The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Importing goods into Russia  (Read 905 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Importing goods into Russia
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:48:23 AM »
Hi all,

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/woman-arrested-in-russian-airport-with-undeclared-580000-ring/575072.html

I was thinking when I read this, is it now illegal to be rich in Russia?

She was wearing the ring when she got arrested.

According to the Official rules, you can have a maximum of $10.000 on you duty-free in Russia.

Suppose I travel with my laptop (2000) , mobile phone (900) and 3000 in cash because no ATM will work in Crimea with a European bankcard.

Of course, my consumer-goods are not worth anymore the amounts I paid for them, but still I am already over half to this amount without even trying.

A good pair of shoes + watch + tablet + quality clothing and you may top the 10k easily.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Importing goods into Russia
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:19:48 AM »
I bet there's more to the story than is shared here. Yonks ago it was recommended to declare stuff of high value when going into Russia. Seems to me that there's no harm in doing so even today.

Not declaring such a high value item seems foolhardy. It is worth remembering that jewelry is a common way to intentionally transport wealth without attracting oversight from taxation authorities.

Was the woman acting as a mule? That's probably the investigative intent of the Russian authorities.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Importing goods into Russia
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 05:39:20 AM »

Suppose I travel with my laptop (2000) , mobile phone (900) and 3000 in cash because no ATM will work in Crimea with a European bankcard.

They work if you have a Russian bank account .... :chuckle: Problem solved
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Registration