The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Who is being scammed ?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Who is being scammed ?
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:06:55 AM »
My wife has a wonderful way with words.. :laugh:

Recently some guy went to meet a women in kiev and within two hours she asked him to purchase a $550.00 laptop.
He complained she was a scammer and all women are the same and only want to spend money... But as the wife says "whats the bloody problem with these men? They are very happy to arrive in Ukraine and within two hours ask the women to suck his ***** then take her to a cheap coffee shop , spend all weekend in some hotel expecting sex  then return home without even buying a rose"

Who's the scammer ?

Men arrive non stop 365 days a year in Ukraine looking for sex with younger women, probably more than the genuine guys looking for a wife. 

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Who is being scammed ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:25:57 AM »
If the exchange is as immediate and short term as you imply then undoubtedly the guy would have been better off negotiating for a weekend rate with a skilled service provider.

One might accept low standards in an amateur but one might be better off hiring a skilled service provider with less messing around and almost certainly more skills and better attitude than the arrangement the guy actually has.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steamer

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »

Who's the scammer ?

I don't think the woman is scamming so much but she has unrealistic expectations. Asking for a $550 laptop within 2 hours of a first date is just as objectionable as demanding a BJ within 2 hours. The good thing about a scenario like this is it takes all the guess work out of what sort of relationship is developing here.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:40:34 AM »

Who's the scammer ?

I don't think the woman is scamming so much but she has unrealistic expectations. Asking for a $550 laptop within 2 hours of a first date is just as objectionable as demanding a BJ within 2 hours. The good thing about a scenario like this is it takes all the guess work out of what sort of relationship is developing here.

Yes I agree.. but its funny how guys complain like old women when this happens.  Its life..Think of the poor women who took a taxi from Sumy to Kiev to meet her dream man only to be expected to get in bed after a cheap night out at some crummy restaurant..

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »

Who's the scammer ?

Yes I agree.. but its funny how guys complain like old women when this happens.  Its life..Think of the poor women who took a taxi from Sumy to Kiev to meet her dream man only to be expected to get in bed after a cheap night out at some crummy restaurant..

The selfishness and immaturity of some people is incredible. I was always told that it's better to go out with her 2 or 3 times to give her a chance to LIKE you a little bit before you try to jump her bones. That is if you plan on seeing her a second time. Courtesy.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
Men arrive non stop 365 days a year in Ukraine looking for sex with younger women, probably more than the genuine guys looking for a wife.

With out doubt there are men doing just that but on the last three flights this year to Kiev either via CDG or AMS it seemed there were none of this ilk. Most seemed to be from America before. Years before they were many; obvious, blatant and ugly I might add.

The reality and something that others have mentioned most of these 'men' could NOT get a date locally even if it included a happy ending on the first meeting.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »
Recently some guy went to meet a women in kiev and within two hours she asked him to purchase a $550.00 laptop.

Hold that thought.

He complained she was a scammer and all women are the same and only want to spend money...

A laptop is a pretty big "ask" within 2 hours of meeting.

But as the wife says "whats the bloody problem with these men? They are very happy to arrive in Ukraine and within two hours ask the women to suck his ***** then take her to a cheap coffee shop , spend all weekend in some hotel expecting sex  then return home without even buying a rose"

Is there any evidence that the laptop guy did this?  If so, you did not include it in your post.  What is apparent is that your wife made a pretty big "SWERVE!" here off of something that, evidently, actually occurred and on to a man-blaming hypothetical. 

Who's the scammer ?

Probably not the laptop guy. 

So now we're man-shaming guys for wanting sex?  Cleary, Steve, we're going to have to treat you as a "captive nation" moving forward.  :chuckle:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 03:25:28 PM »

Hold that thought.

He complained she was a scammer and all women are the same and only want to spend money...

A laptop is a pretty big "ask" within 2 hours of meeting.

But as the wife says "whats the bloody problem with these men? They are very happy to arrive in Ukraine and within two hours ask the women to suck his ***** then take her to a cheap coffee shop , spend all weekend in some hotel expecting sex  then return home without even buying a rose"

Is there any evidence that the laptop guy did this?  If so, you did not include it in your post.  What is apparent is that your wife made a pretty big "SWERVE!" here off of something that, evidently, actually occurred and on to a man-blaming hypothetical. 

