The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: USA -v- Europe.  (Read 16429 times)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: USA -v- Europe.
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
I was under the impression, that the Prius was a Hybrid, rather than an all electric car, at least until much more recent "plug in" model...
You are correct, the Prius is a plugin-hybrid. It isn't a true electric car because its gasoline engine drives the wheels together with the combustion engine.

Therefore, they do not meet the mark Anteros set earlier in this thread.

Doesn't the Pruis petrol engine merely drive generators to charge the batteries that drive the wheels?

So there is no direct drive connection from engine to wheels.

I test drove one once (ages ago - non-plugin model) and I sure the engine was mostly off during the drive, only starting to charge the battery when needed.

Plastic car inside, really nasty...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
Well Mark, Tesla is still an American company and this thread is USA vs. Europe.  Seeing that going back we had electric Studebaker's and later Tesla it seems that the USA is still ON TOP!  :laugh:    :gousa:

You can go fly a kite and if you're lucky maybe you'll catch some free electricity while you're at it.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
Gypo

Practical EVs have been around for 60 years or more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:18 AM »
I was under the impression, that the Prius was a Hybrid, rather than an all electric car, at least until much more recent "plug in" model...
You are correct, the Prius is a plugin-hybrid. It isn't a true electric car because its gasoline engine drives the wheels together with the combustion engine.

Doesn't the Pruis petrol engine merely drive generators to charge the batteries that drive the wheels?

I test drove one once (ages ago - non-plugin model) and I sure the engine was mostly off during the drive, only starting to charge the battery when needed.

No. The fact that you can add bhp from both should be a clue
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
Well Mark, Tesla is still an American company and this thread is USA vs. Europe.  Seeing that going back we had electric Studebaker's and later Tesla it seems that the USA is still ON TOP!  :laugh:    :gousa:

You can go fly a kite and if you're lucky maybe you'll catch some free electricity while you're at it.

Im surprised you can actually post with that slow internet over there
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2016, 10:57:27 AM »

No. The fact that you can add bhp from both should be a clue

You're right!

However it can be driven on the electric motors only.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
Ant, a little knowledge makes you seem more, well, Ant like.

The first electric cars were built in Hungary and the UK. The first car seen as being practical was German. The US followed along later, standing on the shoulders of giants.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Anteros

« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
Hey Anti-Fidelity, did you give up your attempts at trolling the World championship for Cheese, won by an American company, since you found out that one of the judges was from the United Kingdom?  :ROFL:

Offline Anteros

« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »

So you agree that Tesla is currently the most successful, quickest and best looking all ELECTRIC vehicle and that it is indeed American?  Go ahead, admit it.  You'll feel better once you do.  :-*

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:06 PM »

So you agree that Tesla is currently the most successful, quickest and best looking all ELECTRIC vehicle and that it is indeed American?  Go ahead, admit it.  You'll feel better once you do.  :-*
All except the american bit. Tesla is/was always-will-be a global worldwide company.

Design: By Lotus, modeled after the Lotus Elise
Powertrain+gearbox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BorgWarner (worldwide)
Assemblage: worldwide
Manufactoring: Worldwide
Batteries: Chinese! (hehehe).

Original idea: Saoudi Arabia (yes, that took me as a shock as well, but some guys there invented it, elon musk only funded it afterward)
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Anteros

« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »

All except the american bit. Tesla is/was always-will-be a global worldwide company.

Design: By Lotus, modeled after the Lotus Elise
Powertrain+gearbox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BorgWarner (worldwide)
Assemblage: worldwide
Manufactoring: Worldwide
Batteries: Chinese! (hehehe).

Original idea: Saoudi Arabia (yes, that took me as a shock as well, but some guys there invented it, elon musk only funded it afterward)

It's an American company and most of the manufacturing is done in Fremont, California.  I realize it annoys you to admit this.  Doesn't matter who thought of what, an American, in the United States of America, made it a reality.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »

It's an American company and most of the manufacturing is done in Fremont, California.  I realize it annoys you to admit this.  Doesn't matter who thought of what, an American, in the United States of America, made it a reality.
Small steps there,  Small steps.

OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
Mercedes provide a large part of everything that the owners sees and touches as well.

Worth noting,  of course,  that Tesla's output is barely a rounding figure in overall output of electric vehicles.

Elon Musk is very good at subsidy shopping and we must give credit where it is due. The cars seem to be quite nice as well but surely only the dim and dumb would give more credit than that to a series of parts bin specials and vapour ware?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
Tesla is a marvelous demonstration of the technique of subsidy hunting.

Every car that Tesla makes is sold at a huge loss - and that will not change.
Every car that Tesla makes is subsidized by US tax payers - every USAian owns a slice of every Tesla being riven anywhere in the world - except that none of you will ever benefit from it. The benefits flow to Elon Musk and a small group of private shareholders.

Musk is a genius, a genius at spotting areas of enterprise where the government will either pay for, or underwrite, the business whilst letting him keep any profits. All upside, no downside.

Tesla are a tiny, niche manufacturer in a niche in which they are a niche player - look at the numbers, I have posted them on this site before now. The chances that they will scale to 1000% of current output in the next two years? HAHAHAHHAHAHA! But Musk will profit from every penny of taxpayers money being lavished up his businesses.

You're a funny guy - relying on Manny to project your howlers from being mocked

Previously you quoted Teslas sales figures - in relation to other EVs and under misrepresented their sales by a quarter of a million

Then you neglected to point out their order book - which was double their previous entire sales.

Another andrewfi fail

''Tesla expects to become profitable in 2016, shares surge'' - Feb 2016

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-results-idUSKCN0VJ2J6

Since that article was written - shares are up 25 percent

Not to gloat but tesla is still a huge money pit
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »
I drove a Tesla S in Denmark, whilst I did like it, it was too cheap feeling inside for a £100k car...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »

Markje,

1/ Deliveries up

Why don't you CHECK ?
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/03/teslas-2016-deliveries-production/ 

2/ Shares up

3/ In 2016 it actually managed to make a small qtrly  profit in 1 qtr...  It may well be a 'money pit; but investors aren't getting your message 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
Tesla were selling quite well in Denmark until state subsidies were removed since when sales are down by, iirc, over 80%.

From what I have read the Tesla is well made by US standards. I doubt that many USAians buy the car for its price or value proposition.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »

Markje,

1/ Deliveries up

Why don't you CHECK ?
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/03/teslas-2016-deliveries-production/ 

2/ Shares up

3/ In 2016 it actually managed to make a small qtrly  profit in 1 qtr...  It may well be a 'money pit; but investors aren't getting your message

Investors have this as a pet project. Everyone knows that. Its still throwing money away.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2018, 03:28:06 AM »
I've not been over to the US for quite a few years now, but I've got fond memories of my visits to the States.

My family and some friends had been over there for a fortnight, visiting the theme parks with the kids and then taking a large house for the week on an island in the Gulf coast. The weather was great for the time of year and the holiday was generally a success. However, when we were driving home from the airport my parents made some surprising observations and at first I thought they were joking.

First of all, they found it much more expensive. OK back in the heyday of $2 to the £1, it was pretty cheap living. But even so, they noticed that supermarket shopping and general groceries were way more expensive than the UK. My dad said that he'd picked up the usual nibbles and essentials but ended up paying around $180 on average, for what you'd expect to pay £40-50 for in the Uk. I remember milk being one of them $6-8 for something we'd pay £2 for. Fresh fish from the market to cook back at the house was expensive. Alcohol was also pretty steep, way more expensive than the UK and it made London sound reasonable value.

The other was the quality of the food. They ate in all kinds of establishments and quite a few expensive, well respected restaurants but they described it as salty junk. Huge portions with no real quality to it. I raised my eyebrows at that because that's not what I remembered from 10 years back. The other comment was that all the beer was shit. Now I know, there is good food in the US and some people like American beer....but I was shocked because my folks are very well travelled but clearly decided the quality was generally low.

The old " the food is terrible" in the UK, is up there with the best myths including the tight Scotsman. It might have been true at some point but I think the food and drinks industry has come a long way over here, with no shortage of good food, local suppliers, sustainability and freshness.

Food for thought as they say.....

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2018, 03:54:55 AM »
Healthy and delicious food is available in the States. But one most be willing to pay for it. It will cost 10 to 40% more than say the quality offered by Walmart or Costco. Having noted this sometimes these mega box stores have great deals on high quality food stuffs.

The general comment about many things being more pricey in the States is true.

It is harder to compare other things such as housing, Seattle and much of California is very expensive.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:05 AM »
Healthy and delicious food is available in the States. But one most be willing to pay for it. It will cost 10 to 40% more than say the quality offered by Walmart or Costco. Having noted this sometimes these mega box stores have great deals on high quality food stuffs.

The general comment about many things being more pricey in the States is true.

It is harder to compare other things such as housing, Seattle and much of California is very expensive.

I agree and have myself enjoyed good healthy food in the states. I guess my point was that in Florida at least, generally speaking the quality of food and beer was expensive and poor. A generalisation but a surprising one.

In one restaurant they paid around $1000 for 7 diners, it wasn't good. There was no dining in Walmart or Denny's.

Offline yankee

« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2018, 06:44:18 AM »
I've not been over to the US for quite a few years now, but I've got fond memories of my visits to the States.

My family and some friends had been over there for a fortnight, visiting the theme parks with the kids and then taking a large house for the week on an island in the Gulf coast. The weather was great for the time of year and the holiday was generally a success. However, when we were driving home from the airport my parents made some surprising observations and at first I thought they were joking.

First of all, they found it much more expensive. OK back in the heyday of $2 to the £1, it was pretty cheap living. But even so, they noticed that supermarket shopping and general groceries were way more expensive than the UK. My dad said that he'd picked up the usual nibbles and essentials but ended up paying around $180 on average, for what you'd expect to pay £40-50 for in the Uk. I remember milk being one of them $6-8 for something we'd pay £2 for. Fresh fish from the market to cook back at the house was expensive. Alcohol was also pretty steep, way more expensive than the UK and it made London sound reasonable value.

The other was the quality of the food. They ate in all kinds of establishments and quite a few expensive, well respected restaurants but they described it as salty junk. Huge portions with no real quality to it. I raised my eyebrows at that because that's not what I remembered from 10 years back. The other comment was that all the beer was shit. Now I know, there is good food in the US and some people like American beer....but I was shocked because my folks are very well travelled but clearly decided the quality was generally low.

The old " the food is terrible" in the UK, is up there with the best myths including the tight Scotsman. It might have been true at some point but I think the food and drinks industry has come a long way over here, with no shortage of good food, local suppliers, sustainability and freshness.

Food for thought as they say.....

The last time I was in Western Europe was when I was courting my wife (2007) and we spent 2 weeks in Paris.  We stayed in a business hotel about 1/2km from the Eiffel Tower for only 102 euro per night. Food was very expensive compared to other countries.  Very good food but expensive 60-80 euro (not drinks).  I have to say the two weeks was fabulous!!
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Manny

« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »
I agree you have to dig about and/or research for good food in the US. Yes, portions are huge but quality is often mediocre. I suppose if you live there you get to know where to shop for good stuff (at a price), Whole Foods is it? I guess we all know about the chlorinated chicken and the hormone and antibiotic-laden beef, etc. And whats that syrup they put in everything that makes everyone fat? Corn syrup or something?

I'm not big on food in the US from what I've had. I also agree its not cheap, certainly when sneaky sales taxes are added on at the till and in restaurants the tipping nonsense that is the norm there makes it expensive.

Food isn't a reason to go for me. That said, my wife always likes the sea food in FL. I don't eat that so much so cant comment there.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »
Whole Foods is better known as Whole Paycheck. Purchased a while back by J. Bezos (Amazon).
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Guile

« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is high quality stuff...probably similar to Waitrose in the UK. 

There is a Whole Foods in London actually and it is always jam packed.  Right at Picadilly Circus.  High foot traffic.

London has good food in general but the Chinese food still can't compete with California.  Go to the Chinatown in LA or San Franc and you'll know.

Registration