The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Do Ukra-mericans have advantage over foregn men?  (Read 4563 times)

Online Enthusiast

Do Ukra-mericans have advantage over foregn men?
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »
How do Ukrainian women perceive "Ukramericans"? I was born in Odessa, Ukraine, lived there until I turned 13 and then moved to the United States, where I've resided since. I'm 29 now. I am not rich, but I did well in college and career-wise, at least well-enough to sustain a family of 3-4 people, and of course I plan on moving upwards.

Finding women in US is not a problem. Most of them find me attractive, in great shape (2 hours in the gym every day pays off!), exotic, with an awesome accent. The problem is that they are very different from the women I've been exposed to in Odessa. Ukraine made me who I am, while US gave me what I have. Both are equally important. My mother and sister now also live in the US and yet they maintain their traditional family views and remain devoted wives. I like that way more than western women who always act like they do not need/want a man, and generally do not need anyone - way too independent. It makes them great for fun short flings, not long-term relationships, let alone marriage... Not only that, but its hard to connect with women who were raised in the US and didn't have any similar experiences I had growing up in Odessa. That and of course 70% of women in the United States are either overweight or obese. I hold my fitness level to high standards and expect no less from someone I'm dating. I remember going to school in Ukraine, seeing a TON of hot girls every day was such a common thing, and I did not appreciate it until I started going to American High School... Just about EVERY single Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian friend I had here ended up going back to his homeland and finding marriage material there, then brought them back to the US. All of them were successful men and years later they seem happy.

I plan on visiting Ukraine for the first time since moving to the US sometime next year and I plan on staying for a few months. I still have plenty of relatives there and even an apartment, although its partially occupied. I am curious as to how would women perceive me. Would I have an advantage over other foreign men since I was born and raised in Ukraine, can fluently speak Russian & Ukrainian? Or would I be at a disadvantage since I am not truly a foreigner..?

If/when I go back, what should I expect? I am not really concerned about gold diggers since I don't plan on using any dating agencies and I am not some naive idiot - I grew up in Odessa, I know their "shtuchki". I have friends there, family, and hoping to meet someone through them. I don't have anything against gold diggers - I completely understand them. People want what they can't have and Ukraine is one giant economic hell-hole. I have no idea how people survive there, but I don't plan on spending time with women who want constant expensive gifts. That's one thing that I like about women in the West - they do not care for gifts or even flowers, especially if they make good money.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Do Ukra-mericans have advantage over foregn men?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:36:28 AM »
1: you are a foreign man

2: given everything else you tell us why do you seek the validation of us telling you what a stud you are and that you will lord it over the rest of us poor schlubs?

If you are what you say you are then go implement your plan but make sure that the self adoration implicit in your emphasis upon self is well hidden. Most women notice stuff like that - they prefer that you adore them rather more than you adore yourself. ;)

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
1: you are a foreign man

2: given everything else you tell us why do you seek the validation of us telling you what a stud you are and that you will lord it over the rest of us poor schlubs?

If you are what you say you are then go implement your plan but make sure that the self adoration implicit in your emphasis upon self is well hidden. Most women notice stuff like that - they prefer that you adore them rather more than you adore yourself. ;)

Making friends again, Andrew?

If he speaks the language, he is already head and shoulders above other foreigners.

To back up his methodology, even some blokes I know in Estonia went back to Russia when it was wife time.
Gordon Gekko: "The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
I am not suggesting that he shouldn't do as he wishes.

It is clear that if everything is as he says it is that he has advantages. That inference was clear from my words.

However, I am sure that as far as women over here are concerned, as a bloke who has spent his life in the US (or any other country) that he is not local - kinda like he'd not be considered 'local' if he dropped into Odessa looking for a wife to take back home having spent his life living in Lvov.

My point about self absorption was based upon what he told us. I am sure that women he meets are no less perceptive than I. ;)

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum 'Enthusiast'

You have the advantage of the language and plenty of Former Soviet Union women will appreciate that

There's also the down side - plenty of FSU have this 'thing' that UA/RU men aren't serious husbands ...

