The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Suicide bomb attack at Russian police station  (Read 257 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Suicide bomb attack at Russian police station
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »
Suicide bomb attack at Russian police station

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/11/suicide-bomb-attack-at-russian-police-station-stavropol
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Suicide bomb attack at Russian police station
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
Yeah, a bit careless though, wasn't it?
I mean, it was a real suicide, nobody else killed.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:58 AM »

Pretty much.

3 gunmen killed in botched attack on Russian police station

https://www.rt.com/news/339156-russia-police-attack-suicide/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »

This is often a learning process. The group very well might have some more missed attacks until they learn how to do this or get outside help. They went after a police station which was a hard target next time they might go after a softer target or have a better plan. Hopefully the Kremlin can get to the roots of the group and stop them from getting better in the future.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

I'm not sure "competence" can really be all that expected from a guy who has agreed to kill himself--which is a good thing.  Recall Richard Reid (the "Shoe-icide" guy) could have been successful if he'd simply locked himself in the lav at altitude before lighting up the explosives in his shoes.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:37 AM »
It reminds me of the Weathermen Underground, run in part by Obama's buddy William "own goal" Ayers: they were making grenades and planned to throw them at  soldiers at a dance party. Instead they blew up themselves while preparing them. Only the fact that Bill Ayers was not in the apartment at the time kept him from being a casualty.
Anchors Rewoven

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
Whilst there might be a learning curve it is rather self limiting, for somewhat obvious reasons.

These people have text books and online learning materials, their equipment is usually manufactured for them by folks who know their business. The self directed weapons (men) need to know very little about the practice of their tasks, merely enough to get on a bus to a destination and how to walk.

It will be interesting to find out why the attack failed because self destruction is about the easiest form of attack to mount and police stations are hardly the most difficult targets in the world. These fellows failed at the doorway, they had reached the target. Methinks there is stuff here we do not know and will never know.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus