The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Church and State Sign Agreement to Prevent Abortion  (Read 295 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Wonder if this might be the first step in eventually trying to ban abortions?

Russian Church and State Sign Agreement to Prevent Abortion

http://russia-insider.com/en/russia-church-and-state-sign-agreement-prevent-abortion/ri15445
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Russian Church and State Sign Agreement to Prevent Abortion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:47 AM »
Is Russia so close to America that it wants to follow Roe v Wade?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »

http://russia-insider.com/en/russia-church-and-state-sign-agreement-prevent-abortion/ri15445

I think that the Orthodox church would like to see that - well, they have already said as much.

Don't forget that in Russia and to a greater or lesser degree all the Russish countries have an attitude toward abortion that places it at the same level as condoms and ahead of the pill as a means of contraception. Only a few years ago the average Ukrainian woman would have 11 abortions across her life. Russian women were not far behind.

Here, in Estonia this is still a pretty common situation.

In Russia (and I think other nearby countries) abortion is free - that makes it a rational choice in comparison to the cost of the pill or condoms and, of course, the pill has long term and quite severe health impacts. Abortion is seen as an easy fix, but is bloody expensive to offer as a free service.

Russia is keen to increase the number of kids born, even though births are now at population stabilising levels, more little Russians in such a huge country is  a very good thing for Russia and Russia's future. So, this is an economic issue at least as much as a moral or ethical one. For that reason, if no other, I do not expect that there will be the hypocrisy that is seen in the USA.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »

an attitude toward abortion that places it at the same level as condoms and ahead of the pill as a means of contraception. Only a few years ago the average Ukrainian woman would have 11 abortions across her life. Russian women were not far behind.

Here, in Estonia this is still a pretty common situation.

The mind boggles - 11, really? 

From what I have read, sometimes abortions can cause the inability to have kids later in life (say 29-34 age range).  Does this explain what I see on some sites, 30yo+ women that say they want to have kids, but don't have any?
Anchors Rewoven

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
The figure is hard to beleive, but imagine an active sex life and no contraception?

I know women here who have had many abortions. It is contraception.

To be honest I see no reason to treat it otherwise.

But, yes, abortions do increase the risk of not being able to conceive later on; however, many women would regard that as a bonus and welcome relief.

Here's a thought experiment to conceptualise the numbers:
Look back in old books about the West, about frontiersmen and women. Look at the family pics. See how often there are large families shown and recall that what you are seeing is the residue after the early deaths of many kids.

Now think about what you see in Russia, Ukraine etc. How many big families do you see?

There's hardly any.

The Western frontier in the 19th Century United States - normal people having sex but little or no contraception and very few abortions for all sorts of good reasons.

FSU, today - small families, disdain for contraceptive pill and condoms but lots of abortions. Where did all those kids go, the ones that you don't see?

In a bucket...

Now the number does not seem so incredible does it?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
I'm wondering what the long term effects will be?
If more women give birth, will the Russian government get strict with collection of support from the fathers? If not it could become very costly for the Russian government if there would be an increased need for subsidizing child care.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
There are many American's who view abortion as the killing another human. It is for this reasoning that there is such a negative attitude in America towards abortion. But there is another reality sex in the States is not exactly accepted. I read in a message to the editor page of a local newspaper from a (woman?) that any position except missionary was immoral?  :hidechair:

I sort understand with this mind set why men might look in the former Soviet Union for a partner.

The flip side is that abortion in the former Soviet Union is seen as a form of birth control, and there is a percentage of women if they use this method of birth control regret this choice. An abortion can reduce the chances to conceive latter in life for a woman

For the good order abortion (after 12 weeks) is an invasive medical procedure.

I suspect the long term effects are based on your upbringing and beliefs. From where I see things we are speaking about the moral aspects of abortion.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot