The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Do Ukra-mericans have advantage over foregn men?  (Read 9722 times)

Online dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Do Ukra-mericans have advantage over foregn men?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
Note that his half-brother is going to vote for Trump, so Obama will vote for Trump in the upcoming election.   :laugh:

You and Manny must have attended the same school of daft conclusions.... That family members might be misguided enough to vote Labour - or in Obama's half bro's case - support Trump shouldn't mean sh1t unless you are desparate to score a meaningless 'point' ... :chuckle:

Who is trying to score a meaningless point?   I was trying to introduce some levity and a little irony regarding the earlier comment about Obama and Kenya.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/24/obamas-half-brother-says-hes-voting-for-donald-trump.html

:offtopic: :P

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »

Who is trying to score a meaningless point?   I was trying to introduce some levity and a little irony regarding the earlier comment about Obama and Kenya.

If you sought levity, you clearly missed my chuckle ....  :coffeeread:

Online dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 06:22:19 PM »

If you sought levity, you clearly missed my chuckle ....  :coffeeread:

You mean that dark colored emoji ?  Hard to tell what that dark colored circle represented.   :smileysherlock:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 04:56:03 AM »
Enthusiast, First welcome to RUA.

It would be great if you stay and share your insights as your perspective is almost unique.

My education and background gives me an unusual perspective on The Borderlands but yours is superior.

As for how women perceive men assuming everything is working than I would suggest hope without ceasing and pray without pleasing. We are speaking about the element 103 over WO in pink of the periodic table.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »
I plan on visiting Ukraine for the first time since moving to the US sometime next year and I plan on staying for a few months. I still have plenty of relatives there and even an apartment, although its partially occupied. I am curious as to how would women perceive me. Would I have an advantage over other foreign men since I was born and raised in Ukraine, can fluently speak Russian & Ukrainian? Or would I be at a disadvantage since I am not truly a foreigner..?

You would have a tremendous advantage because of language fluency.  Also, you would have an understanding of the culture as well, so you should totally kick ass.

I know a guy who was similarly situated.  He's a bit older than you are, but also from Odessa.  His family is Jewish and so they were allowed to emigrate b/c of Jackson-Vanik.  So he got out at 13 but maintained language fluency and returned to Odessa later in life.  He said it would be like, for me, going back to my old hometown after several years absence: everything would be familiar in an unfamiliar way.

If/when I go back, what should I expect? I am not really concerned about gold diggers since I don't plan on using any dating agencies and I am not some naive idiot - I grew up in Odessa, I know their "shtuchki".  I have friends there, family, and hoping to meet someone through them.

Assuming you are looking for marriage, put the word out through your relatives there that you are looking for a wife and soon you will be meeting every eligible Dev in the Oblast.

I don't have anything against gold diggers - I completely understand them.

You really are Ukrainian.  :chuckle:

People want what they can't have and Ukraine is one giant economic hell-hole. I have no idea how people survive there, but I don't plan on spending time with women who want constant expensive gifts. That's one thing that I like about women in the West - they do not care for gifts or even flowers, especially if they make good money.

Flowers are pretty much a must, and just have an eye you w/r/t your prospective Belles as to who tries to protect your wallet and who looks at you and thinks, "Let the good times roll!"

You should be able to get things sorted pretty quickly.

Good luck!

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
Telling people I will be looking for a wife sounds so tacky though. It's something that happens, not something you plan ahead for, at least not normally.

We would have to live together for a while... In the West people live together for years before asking for marriage. I don't think it's a good idea to rush things. Then again, every Eastern European guy I know in US went back home and was HAPPILY married 2-3 months later (no divorces so far). Ukraine has 80 percent divorce rate... Is that due to economic reasons? Abusive alcoholic husband's?

Offline Jerash

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
Are you going looking for a wife? If yes, disregard what you think sounds tacky. Put all your strengths into play. And being a guy looking for marriage, I suspect will play well. You'll basically be screening for the successful candidate who will come back to America with you eventually (although, given the choices coming up for election....)

Throw your preconceived notions out the window regarding living together for years etc etc. This is a whole new ball game.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 02:46:40 AM »
Telling people I will be looking for a wife sounds so tacky though. It's something that happens, not something you plan ahead for, at least not normally.

We would have to live together for a while... In the West people live together for years before asking for marriage. I don't think it's a good idea to rush things. Then again, every Eastern European guy I know in US went back home and was HAPPILY married 2-3 months later (no divorces so far). Ukraine has 80 percent divorce rate... Is that due to economic reasons? Abusive alcoholic husband's?

I guess it would be a good idea to lose a few assumptions.

While I doubt the divorce rate is 80% perhaps it is 10%, a more telling statistic is what is the divorce rate for couples entering there second marriage. I suspect it is quite low.

B.B. and others have given good advice. Get on plane and see Kiev, put the word out that you are interested in a relationship with a woman and see what happens. I suspect you will be surprised, in a good way. But also realize not every woman is willing to move to another country and for some America is decidedly not there first choice.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 03:00:26 AM »

Yes 80% Divorce rate, all their husbands do is beat them non stop 24/7.. they have no food in the cupboard and survive on soup and an old pickled herring..they have to buy second hand clothes from the flea markets...most have never left Ukraine or even had the privilege of a holiday.

Thats why all of these women are SO desperate to leave and marry ANY man just to escape..

What I cannot understand is why so many (or actually most) guys spend years going back and forth to Ukraine unable to find a women to marry?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 03:49:11 AM »
Divorce rate in Ukraine is lower than,  for example,  the USA with a crude rate of just 2.8 compared to 3.6 in the USA. That's from 2012. I am sure that the socio-economic breakdown in the country is having an effect though. From the divorce:marriage ratio we can see that Ukrainian people are more likely to remain married than USAians.

For happy USAians seeking a trial marriage by cohabitation it is worth understanding that for a Ukrainian person marriage is not something that one 'tries out' or takes a lot of time over. You want it,  you put a ring on it.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »
Divorce rate in Ukraine is lower than,  for example,  the USA with a crude rate of just 2.8 compared to 3.6 in the USA. That's from 2012. I am sure that the socio-economic breakdown in the country is having an effect though. From the divorce:marriage ratio we can see that Ukrainian people are more likely to remain married than USAians.

For happy USAians seeking a trial marriage by cohabitation it is worth understanding that for a Ukrainian person marriage is not something that one 'tries out' or takes a lot of time over. You want it,  you put a ring on it.

I suspect if one is able to break out the divorce rates per age group one will see in some groups a higher precentage. And while 2.8 seems (feels) low based on my interaction in Ukraine I do not challenge it.

As for the 'socio-breakdown' that Andrew alludes this is not honest. The economy in Ukraine on one level is challenged but everything still functions, excepting the government. The fire department responds to fires, the police answer calls and makes arrests, the service in the metro (underground) has improved, road get repaved and the trains run. There is food in grocery stores and people are eating out. Some items have increased in price others declined.

The other point that Andrew makes is very true regarding cohabitation, it is largely unheard of except to a small degree in Kiev. The group that may entertain this option are largely younger mobile professionals. I sort of doubt this is the sort of woman that our hero is seeking.

Offline Cobaka

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »

IMO, you have a great advantage. I friend of my dad is American born but from Ukraine parents and spoke it and he went over and married a Ukraine woman and brought her back. I suspect the visa process is easier as far as hassles, bringing over a foreign bride from the country you are from or within a generation should be easier.

Offline Enthusiast

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 04:04:20 PM »
How different are Ukrainian women sexually? I mean I assume the dating approach is different there. I left at 13, was not dating anyone there and also did not appreciate being with so many beautiful women because it was so common. I thought in US there would be Hollywood babes everywhere. I was so wrong.

- How many dates does it usually take to bed a Ukrainian girl/woman? Here it takes 2-3 dates tops.
- Is casual hooking up / sex common there? It's not what I am looking for, but I am curious. Here people have sex with people they do not like at all and often have no emotional attachments...
- The Internet says Ukrainian men don't give their women oral sex, but do expect to receive it. That can't be true, can it?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 06:35:49 PM »
N
- How many dates does it usually take to bed a Ukrainian girl/woman? Here it takes 2-3 dates tops.
- Is casual hooking up / sex common there? It's not what I am looking for, but I am curious. Here people have sex with people they do not like at all and often have no emotional attachments...
- The Internet says Ukrainian men don't give their women oral sex, but do expect to receive it. That can't be true, can it?

I suggest you read some travel-trip reports of those who have visited Ukraine/Russia. But you have a unique in.

I am not sure about the number of dates. I never actually did casual sex. One woman from Kiev visited me in London was I think on the next date in bed with me. A woman who I wrote for over a year was intimate on our first physical meeting in St. Petersburg.

I have not quizzed women on receiving oral sex but my experience is they both are happy to give and receive.

Casual sex as a hook up via a bar/club I have found rare. Like once in my memory.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 11:02:05 PM »
I would say to go check it out and find out for yourself.  That would be an easier and more pleasant way than quizzing about it here.

Separately, If you are in need of sex, there aren't any laws in Ukraine and you can easily procure sex in a legal parlour there.

Great atmosphere for attracting certain kind of folks, such as sex tourists.

Such is Ukraine these days and probably every day since leaving the Soviet Union.