The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Visa three and five years for Russian tourists by Greece  (Read 980 times)

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Visa three and five years for Russian tourists by Greece
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

Greece will exhaust every possibility to accommodate the wave of Russian tourists, and from now on will issue visas three and five years for those Russian citizens are entitled, assured the head of the Federal Tourism Agency of Russia Oleg Safanof the Greek Deputy Foreign Minister Nikos Xidakis. Indicative of this change is that in May the Greek consular authorities in Russia, issued, according to Mr. Xidakis, 90,000 visas, much more than the same month last year.

During the meeting Mr. Xidakis with Mr. Safanof in Moscow, announced the Foreign Ministry confirmed that both sides will have full cooperation by both sides in the tourism sector and the Russian tourism, was agreed, to be supported by Greece. Also, the two sides agreed to cooperate on communication and information matters to the public, with joint press conferences for the fullest possible information of Russian citizens.

In this light, Mr. Xidakis stressed the full aid to the project by the Greek consular authorities and gave a commitment that will continue even more intensively in the same direction until the end of summer. At  the time the Russian citizen submit the application and supporting documents, the visa will be issued as soon as possible in order not to exceed seven working days, stated Deputy Foreign Minister and added that any increase of tourist traffic from a people who love Greece and its culture it’s profit for the country and the national economy.

After the meeting and completing his three-day visit to the Russian capital, Mr. Xidakis met with Russian media, and Greek correspondents informing about the findings of the trip and reiterated the intention of the Greek government to continue working systematically to the Greek-Russian cooperation to bring the best results for both sides.

Source: http://www.makeleio.gr/?p=631360
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online msmoby

Re: Visa three and five years for Russian tourists by Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »

Greece will exhaust every possibility to accommodate the wave of Russian tourists, and from now on will issue visas three and five years for those Russian citizens are entitled

After the meeting and completing his three-day visit to the Russian capital, Mr. Xidakis met with Russian media, and Greek correspondents informing about the findings of the trip and reiterated the intention of the Greek government to continue working systematically to the Greek-Russian cooperation to bring the best results for both sides.

Source: http://www.makeleio.gr/?p=631360

What are the criteria for 'entitlement'  ?

As Greece is currently a Schengen member - I'm presuming these visas Schengen ones  ? I ask as many schengen visa requiring nationals - example Belarus / Russia - have probs getting long-term visas - often having to pay for new ones for every trip... A friend recently got  Schengen for the duration [ only ] of his trip to visit family in Germany

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:10:50 AM »
As I have found in the past, the criteria for issuing Schengen visas varies from country to country and over time and so what may be true of an application to Greece, at this time, will not be applicable to a person seeking a visa for Germany.

We should also remember that the visa should be applied for to the state that is the principal destination of the intended visit - thus a bloke wishing to go to Germany should not apply to Greece. He might get away with it on a land journey with Greece as the first stop but much less likely if he flies to Germany from Russia, or even flies to Greece and onward to Germany.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Fair play to the Greeks.. :thumbsup:

Online Ste

• Lol!
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:11:26 AM »
I suspect these are national visas not Schengen ones.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 03:05:21 AM »
I suspect these are national visas not Schengen ones.

Whilst I don't have the Greek visa page to hand I looked at the Lithuanian one, which I do.

I am guessing that, as a part of both the EU and Schengen that the Greek and Lithuanian situation will be the same.

Thus, any visa granted as a 'national' visa has the following benefit:
Aliens who own valid national visas (D) may travel to territories of other Schengen states for a period up to 90 days within any 180-day period.

What this means is that a 'national' visa is automatically a Schengen visa with the limitations and benefits that apply to that form. That has always been my understanding. So, if one is applying for a Schengen visa it is only ever valid for 90 days in 180. If one applies for a long term visa for any one Schengen area country then it also gives Schengen area travel for 90 from 180 days as well.

So, the visas being issued by Greece will be Schengen visas within the terms of the Schengen agreements. However, we should remember that this does not give free access to the rest of Europe. As noted above, the visa is for the primary destination, Greece. If the primary destination is not Greece then travelers can not rely upon the document for travel to other countries. It'd not be much good for a traveler transiting Greece en route to, for example, Spain.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
The Consulate General in Moscow is in a position to issue and deliver to Russian tourists more visas than are being requested (Moscow, 31 May 2016)

Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Alternate Foreign Minister Nikos Xydakis today chaired a consular meeting at the our embassy in Moscow, with the participation of the Greek Ambassador and Consuls General in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Novorossiysk. At the meetings conclusion, he stated the following:

“I am here today to make sure that we have resolved the problems faced by our Moscow Consulate in issuing visas. It wasn’t simple. I was informed of the increased needs in December. Unprecedented action needed to be taken. A plan was made and systematically implemented, bringing results. In the space of 120 days, organizational and technical improvements were carried out; improvements that should have been started two years earlier. And we haven’t finished yet. There are other steps that will be taken, so that we can handle similar issues in the future.  (Typical Greek bull. It was about time they moved their arsses and modernise the system)

Today, the Consulate is in a position to issue and deliver, on a daily basis, more visas to Russian tourists than are being requested. And continuing to bolster the Consulate, we will endeavour to make this the case through to the end of the summer. This May, our three consular missions in Russia issued over 85,000 visas, for a 50% increase over the same month last year.

Moreover, on the occasion of “Greece Russia Year 2016,” and bearing in mind what is by general admission the excellent use of these visas by Russian citizens, we are capitalizing on the potential for granting long-term (three- or five-year) visas in cases where this is provided for by the Schengen code.

(Need to check the Schengen code. Probably I am wrong but my guess is... another Greek Bullshit or they probably talking about: http://www.greecevac-ru.com/visafees.aspx family members . Check it....)

The goal of meeting the demand for visas was not simply a matter of the proper functioning of a service. It was a national goal and national need, at a time when the economy and the labour and manufacturing sectors are seeking even the smallest drop of liquidity.

The well-founded aspiration to increase tourist flows from Russia is already being realized. Every day, more Russian citizens – however many so desire – can visit Greece in comfort and security to enjoy their vacation and become acquainted with the land and people they love so much.”

The above is posted on the consulate site…

http://www.mfa.gr/russia/ru/the-embassy/news/the-consulate-general-in-moscow-is-in-position-to-issue-and-deliver-to-russian-tourists-more-visas-than-are-being-requested-moscow-31-may-2016.html

I am trying to find somebody at the FO in Greece, that I know to clarify the comments above about 3-5 years….

But sofar no luck.
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online msmoby

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
Found the same link, Wiz

It is suggested elsewhere that a Schengen holder in the last 3 years will get 'qualifying applicants' a visa for 3 years and in the last year, for five years ...

I cannot see how this reconciles with the Schengen code

In our case, I was only interested as we did Turkey - and a Greek Island - last year and I know that Cyprus allows Schengen visa holders in without a CY Visa

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »

If we Brexit I expect Greece will follow. But yes, on Schengen, I agree. It gives - if true - pretty much unlimited access to the Schengen for Russians.

Online Ste

• Lol!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
Found the same link, Wiz

It is suggested elsewhere that a Schengen holder in the last 3 years will get 'qualifying applicants' a visa for 3 years and in the last year, for five years ...

In our case, I was only interested as we did Turkey - and a Greek Island - last year and I know that Cyprus allows Schengen visa holders in without a CY Visa

EU Direktiv 265/2010 - all National visas are now Schengen visas as well for Schengen zone countries, that's been in EU law since 2010 (obvs). I only found out today after Andy's post above.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
Found the same link, Wiz

EU Direktiv 265/2010 - all National visas are now Schengen visas as well for Schengen zone countries, that's been in EU law since 2010 (obvs). I only found out today after Andy's post above.

I think that the non-elected gentry in the EU parliament may respond to this Greek plan negatively...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
Ste, my apologies for not linking the actual page upthread. It was my intention to do so.
No doubt Bing or Google's good offices sorted you out though.

Online Ste

• Lol!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
Ste, my apologies for not linking the actual page upthread. It was my intention to do so.
No doubt Bing or Google's good offices sorted you out though.

No prob! Nadia had a Work Permit for Germany 2005/6 and that was a Schengen visa too, she used it once when we met in Vienna one Christmas. Was the most boring place ever.

I knew then National Visas didn't carry any Schengen rights, but they are effectively just visit visas, her's was a proper Work Permit. I can imagine the new system causing a few issues but then again, they are just ordinary Schengen visas to the rest of the zone.

Online msmoby

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

If we Brexit I expect Greece will follow.
..and you gleaned the info to make such a daft assertion , where  ?

If you pay attention... The Greek PM has made it clear he does not want to leave the EU, nor does his former Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis... Levant politics aren't your bag, either, I see.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »

If we Brexit I expect Greece will follow.

Sorry but you are on the wrong path. Greece for many years has been unofficially Bankrupt BUT our  partners in the EU kept the country going, with loans that are increasing geometrically the debt of the country, today amounts to 340 billion Euro. The latest law of 7000 pages voted by the Greek parliament accepts subjugation of the country for 99 years in the hope that the loans will eventually be paid, something nobody believes will ever happen. Basically the country is a German colony who has control of all the state assets, via the ESM a German outfits that controls everything.

So why Germany primarily together with the other members continue to loan Greece?

I am sure you get the picture.