tour the facility before paying which I strongly recommend.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Tim !

My other half is Eussian and you'll find many guys with Russian / eth Russian roots have some bizarre opinions about Ukrainans and the dating scene... let alone politics.

If we listened to some...Ukraine is full of scammers and men seeking partners should avoid it !))
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline TimInUkraine

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 02:29:34 AM »
Thanks for the welcome msmoby. I listen carefully to all opinions but I remain fully neutral. I look for business contacts and try to make money.

I know some people that wouldn't do a business deal with a Russian, or others who wouldn't do deals with a Ukrainian. All money is green, what does it matter about someones religion/ethnicity/skin color :)

As to Ukraine being full of scammers, I wouldn't say its any more or less scammy than other places. I've been to many countries around the world- Asia/Latin America/ Eastern Europe.
Most people around the world want to get the best deal they can for themselves. If someone started giving you things for free you'd be happy, but would you respect them? No- you'd call them a fool and a chump.

The same thing is true for Ukraine or any country in the world. If you have something to offer and can market yourself- you can succeed.
Best of luck to all those working towards success!