The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Comparing the legal systems  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Comparing the legal systems
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
There is an interesting article on msn regarding Mel Gibson's divorce to a Russian pianist. 

Apparently he offered her 15 million which she did not take.  Instead she is living in his home in Malibu and was receiving 20k per month in child support which was increased now to 30k. 

She accused him of domestic abuse. 

I would like to know, legally how divorces differ in the US vs the UK, the EU and Russia. 

Specifically where do guys get cleaned out the most and where are there more false domestic abuse cases? 

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Comparing the legal systems
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
Someone here said that men do not get cleaned out as much, after a divorce in the UK compared to the US.  However a real side by side comparison was never done.   

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:44:12 AM »
Basically, if you have kids ..the guy in England and Wales will be paying maintenance for the kids until they finish full-time education and the marital home will be hers - with the guy retaining 40 percent - until the youngest has finished full-time education - OR ... wifey re-marries.

I had to look at this as a enforced savings policy

Spousal maintenance and pension rights is more complicated.   
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
It's not always the case if your clever. I have a friend who's family is very wealthy they have a business which has been in the family over 100 years. He was married for a few years after which she went off with some other guy.

In court as he told the Judge "All I own is a Salt and Pepper pot"  :laugh: Thats exactly what he said, she could not prove or find anything he owned all was tied up in trusts and such. She left with nothing and two years later he took custody of both the kids!!

Only stupid men get screwed over.

Lifes a bitch make sure you don't marry one..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
Basically, if you have kids ..the guy in England and Wales will be paying maintenance for the kids until they finish full-time education and the marital home will be hers - with the guy retaining 40 percent - until the youngest has finished full-time education - OR ... wifey re-marries.

I had to look at this as a enforced savings policy

Spousal maintenance and pension rights is more complicated.

You obviously had a bad lawyer... 
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:34 AM »
It's not always the case if your clever. I have a friend who's family is very wealthy they have a business which has been in the family over 100 years. He was married for a few years after which she went off with some other guy.

In court as he told the Judge "All I own is a Salt and Pepper pot"  :laugh: Thats exactly what he said, she could not prove or find anything he owned all was tied up in trusts and such. She left with nothing and two years later he took custody of both the kids!!

Only stupid men get screwed over.

Lifes a bitch make sure you don't marry one..

Stupid men with bad lawyers.... ;D
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »
Someone here said that men do not get cleaned out as much, after a divorce in the UK compared to the US.  However a real side by side comparison was never done.

I would think that comparisons have been made by someone...

Try google....

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 11:03:58 AM »
Anecdotal evidence suggests men do tend to get cleaned out more in the US, but from what I gather, it depends on the state.

I doubt I would want to be divorced in Ohio from a tale I recently heard from someone here (who may or may not wish to pass an opinion - he will know who he is).
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
Is that the reason so many US guys after getting cleaned out feel they need to fly all the way over to Eastern Europe to find a women with family values and who isn't interested in material things. Of course other than the marigolds and a dish cloth. ;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
Is that the reason so many US guys after getting cleaned out feel they need to fly all the way over to Eastern Europe to find a women with family values and who isn't interested in material things. Of course other than the marigolds and a dish cloth. ;D

I am sure that this is a large, but erroneous, part of the reasoning for many of 'em.
Can't help but think it's a mistake.
If one can't manage a relationship with a person from one's own peers how will it work with a stranger? And when the stranger learns the rules...
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Its like a unicorn. Everyone wants the mythical wife from Eastern Europe, who has family values and material needs (because in Russia most cannot afford a TV or have never heard of a smart phone) And its even more of a bonus if she can keep quiet and not answer her master back. Better still have no opinion other than fairy liquid being better than the supermarkets own brand.

I guess its a little like myself every time I see a rainbow and go out with my wellies and spade digging for the mythical pot of gold.. :laugh:  been doing that for seven years now.

Offline Boris

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
Anecdotal evidence suggests men do tend to get cleaned out more in the US, but from what I gather, it depends on the state.

I doubt I would want to be divorced in Ohio from a tale I recently heard from someone here (who may or may not wish to pass an opinion - he will know who he is).

It depends on the state, how long they were married and if there were kids. It also depends a lot on the relative assets and earning power of the individuals involved.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:30:43 PM »
Its like a unicorn. Everyone wants the mythical wife from Eastern Europe, who has family values and material needs (because in Russia most cannot afford a TV or have never heard of a smart phone) And its even more of a bonus if she can keep quiet and not answer her master back. Better still have no opinion other than fairy liquid being better than the supermarkets own brand.

I guess its a little like myself every time I see a rainbow and go out with my wellies and spade digging for the mythical pot of gold.. :laugh:  been doing that for seven years now.

I went visiting with my relatives out of town and we went to a home of a friend whose son had recently married an Asian lady.  When we greeted the family, the lady was very reserved, never spoke, and seemed to wait "hand and feet" with her husband.  So, there are demure and quiet type of women.  Usually, they are from small villages where lifestyle is very low class and where farming is the predominant occupation.  They have very little chance of getting an advanced education or travelling beyond their birthplace.   :bow:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 06:38:56 PM »
There is an interesting article on msn regarding Mel Gibson's divorce to a Russian pianist. 

Apparently he offered her 15 million which she did not take.  Instead she is living in his home in Malibu and was receiving 20k per month in child support which was increased now to 30k. 

She accused him of domestic abuse. 

I would like to know, legally how divorces differ in the US vs the UK, the EU and Russia. 

Specifically where do guys get cleaned out the most and where are there more false domestic abuse cases?

Does this have any connection to the 2010 assault charges filed against him by his ex-girlfriend?

"Then we went on towards the pool and he had been screaming and yelling and then he told us, you know, to get the 'f' out and went to get the gun," she said. "And I asked my son to get in the car and that's how we left the 6th of January and from then on every day he was apologizing."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/11/17/mel.gibson.dispute/
  :fighting0025: :antagonize:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »
Dcguyusa, wait until the concealed resentment is revealed,  at just about the same time she comes to understand her rights.
Just because something looks as it does does not mean it is as it looks.

There's been plenty of 'men'  here who found this out to their cost.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 01:27:22 AM »
I have already come to understand exactly what many guys want when searching a FSU women. And its the women I feel sorry for.
Im not saying its all , but for sure many are searching a kind of modern house slave..

Good job women are smarter today and probably why some guys are going to be searching forever..

I know for sure if I was a women I wouldn't marry a foreign guy unless I had him checked out for phycological and mental problems. ;D

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 01:43:15 AM »
I have already come to understand exactly what many guys want when searching a FSU women. And its the women I feel sorry for.
Im not saying its all , but for sure many are searching a kind of modern house slave..

Good job women are smarter today and probably why some guys are going to be searching forever..

I know for sure if I was a women I wouldn't marry a foreign guy unless I had him checked out for phycological and mental problems. ;D

Did you pass the test, or are you still on medication??    ;D

:ROFL:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 02:18:18 AM »

I have been on medication for a long time.. the men in the white coats said I can take the test in a few years , but they have been saying that for decades now.. I just want to get out of my cell  :(

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 02:29:16 AM »

I have been on medication for a long time.. the men in the white coats said I can take the test in a few years , but they have been saying that for decades now.. I just want to get out of my cell  :(

You are supposed to swallow the tablets whole, and not crush them up and sniff them....   :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 02:48:32 AM »

Came for this, left satisfied!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 02:52:25 AM »
As a bonus, here is the insanity in Russian(?)

...or did I get something back to front?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 03:39:45 AM »
They play videos like that every day to me , they say it should stimulate my mind?

Anyway at least they allow me internet access to the outside world or I would be here now :(

I thought I would show you a photo of my room  :laugh:

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »

I think that's what it sounds like in Moby's head.  :drunk:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »

I think that's what it sounds like in Moby's head:drunk:

Could have been gotten in a "Jumble" sale maybe....   :duh:

Offline Jerash

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »
If anyone doubts the existence of the kind of wife hunters that Steve is describing, the evidence is right here - go have a look in the Trainwreck Room

Registration