The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Interesting video from a bloke living in Sochi - Russia  (Read 5426 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Interesting video from a bloke living in Sochi - Russia
« on: May 30, 2016, 01:11:51 AM »
Came across an interesting video from a bloke who seems to like Russia a lot. He works part time in a commercial school teaching English. Here he tells us about his life in Sochi, Russia:

His attitudes seem quite different to one of our regular posters who sometimes spends a little time there.

Here he is doing a video review of some place he stayed at in Sochi:

Might it be worth reaching out to him for his insights into life in Russia today? ;)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Interesting video from a bloke living in Sochi - Russia
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:35:21 AM »

Seems like a likable enough fellow.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »
Apart from the Timmy Mallet specs!

Is it...?

..no it couldn't be!

Timmy is busy working in the UK. But there is a resemblance!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 04:39:39 AM »

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »
Came across an interesting video from a bloke who seems to like Russia a lot. He works part time in a commercial school teaching English. Here he tells us about his life in Sochi, Russia:

His attitudes seem quite different to one of our regular posters who sometimes spends a little time there.

Here he is doing a video review of some place he stayed at in Sochi:

Might it be worth reaching out to him for his insights into life in Russia today? ;)

A pink shirt ffs... :ROFL:
Only pufta's wear a pink shirt.. :laugh:
would not surprise me if he also wears blue brogues. :coffeeread:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »
Hope he doesn't give up his day job to pursue making videos for a living.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »

What makes you think that he has a day job??

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »

Well, apparently he only teaches English at that school in his spare time so he must have another occupation. But maybe he spends time with his wife?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 12:58:23 AM »

:ROFL:  :ROFL:  :ROFL:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:48:34 AM »

Well, apparently he only teaches English at that school in his spare time so he must have another occupation. But maybe he spends time with his wife?

His current wife or wife to be?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:38 AM »
Moby posted many times, that he is a pensioner living off his savings in retirement.

Considering his lifestyle, his pension is not going to last the rest of his life,
or he is doing very well financially. More than the members give him credit for.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:00 AM »
Moby posted many times, that he is a pensioner living off his savings in retirement.

Considering his lifestyle, his pension is not going to last the rest of his life,
or he is doing very well financially. More than the members give him credit for.

I would suggest that he is not yet of UK pensionable age.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 03:19:26 AM »

His current wife or wife to be?

We don't know the details of anything. If he is going through a divorce and wants to remarry and found someone then in my opinion that is great. Divorce is painful but much less so if you have someone by your side.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 03:33:08 AM »
A pink shirt ffs... :ROFL:
Only pufta's wear a pink shirt.. :laugh:
would not surprise me if he also wears blue brogues. :coffeeread:

His woman is a testament that this is untrue. You all say he is as poor as a church mouse. Do you really think he would go through all the time and expense for a beard just to counter you guys? Come on. His blood is as red as any of ours. Besides 'Dexter' always wore pink shirts and he was a complete hetro. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 03:39:37 AM »
Why do you mention moby?

This is a bloke called Mark Smyth who lives in Sochi with his wife  and who, among other activities, teaches English at a private school.

That's not moby - different bloke. Moby is not so daft as to go round telling the world of his illegal activities - he prefers secrecy for those.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 03:40:56 AM »
OMG,

Gypo is now passing himself off as a 'fasionista' with advice re my pink shirt  :ROFL:

The missus seems rather fond of pink ..

My glasses  ? They are certainly 'marmite' - even SC would love me to ditch 'em... but then they are easy to find..

This contributor is entirely comfortable about how he dresses and the legality of his actions.

I can confirm that I have NO teaching qualifications - so I leave the dear reader to decide the veracity of the latest andrewfi 'investigation' [ fascination   :sick0012: ] concerning my lifestyle

The 'clue' into my actual 'activity'  has more to do with Danchik's observation that even good Russian speakers of English are a little shy and shyness it NOT an issue I suffer from .... Ex-pats - speaking English as their first language -  are regularly invited to question and answer sessions.

I am pretty sure the students get as much pleasure as I do ...  I met the marketing manger of Sochi Autodrom and Boris - who introduced me to the folk at the Yacht Club and Yacht Russia Racing academy via being a guest of  the English club and my leaving do was held at .... an English School - where SC is having lessons ...

My aim was to meet people and the more observant poster will have observed the results.

Carry on  :chuckle:

PS Gypo .. No blue Brogues... Brogues are a fav of mine... I do have a salmon pair.. I DO have a pair of blue suede shoes, though...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 03:50:38 AM »
Why do you mention moby?

This is a bloke called Mark Smyth who lives in Sochi with his wife  and who, among other activities, teaches English at a private school.

