The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: USA -v- Europe.  (Read 16424 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: USA -v- Europe.
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 03:38:17 AM »

Oh and yes Mustang outsold all German sports cars in Germany :)
Again without links. I don't see them on the road, so you are going to have to prove it.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 03:45:49 AM »

Oh and yes Mustang outsold all German sports cars in Germany :)
Again without links. I don't see them on the road, so you are going to have to prove it.
I have to prove it, your Google link broken  :chuckle:
I am a car guy, I read this stuff daily its part of my hobby.
But for fun, here it is, press release from Ford, report on out selling in Germany, From German
motor authority KBA.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/04/20/ford-mustang-is-best-selling-sports-coupe-globally.html
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 03:45:51 AM »
And its less money, at least on this side of the pond.
The one in the picture above, you can't buy at local dealer, so not sure of import costs,
when able to import.
Then why show a picture of it, if I can't buy one. And if a jag is cheaper than a regular Mustang, this one is overpriced even further.

So I get to quote other 'supercars' as well, a Lambo can be had for those kinds of pricing.
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 03:49:03 AM »
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/04/20/ford-mustang-is-best-selling-sports-coupe-globally.html
We were talking sports-cars , not a 2.3 litre engine baby-model.

Next , you will call a Golf GTI with 200bhp a sports car :)

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 04:42:07 AM »
Tesla is a marvelous demonstration of the technique of subsidy hunting.

Every car that Tesla makes is sold at a huge loss - and that will not change.
Every car that Tesla makes is subsidized by US tax payers - every USAian owns a slice of every Tesla being riven anywhere in the world - except that none of you will ever benefit from it. The benefits flow to Elon Musk and a small group of private shareholders.

Musk is a genius, a genius at spotting areas of enterprise where the government will either pay for, or underwrite, the business whilst letting him keep any profits. All upside, no downside.

Tesla are a tiny, niche manufacturer in a niche in which they are a niche player - look at the numbers, I have posted them on this site before now. The chances that they will scale to 1000% of current output in the next two years? HAHAHAHHAHAHA! But Musk will profit from every penny of taxpayers money being lavished up his businesses.

OH, Mustang: CLICK HERE! One month the Mustang outsold the Porsche 911 by 28 units 780/752. My guess? There's a deal of pent up demand for these cars but one swallow does not make a summer and with that size of market, it isn't exactly a popular choice! I'd be rather surprised if the Mustang continues to sell 'as well'. Remember that the Mustang is supposed to be a mass market car - the Porsche, nope, not a bit of it. (Mustang was the 19th best selling car in the US in 2015 - selling less than 800 cars a month across the whole marque in Germany is hardly a success is it?)

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 05:55:07 AM »
Tesla is a marvelous demonstration of the technique of subsidy hunting.

Every car that Tesla makes is sold at a huge loss - and that will not change.
Every car that Tesla makes is subsidized by US tax payers - every USAian owns a slice of every Tesla being riven anywhere in the world - except that none of you will ever benefit from it. The benefits flow to Elon Musk and a small group of private shareholders.

Musk is a genius, a genius at spotting areas of enterprise where the government will either pay for, or underwrite, the business whilst letting him keep any profits. All upside, no downside.

Tesla are a tiny, niche manufacturer in a niche in which they are a niche player - look at the numbers, I have posted them on this site before now. The chances that they will scale to 1000% of current output in the next two years? HAHAHAHHAHAHA! But Musk will profit from every penny of taxpayers money being lavished up his businesses.

You're a funny guy - relying on Manny to project your howlers from being mocked

Previously you quoted Teslas sales figures - in relation to other EVs and under misrepresented their sales by a quarter of a million

Then you neglected to point out their order book - which was double their previous entire sales.

Another andrewfi fail

''Tesla expects to become profitable in 2016, shares surge'' - Feb 2016

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-results-idUSKCN0VJ2J6

Since that article was written - shares are up 25 percent

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 06:02:30 AM »
FWIW you can buy Sam Adams beers in the UK, I stumbled into a TGI's a while back near Leeds (as there was no where else and we needed to eat) and they sell it in there, I tried a couple, its actually quite nice beer TBH, far better than all the lager types like Bud, Coors etc, but still can't hold a candle to a nice smooth Johns Smiths, Tetleys, Boddingtons to name but three.
Слава Україні

Offline yankee

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 06:19:37 AM »
England has Rover, oh wait owned by the Chinese, Jaguar owned by an Indian firm,
But jags remain 'produced in brittain' , except for those in the chinese market.

http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/gl/en/innovation/production-operations/

I must admit that jags are atractive but they are always in need of repair (I owned an XJ6). I also had an MGA.  Always had to tinker with that one also.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Maxx

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 06:40:27 AM »
An American muscle car legend, made in the United States of America. 

As a matter of fact, I have owned many Mustangs. In fact, I have owned dozens of American cars and trucks. Example

That's a beauty! I don't care for the new style. The previous ones like yours were perfection. I like the new Dodge Challengers also. My first car was a '70 with a 4 speed a souped up V-8 with 11.75 to 1 compression ratio, a 850 Holley carb on an Edelbrock Tarantula intake manifold. About 6 mpg because of the 4.56 rear end gears but a lot of fun.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 07:37:28 AM »
The XJ6 is from many years ago. It would seem to be rather unwise to ascribe the reliability issues that genuinely were a part of that car with current cars. Just the same as one would not,  sensibly, ascribe the horrendous quality of US cars of yore to today's output. We can clearly see that many US cars now approach European standards for build quality and efficiency.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
FWIW you can buy Sam Adams beers in the UK, I stumbled into a TGI's a while back near Leeds (as there was no where else and we needed to eat) and they sell it in there, I tried a couple, its actually quite nice beer TBH, far better than all the lager types like Bud, Coors etc, but still can't hold a candle to a nice smooth Johns Smiths, Tetleys, Boddingtons to name but three.

Thanks Chris, Sam Adams certainly is better than Bud or Coors IMO however it's not a small craft brewery, it's a large one (aka Boston Beer Co).  As such I think they wanted to be close, but better than Bud or Coors.  Sam Adams has others but the stars are the smaller craft brewers.

There are hundreds of them over here on the West Coast.  Widmer Hefe is one of my favorites.  There's also Pyramid and many others.  The point is that Manny has no business criticizing American beer when he has little knowledge of it.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »
The XJ6 is from many years ago. It would seem to be rather unwise to ascribe the reliability issues that genuinely were a part of that car with current cars. Just the same as one would not,  sensibly, ascribe the horrendous quality of US cars of yore to today's output. We can clearly see that many US cars now approach European standards for build quality and efficiency.

Oh Andrew they had soul! The moan of a pair of duel quads or a six-pac! and they can be tinkered with too. I learned to be a pretty good mechanic from all the breakdowns, busted u joints, starter burnouts, and engine rebuilds. I took this:

to this:

From a 110 HP grandma motor slant-six to a 422 HP @ 5000 RPM / 485 Foot pounds @ 3000 RPM (dynoed) Corvette killer and had a lot of fun doing it!

Offline Anteros

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
Manny, you haven't even heard of Samuel Adams beer, yet you think you've got a right to criticize American beer?  Let me guess, just like when you bought some Velveeta cheese at 7-11, you also bought a 6 pack of Budweiser.  :sick0012:

Fella, I dont drink beer.

Europeans know cheese?  Oh do they?  Seems you don't know much about the subject matter -- Artisan and other high quality American cheese manufacturers.  How can you possibly consider yourself qualified to criticize American cheese, when you've never had Tilamook, one of the major West Coast players?  Have you ever tried one of their 12 month aged sharp cheddars?  Nope, you just like to spew your usual rabid anti-American propaganda.

I've got a nice Face Rock rockin' pepper jack in my fridge right now, waiting for a special occasion.  Have you ever had it or any of the hundreds of regional Artisan American made cheeses?  No, you just like to shoot from the hip.

You are making yourself look daft. Really, do some Googling about British, French and Dutch cheese.  :-[

You already made yourself look daft.  You know nothing of Artisan cheese companies in the USA but you claim that American cheese is  "ropey".

FYI I don't need to Google about European cheese: I lived there for 3 years.  Never said they were bad.  That's you, attempting to deflect from your original comments.

You probably bought some Bud or Coors and didn't like it either.  Now you claim you don't drink beer.  If you don't drink beer you have no business trying to critique it. 

Your posts about the USA follow a familiar formula:  Look for the lowest common denominator and claim that this is America.  Same boorish formula you've used for many years.  :GRRRR:

Offline Anteros

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »
For Architecture we've got Frank Lloyd Wright, the weird dude in California named Frank Gehry, etc.  Quality and design which is uniquely American goes back to Colonial then up to Art Deco in Miami, Long Beach, CA. etc.

I'll raise you the Romans, the Georgians, the Victorians and everything since.

Education?  I wonder why so many foreigners flock to the USA for it?

Coz they closed Oxford and Cambridge?  :chuckle:

In regards to Architecture you by nature of living in the UK do NOT own history.  We've had a few million Scandinavian immigrants and a few of them became Architects.  We've had millions of Italian immigrants and a few of them became Architects.  We've had millions of English and Scottish immigrants and a few of them became Architects.

Look here and you may learn something.  Only one Dane was listed (which doesn't prove they don't have a great history in Architecture but interesting).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritzker_Architecture_Prize

You mentioning Cambridge and Oxford is a moot point.  Did you attend either?  Did you graduate from either?

Offline Manny

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »
Your posts about the USA follow a familiar formula:  Look for the lowest common denominator and claim that this is America.  Same boorish formula you've used for many years.  :GRRRR:

Its like the gift that keeps on giving.  :chuckle:

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
In regards to Architecture you by nature of living in the UK do NOT own history.  We've had a few million Scandinavian immigrants and a few of them became Architects.  We've had millions of Italian immigrants and a few of them became Architects.  We've had millions of English and Scottish immigrants and a few of them became Architects.

Imagine, in a few hundred years you will have a mature country with a history.  :whist11:

BTW my point on Danes was design, not architecture. I was thinking of stuff like Bang & Olufsen and Poul Henningsen. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
Look at this wonderful piece of architecture in UK, wonder what it is?

ila_rendered
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
Brighton royal pavilion I suppose. I thought it was a mosque for a moment.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »

They opened a dealer recently in Manchester actually. I keep meaning to drop in out of idle curiosity.

Have a test drive... I have driven a Model S ... MIND BLOWING

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2016, 11:11:20 AM »
Brighton royal pavilion I suppose. I thought it was a mosque for a moment.

Yeah, I was hoping to rattle Cuffy and Ant's cages....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
Maxx, when the US made cars, until they got the hang of quality, you could see variances in panel gaps (still can, but it is better).

Italian cars, a few, had similar issues, but that was because a bloke who cared was beating out a curve in a sheet of metal over a wooden and leather form. That's soul. What you're talking of is a poorly made, mass produced, artefact into which you invested many hours trying to undo the shoddy work that went into its making. That's not soul, that's sunk costs! (in English: good money after bad) ;)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
Moby,  at it again. Try to be honest, please.

There's  no 'under representation' in the figures I quoted they are accurate. You know it.

Tesla has orders that they can't fulfill on a car that is not finished being designed, to be built in a factory not yet constructed with delivery time that not even Tesla will stand by.

You know, because you are not THAT stupid that those cars will not be sold when they have been suggested they will be but you are happy to be dishonest with us in order to try to make a point.

Why do you do it?
Who do you impress?

Why not try building some credibility by being honest with yourself and others?

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
And its less money, at least on this side of the pond.
The one in the picture above, you can't buy at local dealer, so not sure of import costs,
when able to import.
Then why show a picture of it, if I can't buy one. And if a jag is cheaper than a regular Mustang, this one is overpriced even further.

So I get to quote other 'supercars' as well, a Lambo can be had for those kinds of pricing.
the Mustang Shelby GT350 is less money, one dealer in Germany is selling them,
it is about 90K less than Jag F type, in US dollars.
The R is a unicorn in reality less than 500 being built a year.
But considering a gt 5.0 Mustang will beat many cars in its stock forum
for less then 40 USD.

GOLF STI R is consider a sports car, but in reality I was thinking BMW, AUDI, Merc's ETC.
The Shelby eats most of those for fun, for far less than half the money :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »
The XJ6 is from many years ago.

andrewfi I'm guessing you never owned a Jag XJ from the Egan era - when they were built well and still had the soul Maxx describes.

I had a V12 Jag XJS ... which was really an 'ol man's Capri ... but once a year she got to go flat out on an Autobahn - the engine noise barely noticeable... At the time Mercedes Benz chief engineer pronounced it the best production engine in the world.

Maxx - respect ...I hadn't the first clue how to work on the V12 ... In '94 the Jag dealer charged 32 GBP/ hour / approx 48 usd...

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
In nl that mustang is more expensive than a jag or a bmw.
OO===[][]===OO