The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Athletes banned from Rio Olympics  (Read 4132 times)

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Russian Athletes banned from Rio Olympics
« on: June 17, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Lord Coe bows to political pressure and bans the Russian Track and Field team from the Rio Olympics.

https://www.rt.com/sport/347108-russian-athletes-olympics-ban/

This decision is entirely political.  If it were about doping then a list of Russian Athletes who have recently failed drugs tests would be banned from competition - not the whole national team!!

I reckon Putin should now withdraw Russia from the Rio Olympics entirely and make it clear that if the 2024 games are handed to Los Angeles then Russia will not attend.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Russian Athletes banned from Rio Olympics
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
Lord Coe bows to political pressure and bans the Russian Track and Field team from the Rio Olympics.

This decision is entirely political.  If it were about doping then a list of Russian Athletes who have recently failed drugs tests would be banned from competition - not the whole national team!!

I reckon Putin should now withdraw Russia from the Rio Olympics entirely and make it clear that if the 2024 games are handed to Los Angeles then Russia will not attend.

How can you fail a drugs test if you hide from the testing team in a military city? 

Premier league footballers have to allocate a location they will be in for 1 hour every day for potential drug testing.

There must be an endemic of type 2 diabetes in Russia, what with all the young healthy athletes taking meldoniem as well as Sharapova to "prevent diabetes".  :laugh:

Athletics, cycling, bodybuilding all riddled with drugs the world over. But, State sponsored doping schemes take the piss (and swap it for someone else's).

Lord Coe has his arse handed to him on a plate last night by Panorama.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »

How can you fail a drugs test if you hide from the testing team in a military city? 

Premier league footballers have to allocate a location they will be in for 1 hour every day for potential drug testing.

There must be an endemic of type 2 diabetes in Russia, what with all the young healthy athletes taking meldoniem as well as Sharapova to "prevent diabetes".  :laugh:

Athletics, cycling, bodybuilding all riddled with drugs the world over. But, State sponsored doping schemes take the piss (and swap it for someone else's).

He should be sacked immediately....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »

Anna Antseliovich (Russia anti doping agency) has already said in interview with Sky news that Russian track and Field has a major problem with doping.

She's acting interim director....after 4 other senior members of staff were pumped.

I hate Putin and Russia being labelled the boogey man and propaganda nonsense. But they should get Oscar Pistorious involved, he's got more of a leg to stand on.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »

Anna Antseliovich (Russia anti doping agency) has already said in interview with Sky news that Russian track and Field has a major problem with doping.

She's acting interim director....after 4 other senior members of staff were pumped.

I hate Putin and Russia being labelled the boogey man and propaganda nonsense. But they should get Oscar Pistorious involved, he's got more of a leg to stand on.

oooooooo, that's below the belt knee.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:12:07 PM »
It's a dirty shame these athletes devoted their lives to train for the opportunity to complete in the Olympics, and it's taken from them.
Track and field is basically an individual sport, so why not allow all that pass the test to be allowed to complete?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline yankee

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
It's a dirty shame these athletes devoted their lives to train for the opportunity to complete in the Olympics, and it's taken from them.
Track and field is basically an individual sport, so why not allow all that pass the test to be allowed to complete?

Let me make a guess at that.  The west wants Russia to look bad?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:26 PM »

leslie you do not understand what you are writing about.

This is not politics but sports. Way to many Russian athletes have in detail described the doping program of the Russian sports federation. Please note the entire comittee headed by Lord Coe voted 100% for a ban. This despite rather intense lobbying by Russia for a different decision. This is simply about a fair and equal sports playing field.

What you hint at and is mentioned upthread and is a valid point that I can understand/sympathise with is the point of view there are individual Russian competitors who have said NO to drugs and they are also being banned. But please spare us saying poor Russia is being painted in a bad way. It is now common knowledge that Russia has used and promoted PED's to/for its competitors, on a Federation level. There simply can be no discussion about this. They have tried to hide this from the public and since it has come to light, tried to cheat and manipulate there way into avoiding this scenario of being banned. There attempts to clean up THERE own mess were attempts at duplicity and outright deception.

It came back to bite them and Puttyweaselin did not work.

As for Putin (Russia) withdrawing from the next Olympics I seem to recall many (including Russia) complaining about the Western boycott of the Moscow Olympics after the invasion of Afghanistan. Putin would be an idiot to attempt this. What we are really seeing is an independent body holding Russia accountable for its actions. And what will happen; there will be an appeal by Russia to the IOC and than the ass wipes in Geneva will bow to the pressure from Russia. Though every competitor and the general public will know that a Russian medal given in Rio is tainted.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:27:46 AM »
Finally the voice of sanity.

Big time cheating deserves big time penalty. Put on your big boy pants. As famous murderer Baretta used to say, don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:13:06 AM »
Av,

Are you saying that Russia was the ONLY country used Performance enhancing drugs (PED's)? 

What about Belarus, Ukraine, Kenya, Ethiopia??

Granted during the FSU period the CCCP systematically used PED's to enhance their medal tally.  This carried on into the 21st century but Russia was not the only country doing this.

Banning a national team is a political act.  PERIOD. The IAAF is just a western controlled quango.  It is almost as bad as FIFA!

Banning athletes who have tested positive for PED's is just and proper.  Banning all athletes of a given nationality is not.

Though every competitor and the general public will know that a Russian medal given in Rio is tainted.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

Any woman who wins a pole vault medal will know that it is undeserved because Yelena Isinbaeva was not allowed to compete, despite the fact she has never tested positive for PED's

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 03:27:08 AM »

Though every competitor and the general public will know that a Russian medal given in Rio is tainted.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE
Of course its bullshit and just what we need, more anti-Russian bias that wouldn’t look out of place over at the other place – only thing missing is the celebrating smileys from AV’s post!!

Big time cheating deserves big time penalty. Put on your big boy pants.
Of course it’s not a bonus that it was them damn Russkis :Zzzzsleep:
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:11:00 AM »

COMPLETE BULL SHITE
Of course its bullshit and just what we need, more anti-Russian bias that wouldn’t look out of place over at the other place – only thing missing is the celebrating smileys from AV’s post!!

It is quite obvious that Av has become nothing more than another Ukraine apologist. It's quite evident as his posts have become more and more anti-Russian over time.

To the point, if an athlete tests positive for banned drugs then that athlete should be banned, not the entire team, period. If an athlete refuses to test when called upon they too should be banned from competition. As someone who has competed in organized sports I know that a team always has alternates to fill any void left by anyone who can't, for whatever reason, fulfill their obligations.

Either a team uses an alternate who tests negative or leaves the place on the team void, but banning an entire team from competition because some members tested positive is unheard of ever in the history of the Olympics.

In the past whenever someone asked me about PED's in the Olympics, the first countries that came to mind were Germany and China.

To say this is not political is beyond naive. To think that Russia is the only country involved in juicing their athletes takes the naïveté to a whole other level. 

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline yankee

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 05:46:23 AM »

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

It is quite obvious that Av has become nothing more than another Ukraine apologist. It's quite evident as his posts have become more and more anti-Russian over time.

To the point, if an athlete tests positive for banned drugs then that athlete should be banned, not the entire team, period. If an athlete refuses to test when called upon they too should be banned from competition. As someone who has competed in organized sports I know that a team always has alternates to fill any void left by anyone who can't, for whatever reason, fulfill their obligations.

Either a team uses an alternate who tests negative or leaves the place on the team void, but banning an entire team from competition because some members tested positive is unheard of ever in the history of the Olympics.

In the past whenever someone asked me about PED's in the Olympics, the first countries that came to mind were Germany and China.

To say this is not political is beyond naive. To think that Russia is the only country involved in juicing their athletes takes the naïveté to a whole other level.

+ 1

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 06:25:49 AM »
Av,

Are you saying that Russia was the ONLY country used Performance enhancing drugs (PED's)? 

No

Granted during the FSU period the CCCP systematically used PED's to enhance their medal tally.  This carried on into the 21st century but Russia was not the only country doing this.

Banning a national team is a political act.  PERIOD. The IAAF is just a western controlled quango.  It is almost as bad as FIFA!

Yes and no. The practices of the USSR with regards sporting achievements are ongoing and it seems to have never stopped. Regarding the other countries there attempts have been on some cases been amateur hour. About other countries we are discussing Russia, lets stay on one topic or if some are happy to start new topics feel free to do so.

There is another thread regarding this and it has some more background and responses that are enlightening.

Banning athletes who have tested positive for PED's is just and proper.  Banning all athletes of a given nationality is not.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

Leslie, I relieves me a bit that you can agree about banning those who are using PED's but you fail to understand or acknowledge the Russian federation made a choice to give these drugs to there athletes and than attempted to hide or dismiss the evidence. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE BANNED. Sorry this is so black and white that it sounds like a some posting in a dark room are complaining about the fact the fact they are bumping into objects.

Any woman who wins a pole vault medal will know that it is undeserved because Yelena Isinbaeva was not allowed to compete, despite the fact she has never tested positive for PED's

Regarding clean athletes I have already said my thoughts upthread.

