The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Overwhelmed, Skype, International phone calls?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Haventhrow

• Trips: None Yet
Overwhelmed, Skype, International phone calls?
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
Ok, I just posted yesterday that I joined Elanas Models. I got 165 emails in 36 hours. This is a little overwhelming. I am 51 and asked for replies from women 35-45. I feel like I am average looking. Is this a normal response? I don't really have time to go through them all. Of the women I am choosing to contact...most want me to Skype, and one sent me her phone number in Belarus. Is there anything I should beware of with Skype? The woman with the phone number wants me to use Viber app....anyone have any experience with this.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: Overwhelmed, Skype, International phone calls?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »
Yikes! I never had that kind of response on Elenas. Maybe it's been flooded with scammers. That being said, moving to Skype video is usually a good sign as it will confirm the girl is the same as the one you saw in the pictures. Viber is an app that uses wifi so you can chat and talk via telephone for free. I don't know if it has video capability as I am more familiar with whatsapp, which is similar. Also a good sign if she wants to move it to viber or whatsapp.

Offline Haventhrow

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »
I think part of the response is due to my being open to having kids. a lot of the replies seem to be from women in their mid to late thirties who either have children or want children....that being said....I am concerned about the scammer aspect. This is my first time seriously looking and joining a website

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Just dont send any money, no matter what sob story emerges, and you won't be scammed.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
The woman with the phone number wants me to use Viber app....anyone have any experience with this.

It's a good sign that she wants to use Viber, which is a texting app similar to Whatsapp, as Jerash points out.  I think Whatsapp is more popular now, but often girls will have both.  I prefer the Viber interface as it easily runs on my desktop as well.  The last time I tried to install Whatsapp on my desktop I got a "Yeah, if you do this then we take if off of your phone" message, so eff that.  Maybe that's different now, but I haven't bothered to check again.

I think part of the response is due to my being open to having kids. a lot of the replies seem to be from women in their mid to late thirties who either have children or want children....that being said....I am concerned about the scammer aspect. This is my first time seriously looking and joining a website

A lot of the response is....that you're fresh meat.  The other guys have either visited or shown themselves to be "Keyboard Romeos" or whatever, who talk a good game, but don't ever get on a plane.

Just dont send any money, no matter what sob story emerges, and you won't be scammed.

This.  If a girl suddenly has a "sick granny" or something, or the family cow dies, or her cat contracts a rare disease that can only be cured by rubbing it all over with US$100s, then it's time to bail.

NEVER EVER SEND CASH TO SOMEONE YOU HAVE NEVER MET IN PERSON.

Good luck,

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
Be aware that anything on a Russian phone must be available through Yandex, as google-play is blocked there. (I used a VPN to get around this, but girls aren't that good in IT). Viber, Skype are both on yandex, but whatsapp isn't.

(Btw, I hadn't tried in Moscow, could be a crimea-only thing)

Mark.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Haventhrow

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
What if the cat only needs US$20's.... :nod:

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
What if the cat only needs US$20's.... :nod:

It will need an inch thick stack of them.  :chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Jerash

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
Yep, don't give money to someone you never met in person is an excellent principle to take with you into this adventure

Offline Jerash

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
I once had a Moscow girl give ME money, and then I had to force her to take it back! :ROFL:

I wish there were emoticons available with the mobile app that I normally use RUA on! I could probably avoid about at least 7% of Andrew's shitstorms then! :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:43:44 AM »
Haventhrow, when you check you will probably find that almost all the messages you got are automated or form responses. It is rather unlikely that you are the greatest stud to have happened upon the women of Ukraine.  :king:

Elena's Models was sold a while back and is now just one in a portfolio of social sites run out of Hong Kong. Anything positive that you have inferred as to reputation about the business dates from prior to that sale.

For entertainment value you might find this site handy, they have been around for yonks and are still operated by the same folks who set the business up: http://www.hotrussianbrides.com/
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »
Andrew, I just wasted some minutes looking at those women. You bad boy, wait to Manny sees the above post.

Heathrow, not withstanding Andrew's link I suspect if you study the English you will see a certain similarity in the 'form of the letters' they are often 'composed' by our friend Boris. There are a number of tests that will weed out the Borises from the true light (Svetlana). But in reality most likely you are spinning your wheels.

My suggestion plan to visit and let what ever Oksana or Olga know that you are coming. Avoid the last week of October & first week of November. Personally I would recommend a wingman/woman and go from there when you are on the ground,
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Haventhrow

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
So you would recommend just going and getting my feet wet. The 3 I am most interested in right now are in Minsk, Belarus. Two speak fluent English...so no interpreter will be needed. The other says good English...not sure to what degree good is. Her emails are in very good English...but you guys are telling me this could be Boris. I will Skype and talk on the phone to all of them before setting up a meeting. How long should I talk with them before going over? I don't wanna seem like a weirdo. Do I let them know I want to meet them all? Seems awkward.

By wingperson..do you mean a local guide or a friend?

Also, my understanding is that Belarus is a pseudo dictatorship that has a Castro like "President for life". Anything I should know if I plan to travel there?

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
So you would recommend just going and getting my feet wet. The 3 I am most interested in right now are in Minsk, Belarus. Two speak fluent English...so no interpreter will be needed. The other says good English...not sure to what degree good is. Her emails are in very good English...but you guys are telling me this could be Boris. I will Skype and talk on the phone to all of them before setting up a meeting. How long should I talk with them before going over? I don't wanna seem like a weirdo. Do I let them know I want to meet them all? Seems awkward.

Also, my understanding is that Belarus is a pseudo dictatorship that has a Castro like "President for life". Anything I should know if I plan to travel there?

Belarus is a beautiful country, extremely safe for tourists/visitors, the place is immaculately clean, people are very friendly, in general prices are good, and worthy of a visit....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »

Belarus is a beautiful country, extremely safe for tourists/visitors, the place is immaculately clean, people are very friendly, in general prices are good, and worthy of a visit....

As I understand Belarus is both a beautiful country and a pseudo-dictatorship. Do not dilly or dally. Book a flight and get on the aluminum bird to see your birds.

If you are going to do a WMVM plan organization is paramount.

Learn the local customs, learn more about the women be clear about your hopes and expectations and see where the chips fall.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 02:32:51 AM »
The woman with the phone number wants me to use Viber app....anyone have any experience with this.

It's a good sign that she wants to use Viber, which is a texting app similar to Whatsapp, as Jerash points out.  I think Whatsapp is more popular now, but often girls will have both. 
Viber is used more than whatsapp overall in Russia for the reasons you stated; easier interface and functionality with voice and video calls (video calls are not available here with whatsapp), especially in areas with you have less than stellar internet connection quality and certainly more popular among the younger crowd from what I have seen.

Be aware that anything on a Russian phone must be available through Yandex, as google-play is blocked there. (I used a VPN to get around this, but girls aren't that good in IT). Viber, Skype are both on yandex, but whatsapp isn't.

(Btw, I hadn't tried in Moscow, could be a crimea-only thing)

Mark.
Yes, works fine here in Moscow as well as app store for Apple.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 05:00:27 AM »
WhatsApp works fine outside of Moscow in my experience...

HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Jerash

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
Whatsapp seems to work everywhere wifi is sold. I've relied on it for a year and a half now.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 01:33:49 AM »
Whatsapp seems to work everywhere wifi is sold. I've relied on it for a year and a half now.

Whatsapp works fine in Crimea also, what isn't working is Google-Play (In Crimea).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Haventhrow

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »
Update....I think Elanas Models ended up being a good choice for a newbie like me....After the initial madness died down, I have met a few very nice women on the site. My biggest problem being that none of them live anywhere near the others, so making a trip to visit them all will be impossible. The women I have contacted all use Skype or viber. The woman who wanted me to viber her the first day says she did it because I look younger than my age in my photo, and she said a lot of guys use old photos of themselves, she just wanted to make sure I looked like my photo. I have not made my first trip yet, but I am definitely going to see one woman if things keep going well. I see where most people say that visit many is the best tactic, but seems hard to find a lot of quality women you are interested in that would live close to each other...Russia is such a huge country. Not counting Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova....ect.

On a side note(this may require a new thread), Is there anyone on the site who has began their family at an older age. Many of the women I have met are very interested in having children, or have young children now. I am 51, and the youngest woman I am speaking with is 38. I have mentioned my concerns, but most say it is not a problem. I always wanted children, just never happened. Any advice from members who actually are raising children as older parents. Is it not a problem, or does it become a problem later on?

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
Haventhrow,

You will never be able to organise a visit many trip using Elena's Models.  A visit many trip is to a place, a city, say novosibirsk.  You only contact women from that city using a variety of sources (agencies, free sites etc.)  and set up multiple contacts.  You then chose each other by dating.

On EM you are building emotional relationship by writing.  It is essentially a visit one approach.  You can try to set up back ups within reasonable distance but then you must chose these back ups with that criteria in mind.  Lady number one in St Petersburg and back up lady in Vladivostok won't work...

Marriage to a much younger woman involves accepting their future vision.  If they are childless it will almost certainly include children.  My eldest daughter was the best 50th birthday present I will ever get in my life.  Think VERY CAREFULLY about becoming a middle aged father,  it is NOT easy.  Perhaps it would be easier to date women who already have a child but that brings a whole heap of other issues...

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
Are you sure your not advertising Elana's models  :laugh:

You don't want to be wasting any time with e-mails actually it is a prehistoric way to learn about any women, 1/2/3 mails is all you need..

Everyone advices NEVER SEND MONEY that usually falls on deaf ears anyway.

As for an older women with kids defiantly the best option for any guy I would say..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 12:26:44 AM »
Haventhrow,

You will never be able to organise a visit many trip using Elena's Models.  A visit many trip is to a place, a city, say novosibirsk.  You only contact women from that city using a variety of sources (agencies, free sites etc.)  and set up multiple contacts.  You then chose each other by dating.

On EM you are building emotional relationship by writing.  It is essentially a visit one approach.  You can try to set up back ups within reasonable distance but then you must chose these back ups with that criteria in mind.  Lady number one in St Petersburg and back up lady in Vladivostok won't work...

Marriage to a much younger woman involves accepting their future vision.  If they are childless it will almost certainly include children.  My eldest daughter was the best 50th birthday present I will ever get in my life.  Think VERY CAREFULLY about becoming a middle aged father,  it is NOT easy.  Perhaps it would be easier to date women who already have a child but that brings a whole heap of other issues...

Makes sense.  The problem is there are less and less women on the western facing sites (willing to relocate).  So if you line up two or three "finalists", chances are they will be in different cities far apart. 

You can always decide to meet in another city.  If the woman lives in Irkutsk for example you can meet in Novosibirsk. 

Offline lokin4areason

• Spouses Country: WHat!?! dont have one
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 07:19:57 PM »
they have plenty of scammers out there not thinking twice in accepting free money ..

i have ran across a few and ended it there ( no matter at how many times they emailed me )

just be careful

Registration