The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to check the Ukrainian companies register?  (Read 5827 times)

Offline garibaldi

How to check the Ukrainian companies register?
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »
I find this forum very interesting. Hopefully someone can help me with my query.

I agreed to become director of an Ukrainian company some time back. After all the due diligence was done I was told "it never happened". How can I check that my details weren't used without my knowledge? Is there some way of checking the register, and if there is can a search be done by surname? Thanks!

Offline Gipsy

Re: How to check the Ukrainian companies register?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »
I find this forum very interesting. Hopefully someone can help me with my query.

I agreed to become director of an Ukrainian company some time back. After all the due diligence was done I was told "it never happened". How can I check that my details weren't used without my knowledge? Is there some way of checking the register, and if there is can a search be done by surname? Thanks!

Hi & welcome,

I suggest that a registered Ukrainian lawyer/accountant could be your best bet.

You may also e-mail The State Registrar of Ukraine, who may also offer such a service.

Hope this helps you.. sorry that its not much..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
Become a director of a Ukrainian company!!! Who in their right mind would ever want to do that?
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:24:39 AM »

Hi, I don't know your location - but this UK based co. helps folks make Ukrainian legal entities, so I guess they might be able to help..

Good luck
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
Become a director of a Ukrainian company!!! Who in their right mind would ever want to do that?

Did you read the question - or has it been a slow day ?...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline yankee

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »

Vice President Joesph Biden son???? :-X
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »
You need an accountant and lawyer to research this.

Curious was this Ukraine facing entity or a division of an International entity.

If the former did you need to invest any funds with this entity?

Did you meet the other potential officers and executives?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 03:02:19 AM »

Vice President Joesph Biden son???? :-X

:offtopic:

The discussion is about People in their right minds if you please... :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 03:42:00 AM »
Hang on a moment.

You did due diligence and then you were told that you were not a director and never had been.

Seems to me as though there's a step or two missing here. (Like, when did you accept the offer!)

Of course, when you accepted such an offer there will have been an exchange of documents, witnessed and notarised. Where are your copies?

One other step missing: when you did your due diligence you'd have looked in the Ukrainian registry of companies, that's an essential step. You already know how to do what you are asking us about because you have already done it.
If you did not carry out this step then you did not carry out due diligence and you have been mugged by somebody, for some reason.

Come on, truth up! What is really going on here?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Texan77

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 07:07:23 AM »

Steveboy is so out of it he can not believe there are many people in the Ukraine who go to work everyday and earn an honest living. Some of these people own sizable business that do honest work. On Monday 11th my girl received her keys to her new apartment which we bought in December unfinished. The building is the third building to be finished in a project of five buildings. They have been in business for many years and hire hard working Ukrainians that do real work. They completed our section a week ahead of schedule. This is a sizable real company and is only one of many in Ukraine. Sure there are a lot of workers in Ukraine that will rip you off if you give them a chance like everywhere else. It takes local experience and cultural understanding to run a successful business in Ukraine which I am smart enough not to try.  Steveboy is just jealous because no one with a real or even not so real company anywhere in the world wants him to be on the board of directors of anything.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
Hang on a moment.

You did due diligence and then you were told that you were not a director and never had been.

Seems to me as though there's a step or two missing here. (Like, when did you accept the offer!)

Of course, when you accepted such an offer there will have been an exchange of documents, witnessed and notarised. Where are your copies?

One other step missing: when you did your due diligence you'd have looked in the Ukrainian registry of companies, that's an essential step. You already know how to do what you are asking us about because you have already done it.
If you did not carry out this step then you did not carry out due diligence and you have been mugged by somebody, for some reason.

Come on, truth up! What is really going on here?

There is allot more going on with the initial post that we will never be aware of. Was it a scam? I would like to hear the details.

I showed the first post to Julia and she said it is a bad translation, the principals wanted to say we have selected another director for the job but it came out "it never happened". Personally I think there was a scam involved by a less than careful Garibaldi, I also doubt we will ever hear.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
We do seem to be drifting a bit.

The chap asked:

Apart from using a lawyer, perhaps someones Ukrainian wife can Google if there is an online version of Companies House there or similar?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »

The chap asked:

Apart from using a lawyer, perhaps someones Ukrainian wife can Google if there is an online version of Companies House there or similar?

Reply No1... :whist11:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »

The chap asked:

Yes we are drifting (or speculating) but there is precious little information from the initial post.

And yes there is a registration of corporate entities, but it seems to be broken into groups i.e. single individual, limited number of employees, Ukraine corporation as opposed to a foreign based entity and so on. Each is an individual database located in the capital of each oblast. With the information we have perhaps looking for a needle in haystack might be more rewarding.

My suspicions is Garibaldi is a drive by poster.

Offline garibaldi

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 03:45:37 AM »
Hello, I'm driving by again! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm not sure if the suggestion is that I am somehow involved in a scam (I love you too) or that someone was trying to scam me.

For the record when I mentioned due diligence it meant due diligence performed on me to see if I was a fit and proper person to be appointed as director of an Ukrainian company.

From what I gather from the replies to the actual question, as opposed to any inferred questions, the answer seems to be "no" i.e. there is no way to check the entire companies register online and other than going through a lawyer, which is probably an expensive way of finding out nothing happened, there seems to be no way of checking if I've been surreptitiously appointed to some board or other.

PS

AvHdB, thanks for the info but if Julia is your translator, get a new one!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 03:57:24 AM »

Steveboy is so out of it he can not believe there are many people in the Ukraine who go to work everyday and earn an honest living. Some of these people own sizable business that do honest work. On Monday 11th my girl received her keys to her new apartment which we bought in December unfinished. The building is the third building to be finished in a project of five buildings. They have been in business for many years and hire hard working Ukrainians that do real work. They completed our section a week ahead of schedule. This is a sizable real company and is only one of many in Ukraine. Sure there are a lot of workers in Ukraine that will rip you off if you give them a chance like everywhere else. It takes local experience and cultural understanding to run a successful business in Ukraine which I am smart enough not to try.  Steveboy is just jealous because no one with a real or even not so real company anywhere in the world wants him to be on the board of directors of anything.

How do you know nobody wants me to be on their board of directors?  :laugh:

As I say to many go to Ukraine and make a business with those hard working local folk let me know how you get on in 5/10 years , some how I don't think you would have a lot to say.
Im not saying all are lazy buggers in Ukraine! Its the same in Russia and the UK, the place is full of idol buggers who don't want to do a hard days work thats usual all over the world today.
But Ukraine tops the list for trying to do business with and getting ripped off for sure..

I know foreigners running businesses in Ukraine..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 04:16:18 AM »
So, it didn't happen.

As to whether people might use your info, well, yes. Of course they can.

You didn't do your due diligence, you gave information about your circumstances to strangers. Your sensible option now is to assume that information will be used in ways that you can not imagine.

Now you need to start cleaning up. Change information that is not public, tell your bank, credit issuers, suppliers and customers what has happened. Set up an account with a service that monitors your credit record and other personal information.

I can imagine the info you provided and, given that, can imagine the profitable fun to be had at your expense.

Future precautions would include actually doing the stuff that a responsible company director would do such as carrying out due diligence checks before giving out information that could compromise you or your business activities.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »

A good starting point might be here  http://irc.gov.ua/en/Poshuk-v-YeDR.html and here   https://usr.minjust.gov.ua/  this also may help http://www.gbrdirect.co.uk/Registries/CompanySearchUkraine.aspx   but you could also ask a Ukrainian lawyer to carry out a search, it won't cost much at all.
Слава Україні

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
From the perspective of his 'real' problem though, that information is not much help.

Problem is that he did not do his own checking but he obviously thinks they are somewhat shonky. I'd be asking myself just why I was asked to be a director, what was the basis for their choice. If I did not have a good justification for that then I'd be thinking I had just done something very silly.

Even if the company is registered what protection does that give him?
It does not stop his information being used to open accounts with suppliers, getting credit cards or even running a long firm con with him as the puppet.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
From the perspective of his 'real' problem though, that information is not much help.

Problem is that he did not do his own checking but he obviously thinks they are somewhat shonky. I'd be asking myself just why I was asked to be a director, what was the basis for their choice. If I did not have a good justification for that then I'd be thinking I had just done something very silly.

Even if the company is registered what protection does that give him?
It does not stop his information being used to open accounts with suppliers, getting credit cards or even running a long firm con with him as the puppet.

True! but it's at least a bit more information that may help him somewhat than he had a few days ago. What he does with it is up to him of course. You can lead a horse..........
Слава Україні

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »

True! but it's at least a bit more information that may help him somewhat than he had a few days ago. What he does with it is up to him of course. You can lead a horse..........

Also true!

Good luck Garibaldi!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »
Hello, I'm driving by again! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm not sure if the suggestion is that I am somehow involved in a scam (I love you too) or that someone was trying to scam me.

For the record when I mentioned due diligence it meant due diligence performed on me to see if I was a fit and proper person to be appointed as director of an Ukrainian company.

From what I gather from the replies to the actual question, as opposed to any inferred questions, the answer seems to be "no" i.e. there is no way to check the entire companies register online and other than going through a lawyer, which is probably an expensive way of finding out nothing happened, there seems to be no way of checking if I've been surreptitiously appointed to some board or other.

PS

AvHdB, thanks for the info but if Julia is your translator, get a new one!

Julia is allot more than my translator.

I think your post is a wonderful expose on how not to proceed in business in the former Soviet Union. Whether you invested funds or time.

In the meantime I would suggest renewing your hack license and perhaps take a class in English usage.

Registration