Sorry though the reality makes you guys uncomfortable. The simple facts if some one cares to study them are black and white. A little bit like when the Queen asked who was second and her Admiral replied there is no second. The only difference is those NOT asking questions or looking at facts are a bunch of drama queens.

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:27:57 AM »

Odd, though it is for me water off a ducks back, where do I mention Ukraine? We are discussing PED's and there abuse.

Free Hint: We are not discussing politics or who has bigger weaponilly but sports. Is it so challenging to stay on subject?

Offline yankee

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 06:50:09 AM »
Av,

No

Yes and no. The practices of the USSR with regards sporting achievements are ongoing and it seems to have never stopped. Regarding the other countries there attempts have been on some cases been amateur hour. About other countries we are discussing Russia, lets stay on one topic or if some are happy to start new topics feel free to do so.

There is another thread regarding this and it has some more background and responses that are enlightening.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

Leslie, I relieves me a bit that you can agree about banning those who are using PED's but you fail to understand or acknowledge the Russian federation made a choice to give these drugs to there athletes and than attempted to hide or dismiss the evidence. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE BANNED. Sorry this is so black and white that it sounds like a some posting in a dark room are complaining about the fact the fact they are bumping into objects.

Regarding clean athletes I have already said my thoughts upthread.

Sorry though the reality makes you guys uncomfortable. The simple facts if some one cares to study them are black and white. A little bit like when the Queen asked who was second and her Admiral replied there is no second. The only difference is those NOT asking questions or looking at facts are a bunch of drama queens.

I think Russia is lucky considering that Rio is the center of an ongoing epidemic.  The US should pull their team for health safety.

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 07:05:08 AM »
I think Russia is lucky considering that Rio is the center of an ongoing epidemic.  The US should pull their team for health safety.

:laugh:

There are two sides to this, the post competition parties are often little more than orgies.

But if any other countries were not present in RIO there would be many PED testers, doing obscene things with there thumbs.

As an aside there are still concerns about the regatta waters with one team supposedly running over a butchered animal two weeks ago.  :sick0012:

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 11:42:53 PM »
Quote from: Bruce Lee
only thing missing is the celebrating smileys from AV’s post!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline pando

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 06:18:57 AM »

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

Danchik, you are completely wrong and your post indicates that you have not made yourself familiar with the background, which is useful when discussing. If it was (only) individual athletes who tested positive, then it would be a different story. In this case however, the Russian sports administration blocked access to sport villages/centers for the WADA-test personnel, intimidated the test personnel, systematically manipulated samples and tests to make the outcomes favourable etc etc. The list is long, and actions from the Russian sport administration are well documented. Therefore, the punishment is not individual, but a collective one. It is 100% appropriate, but I agree with AvHdB that the ban most likely will be lifted by IOC sooner or later. It would be very unfortunate, but I think it will. Clearly, Russia is not the only sinner, and also athletes from other countries take drugs, but the scale of involvement from the official Russian sports administration is unprecedented (well, at least after the death of DDR) and very well documented. That is why action is taken against Russia, but not (for the moment) against other countries.

Of course, for some, this is another example of "everybody is against Russia and the West is only after sabotaging Russia etc".  It is impossible to discuss with such people, as they will spin everything in this direction, much like Putin and his crew.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
I never understand why so many people take these steroids or what ever! Especially the guys. I mean you can have a body like Tarzan .. the problem is it gives you a small Penis!

So you have to out way the advantages with the disadvantages?  personally I would rather have a big penis than big muscles  :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 06:48:03 AM »
I never understand why so many people take these steroids or what ever! Especially the guys. I mean you can have a body like Tarzan .. the problem is it gives you a small Penis!

So you have to out way the advantages with the disadvantages?  personally I would rather have a big penis than big muscles  :laugh:

For some people, for some things, a big penis is not the most important thing in the world!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 06:50:08 AM »

For some people, for some things, a big penis is not the most important thing in the world!

I know  :) But it seriously does shrink it using all that stuff.. And I wouldn't fancy carrying tweezers about with me all day  :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 07:07:26 AM »
Bear in mind that such effects are not universal, but there are other effects as well. I have no way to know for sure but I'd bet that most folks who use steroids suffer from some adverse effect or other.

Look at it this way, I accept that in my life, doing the work I do, there are constraints; there's always a price to pay for doing that which we enjoy or are good at. I pay the price because I enjoy the work I do and I like being good at it.

If I were an MMA fighter, for example, I might well consider that the price I pay in health terms for the use of the drugs I take was well worth the benefit I receive from having done so. I know fighters who have used such drugs and who certainly consider that the benefits outweigh the costs.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »
Rio like any large City in the Americas presents significant risks much greater than say NYC, Atlanta or Los Angeles:

Street Crime, roving bands of children pickpockets swarm people and rob anything they may have on them and 2 man teams on Motorcycles are daily Carjacking and robbing Taxi customers in slow highway traffic - similar and drugs crime is rampant... often with the cooperation of the Taxi Cab drivers.  Riders are warned to keep smarth phones, Notebook PCs and fancy watches or jewelry out of site - a diamond ring can feed a family for a year - and only use licensed cabs - or possibly Uber etc as the drivers must pass a license and background checks.

Drugs gangs are as bad in Rio as they are in Mexico...  fact of life in Latin America and the USA.

Zika is a pernicious form of mosquitoe born contagion as most mosquitoes are active in moist shady or dark air typically after the sun sets like micro vampires - the Zika variant is active in the mid day sun sort of like a supersquitoe.

Pollution in the rivers and ocean shore venues is often uncontrolled...

HIV is prevelent for those with more than sports in mind.

So what is the interepid first Southern Americas Olympics fan to do?

Islamist Extremists are able to easily hide among the crowds in the chaos of South American Cities

http://at-riskinternational.com/rio2016/

PLANNING TO ATTEND RIO 2016?

The Olympic Games operate by their own, unique set of rules—an independent country within the host country. The 2016 Games will be the first Olympics in South America, a part of the world with its own security challenges. An experienced security partner can help you understand what to expect and how to prepare, allowing you and your guests to enjoy the international celebration safely, with peace of mind.
Before heading to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, understand three critical factors:

The Olympic Games are a unique entity—one that follows its own set of rules. Even if you know Rio de Janeiro, you won’t know Rio 2016.

These Olympics, the first in South America, will present security challenges very different from other Olympic host cities. Brazil in particular is known for protests, street crimes and its favelas.

Perceived wealth of American <and European> tourists makes them favorite targets for criminal activity.
Any criminal or group looking for an easy mark or looking to make a statement will flock to Brazil.
AT-RISK International can protect you, your guests or your clients at the Olympics, at Brazilian tourist sites and anywhere in Latin America.

and;

Truly Third World Olympics - Stadiums built between slums... The Maracanã stadium is seen between the Turano (left) and Mangueira shantytowns in Rio de Janeiro. The police presence for the Summer Games will be as elevated in tourist areas of Rio as they were for the 2014 World Cup, but that means less security for the city’s poorer communities during the events.

Notorious incidents that get amplified in the media can create a gap between real and perceived risk. The high-profile killing of a 17-year-old girl in Rio on Saturday led Brazilian soccer star Rivaldo to post an ominous message on his 407,000-follower Instagram account warning foreigners not to come to the Olympics.

"Things are getting uglier here every day," Rivaldo wrote. "I advise everyone with plans to visit Brazil for the Olympics in Rio — to stay home."

Much as Brazil dealt successfully with protecting visitors during the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the government will redeploy police and military from throughout Rio state to guard the tourists. Muggah estimates that more than 80,000 security personnel, including at least 30,000 members of the army and reserves, will be deployed to guard the tourists, media and athletes, making parts of Rio, population 6.3 million, one of the most protected parts of the vast country during the 17-day event that starts Aug. 5.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-official-wary-of-athletes-staying-outside-olympic-village-2016-4
Olympic officials are worried about athletes' safety outside the Olympic Village in Rio

The U.S. men's and women's basketball teams will be staying on a cruise ship in Rio's renovated port area, where increased security is already expected.

3 Days ago:  Things getting worse NOT better:
Rio 2016: Brazil detects Islamic State radical posts in Portuguese
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-18/rio-olympics-brazil-detects-is-radical-posts-in-portuguese/7522512

Security concerns add to recession, political woes

Brazilian authorities are on high alert ahead of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro from August 5 to 21.

They say more than 80,000 security personnel will police the Games — twice the number deployed at the last Olympics in London in 2012.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for deadly attacks on civilians in various countries.

Authorities suspect many of its followers are radicalised and recruited online.

"The opening of this new front in the spreading of information for extremist indoctrination, aimed at the Portuguese-speaking public, increases the complexity of the job of tackling terrorism," the intelligence agency said in its statement.

"It represents an additional means of radicalizing Brazilian citizens."

Brazil is already reeling from recession and a political crisis.

President Dilma Rousseff has been suspended to face an impeachment trial.

The Senate is set to vote on whether to impeach her in mid-August, during the Games.

I will be watching on Satellite TV cable channels thank you very much.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »

Thats a very smart new avatar.. :thumbsup:

Registration