The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Grand Prix 2016  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Russian Grand Prix 2016
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
Great photos Moby, thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.  Especially if the American team does well (I doubt it with Ferrari and McClaren and Honda there). 
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
^^

Personally I feel that F1 belongs on an F1 forum, and should not clutter up a forum such as this.. :coffeeread:

Disagree.  The F1 race is in Sochi and Sochi is in Russia which last time I checked is part of the former Soviet Union.  Furthermore if this forum adhered to especially strict subject posting matter it might turn to tumbleweeds and crickets. (more so than it sometimes is)  :laugh:

Your opinion of course....

It also rains and snows a lot in Russia, maybe we should begin posting photo's of such events.. :chuckle:

If it was snowing at the Olympics maybe we should.  Oh, that's right we already did.  Seems to me that the Olympics in Russia and a Formula 1 race are major events, however to each his own.

I am not criticising the standard of the photo's, they are good.

There are many major sporting events in Russia, in which countries from all over the world take part in, and probably more patronised, Tennis, golf, football, ice hockey, ice dance, basketball, biathlon, to name just a few, but if all of these sports were reported upon, the forum would become more akin to BBC sports page..

Offline Anteros

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »
^^

Personally I feel that F1 belongs on an F1 forum, and should not clutter up a forum such as this.. :coffeeread:

Disagree.  The F1 race is in Sochi and Sochi is in Russia which last time I checked is part of the former Soviet Union.  Furthermore if this forum adhered to especially strict subject posting matter it might turn to tumbleweeds and crickets. (more so than it sometimes is)  :laugh:

Your opinion of course....

It also rains and snows a lot in Russia, maybe we should begin posting photo's of such events.. :chuckle:

If it was snowing at the Olympics maybe we should.  Oh, that's right we already did.  Seems to me that the Olympics in Russia and a Formula 1 race are major events, however to each his own.

I am not criticising the standard of the photo's, they are good.

There are many major sporting events in Russia, in which countries from all over the world take part in, and probably more patronised, Tennis, golf, football, ice hockey, ice dance, basketball, biathlon, to name just a few, but if all of these sports were reported upon, the forum would become more akin to BBC sports page..

Well all I can say is that different people have different interests.  At one time this forum was really very active but then the invasion of Crimea and Eastern Ukraine changed all of that. 

In fact we actually did routinely talk about Russian tennis, at least if it was some gal in a skimpy outfit.  Larry rounded up some of those and I did my best to contribute as well. 

So to break up the excruciating pain and monotony of arguing with people chained to a wall in Plato's cave and watching shadows on the wall, every now and then it's nice to see something different.  :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
And we got The Tour De Yorkshire on Sunday to look forward to.

:chuckle:

Online msmoby

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 11:55:42 PM »
Great photos Moby, thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.  Especially if the American team does well (I doubt it with Ferrari and McLaren and Honda there).

Anteros,

Haas have impressed and have a close relationship with Ferrari - they have more points than McLaren - who are toiling as Honda 'race' to catch up with the hybrid engine technology.

Haas will be starting further up the grid, next year..at this rate - higher up than McLaren - for now..

Offline Jerash

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »
Formula 1 is one of the single largest sporting events in the world.  As a single event, there will be few if any that rival it in Russia (and elsewhere).

Moby - in a few hours the cars will be revving up!  Please let us know how it is and photos too!  Can't wait.  Hope to see Ferrari mount a challenge, but with Daniil on the podium last time, would love to see the Russian move even higher at his home race!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:31 AM »
Really, the only thing that is keeping me interested in F1, is the technological advances that make it possible to improve normal road-cars with them.

Thats also why some new rules exist, to make sure the technology is more than just "biggest engine, baddest breaks".

Max Verstappen is also a star on the rise, he does really well in a B-team like torro-rosso with sub-standard equipment.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 03:07:38 AM »
Let's face it, we only watch it for the crashes!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online msmoby

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 03:51:46 AM »
Let's face it, we only watch it for the crashes!

..speed and razzmatazz.. 

and 50 percent of the crowd ..

I was allowed to watch Free Practice 1 from a VIP box.

I was right over Carlos Sainz Jnr's pit box..

The trains to here are free - with a ticket and the track was packed..

Russia has two guys out on the track, today...

Sergey Sirotkin is the Renault test driver ... but he was quicker than Britain's Joylon Palmer - who is having a torrid time and needs to watch out - lest he finds the young Russian impressed, too much

Britain's Lewis Hamilton finished second in Free Practice 1 - this photo does no justice to the speed these guys are doing ...

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09:05 AM »
Great photos Moby, thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.  Especially if the American team does well (I doubt it with Ferrari and McLaren and Honda there).

Anteros,

Haas have impressed and have a close relationship with Ferrari - they have more points than McLaren - who are toiling as Honda 'race' to catch up with the hybrid engine technology.

Haas will be starting further up the grid, next year..at this rate - higher up than McLaren - for now..

Haas have had a great start to the year and they're essentially a customer Ferrari having bought every possible part available under the current rules. Not sure I agree with this when you see independents making everything from scratch and being outperformed.

Traditionally, the first 3/4 races often allow surprise results and this year is no different. In the past, Sauber have had great starts only to be caught up. Haas struggled in round 3 at China and fared little better in FP1 this weekend. It's early days but whilst Haas have points on the board, McLaren Honda are starting to look the better package.

Lets see how the season unfolds but we're only 3 races in.

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 04:10:20 AM »
Great photo's BTW Moby....keep em coming in.

Online msmoby

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 06:49:46 AM »
Free Practice 2 ..

I am forbidden to take photos - as TV companies and other media companies have the rights to take photos in the pit lane ... but not me  :(

So, I roamed the Paddock looking for 'celebs' ...sorry - if you aren't an F1 fan - this might be meaningless..

Ex F1 driver, turned TV pundit DC..David Coulthard... he looks a little 'angry' that some 'pleb' is taking his photo ..

McLaren Honda Racing Director - Éric Boullier

Carlos Sainz Jnr- talking to David Coulthard

Media Centre staff

Online msmoby

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 08:33:05 AM »
After free practice 2 - where Lewis Hamilton came out on top - and Seb Vettels' Ferrari died on the main straight - just after setting the - then - fastest time, I went down to the Paddock to listen to the interviews ...Unlike most circuits - you can get RIGHT up close ... Nico Rosberg - bumped into me when dashing to the TV interview session - were Lewis was already chatting to the TV companies  :o

Lewis Hamilton

'Checo' Perez

Offline Jerash

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »

I would have come to Russia two weeks later and then headed to Sochi if I knew my romantic adventure there was going to end in failure, with me back in Moscow killing time for a week.....

The lady from Izhevsk was not to be, is that correct?

If so, never mind, there are many others I would suggest..

Maybe you should take a summer vacation in Crimea, would think that will become a "Nest" area..

Luck for the future... :thumbsup:

Thanks Gipsy. Indeed, Izhevsk did not work out and I flew back to Moscow a week early. A little disappointing as this was our second meeting and things had been going well.

Something tells me that a potential suitor is always going to have an uphill challenge when there is an 11 year old involved, as the child will be naturally biased against anyone he or she perceives to be competing for their mother's attention. So, I'm still on the hunt for Miss Right and I hope you're right about the many others out there.

Online msmoby

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
So, today was Free Practice 3 and Qualifying for tomorrow's race.

I went to my 'secret' VIP place - but the 'secret' had got out ... lots of Russians started taking photos - this is counted at pit-side and we haven't paid for such rights.... so the inevitable happened when they ignored security men asking them to stop - we all got kicked out ....  :(

I went to the Press cafe and watched the qualifying, there - but as I wanted Jenson Button to get in the top 10...He got 11th - and Hamilton will start 10th - as he had another engine problem - second in a row - he will start 10th  :(

I rushed to the press tv room and was one of the only guys allowed in before the doors were locked to the press... there were only 4 reporters in the room.  :o

Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel was larking about as Valtteri Bottas was interviewed by SKY's Ted Kravitz and he missed them shaking hands - as if confirming a bet ... I wish some of the reporters had noticed it ...I'd love to know what they said / agreed.

I met an interesting Thai lady - I hoped she would buy the Thai Bhat I can't change in Russia - but she was more interested in promoting her product - Coconut Milk - and gave me a can ... She is modelling her own product. :o

I am ready for tomorrow, I practised with the Podium girls ...

Lastly - and this will have certain posters falling about with ironic laughter... I was asked to do announcements - in English for the spectators tomorrow on the P.A.

So, listen out for,  '' Dear guests! Soon, the twenty - sixteen  FORMULA ONE Russian Grand Prix will commence . Please, return to your seats - to be ready, to be upstanding for the Russian National Anthem at 2.45.''   :shock: