The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Options for overseas communications  (Read 11694 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Options for overseas communications
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »
To be fair Yankee's examples probably don't fall into that group. Kinda like my dad - will not use the Internet on his fone. Happy as a clam with his tablet.

If we want to we can always find an exception to every case. However, I'd get rich betting against the proposition that any particular Ukrainian did not have Internet access, at a minimum using their mobile.

That's the issue with the OP's case. He is being led a dance and some here are helping him to justify his delusion. That's just not helpful or fair.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »
I didn't misread. So,  neither of these people has a mobile phone?
Even in Ukraine that's very unusual.

The chances are that they may choose to not use that which they have. As I am sure you'd agree that's not the same as not having the thing,  right?

Back in 2013 Internet access was over 75% of the population and mobile usage over 90%. As you know, these days, it is hard to have a mobile phone without Internet access. Such phones seem to cost more money than a cheap smart or feature phone.

I think we can agree that if these good people you know are genuine and have no phone that they are very unusual and from the very poorest, most disadvantaged section of society. I hope that you are generous enough to ensure that they have enough food to eat.

Don't forget all the young women in Ukraine, you know the ones in the expensive photo shoots with the latest clothing brands nice watches and manicures ... non of them have internet access on their phones.. :laugh:

The OP, does not seemed concerned about red flags.
Some men seem to think that the FSU ,is not yet in the 21st century.
Until they have visited, and spent time in country, they will tend to believe untruths, instead of sound advice.

This endeavor has many expenses, communication should be the least.
Again, in the last few years, I have been able to contact and communicate with only my smart phone. The cost other than my standard phone bill is zero.

If a woman is interested she will do her part to keep in touch.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Czenny

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
I can not say anything of small towns or villages in Ukraine but normally we have no problems with internet access at home (Wi-Fi), in the cafe, and certainly we have mobile internet (cheap enough) on smartphones or iPhones.
Much depends on material conditions of the family if you meet a very young girl. But I see young girls and boys speaking their smatphones on the streets. Ukrainians used to speak too much and loud. :laugh:

I think if some romantic feelings began between the two and they have some money problems it is naturally to use an ordinary post office, I mean --to write letters on paper. Why not? If it is love... people try to use everything, one may send letters every day.  :)

Livet är fullt av ironier.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
Czenny, you're about right. A rule of thumb here is this: if a person makes communication difficult then either the person isn't real or the 'relationship' is not. There's even less excuse now than 15 years ago but it was as true back then as it is today.

What gets my goat is this: I can understand that a bloke who knows nothing knows nothing but when his cluelessness is supported by people who do know better, well that's annoying.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 03:40:36 AM »
Matey, if she has a mobile phone then she isn't telling you the truth!

But, still, I am pretty sure that if she has a mobile phone then you are being lied to.

Andrewfi whilst you MIGHT be correct I'll bet you never thought to think .. does this woman have a smart phone ?

Until SC inherited an 'old' Samsung Note 2 from me ..in May 2015 - she quite happily existed on an ancient Alcatel - no internet, no Skype....

I see plenty of ladies with 2G phones - with no SKYPE facility.
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
Matey, if she has a mobile phone then she isn't telling you the truth!

The reason I suggested Skype up thread was that she can call you, on your mobile, form her mobile - through Skype which is ubiquitous in availability and dead easy to use. If she is unable to figure out how to call you for free through Skype than you can fund her calls to you through Skype credit, or, do as I do and get yourself a local phone number again through Skype, so she can call a local Ukrainian number.

But, still, I am pretty sure that if she has a mobile phone then you are being lied to.

I was not aware that you can obtain a foreign phone number through Skype.  That is something that I will look into.  BTW, I have not given her my phone number, so the calls will likely be made from my end and not by her.  Since I was going to make the call on my end, I was trying to determine how a foreign person with a mobile phone could minimize the access cost of a phone call from international origination.  For land line service, these calls would be totally free for international residents.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
I didn't misread. So,  neither of these people has a mobile phone?
Even in Ukraine that's very unusual.

The chances are that they may choose to not use that which they have. As I am sure you'd agree that's not the same as not having the thing,  right?

Back in 2013 Internet access was over 75% of the population and mobile usage over 90%. As you know, these days, it is hard to have a mobile phone without Internet access. Such phones seem to cost more money than a cheap smart or feature phone.

I think we can agree that if these good people you know are genuine and have no phone that they are very unusual and from the very poorest, most disadvantaged section of society. I hope that you are generous enough to ensure that they have enough food to eat.

I am one of those very few residents who do not have a mobile phone with internet access.    :o   Cost has nothing to do with it.  I choose not to stare down at a tiny screen while getting whacked on the head by a thief.   :scared0005:  It is very easy to have a mobile phone that just makes emergency calls when you need to.  I cannot say if I am from the most disadvantaged section of society in this country.  But, I will say that the work that I do impacts a very large segment of the population in the country.

Offline Manny

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 01:31:43 AM »
Since I was going to make the call on my end, I was trying to determine how a foreign person with a mobile phone could minimize the access cost of a phone call from international origination.

Nobody pays to receive international calls any more.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »
dcguyusa, however, mising the point entirely...
Data analysis lessons needed here too.
And maybe some help with the paranoia (persecution complex)?
You must live in a very disadvantaged environment if fear of violence for simply using a phone affects your purchase choice. There's loads of good reasons to not use a phone for Internet access, the reason why better off parts of the world tend to use larger screen devices.

You quite obviously are not bereft of Internet access though are you?

What kind of phone do you have, as a matter of interest?

Cue made up stories about secrecy, security, national interest etc etc. ;)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 02:50:20 AM »

Manny, you DO know that there are plans in the US and other nations whereby RECEIVING calls / texts DOES eat into one's per minute allowance at a local rate...  ?

..and there are far cheaper methods than Skype to communicate using a normal mobile -with clearer lines - One can buy a Moscow number for 3.5 USD / Month or a Ukraine number for 2 USD / Month and use a smart phone or PC to make receive calls where you have internet connection ... There's plenty of packages in UA / RU that are dirt cheap. We pay 5 USD for unlimited internet [ 4G where available] - no roaming within Russia , and a chuck of minutes / sms [texts] 

I have a Moscow and UK number and my smartphone shows me which number is being used to call and who is calling - as long as they do not withhold.

I also have a free of change NY area code number.

The only popular wife hunting nation that is awkward is Belarus.... I can get a mobile number there - but it costs 20 usd / month for the number - but thereafter all calls to other mobiles and land lines are free.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

Manny, you DO know that there are plans in the US and other nations whereby RECEIVING calls / texts DOES eat into one's per minute allowance at a local rate...  ?

We are talking about the FSU and the civilised world, not "plans" in the US.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 05:16:09 PM »
Since I was going to make the call on my end, I was trying to determine how a foreign person with a mobile phone could minimize the access cost of a phone call from international origination.

OK.  I will inform any international contacts that they do not have to worry about extra charges.

This is from my mobile calling plan.

"Unlimited calls and text to and from any number, including mobile phones, in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. PLUS use your monthly 4G LTE data in Mexico and Canada like in the U.S., at no extra charge."

There is a $15 per month option to call unlimited international destinations and there is a 20 cents per minute billing.  If you do not subscribe for the monthly fee plan, the per minute cost is $2.69 per minute.  :money:

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »
dcguyusa, however, mising the point entirely...
Data analysis lessons needed here too.
And maybe some help with the paranoia (persecution complex)?
You must live in a very disadvantaged environment if fear of violence for simply using a phone affects your purchase choice. There's loads of good reasons to not use a phone for Internet access, the reason why better off parts of the world tend to use larger screen devices.

You quite obviously are not bereft of Internet access though are you?

What kind of phone do you have, as a matter of interest?

Cue made up stories about secrecy, security, national interest etc etc. ;)

Mobile phone thefts are very common on public transportation locations. One guy was beaten and stabbed to death while riding during the afternoon hour.  I have internet access, just not on a mobile phone.  I have many relatives who have them (smart phones and tablets).  Some older than I am.  I have an outdated Nokia phone (small screen).  The kind that was popular in the early 2000s.  Back then, the internet access was usually free, although slow (ad sponsored).

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 01:17:23 AM »
We are talking about the FSU and the civilised world, not "plans" in the US.
The USA is Surprisingly enough, very backward when it comes to phones/internet etc.

I shake my head silently, when I hear what the USA pays for simple internet access and that they even have a 'data limit' on their lines.

I pay Eur-40 , for a 1GB unmetered no-limit internet line with my provider. On a normal month i do about 20 terabyte on the internet in data usage.

And my business does about the same , but more expensive, cause business line with uptime etc.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 01:36:57 AM »
I can only, once again shake my head in disappointment and disbelief and thank whatever deity that might guard over me that I live in over here in civilisation.

If I were so worried about my fellow citizens that I was scared to use a mobile phone then I think I'd understand that I lived in the wrong place and surrounded myself with the wrong people.

Time to be moving on from the Home Of The Brave and toward a civilised society.  :'(  :plane:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40:06 AM »
Mark, during peak goggle box hours USAians watching Netflix account for over 30% of all Internet traffic in the Land Of The Free. Somebody has to pay for that,  somehow and I doubt that the volume is going to decrease.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51:25 AM »
Mark, during peak goggle box hours USAians watching Netflix account for over 30% of all Internet traffic in the Land Of The Free. Somebody has to pay for that,  somehow and I doubt that the volume is going to decrease.

Tis part of the bigger problem yes.

My provider also only provides IPTV, I don't even have a choice , except for the Sat-Dish providing me with some missing channels.

So, if my provider can cough up the money to provide ONLY iptv , how on earth is it possible that USA providers  can't.

2 words: Maximize profit.

I am sure peering-data in Europe is equally less expensive than it is in USA. + 1 Good ISP took up the glove and fought the giants and won. (Xs4all). But then they were bought by a Dutch phone company (KPN) and I switched to the new hero: Tweak.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:12 AM »
Yeah but over here, in civilization, we are not quite so firmly glued to the boob tube. Maybe one day, but we will still be behind the curve, playing catch up to USAians who have TV screens embedded into their eyeballs. ;)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 05:35:02 AM »
I use my Russian phone where ever I go and have no need ever to change sim cards what ever country Im in and all the time it costs me nothing :)

I use Whats up for everything, never send text/sms messages no need for those, they are history!!

Phone calls are free where ever in the world, just need a Wi Fi point ... If you can't find Wi Fi every few meters well..

If I need to make a phone call without using whats up I will do so, but very seldom need to.

Even Skype is becoming outdated..

I cant think of any better option than Whats up at the moment.. and now its available on desk top to check photos/videos/messages who needs anything else  ;D

https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000621/Introducing-WhatsApps-desktop-app
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »
I use my Russian phone where ever I go and have no need ever to change sim cards what ever country Im in and all the time it costs me nothing :)

I use Whats up for everything, never send text/sms messages no need for those, they are history!!

Phone calls are free where ever in the world, just need a Wi Fi point ... If you can't find Wi Fi every few meters well..

If I need to make a phone call without using whats up I will do so, but very seldom need to.

I cant think of any better option than Whats up at the moment.. and now its available on desk top to check photos/videos/messages who needs anything else  ;D

Sounds not too dissimilar to WhatsApp. Is yours the dodgy Russian bogeyman version?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 06:19:13 AM »

Sounds not too dissimilar to WhatsApp. Is yours the dodgy Russian bogeyman version?

No its just me.. a simple person from the countryside  :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 07:24:20 AM »
Skype may be 'old hat' having been around for yonks but there's one service that I can always use, always contact people on and always works without me needing to use more than one service provider - Skype.
The network effect is huge, especially now that they are integrated into Facebook.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 07:37:56 AM »
I think WhatsApp   Are bringing video chat in soon. They have already nearly killed off sms/texting over less than 24 months..

Todays news is old news very fast.. I used to use ICQ about 14 years ago, loved it..they could of gone a long way. Not sure if it was a Russian company. Lack of investment and spending the profits probably ended that. I think Mail.ru own it now.

The next big thing will be wearable technology.. The Ukrainian women will be in your pocket all day..thats probably better than your wallet though.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
I think WhatsApp   Are bringing video chat in soon. They have already nearly killed off sms/texting over less than 24 months..

Todays news is old news very fast.. I used to use ICQ about 14 years ago, loved it..they could of gone a long way. Not sure if it was a Russian company. Lack of investment and spending the profits probably ended that. I think Mail.ru own it now.

The next big thing will be wearable technology.. The Ukrainian women will be in your pocket all day..thats probably better than your wallet though.

Old Chestnut time!!

Englishman, American and an Irishman playing golf, suddenly a phone rings, and the Englishman points his thumb to his ear and his little finger to his mouth and starts having a phone conversation.

After it's over he is asked, what was that? He says "Latest British technology, speaker implanted in my thumb, microphone in my litle finger.

All seem impressed then a phone rings again, the American just starts talking and after he's finished the others ask what was that?

The American says "Latest US technology, speaker implanted in my ear, microphone in my lip"

Again, all seem very impressed. Then a phone rings again, and suddenly the Irishman disappears into some bushes. Some minutes pass without his return so they go to investigate, and see the Irishman with his trousers round his ankles and toilet paper hanging out of his arse.

The Irishman says "Do you mind, I'm expecting a fax........"
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »

Old Chestnut time!!

Englishman, American and an Irishman playing golf, suddenly a phone rings, and the Englishman points his thumb to his ear and his little finger to his mouth and starts having a phone conversation.

After it's over he is asked, what was that? He says "Latest British technology, speaker implanted in my thumb, microphone in my litle finger.

All seem impressed then a phone rings again, the American just starts talking and after he's finished the others ask what was that?

The American says "Latest US technology, speaker implanted in my ear, microphone in my lip"

Again, all seem very impressed. Then a phone rings again, and suddenly the Irishman disappears into some bushes. Some minutes pass without his return so they go to investigate, and see the Irishman with his trousers round his ankles and toilet paper hanging out of his arse.

The Irishman says "Do you mind, I'm expecting a fax........"

:bow: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen