The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: looking to find a nice guy for my sister in law  (Read 7530 times)

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: looking to find a nice guy for my sister in law
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 09:28:12 AM »
Believers come in all gradations and that applies to Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc.

I know many people in UK who would state their religion as C of E but who haven't attended a church service in years!

Similarly I know Turkish people who say they are Muslims but drink alcohol and never observe Ramadan.

You are unlikely to have many issues with a Muslim who does not observe their religion strictly.  I know several Slavic women who are married to Turkish men, there are few problems with religion because both sides are relaxed about their beliefs.

People who follow their religion strictly are unlikely to consider a partner from another religion.  If they do then they are likely to insist on conversion to their religion.

Forget about feminism with most Muslim women.  They have been brought up to see men as the bosses.  They wait on their menfolk and do ALL the household chores.  My wife often comments on this insisting that I must help  ;D

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
While I find the discussion interesting until one is willing to have the courage to get on plane and fly to Russia, the Stans or Ukraine to meet a woman the discussions and merits of a woman are academic.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline yankee

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »
While I find the discussion interesting until one is willing to have the courage to get on plane and fly to Russia, the Stans or Ukraine to meet a woman the discussions and merits of a woman are academic.

Actually, we went to Italy then to Spain and then France before I went to Russia.  I did not go to Russia until we decided to get married.  After Russia she came to the US and spent the summer with me and again that year to celebrate Christmas and New Years.  The next time I traveled to Russia was to get married.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:34 AM »
Similarly I know Turkish people who say they are Muslims but drink alcohol and never observe Ramadan.

Some of the Glasgow muzzies crack me up. We drove down past Loch Lomond on a warm Sunday bank holiday weekend and Glasgow's finest spilled out the city and into the country. Along with the usual trash, we spotted numerous Asian blokes in shorts & T's carrying cases of lager whilst their fully Burka'd wives followed behind carrying the Bbq stuff.

I mean really?  :'(

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 07:28:17 AM »

Some of the Glasgow muzzies crack me up. We drove down past Loch Lomond on a warm Sunday bank holiday weekend and Glasgow's finest spilled out the city and into the country. Along with the usual trash, we spotted numerous Asian blokes in shorts & T's carrying cases of lager whilst their fully Burka'd wives followed behind carrying the Bbq stuff.

I mean really?  :'(

Was the meat kosher?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Interesting perspective. 

What characteristics make them better wives? 

I could see them being more faithful due to the tabu associated with sex in their religion. 

What happened with the ones you dated that it did not work out in the end? 

I was told by a taxi driver in Moscow that to them their husband is like a God.  Not sure what to make of it. 

I have noticed some Russian women do have a bad attitude sometimes.  Not all, just some.  They can come off a bit harsh sometimes.
Like I said they come in all flavors, but basically you need to meet them and find out what they're about.

I do think that the Russian "muslims' are a much tighter knit group than Russians generally speaking.

As far as my personal info, well, it's personal. :)

Bottom line: I wouldn't discount a woman for the reasons some guys here are given.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »
I agree Dan. 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
Another agreeing with Dan here. Russian "Muslims' on the whole cannot really be grouped as one into the negative variety we have many of in the UK/EU (and I assume the US). In Russia they come in all hues and shades (colour and otherwise), and the ones I have met seem to be regular folks of another religious flavour; but one that doesn't stifle their interaction with others. In the same way we might think of Catholics, Baptists, Hindus, etc. (if one is C of E for example) Meeting them you often won't know immediately as it won't crop up. It ain't all burkas, stoning and chopping heads off in Russia. Like anywhere inhabited by half-sensible people, folks just want to get along with others, get on with life and build relationships like anyone else.

As you head east beyond Kazan and through the Stans, it probably becomes more fervent, but you will not get to interact with those folks. But anecdotal evidence suggests even in those places it is quite hit and miss and all shades of belief exist to the extent that many will form relationships with non-Muslims.

As anti-Islamic as I am in the context of how it exhibits itself in the UK, if single and looking to the FSU, I wouldn't necessarily rule out a Muslim woman that otherwise floated my boat and expressed an interest in me. I'd go and meet her and make my mind up on an individual level. If her belief system did not negatively impact the relationship of my lifestyle, I'd look at it with an open mind.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
I have had at least one Muslim girlfriend, I certainly found no problems with that once we sorted out just how much pork in a dish was acceptable; turned out this was not a fixed thing and was negotiable. I say at least one because it isn't something I ask about. If it was something that was going to be a big thing then chances are that there would be no relationship for the reasons shared upthread. That means having a discussion about religion (any religion) because it is a significant enough thing in one's life is, in my experience, a sign that things are unlikely to go well.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
I had a very long relationship with a Muslim girl when in my early twenties. Her religion was never an issue as she was a city girl and quite liberated. Smoked, drank, had sex.
The relationship faltered because I wanted to travel and see the world and she didn't.

Offline Manny

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
once we sorted out just how much pork in a dish was acceptable;

I had a very long relationship with a Muslim girl when in my early twenties. Her religion was never an issue as she was a city girl and quite liberated. Smoked, drank, had sex.

The two quotes above demonstrate my point well. Imagine the girl smokes like a factory chimney but won't make you a bacon butty for the rest of your days? For me those small things might cause pain. I love bacon butties, and although I smoke myself, I dont find it terribly endearing in women. Neither alone might be deal breakers, but it demonstrates a level of incompatibility before you start. And the "no pork" thing many blokes will find unnecessary.

Could you confine your bacon butty munching to cafes? Perhaps in exchange for an otherwise great wife you may make that compromise. On the other hand, you may pump Malboro like a factory chimney and hate pork by choice. So no pain for you.

Its very individual.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
Another agreeing with Dan here. Russian "Muslims' on the whole cannot really be grouped as one into the negative variety we have many of in the UK/EU (and I assume the US). In Russia they come in all hues and shades (colour and otherwise), and the ones I have met seem to be regular folks of another religious flavour; but one that doesn't stifle their interaction with others. In the same way we might think of Catholics, Baptists, Hindus, etc. (if one is C of E for example) Meeting them you often won't know immediately as it won't crop up. It ain't all burkas, stoning and chopping heads off in Russia. Like anywhere inhabited by half-sensible people, folks just want to get along with others, get on with life and build relationships like anyone else.

As you head east beyond Kazan and through the Stans, it probably becomes more fervent, but you will not get to interact with those folks. But anecdotal evidence suggests even in those places it is quite hit and miss and all shades of belief exist to the extent that many will form relationships with non-Muslims.

As anti-Islamic as I am in the context of how it exhibits itself in the UK, if single and looking to the FSU, I wouldn't necessarily rule out a Muslim woman that otherwise floated my boat and expressed an interest in me. I'd go and meet her and make my mind up on an individual level. If her belief system did not negatively impact the relationship of my lifestyle, I'd look at it with an open mind.

Manny, and if you would ave a child with a Soviet Muslim, then to what faith would the child subscribe? 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »
If she is a 'Soviet' Muslim then the chances are that her childbearing days are behind her. The Soviet Union shut up shop more than a generation ago.

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
If she is a 'Soviet' Muslim then the chances are that her childbearing days are behind her. The Soviet Union shut up shop more than a generation ago.

I just dated one this summer that was born in 1984.  She can still have children.  I am referring to either a Russian Muslim or a Central Asian Muslim. 

If one were to marry such a woman and have children, then what religion would the children be.  Basically the question is if a Christian man would be willing to have Muslim children or vice versa. 

Offline Jerash

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
once we sorted out just how much pork in a dish was acceptable;

The two quotes above demonstrate my point well. Imagine the girl smokes like a factory chimney but won't make you a bacon butty for the rest of your days? For me those small things might cause pain. I love bacon butties, and although I smoke myself, I dont find it terribly endearing in women. Neither alone might be deal breakers, but it demonstrates a level of incompatibility before you start. And the "no pork" thing many blokes will find unnecessary.

Could you confine your bacon butty munching to cafes? Perhaps in exchange for an otherwise great wife you may make that compromise. On the other hand, you may pump Malboro like a factory chimney and hate pork by choice. So no pain for you.

Its very individual.

This is a really insightful comment. It is very individual.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »

I just dated one this summer that was born in 1984.  She can still have children.  I am referring to either a Russian Muslim or a Central Asian Muslim. 

If one were to marry such a woman and have children, then what religion would the children be.  Basically the question is if a Christian man would be willing to have Muslim children or vice versa.

The formative experiences of a girl born in 1984 would be post Soviet.

Each person is different and, unless I misunderstand, you are seeking some kind of rule of thumb to understand all these women by.

The question about what religion the children would be is one that you should be asking your lady or the girl you get into a relationship with. She will have the answer :)

Offline Manny

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2016, 01:08:47 AM »

Manny, and if you would ave a child with a Soviet Muslim, then to what faith would the child subscribe?

Again, that would be a personal thing. I wouldn't be comfortable with a Muslim kid personally, but there are plenty of blokes like Moby and Ste who would love going down the mosque or having their arse in the air twice a day wailing.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2016, 03:56:58 AM »
Omega, you missed the point.  Let me make it easy for you. Your language tells us about how you think;that's normal. By using a term that is very anachronistic you are telling us two things:
1) you are applying outmoded ideas to modern people and situations.
2) you are not treating the people you meet as individuals or equals.

Neither of these things will help you in making a relationship.

Understand that the people you meet exist in a culture that is vibrant,  alive and most definitely not 'Soviet' and that they are individuals who do not fall into your convenient, but useless, categories.

Treat people as people, not as machines or reflections of your mental constructs and I promise you that you will find much more success than you do right now.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »
To be fair, if a muslim bird's willing to date and potentially marry a western bloke - then she ain't one of the fanatical fantasists. I think the ones where you might have a few problems, wouldn't even consider dating a white western bloke for fear of offending their sky wizard or an honour killing.

Offline iceman_530

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2016, 07:16:22 AM »
I may have another in the pipeline in the works for interested folks as well.  35 year old from Moscow, blonde, great figure.  Pics to come, will bug my wife to bug her friend when she wakes up. 

I hear a lot of the panic mongering that the FSU pipeline is over, rumors of that demise has been greatly exaggerated in my opinion.  You may have to work a taaaad harder but you can still land your trophy exponentially easier than the US or western/southern europe IMO.

So yes, more to come, gotta talk to my friend of a friend.  Another I can personally vouch for that spreads the demographic a bit out.

Offline iceman_530

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
as promised, Svetlana, 35 years old, much more across the age demographic spectrum.  Ethnic Russian obviously, very active as youll see in the pictures

Offline iceman_530

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2016, 09:47:11 AM »
one more

Offline Jerash

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
She looks like a very nice girl :)

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
Why do you post her pictures?
I would leave my man the minute I know he is not able to keep our relationships private.
She might do the same.
I understand your excitement and wish to share your feelings and success.
There is an area on forum where you can do it freely.
That area cannot be Googled.

Offline Manny

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
Why do you post her pictures?
I would leave my man the minute I know he is not able to keep our relationships private.
She might do the same.

You have heard of Facebook, yes? Or OK/VK? Photos here are not visible to non logged in members anyway so wont go on Google images. 

Registration