The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Options for overseas communications  (Read 11735 times)

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
Options for overseas communications
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
Hello
This is my first opening topic that I have posted.  I did not find another topic that seemed to provide the answer to the question that I have.  If it was addressed earlier, please provide me the link.  Thank you in advance.   tiphat

My question is about what options are available to communicate with someone overseas?  There are the obvious ones - email, phone, video chat, postal mail, and a face to face meeting.  I have a lady who I got off from the agency site and corresponded with her by private email.  She said that she uses a wifi public connection to get online sometimes, so it would not be convenient for her to use video chat (such as Skype and Viber).  She provided to me her cell phone number to call her.  For international cell phone calls, the cellular company often tacks on a heavy surcharge for those calls whether you call out or receive the call.  I think the land line service will only bill the calling out side, but not sure if she has a land line phone or not.  She asked her cell phone company about international service and the cost was rather expensive (based on the local currency).  Does anyone have a suggestion to any cheap communication alternatives for someone in Ukraine?  Thanks.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Options for overseas communications
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
Hello
This is my first opening topic that I have posted.  I did not find another topic that seemed to provide the answer to the question that I have.  If it was addressed earlier, please provide me the link.  Thank you in advance.   tiphat

My question is about what options are available to communicate with someone overseas?  There are the obvious ones - email, phone, video chat, postal mail, and a face to face meeting.  I have a lady who I got off from the agency site and corresponded with her by private email.  She said that she uses a wifi public connection to get online sometimes, so it would not be convenient for her to use video chat (such as Skype and Viber).  She provided to me her cell phone number to call her.  For international cell phone calls, the cellular company often tacks on a heavy surcharge for those calls whether you call out or receive the call.  I think the land line service will only bill the calling out side, but not sure if she has a land line phone or not.  She asked her cell phone company about international service and the cost was rather expensive (based on the local currency).  Does anyone have a suggestion to any cheap communication alternatives for someone in Ukraine?  Thanks.

Sorry there is a basic disconnect from reality.

I have dated numerous women and am now married to a woman who lives in Kiev. We communicate for more less free with Skype and Viber, as well as Message service of FaceBook. Again all are free. She has one device that I gave her and two devices that she bought with her own money to do this. In fact all the devices cost less than if acquired in Western Europe or North America. If a woman, man, French poddle or ewok refuses to communicate via these above methods there is something rotten.

If you want a low cost service I would look at the T-Mobile international plan, I think about $60 unlimited calls in and out per month, but again you/she does not really need it. The reason I have this service is because some people I speak with need a recording of the conversation.

But all what you describe is wasted effort and money until you say what date you will be on the plane to Ukraine or Russia.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »
Back before Skype etc. and continuing to the present time we use a local "International Calling Card" to call family in Ukraine.  For land lines a $5 CDN card will provide 30 minutes local time in Ukraine.  For Cell phones it gives about 5 minutes air time.  This is a simple way to connect and see if the family is available to connect on Skype.

When calling to Russia the available time expands to about 10 times what is provided in Ukraine!

As far as I can tell there is no cost to the receiving line in Ukraine or elsewhere for such incoming calls.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »
Whats up! Its totally free to make calls all over the world.. I think days of women only having access to public WI Fi are over.. Everyone has internet at home now?? Its like 200 roubles a month in our block to get going, its nearly free!!
Even all the old babushkas have internet at home today?
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:04:33 AM »
Whats up! Its totally free to make calls all over the world.. I think days of women only having access to public WI Fi are over.. Everyone has internet at home now?? Its like 200 roubles a month in our block to get going, its nearly free!!

Do you have 'social Internet packages' over there?
We do. They are designed so that even poor folks can go online. Dead cheap, and service is as good as top end was half a decade ago. Internet for grannies and unemployed. Mind you, these days even that is probably no longer really necessary. I now pay €4 per month for the following, on my fone:

3000 minutes Telia network
3000 SMS or MMS Telia network
1 GB Internet
Package price € 4

Set your darling up with a Skype account from your end, keep it funded for a few dollars a month and she can jibber jabber away to your heart's content for, effectively, free.
If your bint is putting up objections then she is not real, or if real, is not interested in you. Same thing really!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »

We do. They are designed so that even poor folks can go online. Dead cheap, and service is as good as top end was half a decade ago. Internet for grannies and unemployed. Mind you, these days even that is probably no longer really necessary. I now pay €4 per month for the following, on my fone:

1 GB Internet
Package price € 4

Set your darling up with a Skype account from your end, keep it funded for a few dollars a month and she can jibber jabber away to your heart's content for, effectively, free.
If your bint is putting up objections then she is not real, or if real, is not interested in you. Same thing really!

I use three internet providers each one is about 500 roubles a month and includes 100 tv channels as one is for the kids.  But you you can get a basic package for about 100Roubles with 50 tv channels so everyone can afford it!
We never use any text or phone calls , just use Whats up for everything. I think Skype has had its days now they need some serious marketing cos they are loosing their market share to whats up fast.. just like texting.. who uses texting today? Nobody hardly..

Since I have been in Russia I have yet to visit any household that doesn't have internet access..

Offline yankee

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »

1 GB Internet
Package price € 4

I use three internet providers each one is about 500 roubles a month and includes 100 tv channels as one is for the kids.  But you you can get a basic package for about 100Roubles with 50 tv channels so everyone can afford it!
We never use any text or phone calls , just use Whats up for everything. I think Skype has had its days now they need some serious marketing cos they are loosing their market share to whats up fast.. just like texting.. who uses texting today? Nobody hardly..

Since I have been in Russia I have yet to visit any household that doesn't have internet access..

I know of several that do not have internet access
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »

1 GB Internet
Package price € 4

Obviously you and me mix with different social circles  ;D

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 04:02:18 PM »
We use voipwise for calling to Ukrainian landlines or cellphones.  Skype also has an option for placing calls to landlines or cell phones but is a bit more expensive last Time I looked. 

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.  Note that not everyone here in the USA has internet service and many not for profits and working poor have difficulties with getting reasonably priced internet access.  Cable, satellite, and FIOS are not cheap.  :money: Dial-up is the only really cheap service, but it is SLOW.  I do not have a Voip service line, but will look into the online services that use that technology.

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
I have never had an issue communicating with anyone in the FSU.
Moldova, Ukraine ,Russia Tajikistan all had internet access.
Maybe 10 years ago it might have been an issue but I find it difficult to believe a young woman in Ukraine would not be able to access the internet without a problem.
IF you used a  pay to play dating site to find this woman you need to ask yourself  how she accessed her account?  And how often she was active on the site during the time you first started communication?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
I have never had an issue communicating with anyone in the FSU.
Moldova, Ukraine ,Russia Tajikistan all had internet access.
Maybe 10 years ago it might have been an issue but I find it difficult to believe a young woman in Ukraine would not be able to access the internet without a problem.
IF you used a  pay to play dating site to find this woman you need to ask yourself  how she accessed her account?  And how often she was active on the site during the time you first started communication?

Accessing the internet was not a problem for her, it was the cost associated with using international call on her mobile phone that was the issue.  Like for my T-Mobile phone plan, it is extra to make out of the USA calls.  There are probably calling plans that include international service, but it is extra cost.  She said that she accessed her account at a public wifi location.  Her profile was not that old on the dating site (I think about a few months).  After she provided me her mobile phone number, her profile has been inactive since that time.  She does email me through her private email (yandex.ru account) after her profile has been inactive at the dating site.

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
I'm sure you should be able to find discount phone card service.
I used the link below to get super low rates to Russia.
Ukraine has to have something similar.

https://www.allorussia.com/?_language=en&gclid=CjwKEAjw3qu5BRC-0uCw8O6Y5zcSJAA_WtdLwtV2KLkclhf0jIanhzCcnW2pvHbB0paiMS-LbkfT9RoC0uPw_wcB

http://allorussia.com/apps_voice?gclid=CjwKEAjw3qu5BRC-0uCw8O6Y5zcSJAA_WtdLktz1quTdgTXyIA4WOSVKOxEpBqvbk9CBRXKJBK6F-BoC0gLw_wcB

The rate shown to call to a Ukraine mobile phone line is almost 32 cents per minute.  I think I can find a lower rate.

Offline yankee

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »

Skype charges to Russia from the US

land line  2.3¢/min† 

cell phone   10¢/min†

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.  Note that not everyone here in the USA has internet service and many not for profits and working poor have difficulties with getting reasonably priced internet access.  Cable, satellite, and FIOS are not cheap.  :money: Dial-up is the only really cheap service, but it is SLOW.  I do not have a Voip service line, but will look into the online services that use that technology.

I thought everyone in the US is wealthy , there is no poverty? The land of milk and honey, democracy and freedom ...
Sex and the City and all that   :)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »

I thought everyone in the US is wealthy , there is no poverty? The land of milk and honey, democracy and freedom ...
Sex and the City and all that   :)

The richest country in the World is Ireland, cos it's Capital is always Dublin.

Geddit?

Shall I get my coat?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »

Skype charges to Russia from the US

land line  2.3¢/min† 

cell phone   10¢/min†

International costs for calls and text messages vary by country. For example, calls to Ukraine cost 13.7 cents per minute, while text messages are 6.6 cents per message. Calls to Germany are 2.3 cents per minute, while text messages are 12.7 cents per message. Calls to North Korea are 70 cents per minute, while text messages are 9.7 cents per message. Both domestic and international call rates are cheaper if you purchase a monthly Skype subscription.

Spend 70 cents per minute to wish Kim Jong Un the best in the Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea.   (:)  :bow:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »
Hello

Get on a plane, figure out if you like her.

If you do, start paying for her internet @ home & laptop, its the cheapest option in the long run.

My wife skypes with my mother in law daily. She lives in Crimea, works like a charm.

Mark
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 05:08:54 AM »

I'd venture to suggest that you know several (whats?) who TELL you they do not have Internet access - that's a different thing. ;)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 05:13:16 AM »
Matey, if she has a mobile phone then she isn't telling you the truth!

The reason I suggested Skype up thread was that she can call you, on your mobile, form her mobile - through Skype which is ubiquitous in availability and dead easy to use. If she is unable to figure out how to call you for free through Skype than you can fund her calls to you through Skype credit, or, do as I do and get yourself a local phone number again through Skype, so she can call a local Ukrainian number.

But, still, I am pretty sure that if she has a mobile phone then you are being lied to.

Offline yankee

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »

I'd venture to suggest that you know several (whats?) who TELL you they do not have Internet access - that's a different thing. ;)

Perhaps you misread what I wrote?  Two examples are my MIL and my wife's best friend.

Offline Czenny

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 07:26:40 AM »
One may call from Ukraine to USA using Kievstar mobile company, it is not expensive at all, here is a link
http://www.Kievstar.ua/en/kr-620/mm/international/ : Profitable calls abroad with the service Favourite countries.

Livet är fullt av ironier.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
I didn't misread. So,  neither of these people has a mobile phone?
Even in Ukraine that's very unusual.

The chances are that they may choose to not use that which they have. As I am sure you'd agree that's not the same as not having the thing,  right?

Back in 2013 Internet access was over 75% of the population and mobile usage over 90%. As you know, these days, it is hard to have a mobile phone without Internet access. Such phones seem to cost more money than a cheap smart or feature phone.

I think we can agree that if these good people you know are genuine and have no phone that they are very unusual and from the very poorest, most disadvantaged section of society. I hope that you are generous enough to ensure that they have enough food to eat.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »
I didn't misread. So,  neither of these people has a mobile phone?
Even in Ukraine that's very unusual.

The chances are that they may choose to not use that which they have. As I am sure you'd agree that's not the same as not having the thing,  right?

Back in 2013 Internet access was over 75% of the population and mobile usage over 90%. As you know, these days, it is hard to have a mobile phone without Internet access. Such phones seem to cost more money than a cheap smart or feature phone.

I think we can agree that if these good people you know are genuine and have no phone that they are very unusual and from the very poorest, most disadvantaged section of society. I hope that you are generous enough to ensure that they have enough food to eat.

Don't forget all the young women in Ukraine, you know the ones in the expensive photo shoots with the latest clothing brands nice watches and manicures ... non of them have internet access on their phones.. :laugh:

Registration