The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Military coup underway in Turkey?  (Read 5896 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Military coup underway in Turkey?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
According to dutch news yes.

The military is in progress of coup'ing Erdogan.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Erdogan is on vacation outside Turkey. The senior military commander is being held.  He was an Erdogan appointee

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
Erdogan is on vacation outside Turkey. The senior military commander is being held.  He was an Erdogan appointee
Depending on the goals, this is very well timed, or very poorly timed.

OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
Dutch news now says, there is strife within the army, half still supports Erdogan and half is doing the coup.

This will get ugly quickly.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
I wonder if the Septics are funding that? He has become a liability to them of late. As we know, they like a bit of regime change.

https://twitter.com/JohnDelacour/status/754073127186030592

He said the act was encourage by the "parallel structure" - his shorthand for followers of Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based Muslim cleric who he has repeatedly accused of attempting to foment an uprising among his followers in the judiciary and the military.

But that said, them shooting down that Russian plane rattled cages one may choose not to rattle in hindsight. That was always going to have a consequence.

Les may know more if he is still there.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »
RT has live coverage:
Facebook, YouTube and Twitter already blocked there:

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
It is not the first time the military has staged a coup in Turkey in recent history.

Will be interesting to hear Leslie'd insight and observations. I hope and pray he and his family are safe.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
This is very interesting.  Erdogan, has provided very controversial leadership and has slanted heavily towards authoritarianism over the last year.  Turkey recently reengaged with Israel.  Turkey also recently reengaged with Russia.  Not sure why and why now.  This will  be interesting to follow. 

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
Here is an update

Shootout with mass casualties reported in central Ankara, over 150 injured in Istanbul

https://www.rt.com/news/351472-turkish-coup-shooting-casualties/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 02:29:56 AM »
All over before it really got started.  The coup was mounted by a faction within the armed forces, most remained loyal.

They plotters failed to capture or kill Erdogan - Huge mistake.  Once he appealed to the people the game was up.

It is over now,  Erdogan remains in power.  No doubt he will be even more paranoid and dictatorial than ever.

Nothing whatsoever happened in my neighborhood.  We, like most of Turkey watched events unfold on CNN  :thumbsup:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 03:37:45 AM »
Many ppl in NL believe erdogan set this up for himself to identify &eliminate his opponents in the military
OO===[][]===OO

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 03:45:26 AM »
Many ppl in NL believe erdogan set this up for himself to identify &eliminate his opponents in the military

I talked at length with a couple of my Turkish friends this morning, one of them shared this opinion. 

In any event Erdogan will emerge from this situation in a much stronger position.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 04:29:41 AM »
Friends  in the levant reckon this was a stunt BY Erdogan..to allow him to impose new laws...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 05:45:23 AM »
Last night I was busy watching…. Greek and other TV channels for the coup Turkey and missed this post, otherwise, I would have kept you informed, well in advance from all western media, except the Greek stations. Obviously the Greek stations and Government were very interested and the Greek foreign office was feeding the Media, for obvious reasons.

It was amazing how fast, well informed and accurate were the Greek TV stations, as they were transmitting information about the events, nearly 2 hours ahead from the usual UK channels, BBC, SKY ITV and the UK RT, that I was watching on my TV.

The Greek State TV ERT, at around 22.30 GMT revealed and transmitted live Ertogan’s Skype connection with a Turkish private TV station and his call to people to come out on the streets.

They also revealed Ertogan’s location was in Marmaris town and showed live his Skype message with translation to the Turkish people. Also transmitted live the events at CNN station and the Message by the leaders of the Coup. Later the changing of hands of the station, from the army to the public and retransmission and finally at 01.00 GMT showed the people out on the streets attacking the tanks.

The Greek Kontra TV, showed also live Ertogan’s Skype message (feeding from ERT) with translation. This station was following Ertogan's Falcon private plane from Marmaris to Istanbul and told us the exact time of landing there.

Of course by then the developments were clear, that Ertogan, was regaining control, so at 4 GMT went to sleep.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 07:06:50 AM »

I talked at length with a couple of my Turkish friends this morning, one of them shared this opinion. 

In any event Erdogan will emerge from this situation in a much stronger position.

Pondering the bold part is this a good thing?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »
No, it probably isn't a good thing from the perspective of those who are of the opinion that a 'presidential' system, embodied in Erdogan is not a good thing for Turkey or the region.

From my perspective when looking at the coup attempt as presented to us that's what concerns me. I look at who benefits and Erdogan is a clear beneficiary of last night's events.
He can now claim a mandate for pretty much anything.

Overall I am concerned about the following:
1) Why were there no leaders to the coup? (scapegoats will be found, I am sure of that!)
2) How come Erdogan, the PM and Erdogan's appointee head of military were not killed or at least imprisoned (the last, to be fair was held for a while)?
2) Why was not the parliament and its members not rendered incommunicado?
3) Why are almost all those connected with the 'coup' of low rank? Remember that very often coups d'etat occur under the leadership of military of colonels. They are high enough in rank to be familiar with the state powers and the people who embody those powers and yet low enough to have a direct relationship with the rank and file military. As somebody else put it this was a sergeant's coup. An unusual and odd thing.
4) How come this happened when Erdogan was conveniently away from Istanbul, but still within Turkey. I had thought he was away from Turkey, that was incorrect. By foresight or the best luck in the universe he was far enough away from Istanbul to be 'safe' yet close enough to return in a short hop in his plane at the right time.

The cynic in me sees this stuff as being a little rummy.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »

3) Why are almost all those connected with the 'coup' of low rank? Remember that very often coups d'etat occur under the leadership of military of colonels. They are high enough in rank to be familiar with the state powers and the people who embody those powers and yet low enough to have a direct relationship with the rank and file military. As somebody else put it this was a sergeant's coup. An unusual and odd thing.

That reminds me of the Greek Colonels, who with the instigation of the CIA on 21 April 1967 took over power and installed a dictatorship in Greece, while the ex-king Konstantine was organising his own coup with the Generals.

I found this US Message on a Greek site.....  Erdogan has cut the electricity to the Incirlick Air base and the base is not operational. Looks that Erdogan suspects the American's for the coup!

:reading:

The American installations in Incirlik operate with internal power source and the loss of the main source does not affect its operations, the base, "said Pentagon spokesman.

Detained is the Commander of the Second Army that conducts war against the PKK and the Army Commander of the Third Army. The arrests are numerous and concern all levels of the army which is not consistent with the failure of the coup.

265 are dead, 1600 injured, 3,000 soldiers have been arrested along with 2700 judges.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
Wiz, When in Ukraine (Kiev/Zhytomyr) during the troubles a couple years back there were almost exactly the same warnings from the Embassy/Consulate; nothing new or sinister.

While I am not sure I would use rummy to describe the reality, I see an attempt to further bolster the powers of & by Erdogan who is a bit a loose canon or an old school South American dictator (depends on your perspective). Of course if one looks, I guess one can find the evil powers of America and G. Soros behind this all.

As for Greece and the events of 1967 this was America at its worst.

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »
Erdogan has cut the electricity to the Incirlick Air base and the base is not operational. Looks that Erdogan suspects the American's for the coup!

Isnt this the base the Americans repatriated 700 military wives and children back from in March? Citing "security issues"?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 02:44:28 AM »
Wiz, When in Ukraine (Kiev/Zhytomyr) during the troubles a couple years back there were almost exactly the same warnings from the Embassy/Consulate; nothing new or sinister.

While I am not sure I would use rummy to describe the reality, I see an attempt to further bolster the powers of & by Erdogan who is a bit a loose canon or an old school South American dictator (depends on your perspective). Of course if one looks, I guess one can find the evil powers of America and G. Soros behind this all.

As for Greece and the events of 1967 this was America at its worst.

While warnings like that are normal... from the USA consulates, did you read the 1st paragraph of the ADANA consulate warning?

Access to the Base is not permitted and electricity was cutoff!

The US was accused of supporting the f-16 with bombs and fuel, at the base, which were bombing in Ankara, around his Palace .... and downed the helicopter there.

Yesterday evening listening to Ertogan comments, it was clear in my mind that everything was planned and organised to clear his opponents who want to keep the Secular statu in the country......established by Kemal Attaturk.

I get the feeling that all the international political prostitutes....... including the Russian ones, were knowing about the coup. Did you see Kerry and Lavrov faces......together in Moscow?

REF the Greek coup, organised by the CIA.

Put yourself in my place: Middnight 20-21 April 1967, 22 years old, sitting with my friends in an open cafe in Athens (Fokionos Negri street, the Greek Sloan square) and a tank together with an army truck full of soldiers appearing .... and we were ordered to go home and the shop to be shut but ...... no public transport........no taxis.

My house was 3 miles away and had to walk in the dark, while the soldiers were shooting the cats, (to create the atmosphere of fear) but I didn't know that and was fearing for my life.

You never forget episodes like that in your life..... especially when at the end ... you have to leave your country... so not to be collected and send for a Free holiday in one the lovely Greek, uninhabited islands, while your young family is left with out your financial support.

More news:

Former legal adviser of General Staff of Turkish Armed Forces Colonel Muharrem Koschei, named as the brain of the coup, according the Anadolu agency.

According to the agency, among the coup there are, another colonel, a lieutenant colonel and a major. The Turkish agency reports that have already captured some of the putschists.

Manny:

If you remember in a previous post I posted the info that the Americans are building another base inside Kourdistan area....inside Syria.

Sorry but Its Sunday and time for family....visit. enjoy the day!

Offline Texan77

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 08:08:55 AM »
No, it probably isn't a good thing from the perspective of those who are of the opinion that a 'presidential' system, embodied in Erdogan is not a good thing for Turkey or the region.

From my perspective when looking at the coup attempt as presented to us that's what concerns me. I look at who benefits and Erdogan is a clear beneficiary of last night's events.
He can now claim a mandate for pretty much anything.

Overall I am concerned about the following:
1) Why were there no leaders to the coup? (scapegoats will be found, I am sure of that!)
2) How come Erdogan, the PM and Erdogan's appointee head of military were not killed or at least imprisoned (the last, to be fair was held for a while)?
2) Why was not the parliament and its members not rendered incommunicado?
4) How come this happened when Erdogan was conveniently away from Istanbul, but still within Turkey. I had thought he was away from Turkey, that was incorrect. By foresight or the best luck in the universe he was far enough away from Istanbul to be 'safe' yet close enough to return in a short hop in his plane at the right time.

The cynic in me sees this stuff as being a little rummy.

I believe this somewhat supports your position.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-turkey%e2%80%99s-coup-failed-according-to-an-expert/ar-BBuoI7v?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U218DHP
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
The full truth of what happened last Friday night 15 July in Turkey will be debated for decades to come. But there have been some excellent first attempts to piece together events.

Selim Koru offers a first-hand account of the night from Ankara, with an insightful take on how the different sides of Turkey’s polarised politics saw events unfold.

TURKEY’S LAST COUP: What I Saw In Ankara

As the clock continue ticking and time increasingly passing, it becomes clear that the real coup was not instigated by the unorganised and uncoordinated units that took to the streets of Istanbul and Ankara, but from their president Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the deep state that he has established, been so many years in power. The deep state in Turkey is alive for decades in the form of the Gray wolves and various paramilitary and other organizations with organic interconnection with MIT (Military secret Service) and in general the intelligence services.

Where are the evidence of the battlefields of the law–abiding citizens (Gray wolves) against the coup participating army units that according to official information – were hundreds of dead and wounded?

Not a single photo came to light or exists, which show the damages and indicate the hardness of the fighting. Where are the helicopters and planes that supposedly were shot down? Nowhere.

The funerals of the "martyrs" staged and sickening especially the one where Erdogan attended with his Crocodile tears for his close party associate who supposedly fell "for his faith and fatherland".

At the same time the arrests amount to thousands. Some information speak for tens of thousands, relating not only to military and government officials but also  trade unionists, members of leftist organisations, activists of all kinds and so on. The extensive area of the arrests, but also the fact that many of those arrested are disappearing without trace, shows widespread clearing of the state, the armed forces and the society. It’s an operation that would be a normal consequence of a real coup.

It appears that, Erdogan has gone berserk. His power tends to become absolute. He no longer has any restrictions from the parliament, constitutional or legal order of any kind. Turkey has plunged into a formal repressive regime or more precisely “an open dictatorship.”

From the first moment we heard about the so-called coup in Turkey, it became clear that was reminiscent of the similar way the coup was executed and evolved in August 1991 in Moscow, which gave the opportunity to Yeltsin to gain absolute power and to  dismantle the USSR. After many years we learned that the leaders of the coup were in co-operation  with Yeltsin. That is why one of them was not condemned by the Yeltsin regime. The "people" mobilised by Yeltsin were a mob recruited mainly from the underworld of Moscow.

Let us see things as they are:

1. The coup was initially an operetta in terms of design and execution. The survivors of the Greek Junta of 21 April 1967, will be laughing with those who have designed and organise it!

READ THIS ARTICLE TO LEARN: April 21st, 1967… A day “not” to remember!

Front left: 1) George Papadopoulos, The Dictator, 2) PM Kollias, 3) Ex King Konstantine, 4) Zoitakis Leader of the Arm forces and most important behind the ex king on his Left 5) Stylianos Patakos, head of the Arm tanks school in Athens who completely executed their plan and he is 97 yrs old still alive.

The information mainly transmitted by the foreign press seems that this coup was initiated by senior officers and not by higher Echelon staff. The generals either originally played in concert with Erdogan, or played a double role in the evolution of the coup and changed side. The US certainly knew, but did not appear to have active involvement, and wanted to see “where the ball will sit”!

2. Erdogan was ready for what happened. I think he was preparing it for years. How else we can explain the frightening lack of coordination and the target object. How else can we explain the ease with which Erdogan broadcasted messages when supposedly the first thing you do in a coup or a revolution by military means is to control perfectly the energy, telecommunications and of course you take care to "decapitate" the state apparatus. None of these things happened. The picture given by the coup was that they had no leadership or coordination, nor knew what they wanted to do. There was no plan. Or it was always the plan: to give the image that some military coup taking place, to conceal the true coup attempts by Erdogan himself.

3. The large Turkish population was absent as the armed forces, of which the bulk was not involved in the developments. The people gathered at various points amounted to a few thousands. Anyone who has followed the events or taken part in Taksim Square and has seen or has lived popular mobilization of the Turkish people, knows very well that those gathered, against the coup, were just few big groups of people. These were organized fan groups and followers of Erdogan's party all paid salaries by the party and used whenever the Chief wants mobilised fans, for any reason, or in Erdogan’s speeches in front of the "people" of the day. Any one easily can distinguishe the symbol of gray wolves, formed with their fingers by many of them.

4. Turkey and the Turkish people now feel what the coup means. Erdogan essentially overthrew any notion of constitutional order in response to the coup, whatever constitutional order though it was left in Turkey. He talks about the return of the death penalty, retroactively. He talks about constitutional reform in order to get his absolute power. He abolished, virtually the judicial system of the country overnight by expelling over 2,700 judges. The arrests are widespread and whoever opposes Erdogan is characterised terrorist and "enemy of the fatherland." The hundreds of dead and wounded from the "coup" does not come from the supposedly harsh battles that took place between allied and hostile to Erdogan forces, but from slaughtering mostly in the camps where the regime's praetorians stormed. The testimonies timidly surfacing speak of unprecedented massacre against whoever had been marked earlier, as enemy of the Erdogan regime.

Today we are reading on the FT and other media that Purge continues The purge carried on, this time ripping through Turkey's education system, where 15,000 were dismissed. Diplomatic ties between Washington and Ankara are set to be strained after Turkey launched an official request for the extradition of Fethullah Gulen, who is based in the US. FAZ reports on the hunt for traitors spreading to Turkish communities in Europe.

All above information lead us naturally to the conclusion that the Erdogan regime  organised or was prepared to seize control of the operetta-coup, last Friday in order to impose its own “Night of the long knives”. The same thing happened when Hitler, whom Erdogan is an admirer, on 30 June 1934 proceeded to massive purges against its own first and foremost SA paramilitary organisation led by Roma. Within three days he cleared over 1,000 members. Roma and his organisation staged a coup was the official reason of the slaughter! Official apologists of the Nazi call, even today this episode as Rohm-Putsch, ie Roma coup.

On 5 July 1934 the Nazi newspaper Volkischer Beobachter reported that a meeting of the Reich government two days ago the "Minister of Defense General Blomberg thanked the Fuhrer in the government's name and the army for the decisive and courageous action, which saved the German people from civil war ... "After that the Reich government ratified a law measures to defend the state, which stated:" the measures taken on June 30, on 1 and July 2 to suppress treason acts deemed legally as it was necessary for the defence of the state. "

The similarity on the way that Erdogan legitimises his actions today, are not at all coincidental. Of course the Erdogan led despotic regime or dictatorship - with parliamentary or not cover, in Turkey it’s not only more dangerous for the country itself and its people, but also it’s much more unpredictable and destabilising factor for the whole region.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
Wiz, as you are aware I dislike quoting lengthy posts. Shall we assume you are correct above, I am more curious to see how RUA sees the future of Turkey?

Will the European Union accept this 'coup' and the increased controls that the Preident places on Turkish society?

For what it is worth over 500 schools and academies have been closed now in Turkey. Why I wonder?

Another thing I wonder about how will the Turkish community beyond the borders of Turkey respond? It seems the 'cleric' in America is little more than a pawn or bit player.

Registration