The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Great Britain wins the Olympics!!!  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Great Britain wins the Olympics!!!
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:50:44 AM »
Looks like the UK has won the Olympics :party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

Of course they have!!! The US and China are how many times bigger than the UK? With a population of?

Pro rata the UK wins :party0011:  By a long stroke..

Of course I always knew the UK was better than the lot over the pond in Games and War.. :smoking:

:laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Great Britain wins the Olympics!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 01:02:54 AM »

Of course they have!!! The US and China are how many times bigger than the UK? With a population of?

Of course I always knew the UK was better than the lot over the pond in Games and War.. :smoking:

If your doing math that way, Canada won :)
That would make China the big losers.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:33:48 AM »

If your doing math that way, Canada won :)
That would make China the big losers.

I knew that was coming!! Just thought it would be some small island with a population of 3 who won 1 medal  :)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:11:19 AM »
You lot won 20% of your medals in cycling events, and close to 50% when you add in rowing a boat, sailing and horse jumping (also known as equestrian) (:). You lot also won 14 of your 24 gold medals in these events.

Whereas, the US won 72 medals in track & field, swimming and gymnastics.

Yeah, real dominate.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 02:42:26 AM »
You lot won 20% of your medals in cycling events, and close to 50% when you add in rowing a boat, sailing and horse jumping (also known as equestrian) (:). You lot also won 14 of your 24 gold medals in these events.

Yeah, real dominate.

A medal is a medal.. ;D

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:47:15 AM »
молодцы!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 03:47:05 AM »
Probably half those US golds then are actually silver, yes?
Imagine being one of those athletes who will always know that their medal was probably not deserved. Was only a gift of politicians.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 04:08:29 AM »
Its the same story for WW2.. The British actually won the war along with the Russians  :laugh:

Ok slightly off topic but its just a bit of fun :)

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 05:15:41 AM »
Poor American Olympic winners will have to pay tax on their Olympic medals  :sick0012: What sort of country does that to their people
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:43 AM »
Just remember that whoever wins, it is because the US was behind it and let you win. Give proper thanx.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 08:31:05 AM »
Just remember that whoever wins, it is because the US was behind it and let you win. Give proper thanx.

And also remember we let George Washington win secretly cos it was a pain in the ass running that place.. :laugh:

Give thanks the Empire gave you your freedom.. :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
Bagalia, it was the track and field events from which the Russians were universally banned. As it is they have picked up 4th rank in terms of medals won (thus far). As somebody else noted the US has done well in the areas where their main competition has been removed.

Steveboy, actually you are not far from the mark. The UK did not send its best team to deal with the terrorists in North America, they were busy with the Frenchies at the time and without direct French assistance it is unlikely that the terrorists would have gained the victory they sought,  they were not exactly doing well on their own behalf. But we don't make too big a fuss about that, the USAians don't get taught this stuff. :)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »
They were terrorists! Our lot turned up in their red uniforms ready to do battle and where they? Hiding in the bloody trees and under stones..lol Just like modern day terrorists  :chuckle:

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
who fights a war in red? :chuckle: yes you lot are brilliant (:)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »
So how is it the British Olympians can do so well when up against the world yet the English football team are incapable of doing anything other than acting like over paid retards ?

Mentality , intelligence ?  :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »
The British athletes are heavily supported but only if they demonstrate success. Each medal cost Britain over £5 million.

If football was rewarded in as Darwinian fashion as Olympic sports then I am sure that our football would be better too.

The success is down to the manner in which the incentive was applied rather than the amount of money.

One might ponder upon the notion that payments and support of athletes by the state,  as is done in the UK, is not far different to the use of performance enhancing drugs. Both strategies are applicable to only a small part of the population and have the effect of producing uncharacteristically good results.

Is it cheating to give athletes all that they need in order to attain superhuman results?
My guess is that an Olympian transported from 80 years ago would be as shocked by the financial support of British athletes as he would be by those who use drugs and for similar reasons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »

Yeah, real dominate.

Danchik

Team GB and NI ... won more  Gold medals across more sports than any other nation ...15 ...The larger nations - like USA / China don't seem able to 'dominate' across a spectrum of sports.

The USA is approx five times larger and - for once Steveboy [ suddenly 'patriotic'  :chuckle:] has a point..

Britain had a far higher medal rate in events they participated in than the USA or China

Sailing is a lousy example.. 'We' did 'worse' than many other sports... 'only' 2 golds, 1 silver across 10 classes. 'We had a 'disappointing' overall result in sailing...

Croatia got a Gold and Silver - so, proportionally, did better

If one looks at Gold's won by proportion by Population / GDP things get more interesting..NB ..the WP refers to medals won..the official IOC medals table put Britain in 2nd place overall as Gold medals take precedence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/olympics/rio-2016-olympic-medal-count/

By population - the top medal winning nations - incl Britain - don't figure...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »

Yeah, real dominate.

Danchik

Team GB and NI ... won more  Gold medals across more sports than any other nation ...15 ...The larger nations - like USA / China don't seem able to 'dominate' across a spectrum of sports.

The USA is approx five times larger and - for once Steveboy [ suddenly 'patriotic'  :chuckle:] has a point..

Britain had a far higher medal rate in events they participated in than the USA or China

Sailing is a lousy example.. 'We' did 'worse' than many other sports... 'only' 2 golds, 1 silver across 10 classes. 'We had a 'disappointing' overall result in sailing...

Croatia got a Gold and Silver - so, proportionally, did better

If one looks at Gold's won by proportion by Population / GDP things get more interesting..NB ..the WP refers to medals won..the official IOC medals table put Britain in 2nd place overall as Gold medals take precedence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/olympics/rio-2016-olympic-medal-count/

By population - the top medal winning nations - incl Britain - don't figure...

I have always been very patriotic to my country!! As I have said times before 20/30/40 years ago you could be proud to be British. Unfortunately its becoming harder and harder to be proud of the country anymore.. its messed up big time and its to late to turn back the clock :(

I don't like the multi cultural hell hole it has become.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 07:12:56 AM »

I don't like the multi cultural hell hole it has become.

I suppose the likes of Mo Farrah winning 2 more Golds were a 'bad thing' ?  :coffeeread:

http://ilmfeed.com/the-british-muslims-representing-britain-2016-olympics/

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
Before you respond, Steveboy I watch Rita Mamoud - from Russia win Gold with SC on Tv - SC is a former gymnast and we were told that Rita's dad is Bangladeshi ---  so much for multi-cultural hell-holes... 

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 05:45:30 AM »
You simply do not get it do you! I don't have a problem with Muslims in general or anyone else! What the hell has a muslim guy winning an olympic medal for GB got to do with my argument ?? :sick0012:

What I have a problem is people coming to the UK from other cultures/religions trying to change the environment of the UK..

It's that simple. I also have a big problem with left wing do gooders like your self who would quiet happily give away everything the UK has to any tom dick or harry..

Its not even worth explain to your type of people. I know for sure should a WW3 ever happened I will find you under a table with your other friends saying "Its not my fault"  :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 05:46:32 AM »
You simply do not get it do you! I don't have a problem with Muslims in general or anyone else! What the hell has a muslim guy winning an olympic medal for GB got to do with my argument ?? :sick0012:

What I have a problem is people coming to the UK from other cultures/religions trying to change the environment of the UK..

It's that simple. I also have a big problem with left wing do gooders like your self who would quiet happily give away everything the UK has to any tom dick or harry..

Its not even worth explain to your type of people. I know for sure should a WW3 ever happened I will find you under a table with your other friends saying "Its not my fault"  :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 05:48:04 AM »
What happened there  :laugh: Thats being in a rush as usual..

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »
The British athletes are heavily supported but only if they demonstrate success. Each medal cost Britain over £5 million.

If football was rewarded in as Darwinian fashion as Olympic sports then I am sure that our football would be better too.

The success is down to the manner in which the incentive was applied rather than the amount of money.

One might ponder upon the notion that payments and support of athletes by the state,  as is done in the UK, is not far different to the use of performance enhancing drugs. Both strategies are applicable to only a small part of the population and have the effect of producing uncharacteristically good results.

Is it cheating to give athletes all that they need in order to attain superhuman results?
My guess is that an Olympian transported from 80 years ago would be as shocked by the financial support of British athletes as he would be by those who use drugs and for similar reasons.

I would point across a broad spectrum of Olympic sports there is very little money as there is in say Football (Soccer) or Tennis. These noted sports while also Olympic receive a smaller percentage of funds (at least in America). For an Olmpic hopeful the only way to pursue there dream is via the national sports federations.

80 years the Summer Olympics was held in Berlin and the Winter event was in Garmisch-Partenkirchen they were among the most blatantly nationalistic Olympics in history. And yes there very active NOC's present spending money.

While the thread is about the British triumphs in sports in Rio.

I agree with the sentiments of Steve.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »
Avhdb, you will note when having had assistance with reading that I was referring to the UK in the context of the UK's performance in the Olympic Games this year. The US situation was not being referred to. That previous Olympics may, or may not, have been even more nationalistic than these,  again was not relevant to the context of the post I wrote.

The point being made was that British athletes who are perceived to be potential winners  in events targeted by the sports national hierarchy are well supported.

That support,  it can be reasonably inferred, conveys a potential for attainment that other athletes,  in other places, might only hope to equal through chemical means. One might question, on that basis,  the reasoning behind paying,  so called, amateur athletes to be athletes and yet penalise others who get support enabling attainment of potential in another manner.

The current state of affairs would be scarcely recognisable to amateur athletes,  Olympians, from  a few decades ago.