Good luck in your search

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »
plenty of FSU have this 'thing' that UA/RU men aren't serious husbands ...

Despite the fact that most marry them.  :-[
Gordon Gekko: "The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Online Enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
Yeah, I heard Ukrainian men abuse their women, drink too much, make too little money, do not bother being in great shape, generally possessive and jealous. None of those apply to me.

BTW, is it true that Ukrainian women think it is un-manly for a BF or husband to not have other women on the side, as long as, he does not admit to having/doing them???

Online Gipsy

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »
Yeah, I heard Ukrainian men abuse their women, drink too much, make too little money, do not bother being in great shape, generally possessive and jealous. None of those apply to me.

Have heard and seen the same in American men....

BTW, is it true that Ukrainian women think it is un-manly for a BF or husband to not have other women on the side, as long as, he does not admit to having/doing them???

If you were to do such a thing with any of the ladies whom I know, and they caught you, you would spend the remains of your life as a eunuch....

Online msmoby

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »

Not too often I agree with Gypo - but I think you may be under a mis-apprehension

For sure, it might be the case that the sanctity of marriage might not be respected and the 'injured partner' might be 'tolerant' - try to work things through for the sake of the family- esp. if kids are involved ..

Personally, I regard this as a strength... 

Online Enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help and advice. It feels sooo uneasy to be coming back to my homeland. I do not consider myself American AT ALL and based on opinions here I am a foreigner in USA and yet a foreigner in Ukraine too... Unless I actually told someone I live in US, that someone would never know.

FYI, I was not trying to brag about myself, but make a point that finding women in US is not a problem, except they aren't the kind of women I'd ever marry.

Online Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help and advice. It feels sooo uneasy to be coming back to my homeland. I do not consider myself American AT ALL and based on opinions here I am a foreigner in USA and yet a foreigner in Ukraine too... Unless I actually told someone I live in US, that someone would never know.

FYI, I was not trying to brag about myself, but make a point that finding women in US is not a problem, except they aren't the kind of women I'd ever marry.

FWIW, former FSU ladies like to be treated as a lady, they like a man to be a man, the really appreciate flowers, dining out, dancing, theatre, champagne, and a TRUE FSU lady will NOT expect, nor accept expensive gifts..

Best is to wine and dine them, be fully attentive without being overbearing about it, respect them, and you will receive the same respect in return a 100fold...

Be yourself, honest but no bragging rights, dilute everything about yourself, and be a gentleman...

You will get further, quicker IMHO...

FFS don't be over powering...

Remember, slowly, slowly, catchee monkey....

Just my 2 pennyworth...

Online Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 08:26:15 PM »

Not too often I agree with Gypo - but I think you may be under a mis-apprehension

For sure, it might be the case that the sanctity of marriage might not be respected and the 'injured partner' might be 'tolerant' - try to work things through for the sake of the family- esp. if kids are involved ..

Personally, I regard this as a strength...

On the Ladies side of course...

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
I guess it would be a little like Obama going back to Kenya to look for a women from his old village?  :laugh:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 02:52:55 AM »
I guess it would be a little like Obama going back to Kenya to look for a women from his old village?  :laugh:

Not quite.  Obama never resided in Kenya.  I believe that he resided in Indonesia for a period of time after his mother remarried.  So Obama should return there for a wife.  ;D   Because Indonesia is predominantly Muslim, I think that is where the rumors about him being a Muslim came from.   :nod:  Note that his half-brother is going to vote for Trump, so Obama will vote for Trump in the upcoming election.   :laugh:

Online msmoby

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
Note that his half-brother is going to vote for Trump, so Obama will vote for Trump in the upcoming election.   :laugh:

You and Manny must have attended the same school of daft conclusions.... That family members might be misguided enough to vote Labour - or in Obama's half bro's case - support Trump shouldn't mean sh1t unless you are desparate to score a meaningless 'point' ... :chuckle: