The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Athletes banned from Rio Olympics  (Read 1573 times)

Online leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Russian Athletes banned from Rio Olympics
« on: June 17, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Lord Coe bows to political pressure and bans the Russian Track and Field team from the Rio Olympics.

https://www.rt.com/sport/347108-russian-athletes-olympics-ban/

This decision is entirely political.  If it were about doping then a list of Russian Athletes who have recently failed drugs tests would be banned from competition - not the whole national team!!

I reckon Putin should now withdraw Russia from the Rio Olympics entirely and make it clear that if the 2024 games are handed to Los Angeles then Russia will not attend.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Russian Athletes banned from Rio Olympics
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
Lord Coe bows to political pressure and bans the Russian Track and Field team from the Rio Olympics.

This decision is entirely political.  If it were about doping then a list of Russian Athletes who have recently failed drugs tests would be banned from competition - not the whole national team!!

I reckon Putin should now withdraw Russia from the Rio Olympics entirely and make it clear that if the 2024 games are handed to Los Angeles then Russia will not attend.

How can you fail a drugs test if you hide from the testing team in a military city? 

Premier league footballers have to allocate a location they will be in for 1 hour every day for potential drug testing.

There must be an endemic of type 2 diabetes in Russia, what with all the young healthy athletes taking meldoniem as well as Sharapova to "prevent diabetes".  :laugh:

Athletics, cycling, bodybuilding all riddled with drugs the world over. But, State sponsored doping schemes take the piss (and swap it for someone else's).

Lord Coe has his arse handed to him on a plate last night by Panorama.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »

How can you fail a drugs test if you hide from the testing team in a military city? 

Premier league footballers have to allocate a location they will be in for 1 hour every day for potential drug testing.

There must be an endemic of type 2 diabetes in Russia, what with all the young healthy athletes taking meldoniem as well as Sharapova to "prevent diabetes".  :laugh:

Athletics, cycling, bodybuilding all riddled with drugs the world over. But, State sponsored doping schemes take the piss (and swap it for someone else's).

He should be sacked immediately....

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »

Anna Antseliovich (Russia anti doping agency) has already said in interview with Sky news that Russian track and Field has a major problem with doping.

She's acting interim director....after 4 other senior members of staff were pumped.

I hate Putin and Russia being labelled the boogey man and propaganda nonsense. But they should get Oscar Pistorious involved, he's got more of a leg to stand on.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »

Anna Antseliovich (Russia anti doping agency) has already said in interview with Sky news that Russian track and Field has a major problem with doping.

She's acting interim director....after 4 other senior members of staff were pumped.

I hate Putin and Russia being labelled the boogey man and propaganda nonsense. But they should get Oscar Pistorious involved, he's got more of a leg to stand on.

oooooooo, that's below the belt knee.

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:12:07 PM »
It's a dirty shame these athletes devoted their lives to train for the opportunity to complete in the Olympics, and it's taken from them.
Track and field is basically an individual sport, so why not allow all that pass the test to be allowed to complete?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online yankee

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
It's a dirty shame these athletes devoted their lives to train for the opportunity to complete in the Olympics, and it's taken from them.
Track and field is basically an individual sport, so why not allow all that pass the test to be allowed to complete?

Let me make a guess at that.  The west wants Russia to look bad?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:26 PM »

leslie you do not understand what you are writing about.

This is not politics but sports. Way to many Russian athletes have in detail described the doping program of the Russian sports federation. Please note the entire comittee headed by Lord Coe voted 100% for a ban. This despite rather intense lobbying by Russia for a different decision. This is simply about a fair and equal sports playing field.

What you hint at and is mentioned upthread and is a valid point that I can understand/sympathise with is the point of view there are individual Russian competitors who have said NO to drugs and they are also being banned. But please spare us saying poor Russia is being painted in a bad way. It is now common knowledge that Russia has used and promoted PED's to/for its competitors, on a Federation level. There simply can be no discussion about this. They have tried to hide this from the public and since it has come to light, tried to cheat and manipulate there way into avoiding this scenario of being banned. There attempts to clean up THERE own mess were attempts at duplicity and outright deception.

It came back to bite them and Puttyweaselin did not work.

As for Putin (Russia) withdrawing from the next Olympics I seem to recall many (including Russia) complaining about the Western boycott of the Moscow Olympics after the invasion of Afghanistan. Putin would be an idiot to attempt this. What we are really seeing is an independent body holding Russia accountable for its actions. And what will happen; there will be an appeal by Russia to the IOC and than the ass wipes in Geneva will bow to the pressure from Russia. Though every competitor and the general public will know that a Russian medal given in Rio is tainted.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:27:46 AM »
Finally the voice of sanity.

Big time cheating deserves big time penalty. Put on your big boy pants. As famous murderer Baretta used to say, don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Online leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:13:06 AM »
Av,

Are you saying that Russia was the ONLY country used Performance enhancing drugs (PED's)? 

What about Belarus, Ukraine, Kenya, Ethiopia??

Granted during the FSU period the CCCP systematically used PED's to enhance their medal tally.  This carried on into the 21st century but Russia was not the only country doing this.

Banning a national team is a political act.  PERIOD. The IAAF is just a western controlled quango.  It is almost as bad as FIFA!

Banning athletes who have tested positive for PED's is just and proper.  Banning all athletes of a given nationality is not.

Though every competitor and the general public will know that a Russian medal given in Rio is tainted.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

Any woman who wins a pole vault medal will know that it is undeserved because Yelena Isinbaeva was not allowed to compete, despite the fact she has never tested positive for PED's

Online Bruce Lee

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 03:27:08 AM »

Though every competitor and the general public will know that a Russian medal given in Rio is tainted.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE
Of course its bullshit and just what we need, more anti-Russian bias that wouldn’t look out of place over at the other place – only thing missing is the celebrating smileys from AV’s post!!

Big time cheating deserves big time penalty. Put on your big boy pants.
Of course it’s not a bonus that it was them damn Russkis :Zzzzsleep:
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Danchik

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:11:00 AM »

COMPLETE BULL SHITE
Of course its bullshit and just what we need, more anti-Russian bias that wouldn’t look out of place over at the other place – only thing missing is the celebrating smileys from AV’s post!!

It is quite obvious that Av has become nothing more than another Ukraine apologist. It's quite evident as his posts have become more and more anti-Russian over time.

To the point, if an athlete tests positive for banned drugs then that athlete should be banned, not the entire team, period. If an athlete refuses to test when called upon they too should be banned from competition. As someone who has competed in organized sports I know that a team always has alternates to fill any void left by anyone who can't, for whatever reason, fulfill their obligations.

Either a team uses an alternate who tests negative or leaves the place on the team void, but banning an entire team from competition because some members tested positive is unheard of ever in the history of the Olympics.

In the past whenever someone asked me about PED's in the Olympics, the first countries that came to mind were Germany and China.

To say this is not political is beyond naive. To think that Russia is the only country involved in juicing their athletes takes the naïveté to a whole other level. 

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online yankee

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 05:46:23 AM »

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

It is quite obvious that Av has become nothing more than another Ukraine apologist. It's quite evident as his posts have become more and more anti-Russian over time.

To the point, if an athlete tests positive for banned drugs then that athlete should be banned, not the entire team, period. If an athlete refuses to test when called upon they too should be banned from competition. As someone who has competed in organized sports I know that a team always has alternates to fill any void left by anyone who can't, for whatever reason, fulfill their obligations.

Either a team uses an alternate who tests negative or leaves the place on the team void, but banning an entire team from competition because some members tested positive is unheard of ever in the history of the Olympics.

In the past whenever someone asked me about PED's in the Olympics, the first countries that came to mind were Germany and China.

To say this is not political is beyond naive. To think that Russia is the only country involved in juicing their athletes takes the naïveté to a whole other level.

+ 1
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 06:25:49 AM »
Av,

Are you saying that Russia was the ONLY country used Performance enhancing drugs (PED's)? 

No

What about Belarus, Ukraine, Kenya, Ethiopia??

Granted during the FSU period the CCCP systematically used PED's to enhance their medal tally.  This carried on into the 21st century but Russia was not the only country doing this.

Banning a national team is a political act.  PERIOD. The IAAF is just a western controlled quango.  It is almost as bad as FIFA!

Yes and no. The practices of the USSR with regards sporting achievements are ongoing and it seems to have never stopped. Regarding the other countries there attempts have been on some cases been amateur hour. About other countries we are discussing Russia, lets stay on one topic or if some are happy to start new topics feel free to do so.

There is another thread regarding this and it has some more background and responses that are enlightening.

Banning athletes who have tested positive for PED's is just and proper.  Banning all athletes of a given nationality is not.

COMPLETE BULL SHITE

Leslie, I relieves me a bit that you can agree about banning those who are using PED's but you fail to understand or acknowledge the Russian federation made a choice to give these drugs to there athletes and than attempted to hide or dismiss the evidence. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE BANNED. Sorry this is so black and white that it sounds like a some posting in a dark room are complaining about the fact the fact they are bumping into objects.

Any woman who wins a pole vault medal will know that it is undeserved because Yelena Isinbaeva was not allowed to compete, despite the fact she has never tested positive for PED's

Regarding clean athletes I have already said my thoughts upthread.

Sorry though the reality makes you guys uncomfortable. The simple facts if some one cares to study them are black and white. A little bit like when the Queen asked who was second and her Admiral replied there is no second. The only difference is those NOT asking questions or looking at facts are a bunch of drama queens.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:27:57 AM »

Odd, though it is for me water off a ducks back, where do I mention Ukraine? We are discussing PED's and there abuse.

Free Hint: We are not discussing politics or who has bigger weaponilly but sports. Is it so challenging to stay on subject?