The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Quality resorts and beaches along the Black Sea  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Quality resorts and beaches along the Black Sea
« on: May 21, 2016, 01:46:45 AM »

Anappa is classed as the most popular resort not Sochi, as I have said to you before, the knowledgeable Russian seasoned holiday makers avoid Sochi like the plague due to its cost, and bad service, and of course its rocky beaches.  IF as you say, bookings are up there by 40%, 40% of very little is not much at all.
That you partner chose to live there is no big recommendation I'm afraid.

I hadn't heard of Anapa before so I googled it. It sounds like a good place to visit. I wasn't aware that the Black sea had sandy beaches. I know the beaches of Odessa, Sochi and Batumi Georgia are all stones. Actually I have never seen the Black Sea. I am looking forward to it.

Offline Maxx

Re: Quality resorts and beaches along the Black Sea
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:40 AM »

Anappa is classed as the most popular resort not Sochi, as I have said to you before, the knowledgeable Russian seasoned holiday makers avoid Sochi like the plague due to its cost, and bad service, and of course its rocky beaches.  IF as you say, bookings are up there by 40%, 40% of very little is not much at all.

I hadn't heard of Anapa before so I googled it. It sounds like a good place to visit. I wasn't aware that the Black sea had sandy beaches. I know the beaches of Odessa, Sochi and Batumi Georgia are all stones. Actually I have never seen the Black Sea. I am looking forward to it.

A little Googling and I see how mistaken I was. There are vast sandy beaches in Bulgaria and Romania and in Georgia I read has them in Ureki, Shekvetili & Grigoleti although I haven't confirmed this.

Just did

Shekvetili beach

Magnetic sands of Grigoleti

Ureki beach. Those cows wandering about in the wrong places are every where here.

Compared to Bulgaria Georgian beaches are.... I don't even want to say it.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 02:11:22 AM »

Most of the northern Black sea holiday spots have sand beaches.
Anapa is a lovely place to visit for a holiday, it has miles of soft sandy beaches, its about the same size as Sochi.
Geldenzhik also.
There are other smaller places with sandy beaches.
Then there is Crimea of course..

HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Maxx

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:21:15 AM »

Most of the northern Black sea holiday spots have sand beaches.
Anapa is a lovely place to visit for a holiday, it has miles of soft sandy beaches, its about the same size as Sochi.
Geldenzhik also.
There are other smaller places with sandy beaches.
Then there is Crimea of course..

HTH

We should have Manny separate this topic and have it about quality resorts and beaches along the Black Sea.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 02:44:27 AM »
We should have Manny separate this topic and have it about quality resorts and beaches along the Black Sea.

:coffeeread:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 02:46:24 AM »
My Dear Maxx,

You must have missed all those snaps I posted made in Evpatoria. Famous for its sandy beaches without "rocks" or other artifacts under or above-water.

You just can't swim too far into the sea, because of water-recreation like dragons, jetski etc. roaming the waters.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 03:03:11 AM »

One should also not forget the Sea of Azov, Temruk, yetsk, tarangong, (Ive probably spelt them wrong) they all have sandy beaches, but are not as popular even though the sea is cleaner, not as salty, and shallows' for quiet a way out.

All of them though, are excellent places for parents with children, for wind surfing/Kite surfing/sailing along with other water sports.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Maxx

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 03:34:38 AM »

:coffeeread:

Thanks Manny!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 03:48:59 AM »
A couple of pictures of sandy beaches of the Sea of Azov..

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

ila_rendered

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:10:59 AM »
Evpatorias sandy beaches are fun, if you have a sandcastle to build

This can also be the 'before' picture in the loosing-weight thread  :ROFL:

OO===[][]===OO

Offline Maxx

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »

Nice pictures Mark and Gypsy! I have read on profiles of Ukrainian women mentioning swimming in the sea and I had always envisioned them wearing sandals with thick soles to protect against all the rocks.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »

What city or cities are those photos from?  Thanks.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »

Nice pictures Mark and Gypsy! I have read on profiles of Ukrainian women mentioning swimming in the sea and I had always envisioned them wearing sandals with thick soles to protect against all the rocks.

The photos of the beach I put up, are on the sea of Azov, and well into the woolly wilds, no crowds of tourists, super wind surfing, plenty of space for shashlik grilling and of course a few beers.

Also very good fishing, plenty of sea bass, and they taste v good..

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »

Not near any large town/city, its well into the wilds..

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »

There must be some sort of city at a distance, which you walked from to get there?  I'm assuming it's in Russia and not in Ukraine, although the Sea of Azov could be on Ukraine as well.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »

There must be some sort of city at a distance, which you walked from to get there?  I'm assuming it's in Russia and not in Ukraine, although the Sea of Azov could be on Ukraine as well.

Its Russia, and its along the southern coast of the sea, about 40km from Azov city.
e have a car and we drove, it would be a long walk.. :chuckle:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »

Gypo - I have NO idea where you pull such 'stats' from - remember I proved how inaccurate you were about occupancy of hotels in Crimea and Sochi - very easily - using booking.com

Sochi is by FAR  the most popular resort - by booking numbers - and has skiing, F1 , conferences to make it a more year round resort.

Anapa has a beautiful beach - far nicer than most in Sochi - on that we CAN agree ... Right now, there are lorries on many beaches in Sochi - dumping stones and sand - to replace that lost by erosion and storms.

Crimea has lovely beaches - with great backdrops - but it is a HECK of a lot colder - Sochi enjoys a micro-climate.

Climate was the reason for SC choosing Sochi ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 03:29:10 AM »
Crimea has lovely beaches - with great backdrops - but it is a HECK of a lot colder - Sochi enjoys a micro-climate.
Considering that Evpatoria hits 35C/95F+ easily and 40C/104F+ most days on July/August, I doubt I would ever want to visit Sochi then.
Being baked slowly is not my idea of a good holiday.
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 03:33:35 AM »
Considering that Evpatoria hits 35C/95F+ easily and 40C/104F+ most days on July/August, I doubt I would ever want to visit Sochi then.

Right, so I fact-checked this:
https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/modelclimate/yevpatoria-airport_ukraine_8533069

http://www2m.biglobe.ne.jp/ZenTech/English/Climate/Russia/Sochi.htm

Sochi, Krasnodar Krai, Southern Federal District Temperature & Precipitation Monthly Averages
Month            Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun   Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec
Average High  (°C)   8   9   11   15   18   23   25   25   23   18   14   10
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 03:52:19 AM »

Gypo - I have NO idea where you pull such 'stats' from - remember I proved how inaccurate you were about occupancy of hotels in Crimea and Sochi - very easily - using booking.com

You showed Booking com, Yalta for the last w/e of July, which had, from over 1,000 hotels with 6+ rooms, where in the majority of cases 1 or 2 rooms only were available, but the majority having 0 availability (I looked of course), restricted choice really.

Sochi is by FAR  the most popular resort - by booking numbers - and has skiing, F1 , conferences to make it a more year round resort.

We will have to agree to disagree about Sochi's popularity then won't we.
Skiing in winter only, F1 for 1 w/e a year, conferences as and when, but not all the time.
Agree that Sochi is the most all year round resort, but let's wait and see how Crimea progresses..

Anapa has a beautiful beach - far nicer than most in Sochi - on that we CAN agree ... Right now, there are lorries on many beaches in Sochi - dumping stones and sand - to replace that lost by erosion and storms.

Not so, the majority of resorts around the black sea/ sea of azov are normally not more than a couple of degrees different +/- to Sochi.

Climate was the reason for SC choosing Sochi ..

NO comment. :coffeeread:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 03:53:40 AM »

I referred to year round climate... having sun IS a requirement for madame  :chuckle:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 04:26:55 AM »
Markje, Gypo

1 /If you care to compare the sea temps Sochi is always warmer -

http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ukraine/yevpatoriya.htm
http://www.seatemperature.org/asia/russia/sochi.htm

2/ Crimea is a lot more than a couple of degrees cooler in winter, and hotter in the summer - when it gets too hot in Crimea - welcome to Sochi which will be a few degrees cooler. :chuckle:

3/ I suggest you try any hotel search engine - I'll find you availability in Crimea that you 'can't' .. Then there's the quality .. does Crimea have hotels that ask 1000 quid a night  ? ..Or anywhere near it .. ? - Not bad for a 'sh1thole' ..

http://www.roomguru.ru/

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 04:53:51 AM »
Not so, the majority of resorts around the black sea/ sea of azov are normally not more than a couple of degrees different +/- to Sochi.

The biggest difference I see between Crimea/Sochi according to pictures is the Humidity.

Therefore maybe Sochi feels warmer to the skin, the higher water presence in the air makes that.

Sochi is more a sub-tropical wet kind of climate,

Crimea is cut/n/dry , more like a semi-arid climate.
OO===[][]===OO