The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I wish I was a Greenland Shark...lol  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
I wish I was a Greenland Shark...lol
« on: August 13, 2016, 02:11:24 AM »
This is very depressing..

https://www.rt.com/viral/355666-greenland-shark-oldest-study/

I wish I was a greenland shark and just swimming around the ocean lethargically for 400 years not a worry in the world. :laugh:

It beats being a human and working for a living for just 70/90 years :(
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: I wish I was a Greenland Shark...lol
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 04:02:32 AM »
Watching all your friends and family, every other creature you knew, being killed, eaten, hooked on lines and a very few dying of old age.

What loneliness.

Doing again, again and again all the things you did yesterday and for 144,000 preceding days. Knowing the fear of attack, escaping from all kinds of predators, each getting faster as you get slower.

The ennui mixed with stress.

400 years of such a life?
For me?
No thanks!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
Watching all your friends and family, every other creature you knew, being killed, eaten, hooked on lines and a very few dying of old age.

What loneliness.

Doing again, again and again all the things you did yesterday and for 144,000 preceding days. Knowing the fear of attack, escaping from all kinds of predators, each getting faster as you get slower.

The ennui mixed with stress.

400 years of such a life?
For me?
No thanks!

:thumbsup:  It is rather grim. You did not note the Greenland shark is blind.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
Well, that's not making the prospect of such a life brighter!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:15:25 AM »
Ok but you have to think about when you die as a human you will be just buried in some cheap old box 6 feet under. Where as the shark has an additional 300 years to swim around.. The shark for me any day I don't want to die to soon. :laugh:

Unfortunately everyone around today has only just missed the boat for near immortality  :(

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
Well, that's not making the prospect of such a life brighter!

What I thought.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:38:33 AM »
My apologies for stealing your thoughts.

Some folks see this ability as a blessing, others see only a curse.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »
Ok what about being a Clam ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/ming-the-clam-worlds-oldest-animal-dated-as-507-years-old-after-being-accidentally-killed-by-8942102.html

You get an extra 100 years for being blind and stuck in a shell.. :chuckle:

For example it must be better than than being some Chinese worker in an I phone factory most of your life?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 04:56:01 AM »
I am fortunate enough to be neither a clam, Chinese factory worker or blind shark.

So, as I sit outside my café, enjoying the noonday sun, drinking a lovely cup of tea and watching the world go by I understand that 80 or so years of this beats the crap out of 400 years of being a blind shark.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
If you want to be like a shark, you are going to have to really turn off your mating hormones because the species probably mated when they reach 150 years old.  Talk about suspended puberty.   (:)

There is a tortoise on St. Helena island that dates back to the time of Napoleon.  When he was exiled there, that same tortoise is now there to greet you today.

If you want to live for hundreds of years, you must reduce your metabolism and live at a snail's pace.   :Zzzzsleep:   If you are going to be a mammal, the reduced lifespan is the price you pay for your increased metabolism.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:13 PM »
If you want to be like a shark, you are going to have to really turn off your mating hormones because the species probably mated when they reach 150 years old.  Talk about suspended puberty.   (:)

There is a tortoise on St. Helena island that dates back to the time of Napoleon.  When he was exiled there, that same tortoise is now there to greet you today.

If you want to live for hundreds of years, you must reduce your metabolism and live at a snail's pace.   :Zzzzsleep:   If you are going to be a mammal, the reduced lifespan is the price you pay for your increased metabolism.

But its only a short term problem? Science will solve it soon enough , people are already living longer.

When do you think Immortality will finally arrive? Im just wondering as the clocks ticking..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Steve, if an immortality drug were to be marketed tomorrow the chances are that it'd be too late for you.

My guess is that immortality, for most of us, would be an unpleasant prison in a creaking and faulty bag of bones. One would start immortality treatment as a healthy young adult.

But worse than that: imagine just how risk averse immortality sufferers would be, the lengths they'd go to in order to not damage the sack of bones in which they were condemned to spend an eternity.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »
But they say our kids kids will be able to expect to live to 120/130 That will do me..

I just don't want to die :(

Nearly everything has happened for humanity in the last 180 years such a small time scale , in another 180 years if humans are still about they are going to be a very advanced civilisation.. Just pity I will miss it by a few years ;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 07:54:33 AM »
Oh, I rather think that we've seen the best already!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »

No no lots more to come colonising planets, interstellar travel , disease free life just a few. Exoplanet brides  :chuckle:

Just wonder if the world will still be run by cheats and murderers then ;D

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »

But its only a short term problem? Science will solve it soon enough , people are already living longer.

When do you think Immortality will finally arrive? Im just wondering as the clocks ticking..

Yes, life expectancy is increasing over the centuries.  But think about it, when you reach 100, you are really look like "death warmed over".   :o   You would have to be able to find a way to really slow down the aging process (certain chemical reactions in the body would need to be reduced severely).  Did you see that episode of "Star Trek" where the space crew came upon a civilization where no one dies?  Things got so bad that they were looking for ways to kill off their people.   :fighting0025:

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »

I just don't want to die :(

Think about the alternative where nothing dies on this planet and EVERYTHING keeps reproducing.  The planet would be covered with ROACHES and PESTS everywhere.   :o  :ROFL:  That's right, death resistant life forms on this planet.   ;D

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »

No no lots more to come colonising planets, interstellar travel , disease free life just a few. Exoplanet brides  :chuckle:

What you experience in life depends on when/where you are born and living.  So you want to live in the distant future?  Well, go invent a time machine.  LOL   :laugh:

What about the people who have already passed away?  Do they not deserve to see the future too?   :nod:

Had you lived for several centuries, you could have experienced the Renaissance, countless revolutions, epidemics, natural disasters, world and local wars, and the change to the glacial structures on this planet.   :coffeeread:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:16 AM »

What you experience in life depends on when/where you are born and living.  So you want to live in the distant future?  Well, go invent a time machine.  LOL   :laugh:

What about the people who have already passed away?  Do they not deserve to see the future too?   :nod:

Had you lived for several centuries, you could have experienced the Renaissance, countless revolutions, epidemics, natural disasters, world and local wars, and the change to the glacial structures on this planet.   :coffeeread:

I don't care about the others!! As long as I can live forever, just like the guy in Prometheus looking for immortality :chuckle:
Or the guy in "Highlander" I could live in my house for centuries of course the cleaner would die every now and then but thats no big problem :)

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »

I don't care about the others!! As long as I can live forever, just like the guy in Prometheus looking for immortality :chuckle:
Or the guy in "Highlander" I could live in my house for centuries of course the cleaner would die every now and then but that's no big problem :)

Ah ha!  So you are not empathic.  Well history has many like that.   >:( :evilgrin0002:

Or also like Methuselah?  Or Ponce de Leon?   :8)

No, not that Scot character.  You want to be like Count Dracula.   :evilgrin0002:

Our human genomes will be modified to include the genetic material of microorganisms that live in the soil, enabling us to break down the junk proteins that our cells amass over time and which they can’t digest on their own. People will have the option of looking and feeling the way they did at 20 for the rest of their lives, or opt for an older look if they get bored. Of course, everyone will be required to go in for age rejuvenation therapy once every decade or so, but that will be a small price to pay for near-immortality.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/07/16/according-to-this-scientist-human-immortality-will-be-achieved/

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 02:33:30 AM »
This poor guy is 110 and just escaped the cooking pot!! Hell knows why anyone would want to eat a 110 year old, it would taste like dog food :sick0012:

Best lobster is just a few years old. :)

http://m.digitaljournal.com/news/odd+news/larry-the-110-year-old-lobster-saved-from-restaurant-menu/article/472692

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 03:07:35 AM »
Sadly Larry the Lobster was killed by negligence on his trip to Maine, to have been his new home.

Better to have served some useful purpose as some blokes dinner than to be thrown into a garbage bin after being left to die in a polystyrene box.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 03:26:39 AM »
I have caught many old lobsters usually the old ones are pretty big about 6/7/8 pounds in weight and covered in barnacles , just like in a disney movies :)

Always returned them  :)

Registration