That's not moby - different bloke. Moby is not so daft as to go round telling the world of his illegal activities - he prefers secrecy for those.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 04:08:02 AM »
Why do you mention moby?

Nothing illegal here. If you pay careful attention to his videos he says he is in Sochi for his "beloved" that he "hopes to marry someday." @  0:55-1:03     Asked about his activities in Sochi he says he was asked to attend the G8 school on English language. There no mention of this as a job. As you might know volunteer activities for no financial renumeration are often offered to expats. It gives them something interesting to do. 

Perhaps Andrew buddy, you suffer the same condition Shakespear suffers with Trump, only with Moby/Smith? The Captain Ahab in you that has been unable to harpoon your Moby?  ;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 04:18:00 AM »
Is this moby?

I thought it was a bloke called Mark Smyth.

Maxx, you are factually incorrect. If Mark Smyth is in Russia on a normal visa (tourist, business, student for example) then he can not work at all, paid or unpaid, without dispensation from the authorities.

The situation is the same in the USA. One can not do voluntary work there without having a work visa. INFO HERE!
I am sure that, as in the USA, a blind eye is often turned for genuine voluntary work done for a charitable organisation. I doubt that doing what Mark Smyth does would fly either in the USA or Russia given that the company he works for is NOT a charitable organisation - they pay their teachers a wage for their work. I have no way to know for sure but I'd be very surprised if Mark was not getting under the table payments.
Why do I think this?
Because the other staff get paid for their work
Every hour that Mark works for 'free' is an hour that another paid, professional teacher can not get paid. Mark working for 'free' would upset the other staff in the business in short order because he would be doing for free that for which they should be getting paid.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 04:39:37 AM »
I don't know if it is normal in Russia, but in Crimea "voluntary" work is frowned upon, because it steals jobs (in their opinion).

If people in Crimea find out you're working without getting paid, you are shunned socially equally as being found out a thief.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Maxx

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 04:45:10 AM »
We don't know he is getting money under the table. Frankly it is pretty sad state of affairs if someone can't volunteer their time to help others. If you watch the video it is clear he enjoys helping others. My upbringing was with the Scriptures so that is how I think. This reminds me of the Pharisees criticizing Christ because he healed the sick on the Sabbath. His reply to them was, "Who of you wouldn't pull your sheep out of a pit on the Sabbath?" Forgetting the Biblical and Christ reference, does it make sense to follow some suffocating rules that hinder and cause harm to others and us?

Offline Maxx

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:00 AM »
I don't know if it is normal in Russia, but in Crimea "voluntary" work is frowned upon, because it steals jobs (in their opinion).

If people in Crimea find out you're working without getting paid, you are shunned socially equally as being found out a thief.

Like crabs in a bucket. I have been hearing this for years. Bureaucracy is the real thief to the Crimeans as it is to everyone.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 05:03:45 AM »
Is this moby?

I thought it was a bloke called Mark Smyth.

Maxx, you are factually incorrect. If Mark Smyth is in Russia on a normal visa (tourist, business, student for example) then he can not work at all, paid or unpaid, without dispensation from the authorities.

The situation is the same in the USA. One can not do voluntary work there without having a work visa. INFO HERE!
I am sure that, as in the USA, a blind eye is often turned for genuine voluntary work done for a charitable organisation. I doubt that doing what Mark Smyth does would fly either in the USA or Russia given that the company he works for is NOT a charitable organisation - they pay their teachers a wage for their work. I have no way to know for sure but I'd be very surprised if Mark was not getting under the table payments.
Why do I think this?
Because the other staff get paid for their work
Every hour that Mark works for 'free' is an hour that another paid, professional teacher can not get paid. Mark working for 'free' would upset the other staff in the business in short order because he would be doing for free that for which they should be getting paid.

Sometimes difficult to quantify what 'work' is.

For example at current clientco, a major World IT Company's retail arm, we have folks coming in from USA and folks going out there on VWP both ways, and doing 'work'.

Now I know training (giving and receiving), meetings and presentations etc all allowed on VWP (and tourist visa, there is no UK Business visa anymore). And I know one guy in my industry been working in SoCal from UK just on VWP, for at least the last three years, and he's REALLY high up!

No idea about Russia obvs but is training allowed on tourist/business visa? You could then argue Moby was training people in English. that's point-stretching in extremis though....

What you can't do is get paid for it though, even if it was tolerated, so the point is moot. 
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
Is this moby?

I have no way to know for sure but I'd be very surprised if Mark was not getting under the table payments.
Why do I think this?

You think this because you are a crook.
Would you, please, stop counting money in his pocket??

Every hour that Mark works for 'free' is an hour that another paid,

You also should not volunteer to hold a candle in his bedroom.
There is a danger that Mark would pay you a good price for that....