The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Visa three and five years for Russian tourists by Greece  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Visa three and five years for Russian tourists by Greece
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

Greece will exhaust every possibility to accommodate the wave of Russian tourists, and from now on will issue visas three and five years for those Russian citizens are entitled, assured the head of the Federal Tourism Agency of Russia Oleg Safanof the Greek Deputy Foreign Minister Nikos Xidakis. Indicative of this change is that in May the Greek consular authorities in Russia, issued, according to Mr. Xidakis, 90,000 visas, much more than the same month last year.

During the meeting Mr. Xidakis with Mr. Safanof in Moscow, announced the Foreign Ministry confirmed that both sides will have full cooperation by both sides in the tourism sector and the Russian tourism, was agreed, to be supported by Greece. Also, the two sides agreed to cooperate on communication and information matters to the public, with joint press conferences for the fullest possible information of Russian citizens.

In this light, Mr. Xidakis stressed the full aid to the project by the Greek consular authorities and gave a commitment that will continue even more intensively in the same direction until the end of summer. At  the time the Russian citizen submit the application and supporting documents, the visa will be issued as soon as possible in order not to exceed seven working days, stated Deputy Foreign Minister and added that any increase of tourist traffic from a people who love Greece and its culture it’s profit for the country and the national economy.

After the meeting and completing his three-day visit to the Russian capital, Mr. Xidakis met with Russian media, and Greek correspondents informing about the findings of the trip and reiterated the intention of the Greek government to continue working systematically to the Greek-Russian cooperation to bring the best results for both sides.

Source: http://www.makeleio.gr/?p=631360
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Visa three and five years for Russian tourists by Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »

Greece will exhaust every possibility to accommodate the wave of Russian tourists, and from now on will issue visas three and five years for those Russian citizens are entitled

After the meeting and completing his three-day visit to the Russian capital, Mr. Xidakis met with Russian media, and Greek correspondents informing about the findings of the trip and reiterated the intention of the Greek government to continue working systematically to the Greek-Russian cooperation to bring the best results for both sides.

Source: http://www.makeleio.gr/?p=631360

What are the criteria for 'entitlement'  ?

As Greece is currently a Schengen member - I'm presuming these visas Schengen ones  ? I ask as many schengen visa requiring nationals - example Belarus / Russia - have probs getting long-term visas - often having to pay for new ones for every trip... A friend recently got  Schengen for the duration [ only ] of his trip to visit family in Germany
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:10:50 AM »
As I have found in the past, the criteria for issuing Schengen visas varies from country to country and over time and so what may be true of an application to Greece, at this time, will not be applicable to a person seeking a visa for Germany.

We should also remember that the visa should be applied for to the state that is the principal destination of the intended visit - thus a bloke wishing to go to Germany should not apply to Greece. He might get away with it on a land journey with Greece as the first stop but much less likely if he flies to Germany from Russia, or even flies to Greece and onward to Germany.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Fair play to the Greeks.. :thumbsup:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:11:26 AM »
I suspect these are national visas not Schengen ones.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 03:05:21 AM »
I suspect these are national visas not Schengen ones.

Whilst I don't have the Greek visa page to hand I looked at the Lithuanian one, which I do.

I am guessing that, as a part of both the EU and Schengen that the Greek and Lithuanian situation will be the same.

Thus, any visa granted as a 'national' visa has the following benefit:
Aliens who own valid national visas (D) may travel to territories of other Schengen states for a period up to 90 days within any 180-day period.

What this means is that a 'national' visa is automatically a Schengen visa with the limitations and benefits that apply to that form. That has always been my understanding. So, if one is applying for a Schengen visa it is only ever valid for 90 days in 180. If one applies for a long term visa for any one Schengen area country then it also gives Schengen area travel for 90 from 180 days as well.

So, the visas being issued by Greece will be Schengen visas within the terms of the Schengen agreements. However, we should remember that this does not give free access to the rest of Europe. As noted above, the visa is for the primary destination, Greece. If the primary destination is not Greece then travelers can not rely upon the document for travel to other countries. It'd not be much good for a traveler transiting Greece en route to, for example, Spain.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
The Consulate General in Moscow is in a position to issue and deliver to Russian tourists more visas than are being requested (Moscow, 31 May 2016)

Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Alternate Foreign Minister Nikos Xydakis today chaired a consular meeting at the our embassy in Moscow, with the participation of the Greek Ambassador and Consuls General in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Novorossiysk. At the meetings conclusion, he stated the following:

“I am here today to make sure that we have resolved the problems faced by our Moscow Consulate in issuing visas. It wasn’t simple. I was informed of the increased needs in December. Unprecedented action needed to be taken. A plan was made and systematically implemented, bringing results. In the space of 120 days, organizational and technical improvements were carried out; improvements that should have been started two years earlier. And we haven’t finished yet. There are other steps that will be taken, so that we can handle similar issues in the future.  (Typical Greek bull. It was about time they moved their arsses and modernise the system)

Today, the Consulate is in a position to issue and deliver, on a daily basis, more visas to Russian tourists than are being requested. And continuing to bolster the Consulate, we will endeavour to make this the case through to the end of the summer. This May, our three consular missions in Russia issued over 85,000 visas, for a 50% increase over the same month last year.

Moreover, on the occasion of “Greece Russia Year 2016,” and bearing in mind what is by general admission the excellent use of these visas by Russian citizens, we are capitalizing on the potential for granting long-term (three- or five-year) visas in cases where this is provided for by the Schengen code.

(Need to check the Schengen code. Probably I am wrong but my guess is... another Greek Bullshit or they probably talking about: http://www.greecevac-ru.com/visafees.aspx family members . Check it....)

The goal of meeting the demand for visas was not simply a matter of the proper functioning of a service. It was a national goal and national need, at a time when the economy and the labour and manufacturing sectors are seeking even the smallest drop of liquidity.

The well-founded aspiration to increase tourist flows from Russia is already being realized. Every day, more Russian citizens – however many so desire – can visit Greece in comfort and security to enjoy their vacation and become acquainted with the land and people they love so much.”

The above is posted on the consulate site…

http://www.mfa.gr/russia/ru/the-embassy/news/the-consulate-general-in-moscow-is-in-position-to-issue-and-deliver-to-russian-tourists-more-visas-than-are-being-requested-moscow-31-may-2016.html

I am trying to find somebody at the FO in Greece, that I know to clarify the comments above about 3-5 years….

But sofar no luck.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
Found the same link, Wiz

It is suggested elsewhere that a Schengen holder in the last 3 years will get 'qualifying applicants' a visa for 3 years and in the last year, for five years ...

I cannot see how this reconciles with the Schengen code

In our case, I was only interested as we did Turkey - and a Greek Island - last year and I know that Cyprus allows Schengen visa holders in without a CY Visa

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »

If we Brexit I expect Greece will follow. But yes, on Schengen, I agree. It gives - if true - pretty much unlimited access to the Schengen for Russians.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
Found the same link, Wiz

It is suggested elsewhere that a Schengen holder in the last 3 years will get 'qualifying applicants' a visa for 3 years and in the last year, for five years ...

In our case, I was only interested as we did Turkey - and a Greek Island - last year and I know that Cyprus allows Schengen visa holders in without a CY Visa

EU Direktiv 265/2010 - all National visas are now Schengen visas as well for Schengen zone countries, that's been in EU law since 2010 (obvs). I only found out today after Andy's post above.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
Found the same link, Wiz

EU Direktiv 265/2010 - all National visas are now Schengen visas as well for Schengen zone countries, that's been in EU law since 2010 (obvs). I only found out today after Andy's post above.

I think that the non-elected gentry in the EU parliament may respond to this Greek plan negatively...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
Ste, my apologies for not linking the actual page upthread. It was my intention to do so.
No doubt Bing or Google's good offices sorted you out though.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
Ste, my apologies for not linking the actual page upthread. It was my intention to do so.
No doubt Bing or Google's good offices sorted you out though.

No prob! Nadia had a Work Permit for Germany 2005/6 and that was a Schengen visa too, she used it once when we met in Vienna one Christmas. Was the most boring place ever.

I knew then National Visas didn't carry any Schengen rights, but they are effectively just visit visas, her's was a proper Work Permit. I can imagine the new system causing a few issues but then again, they are just ordinary Schengen visas to the rest of the zone.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

If we Brexit I expect Greece will follow.
..and you gleaned the info to make such a daft assertion , where  ?

If you pay attention... The Greek PM has made it clear he does not want to leave the EU, nor does his former Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis... Levant politics aren't your bag, either, I see.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »

Sorry but you are on the wrong path. Greece for many years has been unofficially Bankrupt BUT our  partners in the EU kept the country going, with loans that are increasing geometrically the debt of the country, today amounts to 340 billion Euro. The latest law of 7000 pages voted by the Greek parliament accepts subjugation of the country for 99 years in the hope that the loans will eventually be paid, something nobody believes will ever happen. Basically the country is a German colony who has control of all the state assets, via the ESM a German outfits that controls everything.

So why Germany primarily together with the other members continue to loan Greece?

I am sure you get the picture.

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »

Sorry but you are on the wrong path. Greece for many years has been unofficially Bankrupt BUT our  partners in the EU kept the country going, with loans that are increasing geometrically the debt of the country, today amounts to 340 billion Euro. The latest law of 7000 pages voted by the Greek parliament accepts subjugation of the country for 99 years in the hope that the loans will eventually be paid, something nobody believes will ever happen. Basically the country is a German colony who has control of all the state assets, via the ESM a German outfits that controls everything.

So why Germany primarily together with the other members continue to loan Greece?

Makes sense now.

So how does the visa deal tie in with Germany's wishes?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 12:10:31 AM »

So, If we 'accept' your version of events - why is former Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis - who resigned - rather than accepting the latest bailout - fervently pro EU and telling Brits how silly it would be to vote to leave  ?...

Offline Wiz

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »

Makes sense now.

So how does the visa deal tie in with Germany's wishes?

The German state company FRAPORT has signed a 50 years lease of 14 Greek Airports, that include all the major tourist gates of arrivals for a mere 1.2 Billion Euro......, which as you may understand will recover in less than 3 years. They also running the Athens Airport and pay no taxes too and my guess is pretty soon they will take over all major hotels...... own the old state OTE large telephone company, soon will take over DEH, the national electricity company and the list is getting bigger by the day.

A couple of months ago they bought control of all Greek banks, for pennies, while the state lost 45 billion EURO, money from the  recapitalization of the Banks and the Banks of Greece is owned by the Rothschilds.

Basically what they have not managed to control by the invasion and guns on WWII they have achieved now financially!

If the Brits vote to stay in the EU and sign the TTIP then watch what the Neoliberal clan of Conservatives have been planning for the country, starting with the NHS and also housing!

Soon any labour laws in existence will be abolished and that is the aim of Boris and Gove.

Corby has sold out the Labour party for his leadership.....and I see no differences between the major two parties.

Our future look rosy!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »

So, If we 'accept' your version of events - why is former Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis - who resigned - rather than accepting the latest bailout - fervently pro EU and telling Brits how silly it would be to vote to leave  ?...

Yanis Varoufakis did not resign.... he was kicked out from the Government, according to the Greek Media.....Supporting the Syriza Government. His connection with George Soros is well known.... and Merkel needed a more serious personality to finish her financial occupation of Greece, so they choose Tsakalotos, a more amenable person and old communist to sign everything!

As you speak fluent Greek... suggest you read more closely the Greek Media.  :biggrin:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »

Yanis Varoufakis did not resign.... he was kicked out from the Government, according to the Greek Media.....Supporting the Syriza Government. His connection with George Soros is well known.... and Merkel needed a more serious personality to finish her financial occupation of Greece, so they choose Tsakalotos, a more amenable person and old communist to sign everything!

As you speak fluent Greek... suggest you read more closely the Greek Media.  :biggrin:

I don't need to speak fluent Greek, mon amou.

The dear chap speaks perfect English..

I can't believe I'm quoting the New Statesman to prove a point  :chuckle:

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2015/07/exclusive-yanis-varoufakis-opens-about-his-five-month-battle-save-greece

''By resigning and not signing a deal he abhorred, he has kept both his conscience free and his reputation intact. His country remains locked in a trap he spent years opposing and months fighting, but he has escaped.''

Offline Wiz

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »

As you speak fluent Greek... suggest you read more closely the Greek Media:biggrin:

I don't need to speak fluent Greek, mon amou.

The dear chap speaks perfect English..

I can't believe I'm quoting the New Statesman to prove a point  :chuckle:

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2015/07/exclusive-yanis-varoufakis-opens-about-his-five-month-battle-save-greece

''By resigning and not signing a deal he abhorred, he has kept both his conscience free and his reputation intact. His country remains locked in a trap he spent years opposing and months fighting, but he has escaped.''

Moby..... Have you lost your classes?

I Was talking about comments against Varoufakis... in the Greek Media and not in the New statesman! ...you cannot get out of it so easy and tell me a lot of Bullshit. As you don't speak Greek..... better ask somebody who does to explain to you the view about him on the Greek Media.

On the Other hand you are the biggest hypocrite.

When I was copying parts of various articles to support my writings..... you were screaming Copy and Paste.

Now that Caff post completely articles... not a dicky bird.

:GRRRR:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 01:45:49 AM »

Moby..... Have you lost your classes?

I Was talking about comments against Varoufakis... in the Greek Media and not in the New statesman! ...you cannot get out of it so easy and tell me a lot of Bullshit. As you don't speak Greek..... better ask somebody who does to explain to you the view about him on the Greek Media.

On the Other hand you are the biggest hypocrite.

When I was copying parts of various articles to support my writings..... you were screaming Copy and Paste.

Now that Caff post completely articles... not a dicky bird.

:GRRRR:

Wiz,

1/ copying and pasting - [quoting the source ] the words of the 'accused' to bust your notion is nothing like your plagiarising an article - suggesting it was your words ...

2/ The rumours are one thing - the guy makes a VERY strong case for suggesting he resigned on principle.  I don't share his viewpoints or politics, but I certainly prefer his version of events ....

The irony is that he backs up all you said about 'ze Germans'  :laugh:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »

While Wizz might get befuddled with details and the English language, He sees the big picture presently. But like America I am troubled that the individual citizens will neither realize or own up to there own responsibility to the problems.

It seems it is easier to blame a Central Bank, Germany, the FED or G. Soros.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Wiz

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 06:56:12 PM »
Wiz,

1/ copying and pasting - [quoting the source ] the words of the 'accused' to bust your notion is nothing like your plagiarising an article - suggesting it was your words ...

2/ The rumours are one thing - the guy makes a VERY strong case for suggesting he resigned on principle.  I don't share his viewpoints or politics, but I certainly prefer his version of events ....

The irony is that he backs up all you said about 'ze Germans'  :laugh:

Moby

Just for your info “Yanis Varoufakis” in Greece, is called “Baroudakis” and “Baroufa” means Bullshit!

I have noticed Baroufakis, a self publicist, since 2010-11 when the movement of the indignant started in the Syntagma Suare. I have seen countless interviews of his and also public debates in the Square where he was shown up to be ignorant of economical analysis by many other economists. After he admitted publicly his plan, to hack all the tax records and numbers to put into operation a parallel currency, like the IOU of California and the American’s know what happened there, he had to depart from Greece! BTW it was the “Brooking institute” that Introduced him to Tsipras and if you don’t know what is this institute…. Ask the Americans. G. Soros has nothing to do with them……  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let me tell you something Mr Know all….. You have no idea or knowledge about the political establishment in Greece and who is running the show behind the scenes. It is not Tsipras, Baroufakis or Tsakalotos, the clowns and liars but “Yannis Dragasakis” an old communist who is not making public statements or appearances.

RUA is not the place to debate the Greek situation and crisis. I can assure you I am fully aware who planned, organised and is executing the “Economical assassination” of Greece. You simply have not a clue…..as you have never lived in Greece.

Stick to your usual trolling and bull and don't bore everybody here with your superior knowledge of my birth country. :sick0012:

Offline Wiz

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 07:21:01 PM »

While Wizz might get befuddled with details and the English language, He sees the big picture presently. But like America I am troubled that the individual citizens will neither realize or own up to there own responsibility to the problems.

It seems it is easier to blame a Central Bank, Germany, the FED or G. Soros.

I bow to your superior clarity of thought, excellent knowledge of the English language and also you understanding of the psychology of the masses.

But then you go on and dispute all your previous comments with the last paragraph.   :ROFL: