The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hello!!  (Read 3417 times)

Offline amp51

Hello!!
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:36:17 AM »
Hello everyone!! 

I wanted to write and introduce myself as I have been a member for some and have spent a lot of time reading and learning a tremendous amount from everyone on this site!  Thank you all!!

About a year ago and somewhat by accident I met a lady from Ukraine.  Her daughter put her name and picture up on a site.  I wrote to her and at first she was extremely reserved and stand-offish but I persisted and she relented! I had only ever written to one other person (from the Philippines) for any length of time but that stopped abruptly when her family started in on whether or not I would ever show up to see her!

We have got along extremely well despite an indescribable event before I left. 

A few months after our initial contact I arranged to fly to Lvov to visit her but that trip was wrecked by my ex and my son.  They were convinced I was going to be kidnapped, murdered, tortured, held for ransom or all of it and called the police the night before I was to leave.  They came to the house where my ex and I live  - the separation is amicable and we are living in the house until it sells - and tried to talk me out of it.  When I would not budge, they threatened to have my passport revoked.  I was so furious at the time that it did not occur to me that they did not have the authority to revoke passports (Canada) so, the next morning, as my lady was arriving in Lvov by train, I had to message her to let her know I was not coming and told her why.  I did not want to show up at the airport and have the local militia tell me I was unable to travel since my passport was revoked and, by the way, we would like to have a further word with you.  I did not want anything appearing on my record anywhere as it is spotless.

Understandably, she was furious, thinking it was my decision and that I was not interested any longer.  Nothing I said, again very understandably, would convince her otherwise.

We did not communicate for a week or two and then I wrote to ask if we could start again.  It took lots of back and forth until she understood what I was saying about the police visit and the potential of having my passport revoked.  I was so relieved and ecstatically happy when she wrote to tell me she wanted to continue chatting with me.

In the meantime, I drove to a border crossing post and dropped in to see the immigration people to find out the status of my passport.  When I told him that the provincial police threatened to revoke my passport he broke out laughing and said that only the Passport Office could do that and that the police had absolutely no authority.  I was relieved.

Long story short, our chats developed into a lovely, gentle and strong relationship and I asked if I could go and visit her and she readily agreed.  We decided to meet in Odessa this time.

We spent the most wonderful two weeks together!  She looked after arranging an apartment for us and met me at the airport.  Her daughter had graduated from university in Odessa so she knew the city well and showed me all over the place.  With my love for classical music, we went to a superb performance of Swan Lake at the gorgeous Opera House in Odessa and generally had a wonderful time.  I hated having to go back and leave her there.

Since then we have become engaged to be married and we are deciding on whether she would move to Canada or I would move to Ukraine.  Wouldn't bother me at all to move there.  We text every day and have an absolutely wonderful, open and uncomplicated relationship.  On the very few occasions we have had "challenges", we have resolved them very quickly and quietly. 

She is a wonderful woman - so gentle and understanding and absolutely in no way demanding.  She is more concerned about me and worries about me for the slightest thing.  She is learning to appreciate my sense of humour and to gain a sense of real humour and permits me to tease her in her very gracious manner.

I feel so lucky and so happy!

Offline Gipsy

Re: Hello!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
Hello everyone!! 

I wanted to write and introduce myself as I have been a member for some and have spent a lot of time reading and learning a tremendous amount from everyone on this site!  Thank you all!!

About a year ago and somewhat by accident I met a lady from Ukraine.  Her daughter put her name and picture up on a site.  I wrote to her and at first she was extremely reserved and stand-offish but I persisted and she relented! I had only ever written to one other person (from the Philippines) for any length of time but that stopped abruptly when her family started in on whether or not I would ever show up to see her!

We have got along extremely well despite an indescribable event before I left. 

A few months after our initial contact I arranged to fly to Lvov to visit her but that trip was wrecked by my ex and my son.  They were convinced I was going to be kidnapped, murdered, tortured, held for ransom or all of it and called the police the night before I was to leave.  They came to the house where my ex and I live  - the separation is amicable and we are living in the house until it sells - and tried to talk me out of it.  When I would not budge, they threatened to have my passport revoked.  I was so furious at the time that it did not occur to me that they did not have the authority to revoke passports (Canada) so, the next morning, as my lady was arriving in Lvov by train, I had to message her to let her know I was not coming and told her why.  I did not want to show up at the airport and have the local militia tell me I was unable to travel since my passport was revoked and, by the way, we would like to have a further word with you.  I did not want anything appearing on my record anywhere as it is spotless.

Understandably, she was furious, thinking it was my decision and that I was not interested any longer.  Nothing I said, again very understandably, would convince her otherwise.

We did not communicate for a week or two and then I wrote to ask if we could start again.  It took lots of back and forth until she understood what I was saying about the police visit and the potential of having my passport revoked.  I was so relieved and ecstatically happy when she wrote to tell me she wanted to continue chatting with me.

In the meantime, I drove to a border crossing post and dropped in to see the immigration people to find out the status of my passport.  When I told him that the provincial police threatened to revoke my passport he broke out laughing and said that only the Passport Office could do that and that the police had absolutely no authority.  I was relieved.

Long story short, our chats developed into a lovely, gentle and strong relationship and I asked if I could go and visit her and she readily agreed.  We decided to meet in Odessa this time.

We spent the most wonderful two weeks together!  She looked after arranging an apartment for us and met me at the airport.  Her daughter had graduated from university in Odessa so she knew the city well and showed me all over the place.  With my love for classical music, we went to a superb performance of Swan Lake at the gorgeous Opera House in Odessa and generally had a wonderful time.  I hated having to go back and leave her there.

Since then we have become engaged to be married and we are deciding on whether she would move to Canada or I would move to Ukraine.  Wouldn't bother me at all to move there.  We text every day and have an absolutely wonderful, open and uncomplicated relationship.  On the very few occasions we have had "challenges", we have resolved them very quickly and quietly. 

She is a wonderful woman - so gentle and understanding and absolutely in no way demanding.  She is more concerned about me and worries about me for the slightest thing.  She is learning to appreciate my sense of humour and to gain a sense of real humour and permits me to tease her in her very gracious manner.

I feel so lucky and so happy!

Hi and welcome..

I wish you both every happiness...

Good Luck..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
Thanks for introduction.
Welcome to the forum!!!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
Welcome Amp.

Wow.....what an introduction. Always interested to see other folks attempting to beat my marriage speed record. Lots in there that makes me think "hmmm" but lets be positive.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »
Good fortune, take care! Go fast - slowly!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
First time I went to Russia my brother was convinced I was going to end up drugged in the Urals and my organs harvested by the Uralskiye Mafia.

I was totally unfazed, until the end of the first trip the current Mrs Ste's father and her brother took me on a trip in his car at night to see 'the lakes' i.e. man-made reservoirs, in Chel. down these narrow country lanes, I'd did ever so slightly think how many kidney's do I actually need anyway and what does a liver actually do....?

Still got 'em tho!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
I'd did ever so slightly think how many kidney's do I actually need anyway and what does a liver actually do....?

Still got 'em tho!

They were probably in such poor condition that they were of no use to anyone else as secondhand goods. Possibly lucky for you that you enjoy a beer or 10. ;)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
I'd did ever so slightly think how many kidney's do I actually need anyway and what does a liver actually do....?

Still got 'em tho!

They were probably in such poor condition that they were of no use to anyone else as secondhand goods. Possibly lucky for you that you enjoy a beer or 10. ;)

Pity! As an aside I do now have the odd wee swally now and again, but my slight wonky ticker precludes me nowadays. Doc's orders!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 10:59:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum Amp take some time and have a read and then feel free to jump in  tiphat
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 03:06:00 AM »
Hi Amp, welcome to the madhouse, belatedly.
What you wrote made you sound a little naive, but I freely admit I was in my first forays into this world.
There are plenty of differing opinions and experiences in the members here, so you will find plenty of advice to take or ignore.
I wish you all the best in your relationship, but remember NO amount of skyping or sms's replace actual time in each others presence 24/7.
I spent 30 days at a time living with my ex wife in Russia (flyin-flyout) for a year ...and still didn't "know" the woman who turned up to live in Australia full time.
Still the best thing that ever happened to me......I have a son  :nod:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
Amp, welcome to RUA.

Perhaps you want to tweek and adjust your initial post as a TR (travel report) it sounds interesting and might have some insight for newbies.

Understand at any given moment there might be some members viewing threads and several times that amount of so-called 'lurkers'. Not really an issue or problem just a reality. You are in fact assisting these folk.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot