The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: USA -v- Europe.  (Read 16426 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
USA -v- Europe.
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
(doesn't every normal guy dream of a superior European model?)

British class and education, French wine, Dutch cheese, German cars, Danish design, Italian style, rich culture and FSU women.

-v-

The American condition, ropey weak beer, plastic cheese, cars that fall apart, no design to speak of, no style or culture at all and overweight, feminist women who see therapists and watch Jerry Springer.

Yes, I see your point.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: USA -v- Europe.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »

British class and education, French wine, Dutch cheese, German cars, Danish design, Italian style, rich culture and FSU women.

-v-

The American condition, ropey weak beer, plastic cheese, cars that fall apart, no design to speak of, no style or culture at all and overweight, feminist women who see therapists and watch Jerry Springer.

Yes, I see your point.

Let's see there is Corvette's and Tesla's, Sam Adams as well Two Roads beer, America is creating international award winning cheeses, and has NPR and a vibrant culture.

England has Rover, oh wait owned by the Chinese, Jaguar owned by an Indian firm, lots of towel heads and a most likely future mayor of London who is openly associated with Muslim extremists. There is Coronation Street and the artistic talent called David Hockney. And you have Tony and Jeremy.

But one should be careful, I drive a Saab, own a Hanse sailboat, prefer Greek olive oil and really like aged Parmigiana. Plus my suits are English made in America.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »
Relations Can Flourish When US Recognizes Russia Is No Longer a Doormat

http://russia-insider.com/en/russia-rises-mat/ri14226
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »

-v-

Yes, I see your point.

Let's see there is Corvette's and Tesla's, Sam Adams as well Two Roads beer, America is creating international award winning cheeses, and has NPR and a vibrant culture.

England has Rover, oh wait owned by the Chinese, Jaguar owned by an Indian firm, lots of towel heads and a most likely future mayor of London who is openly associated with Muslim extremists. There is Coronation Street and the artistic talent called David Hockney. And you have Tony and Jeremy.

But one should be careful, I drive a Saab, own a Hanse sailboat, prefer Greek olive oil and really like aged Parmigiana. Plus my suits are English made in America.

That was almost too easy!  :ROFL:

Let me add my 2 cents.  As far as cars we beat the British hands down both on price and reliability, whether it's GMC or Ford.  Although I like German cars very much again American cars are more reliable, lower cost to operate and lower cost to purchase.  Although it's really a moot point as people can purchase what they like and what they can afford.

As far as cheese over here on the West Coast we've got Tillamook and Facerock and numerous other Artisan cheese's that Manny's never heard of because he goes to 7-11 for Velveeta just so he can then whine about our cheese.  Either that or he's just incredibly cheap. 

Again here on the West Coast for Beer we've got Widmer (my favorite is the Hefe), Pyramid and about 500 other small craft beers which easily compete with Germany's best.

No design to speak of?  There's Manny doing his best to hate on America.  But ask his wife and she knows California has a ton of design and style, as does New York City home of the best designers in the World.  Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, etc.  Very unique American design that in fact is popular and coveted all over the World.

The average FSU woman would not feel complete without a badly designed (in China) knock off of an American T shirt with an attempt at nonsensical English.  Take her some real American designed shirts and you're in like Flynn.

For Architecture we've got Frank Lloyd Wright, the weird dude in California named Frank Gehry, etc.  Quality and design which is uniquely American goes back to Colonial then up to Art Deco in Miami, Long Beach, CA. etc.

British class must have faded many years ago if the most glaring example of a lack of it is any indication (okay, an expat in Estonia). 

Education?  I wonder why so many foreigners flock to the USA for it?  Wonder why we have so many top ranked Universities?

London?  You just lost it to a new Muslim Mayor who had extremist ties.  Look for more attempts at full on Sharia.  Lost forever within 2 or 3 decades is my estimate.

Suits?  If I wore them I would take Hickey-Freeman or Hart Shaffner and Marx over most pseudo British products. 

:popcorn:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »

-v-

Yes, I see your point.

That was almost too easy!  :ROFL:

Let me add my 2 cents.  As far as cars we beat the British hands down both on price and reliability, whether it's GMC or Ford.  Although I like German cars very much again American cars are more reliable, lower cost to operate and lower cost to purchase.  Although it's really a moot point as people can purchase what they like and what they can afford.

As far as cheese over here on the West Coast we've got Tillamook and Facerock and numerous other Artisan cheese's that Manny's never heard of because he goes to 7-11 for Velveeta just so he can then whine about our cheese.  Either that or he's just incredibly cheap. 

Again here on the West Coast for Beer we've got Widmer (my favorite is the Hefe), Pyramid and about 500 other small craft beers which easily compete with Germany's best.

No design to speak of?  There's Manny doing his best to hate on America.  But ask his wife and she knows California has a ton of design and style, as does New York City home of the best designers in the World.  Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, etc.  Very unique American design that in fact is popular and coveted all over the World.

The average FSU woman would not feel complete without a badly designed (in China) knock off of an American T shirt with an attempt at nonsensical English.  Take her some real American designed shirts and you're in like Flynn.

For Architecture we've got Frank Lloyd Wright, the weird dude in California named Frank Gehry, etc.  Quality and design which is uniquely American goes back to Colonial then up to Art Deco in Miami, Long Beach, CA. etc.

British class must have faded many years ago if the most glaring example of a lack of it is any indication (okay, an expat in Estonia). 

Education?  I wonder why so many foreigners flock to the USA for it?  Wonder why we have so many top ranked Universities?

London?  You just lost it to a new Muslim Mayor who had extremist ties.  Look for more attempts at full on Sharia.  Lost forever within 2 or 3 decades is my estimate.

Suits?  If I wore them I would take Hickey-Freeman or Hart Shaffner and Marx over most pseudo British products. 

:popcorn:

Thats if you survive the course without being shot or buggered by some big black mother ***** :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »

Thats if you survive the course without being shot or buggered by some big black mother ***** :laugh:

I would not laugh, based on your posts you seem to an uneducated, bigoted little toady that prefers to be shit faced on a regular basis.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »

I would not laugh, based on your posts you seem to an uneducated, bigoted little toady that prefers to be shit faced on a regular basis.

Sorry I never went to Harvard like you... Just the local council estate , and a crummy comprehensive.. I guess I will not be going for a beer with you any time soon  :laugh:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »

Sorry I never went to Harvard like you... Just the local council estate , and a crummy comprehensive.. I guess I will not be going for a beer with you any time soon  :laugh:

Do not worry finished high school, and learned arty farty stuff on my own. As well as when to see douche bags BS's.

A beer is possible, but I like my women warm and my beer cold.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 02:51:26 PM »
Let's see there is Corvette's

Made of plastic last time I looked.

and Tesla's,

That nobody buys.

Sam Adams as well Two Roads beer,

Never heard of either.

America is creating international award winning cheeses,

In America maybe. It aint on the shelves here.

and has NPR and a vibrant culture.

Dunno what is "NPR".

England has Rover, oh wait owned by the Chinese,

Rover has been gone for many years.

Jaguar owned by an Indian firm,

England has a rich and interesting history with India. Nothing wrong with that.

lots of towel heads

I'll give you that one.

and a most likely future mayor of London who is openly associated with Muslim extremists.

Yes, like Sweden, London is lost now. Thankfully, I don't live there.

There is Coronation Street

People like that but I dont watch it.

and the artistic talent called David Hockney. And you have Tony and Jeremy.

Not sure who these people are.

I drive a Saab,

Another defunct car company; like Rover.

own a Hanse sailboat, prefer Greek olive oil and really like aged Parmigiana.

There is hope for you yet.

Plus my suits are English made in America.

If you need a decent Hong Kong tailor? Try this bloke. No need to pay American prices.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
As far as cars we beat the British hands down both on price and reliability, whether it's GMC or Ford. 

Yes coz Chevy pickups are so much better than Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Range Rover and Aston Martin, right?  :ROFL:

Although I like German cars very much again American cars are more reliable, lower cost to operate and lower cost to purchase.  Although it's really a moot point as people can purchase what they like and what they can afford.

Poor people!

Please don't try to tell a European about cheese.  (:)

Any export numbers to Germany handy?

Dude, Hilfiger? Take a look in Italy and get back to me.  :Zzzzsleep:

Cheap guys seek out cheap women I guess.

I'll raise you the Romans, the Georgians, the Victorians and everything since.

Education?  I wonder why so many foreigners flock to the USA for it?

Coz they closed Oxford and Cambridge?  :chuckle:

That point goes to you.  :bow:

You dont need a designer to make white running shoes, long socks, baseball caps and fanny packs.  :)

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
Manny, your at it again, bashing America and picking and choosing what you like
A little north of the US we have better beer, better seafood including "fish & chips"
Fair bit of culture as 90% of our people come from all over the world.
Oh and the #1 selling sports car in the world is the new Mustang, even in Germany.
This car has won every major award beating out cars 2-3 times its value.
Sorry you can't buy one  :chuckle:

PS, everyone also wants the brits teeth :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »
A little north of the US we have better beer, better seafood including "fish & chips"

You have the Queen. We taught you everything you know. What can I say?  :chuckle:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
Let's see there is Corvette's
Made of plastic last time I looked.
Hello, they always have been made of plastic (fiberglass). Is it not Morgan who uses Ford as a platform? Off course there is that wonderful contribution to the motoring world from England, the Plastic Pig.

and Tesla's,
That nobody buys.
Funny I saw two in L'viv last time I was there (2015) and this year I seem to remember three in Kivy. In Connecticut I get tired of seeing them sort of ordinary, now.

Sam Adams as well Two Roads beer,
Never heard of either.
You need to spread your wings and try something new. It will not hurt.

America is creating international award winning cheeses,
In America maybe. It aint on the shelves here.
Was a while back in Paris, and an American cheese in some sort of competition (cheddar division), bested all the other entries. Though America has a way to go on the veined (blue) cheese department in my opinion.

and has NPR and a vibrant culture.
Dunno what is "NPR".
National Public Radio, receives a small amount of money for its cultural mostly music programs from the US government. America has produced musicians from Steve Riech and Philip Glass to REM and Tears for Fears, to name a few. OK I will admit I do like a fair bit of the English pop, as well as groups such as ColdPlay, The Clash, Elvis Costello and Peter Gabriel. But really you need to listen to and read some alternative sources other than all the Russian nonsense. You are getting to sound like Archie Bunker with a bad accent. Otherwise you will getting pats on the back from Wiz.

England has Rover, oh wait owned by the Chinese,
Rover has been gone for many years.
Jaguar owned by an Indian firm,
England has a rich and interesting history with India. Nothing wrong with that.
Rover was first owned by Honda and than BMW. Since it was the car of respectable English folk it says something for English industry. Pun intended.

lots of towel heads
I'll give you that one.
and a most likely future mayor of London who is openly associated with Muslim extremists.
Yes, like Sweden, London is lost now. Thankfully, I don't live there.
Stay calm and pray on (7 times a day)

There is Coronation Street
People like that but I dont watch it.
and the artistic talent called David Hockney. And you have Tony and Jeremy.
Not sure who these people are.
David Hockney is your preeminent English artist, though personally I prefer the guy called Banksy. Tony Blair is if I recall a Hillary wannabe, Jeremy Corbyn is a rising star. Of course there is Jeremy Clarkson, why was he not knighted? Really you need to get out some more.

I drive a Saab,
Another defunct car company; like Rover.
Yes that is a Saab story. But I have always owned the line.

own a Hanse sailboat, prefer Greek olive oil and really like aged Parmigiana.
There is hope for you yet.
Thanks

Offline Anteros

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »
Oh and the #1 selling sports car in the world is the new Mustang, even in Germany.
This car has won every major award beating out cars 2-3 times its value.
Sorry you can't buy one  :chuckle:

PS, everyone also wants the brits teeth :)

Manny has so little real knowledge of America I don't know why anyone of us try to educate him; seems a total waste of time.

Anyways very nice Shelby.  An American muscle car legend, made in the United States of America.  Seems some of these Brits still have a hangover from losing their Empire and since us Yanks played a major role in that they still are trying to rewrite history.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »
Manny, you haven't even heard of Samuel Adams beer, yet you think you've got a right to criticize American beer?  Let me guess, just like when you bought some Velveeta cheese at 7-11, you also bought a 6 pack of Budweiser.  :sick0012:

Europeans know cheese?  Oh do they?  Seems you don't know much about the subject matter -- Artisan and other high quality American cheese manufacturers.  How can you possibly consider yourself qualified to criticize American cheese, when you've never had Tilamook, one of the major West Coast players?  Have you ever tried one of their 12 month aged sharp cheddars?  Nope, you just like to spew your usual rabid anti-American propaganda.

I've got a nice Face Rock rockin' pepper jack in my fridge right now, waiting for a special occasion.  Have you ever had it or any of the hundreds of regional Artisan American made cheeses?  No, you just like to shoot from the hip.

Would I rather drive a brand new Chevy truck over an overpriced Rolls, Jaguar or Land Rover?  You bet I would.  Admittedly I will end up with a used one, but I consider your statement to be a hypothetical.  You can't afford any of those anyways, it just makes a guy like you feel good to drop names.  Oh pardon, you say you did purchase a used Land Rover.  They are very nice to look at.  Initial purchase price, maintenance and insurance are very high.

Here's a link you can read up on Sam Adams and get a proper beer next time you visit Florida.

http://www.samueladams.com/history

I'm too tired now to deal with the rest of your misconceptions; later.

PS...Didn't you drive a Chrysler 300 at one time?  Uh huh.  :laugh:

PPS...the one photo I've seen of you and you were wearing jeans.  Forgot that jeans were invented in the USA by Levi Straus, did you??  :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »
Anteros,

I doubt Manny is rabiedly anti-American [ loving some weird country music, big block engines ] or 'pro-Russian - as he is happy to live in a Socialist voting part of Manchester...

His stance is all part of the 'new direction' he hoped t take the board  :chuckle:
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 01:24:27 AM »
Manny, you haven't even heard of Samuel Adams beer, yet you think you've got a right to criticize American beer?  Let me guess, just like when you bought some Velveeta cheese at 7-11, you also bought a 6 pack of Budweiser.  :sick0012:

Fella, I dont drink beer.

Europeans know cheese?  Oh do they?  Seems you don't know much about the subject matter -- Artisan and other high quality American cheese manufacturers.  How can you possibly consider yourself qualified to criticize American cheese, when you've never had Tilamook, one of the major West Coast players?  Have you ever tried one of their 12 month aged sharp cheddars?  Nope, you just like to spew your usual rabid anti-American propaganda.

I've got a nice Face Rock rockin' pepper jack in my fridge right now, waiting for a special occasion.  Have you ever had it or any of the hundreds of regional Artisan American made cheeses?  No, you just like to shoot from the hip.

You are making yourself look daft. Really, do some Googling about British, French and Dutch cheese.  :-[

Would I rather drive a brand new Chevy truck over an overpriced Rolls, Jaguar or Land Rover?  You bet I would.  Admittedly I will end up with a used one, but I consider your statement to be a hypothetical.  You can't afford any of those anyways, it just makes a guy like you feel good to drop names.  Oh pardon, you say you did purchase a used Land Rover.  They are very nice to look at.  Initial purchase price, maintenance and insurance are very high.

I cant afford a British car?  ;D

PS...Didn't you drive a Chrysler 300 at one time?  Uh huh.  :laugh:

Made in Germany with Merc E Class running gear over here.  :-X

PPS...the one photo I've seen of you and you were wearing jeans.  Forgot that jeans were invented in the USA by Levi Straus, did you??  :ROFL:

I don't wear American jeans as one seeks to avoid an eighteen inch rise and a baggy arse.  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 01:31:54 AM »
An American muscle car legend, made in the United States of America. 

As a matter of fact, I have owned many Mustangs. In fact, I have owned dozens of American cars and trucks. Example

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:15 AM »
and Tesla's,
That nobody buys.
Funny I saw two in L'viv last time I was there (2015) and this year I seem to remember three in Kivy. In Connecticut I get tired of seeing them sort of ordinary, now.

They opened a dealer recently in Manchester actually. I keep meaning to drop in out of idle curiosity.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 01:51:30 AM »
Good split  tiphat

Tesla as an inventor is an interesting link between Central Europe and The United States. The Tesla cars are good looking but pricey.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 02:38:55 AM »
Three US guys on holiday. note the absent "Gap" shorts.. probably had non in stock that weekend :laugh:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 03:04:09 AM »
Germany?  :chuckle: I don't think so.

When driving there, the stars, rings and BMW's are zooming past me but other than ford focus's and ford fiesta's i rarely see american muscle.

besides, who wants a mustang when you can buy a jaguar for less money.

A Ford Mustang 2.3 Starts at 50k, whilst the equivalent jaguar (xe) starts at 40k. (BMW 3-series 340i  = also 45k)

The ford mustang sports car you talk about comes in at 115k (V8 5.0L) whilst the comparable Jaguar (F-Type) comes in at 95k. A BMW M3 also comes in at 110k.)

Besides that, there's image. When people see a ford-mustang, its 'cheap american plastic wanna-be' , whilst driving a brand new jaguar or BMW-M series is 'wow, there goes money' , even if above pricing shows this is not neceserrily true.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 03:23:43 AM »
England has Rover, oh wait owned by the Chinese, Jaguar owned by an Indian firm,
But jags remain 'produced in brittain' , except for those in the chinese market.

http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/gl/en/innovation/production-operations/
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 03:25:20 AM »
Good split  tiphat

Tesla as an inventor is an interesting link between Central Europe and The United States. The Tesla cars are good looking but pricey.
Tesla's are wonderful. Designed by Lotus, so not American designed.

Tesla I would call one of the few totally world-wide western brands. Idea = USA, Manufactored in USA + Europe, design Europe.

https://www.teslamotors.com/nl_NL/blog/lotus-position

I love the quote :
We wanted the first Tesla car to handle like a proper sportscar, so we approached Lotus Cars, known to make the finest-handling sportscar on the road.

OO===[][]===OO

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 03:36:21 AM »
Germany?  :chuckle: I don't think so.

When driving there, the stars, rings and BMW's are zooming past me but other than ford focus's and ford fiesta's i rarely see american muscle.

besides, who wants a mustang when you can buy a jaguar for less money.

A Ford Mustang 2.3 Starts at 50k, whilst the equivalent jaguar (xe) starts at 40k. (BMW 3-series 340i  = also 45k)

The ford mustang sports car you talk about comes in at 115k (V8 5.0L) whilst the comparable Jaguar (F-Type) comes in at 95k. A BMW M3 also comes in at 110k.)

Besides that, there's image. When people see a ford-mustang, its 'cheap american plastic wanna-be' , whilst driving a brand new jaguar or BMW-M series is 'wow, there goes money' , even if above pricing shows this is not neceserrily true.

Mark.

If your going to quote Mustang numbers, you should do some home work.
First off they are no longer an import, some prices have come down quite a bit
for other countries. As far as the one in the photo above it is a 5.2 FPC engine, only other Manufactured car with this type of engine is a Ferrari,  M-3 can't touch it, nor and any Jag
including the new F type. And its less money, at least on this side of the pond.
The one in the picture above, you can't buy at local dealer, so not sure of import costs,
when able to import.

Oh and yes Mustang outsold all German sports cars in Germany :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Registration