The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tourist visa question for Russia.  (Read 1614 times)

Offline travelingamy

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Tourist visa question for Russia.
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:45:41 AM »
I have a friend in Kaliningrad who wants to host me for a trip there in October - she is applying for a homestay visa for me.  The problem is, she's a huge procrastinator and dragging her feet like crazy.  I'm hoping I can just get the invitation from her, and then expedite my visa with the Washington DC consulate so I can fly as planned in October.  But just in case she takes too long and drags her feet more, I was going to try and obtain a tourist visa as a backup.  So my confusion lies in lodging and registration. 

I am OK with booking a hotel for say a couple of nights so I can be registered, etc., but I'm hoping that I'd have some freedom of movement after that and be able to just stay with my friend since it would be more convenient and cheaper.  I'll only be there for 2 weeks, but booking a hotel for 2 weeks that I'm not going to stay at seems like a huge waste of money.  I read that after my time at the hotel is up, I'll have to be registered again wherever I'm staying, and that having a private person register me may cause some problems. 

I'm combing the internet and finding no answers.  So what I'm wanting to know, in a nutshell, is how do people travel independently in Russia without having to book a hotel the entire stay, and how does one go about registering themselves again after their stay at the hotel is over?

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Tourist visa question for Russia.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »
Welcome,

You have 7 business days to register in any city you visit, which would almost cover your entire stay in Russia. I wouldn't worry about it after the initial registration.

I haven't been stopped by the police in ages, but lately, because of Russia's involvement in Syria (and the fact that I carry a 20lb backpack on my shoulder constantly), I've been stopped a few times, had my backpacked scanned and asked for my documents. While I'm legally registered, I haven't received my card because the lady that handles that for me is on vacation.

However, no policeman has asked me for my registration, just checks that I am who I am, and my visa is current. Relax, get your visa registered and forget about it. Worst case scenario is that you pay a few hundred ruble fine. Most likely, as in almost 100%, you won't be stopped by the police. I also travel around Russia freely and have never been stopped by the police outside Moscow. Enjoy your trip.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
I have a friend in Kaliningrad who wants to host me for a trip there in October - she is applying for a homestay visa for me.  The problem is, she's a huge procrastinator and dragging her feet like crazy.  I'm hoping I can just get the invitation from her, and then expedite my visa with the Washington DC consulate so I can fly as planned in October.  But just in case she takes too long and drags her feet more, I was going to try and obtain a tourist visa as a backup.  So my confusion lies in lodging and registration. 

I am OK with booking a hotel for say a couple of nights so I can be registered, etc., but I'm hoping that I'd have some freedom of movement after that and be able to just stay with my friend since it would be more convenient and cheaper.  I'll only be there for 2 weeks, but booking a hotel for 2 weeks that I'm not going to stay at seems like a huge waste of money.  I read that after my time at the hotel is up, I'll have to be registered again wherever I'm staying, and that having a private person register me may cause some problems. 

I'm combing the internet and finding no answers.  So what I'm wanting to know, in a nutshell, is how do people travel independently in Russia without having to book a hotel the entire stay, and how does one go about registering themselves again after their stay at the hotel is over?

You could post the question directly to the ministry of Foreign affairs in Kaliningrad at:

http://kaliningrad.mid.ru/web/kaliningrad_en/ask-us-a-question

You should receive a response fairly quickly..

HTH..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline simkelyte

• Banned Spammer
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:29:08 AM »
Do i need Visa if i am coming from Lithuania?
I did have a spam link here, but you can spam me instead @ simkelyte@gmail.com

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:48:53 AM »
Do i need Visa if i am coming from Lithuania?

From Lithuania to where??

Surely a member of Tour operator BALTIC TOURS would know the answer... ;D
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen