The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moscow's Fourth International Airport Opens.  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Moscow's Fourth International Airport Opens.
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
Moscow's Fourth International Airport Opens Despite Downturn

Can handle 4 million passangers per year which can rise to 12 million after upgrades

http://russia-insider.com/en/fourth-moscow-international-airport-opened/ri14689
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Moscow's Fourth International Airport Opens.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:28 AM »
I read an article on, I think, Moscow Times, in which a bloke who lives in Moscow claims that he had no idea that the city was big enough to support 4 international airports and that he had not even heard of its development.

With 17 million people in the Moscow area and 12 million in the city itself it is Europe's biggest city, much larger than London, the second largest with under 9 million. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that they have, or need, 4 international airports.

(and no, I don't count Istanbul as a European city!)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »
I read an article on, I think, Moscow Times, in which a bloke who lives in Moscow claims that he had no idea that the city was big enough to support 4 international airports and that he had not even heard of its development.

With 17 million people in the Moscow area and 12 million in the city itself it is Europe's biggest city, much larger than London, the second largest with under 9 million. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that they have, or need, 4 international airports.

Funny really, Moscow seems much smaller than London to me, in terms of city centre, shopping, stuff to see etc, but then semantically you could argue that London's population is only around 7,000, the Square Mile and all that. Hard to gauge where the real lines are drawn. I'd imagine the conurbation of the conjoined populous around the square mile to be much larger, haven't googled but I'll warrant it's well over 20 million, thinking Watford etc, not part of London per se but 'joined on'.

Surprised to see Berlin 5th or 6th largest or something, spent a lot of time there always seemed a bit of Leeds/Bradford, Manchester/Salford thing, twin cities, East/West, but still quite small...

Also I can say the largest city in the UK is Carlisle (cos I lived there) - in terms of it's actual square mileage of it's boundaries. Semantics again, the largest football ground in the UK is Barnsley FC, because they own all the land around it so in terms of area it's the biggest.

Top bants!

Edit: Googled, totally wrong about London 25mil, and a mate (Barnsley FC fan) tells me his club sold much of their land so wrong again. Bidding on the Carlisle ticket for glory tho - remains as yet un-googled....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »

One should consider that Moscow is the connection hub for the majority of International flights in/out of Russia.
There are many cities which, apart from where some seasonal tourist destinations start, one can only transit into the international routes via a Moscow connection.
Of course, there are cities which have flights into other hubs, but the majority, certainly those west of the Urals, and away from the southern coast, who really can only use Moscow without creating multi change flights through other destinations..
There are many airports in Russia which are not allowed to start/end international flights.. (Except for tourist packages)
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »

Funny really, Moscow seems much smaller than London to me, in terms of city centre, shopping, stuff to see etc, but then semantically you could argue that London's population is only around 7,000, the Square Mile and all that. Hard to gauge where the real lines are drawn. I'd imagine the conurbation of the conjoined populous around the square mile to be much larger, haven't googled but I'll warrant it's well over 20 million, thinking Watford etc, not part of London per se but 'joined on'.

Surprised to see Berlin 5th or 6th largest or something, spent a lot of time there always seemed a bit of Leeds/Bradford, Manchester/Salford thing, twin cities, East/West, but still quite small...

Also I can say the largest city in the UK is Carlisle (cos I lived there) - in terms of it's actual square mileage of it's boundaries. Semantics again, the largest football ground in the UK is Barnsley FC, because they own all the land around it so in terms of area it's the biggest.

Top bants!

Edit: Googled, totally wrong about London 25mil, and a mate (Barnsley FC fan) tells me his club sold much of their land so wrong again. Bidding on the Carlisle ticket for glory tho - remains as yet un-googled....

Have you been up the old East Berlin - Fernsehturm de Berlín Ste? if not well worth a visit next time you are there, when looking out over the city it seems to spread out for miles around, but the same could certainly be said of many other great cities if you had the chance to take a birds eye view. Berlin  though only has a small population, so although a large city in  terms of area, small in terms of population, as far as I can recall ca.3.5 mill, or so one of the helpful taxi drivers told me last time I was there and when I asked how come the traffic seems to keep moving so well.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
Yes mate, been in the revolving restaurant up there, weird going for a burst and then not being able to find your table! Fastest lifts in Europe too I believe.

You can (or could) see the planes taking off at landing at Tegel assuming your window was pointing the right way...

When I was there the BBC had this report on how Berlin was the most congested in terms of traffic city in Europe, we walked around during rush hours and it was just fine, Manchester and even Leeds far worse at the time (2006).

'Welt Uhr' just around the corner (boring) lots of beggars in Alexanderplatz S-Bahn station, with some of the weakest sob stories I ever heard, specially practiced in the language of the target...

Love Berlin.....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:42:21 PM »
Yes mate, been in the revolving restaurant up there, weird going for a burst and then not being able to find your table! Fastest lifts in Europe too I believe.

You can (or could) see the planes taking off at landing at Tegel assuming your window was pointing the right way...

When I was there the BBC had this report on how Berlin was the most congested in terms of traffic city in Europe, we walked around during rush hours and it was just fine, Manchester and even Leeds far worse at the time (2006).

'Welt Uhr' just around the corner (boring) lots of beggars in Alexanderplatz S-Bahn station, with some of the weakest sob stories I ever heard, specially practiced in the language of the target...

Love Berlin.....

Beautiful city..
Pity about the new airport though..  :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »

Love Berlin.....

The lifts are fast, but not as fast as Panoramapunkt, now that is fast. Great views from the top of this building also of Potsdamer Platz etc. Not as high as the tower, but the lift is like going up in a rocket.

Don't see how they get that it's very conjested, have they been to a few UK cities,  :ROFL: everytime I have been there the traffic has been moving pretty good.
Слава Україні