The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Heading to Moscow  (Read 848 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: 1-5
Heading to Moscow
« on: April 10, 2016, 01:35:31 AM »
I unexpectedly will be arriving in Moscow tonight, probably staying for a week.

I don't even know what I need to know yet. Currently looking for accommodation.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Heading to Moscow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »

If your looking for the best accommodation at a reasonable rate I would recommend

http://www.izmailovo.ru/eng/

You can book a 4 star room for about $60.00 Its just four stops up on the blue line Partizanskaya , step outside of the metro and your there  ;D

:thumbsup:

Offline Jerash

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
Thanks Steveboy. How's the area in terms of pubs, cafes, restaurants and whatnot?

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 01:12:55 AM »

You may be here by now, but ex-pat Moscow living folk recommend

http://www.kvartira-gostinitsa.ru/ for short term apt rentals or airbnb

and http://www.tomoscow.com/metro.html

For hotels based on proximity to metro stns..

If you seek an apt hotel

The Orekhovo Hotel in southern Moscow is a clean and nice economy option . There are free transfers to/from Domodedovo Airport and it is near major Metro stations such as Orekhovo and Domodedovskaya

Our own personal recommendation - if arriving departing from SVO ..also free transfers to and from the airport - so you can arrive at the airport ...crash within minutes and take the fast airport link train into Moscow - when recovered..

http://aviatorshotel.com/en/rooms

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:10:29 AM »
Thanks Steveboy. How's the area in terms of pubs, cafes, restaurants and whatnot?

Moscow is a big place... what ever you you want or what ever your into is there..probably best to just Google.

But I can recommend a great restaurant in Moscow city http://en.ginza.ru/msk/restaurant/Sixty

Its on the 60th floor of the Federation tower the highest in Europe, the views are great. I was there last weekend. :)

Offline Danchik

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:59:39 AM »
Jerash,

If you want to be closer to the action I would recommend finding a place closer to the center (Arbat/Tverskaya). There's not much in the way of clubs, bars or restaurants out by Izmailovskaya, only some small places to eat. There is a nice park by metro Izmailovskaya.

There are plenty of places around the Arbat and Tverskaya that won't be much more than the Hotel Izmailovo, yet much more convenient, and much closer to the action. 

Bar Sixty is nice (I work in that complex - Moscow City), with one of the best views of the city, but you will pay for that view. I also wouldn't recommend going to that place alone unless you have big bucks like Steveboy ;D. One big positive; all the women you see there will speak English.

Here are the areas I would recommend to stay for what I think you're looking for: Arbat, Tverskaya, Smolenskaka, Belorusskaya, Mayokovskaya, Kitay Gorod, and Chistie Purdy.

There are others besides the aforementioned, but you need to be more specific about your needs. Basically stay anywhere inside the 2nd ring (Садо́вое кольцо́) or maybe 1 metro stop beyond.

Just google "Moscow accommodations" and you'll find all you need. If you have any particular question feel free to ask me.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:46:19 AM »

If your looking for the best accommodation at a reasonable rate I would recommend

http://www.izmailovo.ru/eng/

You can book a 4 star room for about $60.00 Its just four stops up on the blue line Partizanskaya , step outside of the metro and your there  ;D

I think this is a good option to stay. This tourist complex was built for the Olympics in 1980 for guests of Moscow. I stayed here for the night as part of a tour group in the mid-80's of the last century. When flight from Volgograd to Europe. Here you get a full range of services for leisure. And also there is an excellent concert hall "Izmailovo", where you can enjoy Russian hits.
And also you can use the site to search for housing: http://www.booking.com/

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaMIBiAEBmAEhuAELyAEM2AEB6AEB-AELqAID&sid=faecac19002667a3a517cb0c33521cfe&dcid=12&checkin_monthday=14&checkin_year_month=2016-4&checkout_monthday=15&checkout_year_month=2016-4&city=-2960561&class_interval=1&group_adults=1&group_children=0&label_click=undef&nflt=pri%3D1%3Bpri%3D2%3Bany_deal%3D1%3Bhotelfacility%3D107%3Bdi%3D8921%3Bdi%3D8161%3B&no_rooms=1&offset=0&order=popularity&review_score_group=empty&room1=A&sb_price_type=total&sb_travel_purpose=leisure&score_min=0&si=ai%2Cco%2Cci%2Cre%2Cdi&ss=%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0&ssb=empty&ssne=%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0&ssne_untouched=%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0&track_sas=1&lang=en-gb&cdl=ru&tfl_cwh=1

To navigate through the Moscow subway and ground transportation purchase card "Troika" - 50 rubles. Put on account of a small amount in rubles.

http://troika.mos.ru/en/about/

Offline Jerash

Heading to Moscow
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
Thanks to you all. I arrived at a small hotel yesterday evening near Chistie Prudy Metro. Not much impressed with the hotel, but having had a stroll in the warm afternoon sun today, I'm very happy with the neighbourhood and will probably move to another place nearby tomorrow.

If anyone wants to meet for a drink, coffee, or whatever, let me know. As I said - this was a totally unexpected week layover in Moscow, but I'll take it!

Offline Danchik

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:56:51 AM »
I wanted to post one more follow up for anyone thinking of coming to Moscow or Russia.

Because of what has happened to the ruble over the last couple of years, Russia has become quite the value for tourists. Finding an affordable place, especially in Moscow, is easy. To illustrate my point, The Ritz Carlton on Tverskaya, IMO the best hotel as far as location and luxury, can be had for just over $200 a night.

Compare that to other cities such as New York, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc. and one can see what a bargain that is. Hell, I might even book a night for me and my lady soon as the price is just ridiculous and I know she would enjoy the treat. Before the devaluation of the ruble, and the impending crisis, you couldn't touch any room in that hotel for under $500.

While I'm certainly not against staying at "older" hotels away from the city like Izmailovo and The Cosmos Hotel by ВДНХ, why would you? Especially if you don't know the city well, don't speak Russian, and can get a place right in the middle of the action for the same price.

As I sure some of you have read recently, Moscow and Russia are quite the bargain these days. Believe it; it's true.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »
Yes thats all very true   :thumbsup:
But the end of the day a Bed is a bed what ever price you pay! lets face it when you visit some where your not going to be spending much time in that bedroom are you?
How ever much money I had I would never waste money on hotel rooms. I would rather take a economy room and spend the savings going out :)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 01:27:34 AM »
I wanted to post one more follow up for anyone thinking of coming to Moscow or Russia.

Because of what has happened to the ruble over the last couple of years, Russia has become quite the value for tourists. Finding an affordable place, especially in Moscow, is easy. To illustrate my point, The Ritz Carlton on Tverskaya, IMO the best hotel as far as location and luxury, can be had for just over $200 a night.

Compare that to other cities such as New York, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc. and one can see what a bargain that is. Hell, I might even book a night for me and my lady soon as the price is just ridiculous and I know she would enjoy the treat. Before the devaluation of the ruble, and the impending crisis, you couldn't touch any room in that hotel for under $500.

While I'm certainly not against staying at "older" hotels away from the city like Izmailovo and The Cosmos Hotel by ВДНХ, why would you? Especially if you don't know the city well, don't speak Russian, and can get a place right in the middle of the action for the same price.

As I sure some of you have read recently, Moscow and Russia are quite the bargain these days. Believe it; it's true.

Best place in town IMHO... :thumbsup:

Offline Danchik

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 02:37:31 AM »
But the end of the day a Bed is a bed what ever price you pay! lets face it when you visit some where your not going to be spending much time in that bedroom are you?
How ever much money I had I would never waste money on hotel rooms. I would rather take a economy room and spend the savings going out :)
Steveboy, an apt in the center can be had for the same price as The Hotel Izmailovo, that's my point. Not that anyone has to stay at The Ritz.

You speak some Russian, you have a Russian wife, Annushka is Russian. You can deal with things much easier. But, for the average punter coming to Russia this is not the case.  That hotel (and The Cosmos) was built in late 1970's, it's 2016. There's nothing around there that is interesting for the average punter except the souvenir market and park.

Line 3 which services Izmailovskaya might be the busiest metro line in Moscow. I can't imagine anyone wanting to deal with that as a relative newcomer to Moscow except after 10pm. The last time I was out that way it was all I could do to push my way onto the train headed back to the center and this was at 16:00 and it's a 15-20 minute metro ride to the center. It's even worse headed out of the city center (yes there are times when it's not so busy during the day, but...not often).

Navigating the metro is not easy for first timers, and something as simple as buying a Troika card and putting money on it can be quite intimidating for a non-Russian speaking tourist also. The people they employ as cashiers are not the most customer service friendly people you will meet, and none speak English. Why would anyone want to deal with this? We need to be practical as well as frugal.

One wants to be within walking distance of most places or a 200-300 ruble taxi ride. Taxis are simple these days as all you have to do is write an address down and give it to the driver, he'll figure out the rest without you having to say a word. 200-300 will get you anywhere inside the 2nd ring.

The Ritz is just a suggestion for anyone who might want to splurge a little and treat their lady to an experience you both can share and live a little; that's all.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 02:54:18 AM »
Steveboy, an apt in the center can be had for the same price as The Hotel Izmailovo, that's my point. Not that anyone has to stay at The Ritz.

You speak some Russian, you have a Russian wife, Annushka is Russian. You can deal with things much easier. But, for the average punter coming to Russia this is not the case.  That hotel (and The Cosmos) was built in late 1970's, it's 2016. There's nothing around there that is interesting for the average punter except the souvenir market and park.

Line 3 which services Izmailovskaya might be the busiest metro line in Moscow. I can't imagine anyone wanting to deal with that as a relative newcomer to Moscow except after 10pm. The last time I was out that way it was all I could do to push my way onto the train headed back to the center and this was at 16:00 and it's a 15-20 metro minute ride to the center; it's even worse headed out of the city center (yes there are times when it's not so busy during the day, but...not often).

Navigating the metro is not easy for first timers, and something as simple as buying a Troika card and putting money on it can be quite intimidating for a non-Russian speaking tourist also. The people they employ as cashiers are not the most customer service friendly people you will meet, and none speak English. Why would anyone want to deal with this? We need to be practical as well as frugal.

One wants to be within walking distance of most places or a 200-300 ruble taxi ride. Taxi's are simple these days as all you have to do is write an address down and give it to the driver, he'll figure out the rest without you having to say a word. 200-300 will get you anywhere inside the 2nd ring.

The Ritz is just a suggestion for anyone who might want to splurge a little and treat their lady to an experience you both can share and live little; that's all.

Online yankee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:33:39 AM »

Before I got married I stayed in the Ukraina Hotel for $130 a night.  Last time I checked it is over $400.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 06:48:50 AM »
When I was a little broke  I stayed several times at Home hostel close to Park Probedy that was 500.00 roubles a night :laugh:

That was about 13 years ago , not sure if the price would be the same today , but it was very comfortable met a nice girl there once and took her to a club once :party0011: