The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Cheating in The 2016 Olympics  (Read 3942 times)

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
Russian Cheating in The 2016 Olympics
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
As a former collegiate competitive swimmer myself, It was great to see the Russian Men's 4 x 100 relay team miss the medal podium in the swimming event last night. #3 man Morozov who turned in the 6th fasted split in the event, was a two-time drug testing failure that was allowed into the games on a last minute appeal. If there is any justice in the world Yuliya Efimova, a FIVE TIME drug test failure will be denied a medal in the 100 Breaststroke for the same reason.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Gipsy

Re: Russian Cheating in The 2016 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »
Those who have been Proven "beyond" doubt of taking any banned substances should IMHO be excluded from ANY recognised competitive event for life..

Those who have been tested and declared "clean", should be allowed to compete anywhere in the world in competitive events.

Anything other than this is purely political... Unfair... and tar-brushing..

Testing for banned substances should be widened and intensified in all countries and I'm certain that many more people will be caught..

I also think that you yanks should hold your opinions and gloating in check, by remembering your man Armstrong and others...

The problem is that the US are applying pressure on WADA (who I personally don't trust), and the IOC amongst others, I also think that Seb Coe should be dismissed from his post with immediate effect, he's a gangster....

Just my opinion...

Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
Ankles getting wet again for some.

How does King Canute feel about Justin Gatlin?

How does the King feel about the many athletes who have never tested positive for any substance who will not be able to compete? Does he feel equally strongly that they have been wronged? Surely he does?

Whilst one is happy to see those guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs banned one is much less happy to see a choice to have a much less than level playing field.

It is worth remembering that Russia has only a very small margin of failed drug tests over, for example, the US team, notwithstanding a much heavier burden of testing.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »
I also think that you yanks should hold your opinions and gloating in check, by remembering your man Armstrong and others...

He cheated, and was stripped of all his titles and is now in disgrace.  It was the right thing to do.

Same with Marion Jones. 

I don't like cheaters, regardless of nationality.   

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
How does King Canute feel about Justin Gatlin?

I think Gatlin should be banned from the 2016 Olympics and will not be rooting for him to medal at all. 

How does the King feel about the many athletes who have never tested positive for any substance who will not be able to compete? Does he feel equally strongly that they have been wronged? Surely he does?

Whilst one is happy to see those guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs banned one is much less happy to see a choice to have a much less than level playing field.

It is worth remembering that Russia has only a very small margin of failed drug tests over, for example, the US team, notwithstanding a much heavier burden of testing.

The entire state-sponsored Russian athletic program has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to sanction an organized cover-up of performance enhancing drug use.  Period. 

557 "lost" positive drug tests thrown out for this Olympics is bullshit. 
 http://www.bbc.com/sport/36823453

I personally think that any athlete that fails more than one drug test IN THEIR LIFE should be banned from international sport.   

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »
Those who have been Proven "beyond" doubt of taking any banned substances should IMHO be excluded from ANY recognised competitive event for life..

Those who have been tested and declared "clean", should be allowed to compete anywhere in the world in competitive events.

Anything other than this is purely political... Unfair... and tar-brushing..

Testing for banned substances should be widened and intensified in all countries and I'm certain that many more people will be caught..

The problem is that the US are applying pressure on WADA (who I personally don't trust), and the IOC amongst others, I also think that Seb Coe should be dismissed from his post with immediate effect, he's a gangster....

Just my opinion...

Totally agree with your opinion.... and I would suggest to the American's to take a look at their own house before pointing their finger to Russia or any other country

American sportspeople in doping cases

:smokin:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:10:12 PM »
A different group of Russian athletes might be banned from Rio. Personally I can understand the prestige of Olympic Gold, but I don't see why Paralympics athletes would have to be involved in doping?  Anyone who can overcome a handicap to complete in a world-class competition is already a winner!

Russia banned from Paralympics: What, when, why?

http://rbth.com/sport/2016/08/08/russia-banned-from-paralympics-what-when-why_619235
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 08:09:14 PM »
There is justice in the world.

The 5 time drug-test failing Russian got beat.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 01:49:53 AM »
Yuri v. Gelder from the Dutch team got sent home by TeamNL management.

Apparently, he did a different kind of drugs... The Alcohol kind  :ROFL:

He has to be incredibly stupid. He beat a cocaine-addiction, got back in his game. Worked his way up to the olympics. Made it to the finals, and then started to celebrate before his last contest !!!!
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:05:19 AM »
The Paralympics issue will possibly go to court. The Mclaren/WADA fiction carries no evidence against any athlete and not even against the Russian testing system, there's just unsubstantiated stories from people who are already known to have been involved in criminal activity and have fled Russia to evade the consequences of their criminality.

My guess is that somebody's lawyers will talk to somebody, the IOC will talk to somebody and there'll be a walking back, saving embarrassing and costly court action, especially so given that Mclaren and WADA are busy walking back the claims upon which the Paralympics management made their choices.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 06:22:56 AM »

He cheated, and was stripped of all his titles and is now in disgrace.  It was the right thing to do.

Same with Marion Jones. 

I don't like cheaters, regardless of nationality.

+1  :thumbsup:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:58:47 PM »
The Paralympics issue will possibly go to court. The Mclaren/WADA fiction carries no evidence against any athlete and not even against the Russian testing system, there's just unsubstantiated stories from people who are already known to have been involved in criminal activity and have fled Russia to evade the consequences of their criminality.

My guess is that somebody's lawyers will talk to somebody, the IOC will talk to somebody and there'll be a walking back, saving embarrassing and costly court action, especially so given that Mclaren and WADA are busy walking back the claims upon which the Paralympics management made their choices.

Agree Andrew.  Mclaren and WADA will not survive a morning of cross examination in court.    If this "evidence" is exposed to public scrutiny the whole exercise will be exposed for what it has always been...

Decision made in our house.  No Olympics viewing whatsoever.  Not interested in this charade  (:)

Offline Boris

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »
One the subject of Armstrong. Makes me laugh every time...

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »
TV media really paints the Russian athletes, as cheaters. I just don't agree with how this was handled. Look at the millions of men through out the world that use performance enhancing drugs, just so they can have sex. Isn't that cheating as well? Regardless of drugs or not, it's shameful how the Russian athletes have been received in Rio.
Brazil should be embarrassed!
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline yankee

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
TV media really paints the Russian athletes, as cheaters. I just don't agree with how this was handled. Look at the millions of men through out the world that use performance enhancing drugs, just so they can have sex. Isn't that cheating as well? Regardless of drugs or not, it's shameful how the Russian athletes have been received in Rio.
Brazil should be embarrassed!

Don't forget the American (or should I say USAians?) swimmers.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
As a former collegiate competitive swimmer myself, It was great to see the Russian Men's 4 x 100 relay team miss the medal podium in the swimming event last night. #3 man Morozov who turned in the 6th fasted split in the event, was a two-time drug testing failure that was allowed into the games on a last minute appeal. If there is any justice in the world Yuliya Efimova, a FIVE TIME drug test failure will be denied a medal in the 100 Breaststroke for the same reason.

Efimova won the silver medal in the 100m breaststroke race yesterday.  She cried after the race (possibly disappointed at finishing second).  During the press conference after the race, she said she did not understand why she was being criticized by others.   :duh:

Side note:  A-rod is retiring this Friday.  His induction to the Hall of Fame is questionable.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »

Efimova won the silver medal in the 100m breaststroke race yesterday.  She cried after the race (possibly disappointed at finishing second).  During the press conference after the race, she said she did not understand why she was being criticized by others.   :duh:

Side note:  A-rod is retiring this Friday.  His induction to the Hall of Fame is questionable.

She cried because she was only caught five times?

As for A-Rod, as I noted elsewhere baseball and American football are so suspect that they make others look like amateurs in the use of PED's. I rarely watch the sports on TV and refuse to attend a game for the reality that PED's do not belong in sports.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »
Yulia Efimova, might be the finest looking woman to hit the pool in Rio.

FORGET LILLY KING, WE ARE OFFICIALLY JOINING TEAM YULIYA EFIMOVA

http://www.sportsgrid.com/real-sports/swimming/forget-lilly-king-we-are-officially-joining-team-yuliya-efimova/#slider1223_container

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »

Anybody who would root for that cheating bitch would probably vote for Hillary Clinton.

She failed FIVE drug tests in her swimming career.

She shouldn't even be in Rio. 

She is a nice looking woman but has no business competing against drug-free clean athletes.

Offline yankee

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »

Anybody who would root for that cheating bitch would probably vote for Hillary Clinton.

She is a nice looking woman but has no business competing against drug-free clean athletes.

Be interesting to know what drugs the US team uses.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »

Could you post a link to where it says she failed 5 times?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 09:50:08 PM »

Be interesting to know what drugs the US team uses.

I have read team Clinton prefers cocaine.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
Could you post a link to where it says she failed 5 times?

There is a Tass article where she admits to using the PEDs resulting in a ban to February 2015.

One A/B test was subsequent and two prior that resulted in her being 'stripped' of her wins.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:21 PM »

And she had received her punishment for it.

As long as she doesn't do drugs now, she should be welcome in Rio... as the powers that be said she is.

Dutch sportsman v. Gelder used Cocaine, cleaned up his act and was welcome in Rio too. He even made it to the finals of his sports event (Athletic rings) and then got punished for 'alcohol abuse' when he celebrated that event by sending him home to Netherlands.

Redicolous.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 04:37:09 AM »
A couple times is less than 5 .  Far as I have read there were 2 times.