The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hello from Kansas!  (Read 5006 times)

Offline The_Interocitor

• Spouses Country: Independent
  • Trips: 5-10
Hello from Kansas!
« on: September 03, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have a question...is it possible for Westerner to visit Donetsk or Lugansk without  a) a lot of cash to help facilitate easy border-crossings, and b) worries about personal safety? Do people living in those regions, are they able to cross borders to Ukraine and Russia, and back without a lot of trouble? 

Best regards to everyone
Exclusive dedication to necessitous chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders Jack a hebetudinous fellow.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Hello from Kansas!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:06:39 AM »
Hi,

If I were you I would get your friend to travel to Rostov on Don and meet you there.  It is the safest option.

Your friend will be able to cross into Russia and return quite easily.  We know people who have done this.

As an American you are better off traveling to Russia.  You will need a Russian Tourist visa.  An international flight to Moscow then a domestic flight Moscow to Rostov on Don (about $200 return).  You can get a tourist visa invitation by booking a hotel in Rostov for 1+ nights.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »
you can fly into Kiev without issue.
Almost any places central and western Ukraine
are no problem. I would be wary of parts of Eastern Ukraine.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:25:14 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have a question...is it possible for Westerner to visit Donetsk or Lugansk without  a) a lot of cash to help facilitate easy border-crossings, and b) worries about personal safety? Do people living in those regions, are they able to cross borders to Ukraine and Russia, and back without a lot of trouble? 

Best regards to everyone

Don't even think about doing that..... :GRAVE:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
you can fly into Kiev without issue.
Almost any places central and western Ukraine
are no problem. I would be wary of parts of Eastern Ukraine.

People in E Ukraine have big problems crossing to W Ukraine....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
Hello everyone!

Best regards to everyone

Don't even think about doing that..... :GRAVE:

Welcome to RUA. Please read some threads and share your insights.

Usually the Lord gives a dose of common sense, it seems you missed that dose.

Ask who ever you wish to meet to do that in Kharkov or Kivy this makes more sense Also there is no reason to carry a large amount of cash, in Ukraine or the United States on the street.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Boris

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »

Offline The_Interocitor

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
I was half-toying with the idea of going to Donetsk to volunteer my translation services for the media outlet there - their English is not quite cogent or concise enough, and they need some "marketing" expertise, if they are going to seriously promote their "new country" concept. The Western "journalism" on Donbass and Russia, and the lustrated media in Kiev is little more than directed disinformation.   ???   :8)

I knew someone who bought a nice house in a town a little south of Lugansk, and moved there, and was sort of curious how he made out with his newly-betrothed.

I was in Lugansk in 2012, and later, I did see Youtube videos of 1) young people protesting, and standing in front of Kiev APC's, blocking their progress into Donbass; 2) Aerial bombardment of an office building in Lugansk by Kiev warplanes, and then bodies in the street; 3) A kiosk I remember getting some French fries from, in front of the main bus station, was now a pile of rubble; 4) Artillery shelling of an orphanage in Donbass. These may be casualties of war, but what irritates me, is that Youtube has removed all these video's, (and probably a lot more).    :censored:

Obama's new Cold War is pathetic - banning the Russians from the Paralympics, banning the Track and Field team from Rio (although only a few athletes had done anything wrong) making Sochi 2014 into a forum on Gay Marriage. Bipolar Hillary, if she gets her hands on the big red global reset button, now there's a scary thought.   :eeekk:

There, now everyone dislikes me!   :)

Was sitting here yesterday, and the chair started to move back and forth. Then I realized the chair was still, the HOUSE was moving back and forth. I didn't see a brilliant flash. so it wasn't WW3. An earthquake.  In Kansas? No way! Yep, in Kansas, epicenter was in Oklahoma, the new quake center of the US. Seems to be indirectly caused by fracking. So went around the rest of the day, greeting everyone with "Happy Earthquake Day!".   :hidechair:

Okay, I'll shut up. Happy Labor Day, everyone.  tiphat
Exclusive dedication to necessitous chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders Jack a hebetudinous fellow.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »
I was half-toying with the idea of going to Donetsk to volunteer my translation services for the media outlet there - their English is not quite cogent or concise enough, and they need some "marketing" expertise, if they are going to seriously promote their "new country" concept. The Western "journalism" on Donbass and Russia, and the lustrated media in Kiev is little more than directed disinformation.   ???   :8)

I knew someone who bought a nice house in a town a little south of Lugansk, and moved there, and was sort of curious how he made out with his newly-betrothed.

I was in Lugansk in 2012, and later, I did see Youtube videos of 1) young people protesting, and standing in front of Kiev APC's, blocking their progress into Donbass; 2) Aerial bombardment of an office building in Lugansk by Kiev warplanes, and then bodies in the street; 3) A kiosk I remember getting some French fries from, in front of the main bus station, was now a pile of rubble; 4) Artillery shelling of an orphanage in Donbass. These may be casualties of war, but what irritates me, is that Youtube has removed all these video's, (and probably a lot more).    :censored:

Obama's new Cold War is pathetic - banning the Russians from the Paralympics, banning the Track and Field team from Rio (although only a few athletes had done anything wrong) making Sochi 2014 into a forum on Gay Marriage. Bipolar Hillary, if she gets her hands on the big red global reset button, now there's a scary thought.   :eeekk:

There, now everyone dislikes me!   :)

On the contrary. Welcome.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
I assume (hope) your reactions are quicker when you burn your self at the stove.

Yes the earthquake was it seems caused by the by product of mining being pumped back underground. Be happy at least you did not meet the Wicked Witch from the West.

Post on and let us know if you will go to the East. Do you think you can find the yellow brick road?

Offline The_Interocitor

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:19:23 AM »
I assume (hope) your reactions are quicker when you burn your self at the stove.

Yes the earthquake was it seems caused by the by product of mining being pumped back underground. Be happy at least you did not meet the Wicked Witch from the West.

Post on and let us know if you will go to the East. Do you think you can find the yellow brick road?

Yep, read that after my NY friend pointed it out. Oklahoma is now earthquake capital of the US, because of what they are pumping into the ground in the fracking process.

But, never having experienced an earthquake before...

In an unexpected or unexplainable situation, your mind works real fast, thoughts fly like ammo spitting from a semi-auto (probably not a good metaphor): 

The chair is moving back and forth...

No, the chair is fine, it's the house moving back and forth...

Nuke? No, would have been a brilliant flash.

Truck hit the house? No, the house is swaying not struck...

My neighbor, playing with firecrackers again. No.

Earthquake? No way, this is Kansas! Earthquakes don't happen in Kansas. But the movement, back and forth...

Will the house collapse? Maybe I should run to the basement. SOP for tornadoes. But if the house collapses and I'm in the basement , it will collapse on me.

Got to be an earthquake.

Do I have insurance for earthquakes?

Run outside, that's best. The sky can't fall on you...where are my shoes...

Run outside without my shoes... Or just sit here....

The shaking subsides. It's over. But maybe better to be outside in case of aftershocks... I don't think to turn on the radio, I put my shoes on, glancing warily at the ceiling. I go out to the car and the speaker on the car radio chooses to die right after I hear the usually soporific DJ excitedly say, "Yeah, at 7:02 - ". It's half a minute to the store, where "Good morning" has been replaced by "Did you feel it?"

Total time, less than 30 seconds. When I discover some people reacted with panic and screaming, I think I did not bad.   

Does the mind record in analog fashion, or digitally? It stores images, sounds, smells, sights, feelings like weight, touch, gravity, colors, etc. But are these details stored as separate items, compartmentalized by time segments? I remember a bad car crash, total time from going airborne off the highway and impact with tree was only a few seconds, a few very long seconds. Rain is pouring down, I hit the brakes too hard. CLICK The car turns into a weaving fish. CLICK Should not have hit brakes so hard! Can I control it? CLICK Car has done a 360 and is jumping off the high shoulder CLICK Car has landed in the muddy field CLICK Car is sliding in the mud, heading for a tree. Press the brakes! CLICK Tree is looming up. CLICK Turn the wheel! Get away from the tree! CLICK Closer CLICK Car has done a 90 degree turn, presenting the tree to the driver's side door CLICK Closer CLICK Bang!

I remember the accident not as an video, but as a series of still images.

Offline The_Interocitor

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 01:31:54 AM »
...the yellow brick road?

I think it runs through Dodge City.  :)

Don't be surprised if you see Toto flying through the air. Kansas calls itself the Sunflower State, but it may be the Windiest State.   

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
The second photo is impressive!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 12:48:48 AM »
An amazing foto of the tornado. In many respects Russia and The United States are quite similar yet I never read of tornado's in Russia.

The geography with weather coming off the Urals and crossing Siberia are similiar to  the weather systems that comes from the Rockies that allows for tornadoes to develop on The Plains.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 02:13:34 AM »

Yep, read that after my NY friend pointed it out. Oklahoma is now earthquake capital of the US, because of what they are pumping into the ground in the fracking process.

But, never having experienced an earthquake before...

In an unexpected or unexplainable situation, your mind works real fast, thoughts fly like ammo spitting from a semi-auto (probably not a good metaphor): 

The chair is moving back and forth...

No, the chair is fine, it's the house moving back and forth...

Nuke? No, would have been a brilliant flash.

Truck hit the house? No, the house is swaying not struck...

My neighbor, playing with firecrackers again. No.

Earthquake? No way, this is Kansas! Earthquakes don't happen in Kansas. But the movement, back and forth...

Will the house collapse? Maybe I should run to the basement. SOP for tornadoes. But if the house collapses and I'm in the basement , it will collapse on me.

Got to be an earthquake.

Do I have insurance for earthquakes?

Run outside, that's best. The sky can't fall on you...where are my shoes...

Run outside without my shoes... Or just sit here....

The shaking subsides. It's over. But maybe better to be outside in case of aftershocks... I don't think to turn on the radio, I put my shoes on, glancing warily at the ceiling. I go out to the car and the speaker on the car radio chooses to die right after I hear the usually soporific DJ excitedly say, "Yeah, at 7:02 - ". It's half a minute to the store, where "Good morning" has been replaced by "Did you feel it?"

Total time, less than 30 seconds. When I discover some people reacted with panic and screaming, I think I did not bad.   

Does the mind record in analog fashion, or digitally? It stores images, sounds, smells, sights, feelings like weight, touch, gravity, colors, etc. But are these details stored as separate items, compartmentalized by time segments? I remember a bad car crash, total time from going airborne off the highway and impact with tree was only a few seconds, a few very long seconds. Rain is pouring down, I hit the brakes too hard. CLICK The car turns into a weaving fish. CLICK Should not have hit brakes so hard! Can I control it? CLICK Car has done a 360 and is jumping off the high shoulder CLICK Car has landed in the muddy field CLICK Car is sliding in the mud, heading for a tree. Press the brakes! CLICK Tree is looming up. CLICK Turn the wheel! Get away from the tree! CLICK Closer CLICK Car has done a 90 degree turn, presenting the tree to the driver's side door CLICK Closer CLICK Bang!

I remember the accident not as an video, but as a series of still images.

WOW! Great writing!!! Very impressive pictures!!!
Welcome to the forum!!!

Offline The_Interocitor

Find the Kitty Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
Welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks, I love compliments on my writing skills or lack thereof! But I'm no Stephen King (if you're a Republican, I should say "I'm no Dean Koontz!") .

Here's another picture:

There's a cat schnoozing in the picture...can anyone see it? 

Offline Jerash

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
Oh finally! Yes, it took a bit but I spotted that feline now :)

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
Re: Find the Kitty Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 11:44:38 PM »
(Attachment Link)
Welcome to the forum!!!

There's a cat schnoozing in the picture...can anyone see it?

There is a woman. Can you see her?

upload png

Offline The_Interocitor

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 12:08:36 AM »

I got it. But now I can't see the bird!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 12:15:48 AM »

I got it. But now I can't see the bird!

:ROFL:  :ROFL:  :ROFL:

You are a good writer and a very vibrant person!!!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
The woman was too easy, the cat took a moment.

If you want some other challenges it might be worth looking at some of the images of Giuseppe Arcimboldo. I will guess this is an Google image page. In some of his works one can rotate the painting and have another portrait.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »

If you want some other challenges it might be worth looking at some of the images of Giuseppe Arcimboldo. I will guess this is an Google image page. In some of his works one can rotate the painting and have another portrait.

I saw his painting in Louvre in Summer.
I knew about him before, but it was a pleasure to see originals.
Thank you for reminding. It's one of my best memories.
And it was the best Summer in my life!!!

Registration