The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What is Belarus Like?  (Read 1688 times)

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
What is Belarus Like?
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »

I really like Lukashenko and he has done many good things especially keeping the country clean and safe and keeping migrants out.

:censored: n hell, are you from the 30's?

I don't see how being or not being from the 1930's is relevant to this topic.   

Belarus is safe thanks to Lukashenko.  It is also the cleanest European city I have visited.  And I have been to about 20 European countries. 

In what city do you know of where one can walk alone in the downtown of the capital at 0300 as I have done in Minsk. 

Also the police is courteous and polite.  I am obviously not from there and yet I have only been asked for my documents twice and both times at the train station.  The officers were polite, saw my visa, passport validity, etc and a thank you and good day.  all done in less than 30 seconds.  That's one minute of my time in five trips I have made to this country. 

I have also visited every oblast.  No problems. 

Belarus actually checks who is coming into the country.  Not like Merkel which has allowed God knows who into her country. 

Belarus is definitely safer and more organized. 

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: What is Belarus Like?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
Which one of the sensible blokes here would agree that Belarus is safer than the EU? 

For those who have amnesia let's remember Paris and Brussels. 

Even though the economy is not good in Belarus, we must recognize that Lukashaneko has kept the country safe. 

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:58:44 AM »

I really like Lukashenko and he has done many good things especially keeping the country clean and safe and keeping migrants out.

:censored: n hell, are you from the 30's?

I don't see how being or not being from the 1930's is relevant to this topic.   

Belarus is safe thanks to Lukashenko.  It is also the cleanest European city I have visited.  And I have been to about 20 European countries. 

In what city do you know of where one can walk alone in the downtown of the capital at 0300 as I have done in Minsk. 

Also the police is courteous and polite.  I am obviously not from there and yet I have only been asked for my documents twice and both times at the train station.  The officers were polite, saw my visa, passport validity, etc and a thank you and good day.  all done in less than 30 seconds.  That's one minute of my time in five trips I have made to this country. 

I have also visited every oblast.  No problems. 

Belarus actually checks who is coming into the country.  Not like Merkel which has allowed God knows who into her country. 

Belarus is definitely safer and more organized.

Having relatives in Minsk and a couple of the surrounding places, we have visited fairly, but not too often, and I personally find the place excellent, though very poor.

The infrastructure is well kept and in good repair, the medical/hospital's are excellent, though medicines are extremely difficult to find, and expensive.

There was always a good choice of foodstuff in the shops, though imports from the EU were expensive..

Cleanliness was superb.

I love Minsk..(if only for a visit, as visas and work is difficult to get for foreigners).
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:00:24 AM »
A friend of mine packed somewhat wayward daughter off to her parents in Belarus. The reason was that society is more ordered and kids learn good habits. It kinda worked.

Many people have a good regard for Belarusian society. I have never experienced it but from what I have learned it seems to not be a mistaken appraisal.

Not everything is about how many toys grown up kiddies buy on credit.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »
I agree with most comments re Minsk.

The country in general but particularly the capital is extremely clean, safe and you can get virtually anything you want. Obviously Belarus has many social/economic problems right now but it's a very good place to visit and it makes many 1st world cities around the globe look dirty and hostile.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:21 PM »
I agree with most comments re Minsk.

Sure visas are only hard to get if you are from Belarus....They tend to get v.short term Schegens...

It is NOT hard to get one to visit.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
Belarus is Doing Better Than You Think - A Traveler's Report

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/white-russia-makes-progress/ri16076
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »

Since you asked the question, I would say the answer is pretty much every (non-American) western city. Or at least every (non-American) city I have visited, and that is more than a few.

I don't doubt you that Minsk is a very nice place.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 03:29:04 AM »
Since you asked the question, I would say the answer is pretty much every (non-American) western city. Or at least every (non-American) city I have visited, and that is more than a few.

You wouldn't want to walk around in many parts of the UK's largest cities at 3am to be fair.

Nor Calais (town not city in France) at the moment for that matter.........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »

You wouldn't want to walk around in many parts of the UK's largest cities at 3am to be fair.

Nor Calais (town not city in France) at the moment for that matter.........

I would keep to the centre of London and not worry to much.  Good point about Calais. Never been there though...

Offline Jerash

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »
About the only city I have been in where I wouldn't walk about at 3am is Kathmandu. Didn't seem like a particularly dangerous place, but it is desperately poor and street smarts and general prudence would suggest to stay off the street at that hour unless you are familiar with the environment and know what you're doing.

Registration