The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Life in Sochi - in early summer  (Read 3239 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Life in Sochi - in early summer
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »
After May 9th's Victory Parade and yacht racing, what other delights awaited ?

Can you imagine - picking Tea ?  Sochi's south facing slopes have the northern most tea plantations and I was invited to get up v.early to pick tea.

This was an abandoned plantation - the land is up for sale - not sold - and the ferns will soon out grow the tea bushes.

A 35 minutes drive north - past The President's Summer Residence and turn right, inland - up into the foot hills of the Caucasus Mountains .

The technique - apparently - is to  pick only the top two/ three leaves - below the split.

Olga and Andrei picked far more tea, than I - I filmed the view and took in the sound of cuckoos, sheep, baying horses, and interspersed silence.

The video pans from Dagomys - the Black Sea resort - southwards , then east to the Caucasus Mountains

Andrei dries the tea leaves overnight in a drier and next day - I had my very own tea to take by to the UK.

Some time ago, I was interviewed on the local news by Rossiya - one of the state channels..it was about international language day... I was filmed at a local school where I've been a guest native speaker.

That day had long passed - I thought my 15 minutes of fame had gone...then the phone started ringing on Monday evening..''Sveta, your Mark is on our TV news..''

I was now part of an article on 'foreigners who live in Sochi' and appeared in the headlines and for a few seconds - the part when I say I am impressed that the streets are kept clean :chuckle:
Not a valid youtube URL
58 seconds and 9 mins 2 secs

On Monday, I booked my flight back - normally I like to go via Istanbul - much more direct - but this flight has gone from 2 times a day - to two times a week - I picked up a one way for 140 quid - with 3Okg luggage allowance, a decent meal - with proper knives and forks AND a decent plane - on the Heathrow leg -with USB charging for the phone and in-flight movies. Turkish are doing one-ways for 50 USD to London, from Istanbul  :chuckle:

After an hour or so scanning the best deals on Kayak or Skyscanner and booking, I  headed to the beach - to find Adonis personified - a long haired, tanned, micro-g-string swimming trunks - guy - lying next to SC and her mates... I felt OLD and 'FAT' ... and approached with a friendly smile. Turns out he was a stripper from Volgograd and was on  a weeks break. He was offering 'professional massages' ... handing out his business card - but made his excuses when I arrived. Russian men are direct in their approaches - they put their towels right next to ladies they are interested in - I could never chat a lady up on a beach ... :chuckle:

When 5 o'clock came, it was announced we were going to a beer festival in a local hotel - 100 Roubles entry fee and 50 Roubles per half litre...sounded too good to be true.

We arrived close to closing time - so no-one took our 100 Roubles and Beer was flowing - literally freely. Luda, a lady from Belarus - told each and every one of the stands that I was 'in' Beer - an important business guest from Ireland - Luda can blag - and I was offered all sorts of delights - many of which I declined - as one beer was 24 percent and I could swiftly feel it's effects.

I promised to return the next day - and I did. Ekaterina - wanted to practice her English and saw I was rebuffing models in short shorts and boob tube tops and high heels - stating, ''I cannot speak Russian'' - as they tried to entice me to their stand.

Ekaterina was wearing a tight -fitting evening dress and I was lead like the prize bull to her stand - where I was plied with the beers and snacks they make. Remember this is 10.30 am and I get drunk on 2 pints, so I discreetly didn't finish my drinks. Their live beers were great. I brought a bottle of their live beer back home  - which Sveta downed and pronounced tasty - she 'doesn't drink'  - and I'm bringing home the 24 percent chocolate beer - for a rainy day. 

I went to the top of the hotel to get some shots of Sochi on a horrible day and was accompanied by the two models I filmed   - part of the way up. They took selfies with the funny Irish guy and his blue glasses and I asked if I could post their video to show how 'interesting' Russia beer could be  :biggrin: 

In the evening, I went to see a film in English - with Russian subtitles - every Wednesday evening the local imax cinema runs a movie in English. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3530978/ with Jeremy Irons and Olga Kurilenko - it has a different title in Russian - sorry I can't remember.

I have always thought her acting was wooden - but in this - wow... 40 percent of the 'English Club' group that I went with thought she was 'poor' and the film 'silly'  - I recommend it - if you are the sort that isn't afraid to admit they like romance stories. It was filmed in York, Edinburgh and the Italian lakes.

Coming back, we experienced a long delay - we remarked that there were Police every 100m - part of the 'fun' of Sochi living - in Summer - this becomes Moscow - the capital of Russia - and roads are often closed for special convoys - 'spez proyest' - leaders of nations visiting the President, etc., We cannot sail for three days - 'security'.. no unauthorised craft allowed.

This weekend, the weather should be warm - beach weather - and we HOPE to meet a board member who will be in the area on holiday / vacation...

God, I'm going to miss SC and the action..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Life in Sochi - in early summer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
Well, my time is fast approaching the limit of days I can remain in Russia and it's time to renew my visa, [ hopefully  :chuckle:] back in the UK

We had a party to say 'good bye' on Saturday evening - where I was presented a signed copy of of the history of Sochi in postcards through the ages.. WONDERFUL AND THOUGHTFUL.

Earlier in the afternoon - I went match racing - one yacht races another - no 2nd place - just a winner and loser..

On our way out to the start line - Sochi port and marina in the background..The Black Gin Palace is the Russian Federation Presidential Yacht

I'm not used to handling the 'big sail' at the front - a Gennaker - so was 'sacked' after the first race by the Skipper, Boris  :D We are yacht 10

We were 2 persons v 4 on the other yacht. Too many things to do.

Scratching of heads - after being thrashed in race 1

For the next race I helmed and we were joined by the wily Slava - a super tactician.The transformation was immediate..The racing was close and we lost 2 more races out of seven - one by 2 seconds - after Slava told me to go for it .. I knew we were early and we were called back and started a minute behind - but closed in on the run.

Very nearly recovered from a disastrous early start ..

'Team Sasha'

They had just won the first race...

10 Seconds to the start ... 'Team Boris'  - with yours truly, now at the helm - about to make a perfect start

So, we won 4-3 and I had a perfect day.

I am going to miss SC, the little chap and Sochi.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:43:42 PM »
We are yacht 9

Offline Annushka

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:09 PM »
This small restaurant is located on the seafront in Sochi I ruined purse Moby coffee.  :innocent: :-*

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 03:37:28 AM »
Hi Annushka!

Cannot believe how time has flown past.

Next day flew to Turkey,  then UK... been to Wales, across to Ireland Manchester, West Yorks.....

We were glad to meet you and my 'purse' was glad to be lighter!))))

You didn't mention the wonderful sunset, brandy, beer ... and my wonderful Russian language skills !