Who's the scammer ?

Probably not the laptop guy. 

So now we're man-shaming guys for wanting sex?  Cleary, Steve, we're going to have to treat you as a "captive nation" moving forward.  :chuckle:

B/B

No he never did this! He was just a normal genuine guy..

But a huge majority of guys are only wanting a cheap f**** I see it all the time.. Of course they all love Slavic women BUT the cheaper F*** is always in Ukraine..Remember its costs $170.00 for a Russian visa and many guys now can only just afford the air fare, let alone a visa..

Probably why you see most of the guys visiting Russia are more serious. The rif raf and sex tourists prefer the cheaper option of Ukraine.

Lifes a bitch.

Online Texan77

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
When I am on the plane or in airport and see other Americans going or coming from the Ukraine most seem to already be in relationships and do not need or want a dating service. I am sure there are still some sex tourist but I do not see them like I did two to three years ago.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
When I am on the plane or in airport and see other Americans going or coming from the Ukraine most seem to already be in relationships and do not need or want a dating service. I am sure there are still some sex tourist but I do not see them like I did two to three years ago.

After a few trips this year to Ukraine as well this is my impression.

Online sparky114

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:14:02 PM »
Laptop!!! he was lucky that was cheap, if it had been Winter it would of been more money for a Fur coat!  :chuckle:

Or maybe its his excuse because she refused to jump his bones?

:coffeeread:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 12:38:14 AM »
Laptop!!! he was lucky that was cheap, if it had been Winter it would of been more money for a Fur coat!  :chuckle:

Or maybe its his excuse because she refused to jump his bones?

:coffeeread:

Maybe she did, but the experience wasn't worth a laptop.... ;D
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:54:38 AM »

Sex tourists can't afford to fly to Ukraine.. :laugh: they take the bus! Usually over land from a country beginning with T ...
Times are hard, why do you think they avoid Russia and the visa fee.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 03:01:46 AM »

Sex tourists can't afford to fly to Ukraine.. :laugh: they take the bus! Usually over land from a country beginning with T ...
Times are hard, why do you think they avoid Russia and the visa fee.

(un)Fortunately Eurolines does not serve Ukraine anymore.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 08:24:39 AM »
Looks like you can take a bus from Turkey for about 3000 Roubles..

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Turkey/Ukraine

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »
The trouble with cautionary tales about the price of entry in Ukraine is that we rarely hear the other side of the story.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
I think it used to be that the Turkish sex tourists preferred Moldova. I assume that changed now that Ukraine is even poorer than Moldova.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »
I think it used to be that the Turkish sex tourists preferred Moldova. I assume that changed now that Ukraine is even poorer than Moldova.

No Moldova is still the main supply point for slavic prostitutes.  No need to travel, there are thousands in Turkey.  Cheap too - going rate is 100TL  (about $35).

The days of western sex tourists traveling to Ukraine in large numbers is long gone - like  15 years ago.

Online Texan77

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »

Ukraine seems to be on rebound. When I do internet searches the price of a flat in Kiev seem to be up quite a bit from last year when I was looking. The apartment I rent last year when I was in Kiev is 25 per cent higher this year. When the war broke out nearly all construction in Kiev stopped. Last year many of the building were being completed. I not been there this year but I would not be surprise if even more of them are Bing completed now.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:57 PM »
The trouble with cautionary tales about the price of entry in Ukraine is that we rarely hear the other side of the story.

Isn't that what Antidate (assuming it's still around) is for?

No Moldova is still the main supply point for slavic prostitutes.  No need to travel, there are thousands in Turkey.  Cheap too - going rate is 100TL  (about $35).

Should we be worried that you seem to know what the going rate for Slavic hookers is in Turkey?  :chuckle:

The days of western sex tourists traveling to Ukraine in large numbers is long gone - like  15 years ago.

I'm sure you're wrong, Les, and Andrew will shortly be along to tell you based on his vast experience on the ground in Ukraine, er, opinion.  :chuckle:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 03:07:15 AM »
bb, little man,what on earth are you going on about?

Please share with us what you are trying to say.  tiphat

Online AvHdB

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:55 AM »

Ukraine seems to be on rebound. When I do internet searches the price of a flat in Kiev seem to be up quite a bit from last year when I was looking. The apartment I rent last year when I was in Kiev is 25 per cent higher this year. When the war broke out nearly all construction in Kiev stopped. Last year many of the building were being completed. I not been there this year but I would not be surprise if even more of them are Bing completed now.

Not entirely sure about the real estate values of Moldova, Steve would be able to give a more accurate opinion.

The economy in Ukraine is managing, it depends which segment you look at. Before I divided the economy into two. I now see it more layered. The top is still hurting though less than before. The middle economy is still moving but slowly. The bottom which is primarily cash driven is doing fine.

Real estate in Kiev is barely moving. The present reality is almost everything that is presently being offered is at pre-2008 prices. The sellers are unrealistic and the buyers are not willing to meet the sellers demands. Those that fled from the east fueled a minor 'boom'  but that has slowed down. Further international corporations have stopped sending new employees to Kiev. Either there operations are on hold or some are trying to wind down there activities. There is though renewed interest in various components of the agriculture business of Ukraine from the West. Canada and the Dutch being larger investors.

I can state this for the following my wife is a real estate broker in Kiev. Her OFFICE has sold three properties since May (two on the left bank). They have managed to rent a number of units which keeps the business running. A good friend works as an interior designer. Before Maidan there were nine employees now there are three, one being the owner, they have very little work.

Having written this Porchenko managed to get a new budget and tax bill through the Rada last year the goal to help smaller enterprises and individuals. This most likely will help the economies of the different regions. When over New Year and two Christmas's this winter it was difficult to find a place to stay in the Bukovel region. So by no means is the economy on life support. But the inbalances are monumental. With out support from the IMF the State budget would collapse.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »
Sounds like a bit of "cultural differences" going on here too?

I hear its common pace for well heeled blokes in the FSU, to have a mistress or two. The price for nookie on tap is undoubtedly more than a cheap meal or a coffee and woman aren't necessarily looked upon as prostitutes for being a mistress. In comes the western bloke, looking for a bird, a bit of action and not necessarily being overly obvious about a long term game plan. The lady in question then says ok I'l be your bit of fluff but you need to get your wallet out.

Well heeled Russian says good deal - Western tourist says Scammer!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
Some folks have a weird concept of the term 'managing'. Overall the economy is forecast to grow by no more than 1.5% during 2016, that's scarcely a rounding error given the contraction of over 12% during 2015, contraction of around 7% in 2014 and 0% in 2013 - cumulatively that's over 20% in 2 years. These are government figures and, given the other aspects of the economy, are more likely fantasy than reality; that is, matters are much worse than the claimed figures.

Of course, just as during the Great Depression of the US, the majority of people still have jobs - but their wages do not increase against a backdrop of official inflation figures of over 40% during 2015 and over 20% through 2014. Anyone living in Kiev might as well be living in a different country in comparison to the rest of the country.

If you don't beleive me, or you have 'experience' of one or two people that leads you to think otherwise then look at this chart: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ukraine/electricity-production
This is the chart showing electricity output in Ukraine. Select the five year time range. Look at the output. See the clear trend downward.

Electricity in civilised countries is a pretty infallible indicator of economic activity. It was the indicator that told me that Chinese output was slowing a few years ago and told me that global demand for manufactures was falling. Same for Ukraine. Those numbers are harder to fudge. They tell us that right now the Ukraine economy is still shrinking and has gained nothing back. The seasonal peaks and troughs remain but the trend line is fixed downward.

Ukraine is not 'managing' anything, not even its own decline.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
Anyway back on the subject off scammers I know some guys seem to have some kind of mental 25 hours when with a young women often deluded into believing every word the little tyke tells them. Their brain can seriously disfunction and all sorts of thing.

Heres a little article to read before you go for dinner with your young beauty queen..

http://ideas.ted.com/this-is-how-our-bodies-betray-us-in-a-lie/