The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Therapeutic Use Exemptions  (Read 257 times)

Online Jerash

• Trips: 1-5
Therapeutic Use Exemptions
« on: September 14, 2016, 03:59:32 AM »
This is interesting indeed! While I have heard of many athletes getting into trouble for use of benign medications that any of us may use to fight a cold or flu, this is the first I have ever heard about "Therapeutic Use Exemptions"! I will be interested to know if the TUE stats skew towards any particular block of countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-37352326

What a joke the Olympics is!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Therapeutic Use Exemptions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
This is interesting indeed! While I have heard of many athletes getting into trouble for use of benign medications that any of us may use to fight a cold or flu, this is the first I have ever heard about "Therapeutic Use Exemptions"! I will be interested to know if the TUE stats skew towards any particular block of countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-37352326

What a joke the Olympics is!

Besides your rather snide comment regarding Olympic athletes. The article contains nothing of substance, for an athlete with a proven medical condition a dispensation (exemption) is available, this is a simple fact.

I used Ritalin, and the agreement was not to use the drug within 24 hours of an competition. Simples eh? Ritalin worked for about six hours back than so you know.

I wish though there was a medication for grunting on the court (or stupidity on RUA)
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
For those doing sports where hyper-focus is useful such as some gymnastics events or tennis then the use of Ritalin before competitions is really handy.

The body has a thing called muscle memory where if the body is trained enough on a movement it can carry out the movement subconsciously. We see this in everyday life with car radios. In the days of push buttons and tuning knobs one could set up a car stereo without looking at the head unit. That was muscle memory, repetition of a muscular event over and over again.

Now we have head units with very few buttons and where we navigate through menus - these are very distracting because we MUST take our eyes off the road to use them making them more dangerous to use.

So what sez you!

Well, if one uses Ritalin to get into a state of enhanced concentration then one can perform better than without the aid of drugs, makes sense, yes?

OK, so, if one trains enough at the level of concentration such that one gets greater accuracy and better movement then muscle memory takes over and enables better performance WITHOUT chemical assistance because what could not have been learned without the aid of drugs is now part of the athlete's 'programing'.

I know at first hand of the benefits of using such chemical assistance, it isn't just the competition that is important, getting to the competition is, its the training, the repetition, the internalisation! If AvHdB has ADD issues then, in his sport, I can see that doing as he was allowed to do is OK. I'd be much less certain of that in some other disciplines. Thing is though, how come this was secret before? Was it a secret?

Judging by the reaction of WADA there's something up. My guess is there's much more to this than we know about right now, WADA knows though...

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »
About 20 years ago I stopped using Ritalin. My use was limited. Bear in mind I did not have Olympic aspirations but competed in a discipline using Olympic equipment. It was not a secret, but in fact few dyslexics can compete in sports at a high level is my guess.

As for muscle memory I had/have other issues and I can not comment there, my own expierence was Ritalin and I also tried variations, was very mental focus oriented. It would not surprise me if in the near future we see Ritalin added to the banned drugs by WADA.

As I have mentioned before I have dyslexia (and Andrew suffers from this fact). My own opinion is that Ritalin and a picknick basket of other drugs are highly over prescribed in American today to children. It is far better to learn the coping skills.

Offline Orchid

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »
Thing is though, how come this was secret before? Was it a secret?

It is not your f.....g business, Sweetheart.
If you wait for another three years, I might write a prescription for you.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »

Please wait a bit longer he is already hyper enough!

Offline Orchid

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:25:19 PM »

Please wait a bit longer he is already hyper enough!

I cannot wait longer.
I am fed up with school.
Three years, and no more!!!!!!!!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Orchid, sometimes your, normally very good, English maybe lets you down?

I was referring not to myself but to the WADA and their procedures and also to the medical resumes of athletes on the database.

It would seem odd that, for example, a state actor such as Russia (as has been accused) would bother to publicise the use of these drugs if it was normal practice to give out 'exemptions' to anyone claiming a fake illness (and ADD, in the USA is as fake as fake can be). Then, of course, if such a thing was normal then wouldn't other athletes also know about this issue? They'd surely know that their colleague tennis players were taking drugs that enhance their ability to concentrate on the ball; that gymnasts were training on drugs that gave them hyperfocus enabling them to perform better on, for example, the bar, to a degree that would seem superhuman to a non doping human?

As I say, I don't know these things, and I'd love to know the answers but I am not seeing anything from the WADA that tells me that such exemptions are entirely normal practice and that the athletes who have them are known to have them, that they are not a secret.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Orchid

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »

My Dear,
You exceed in your English at more degree than I fail.
That allows you to be very manipulative.
May I ask you to be simple and teach me English?
I am running out of tender words for you.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
This is a guess, but I suspect the positive effect of 'Ritalin' or any of the variations decreases with continuous use.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »

My Dear,
You exceed in your English at more degree than I fail.
That allows you to be very manipulative.
May I ask you to be simple and teach me English?
I am running out of tender words for you.

Please teach Andrew to assume The position to start.

:dh:   :knit:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
Orchid, how might I help you? Please contact me by PM to discuss the form of your teaching. However, I'd suggest working with a trained coach, I am not and may not have the best techniques for dealing with your needs and case.

AvHdB, yes, continuous use of Ritalin does decrease the effectiveness of the drug, however not all drugs of this type have that problem. In addition, used to help with coaching, for example, one would not need to use it all the time - bear in mind that the athletes in question are probably no more ill than I am.

If I recall correctly it seems that US athletes HAVE been found with this drug in their system during competition testing but been given the out by their WADA documentation. That's, if correct, a very big concern, as I am sure you'd agree given your history and what you have just shared with us.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
(Un)fortunately I do not have enough expierence with said drug. As I recall Ritalin is a form of LSD.

Was it not Bode Miller who ran into trouble with illegal drugs during an Olympic event.

Offline Orchid

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
Orchid, how might I help you? Please contact me by PM to discuss the form of your teaching.

No PM's, Sunshine.
This is my strict rule. Everything is open to the public.
PM communication is an extreme situation because I can flirt you to death.
I need an informed consent for that signed by all members of this forum.
What are they going to do without you?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 09:28:08 PM »
Orchid, how might I help you? Please contact me by PM to discuss the form of your teaching.

No PM's, Sunshine.
This is my strict rule. Everything is open to the public.
PM communication is an extreme situation because I can flirt you to death.
I need an informed consent for that signed by all members of this forum.
What are they going to do without you?

As some are aware I am also against PM's if you can not say it in public most likely you should be saying it at all.