The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The "Panama Papers"  (Read 6298 times)

Offline Gipsy

The "Panama Papers"
« on: April 03, 2016, 12:28:24 PM »
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The "Panama Papers"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again, no-one is innocent, be interesting to see how this pans out, might explain why Dyadya Putin is like the 6th richest man in the World despite being on a salary of £57k a year.

I am certain though, there will be nothing on Jeremy Corbyn, other than stealing 20p in Third Form at school maybe, whatever you think of his politics, he's at least honest. And that's we need, but that's only my opinion I don't profess to being an economic expert or political guru like 90% of folks on here who think they know better than people who done it for 40 years and studied for it for 10, right or wrong, they know more than us...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 03:38:20 PM »
Spent the last couple hours reading, the western media is having a field day pointing fingers at Putin and his friends.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
Spent the last couple hours reading, the western media is having a field day pointing fingers at Putin and his friends.

Who really cares!!? if you can't beat them join them... life to short..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »
2 Billion fortune traced to Putin, who once claimed to work like a "galley slave". 

And another 80 Billion that can't.  Plus he basically owns a country.  He is likely the richest man in the world..."unofficially".

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 11:36:45 PM »
I need to remind you all that Putin's name is never seen anywhere other than gestures towards heaven or perhaps references to Papa. The real criminal is Putins oldest friend and famed cellist whos name is plastered over millions of dollars in contracts.

If only I had learned to play such a rich instrument.

Anyway, for those who have not yet found all the original websites I give them to you here. The first being the how and when. The second is the main site with all the what and who. Enough reading for a week if you can wrap your heads around it all.

http://interactive.fusion.net/dirty-little-secrets/index.html

https://panamapapers.icij.org/video/
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 11:40:35 PM »
I wonder if this is the shit storm that was suggested was on its way last week?

Funny how there's 12(?) heads of state mentioned but the focus is upon one,  who is not.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 01:30:56 AM »
Looks like Ukraine's boy Poroshenko was also caught with his pants down, taking a crap on the common people in Ukraine.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »
Looks like Ukraine's boy Poroshenko was also caught with his pants down, taking a crap on the common people in Ukraine.

And daddy Cameron...  :laugh:

Now who would have thought that!!   ???
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 01:42:50 AM »

Nice headline on the Dutch news today, lobbying for a no-vote:

As Ukraine's forces were being slaughtered in Donbass, Poroshenko its president opens a shell company to hide money much needed by Ukraine.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »

Nice headline on the Dutch news today, lobbying for a no-vote:

As Ukraine's forces were being slaughtered in Donbass, Poroshenko its president opens a shell company to hide money much needed by Ukraine.

Mark.

Guess what, he's not the only one, near 50% of the RADA has followed his Leadership..  :ROFL:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:23 AM »
I wonder if this is the shit storm that was suggested was on its way last week?

Funny how there's 12(?) heads of state mentioned but the focus is upon one,  who is not.

Нормальный   :nod:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 02:06:12 AM »
It gets even worse for Poroshenko , seeing that newspapers here very much want a no-vote so they're going all out on the only thing they CAN get their hands on.... Roshen BV, a dutch chocolate company... Does the name sound familiar? Its owner is still (as always was) Poroshenko.

It seems RoshenBV invests heavily in Kiev-post (more than 80% of its income in fact) .... isn't that name familiar ??? Free press? naaaah. Bad when Russia does it, but it seems when Ukraine does it now, it is neatly swept under the rug except now when it is politically advantagous to open up this hellhole.

Sources:
https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/ukraine-poroshenko-offshore/
http://www.geenstijl.nl/mt/archieven/2016/04/feynman___poroshenko_busted.html#more

It seems Poroshenko also directly violated Ukrainian law, as he 'forgot' to name these assets as he was required to by law.

And to add insult to injury: This all went down when the Ukraine/Russia conflict-thing was at its fiercest!
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 02:39:57 AM »
Its all old news! Who gives a shi*  Do you remember Julius Caesar ? Adolf Hitler ? And thousands more throughout history :Zzzzsleep:

Its been going on for thousands of years, its human nature >:(

Best not to waste time ( Time is very important) and concentrate on making your own off shore accounts/businesses. Think positive and join the world club of crooks who run the planet...

Its my plan any way  :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 03:02:11 AM »
The best advise to anyone. Become a Politician , judge, movie star, President , bank robber or Corporate giant.

You will not worry about the panama papers then will you.. :laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
Let's be hones there, the spotlight is on many people ..and unlike western news -- not one mention of the 'panama papers' on the main Kremlin controlled news channels..

Peskov, Putin's press secretary says in is a CIA / state dept 'slur'... so why would wen be hearing about Cameron's Dad  ???

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 12:25:32 PM »
A more accurate account.

In 'Panama Papers', The Guardian Finds Imaginary Putin Link to Offshore Deals

The revelations are devestating for Vladimir Putin....except they have nothing to do with Vladimir Putin

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/panama-papers-guardian-finds-imaginary-putin-link-offshore-deals/ri13736

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Has anyone seen a link to a first hand read or sight of these documents?

All that is happening at the moment is that reports are, as with the reports of 'incursions' into Icelandic airspace, merely reports of reports and are thus fiction. That's not to say that there is no leak, but how genuine is it?

Why is the media promoting a single target, a target not even mentioned in the documents according to the Guardian and a couple of other outlets.
If genuine, is this misleading targeting due to an effort to protect some of the 'real' miscreants from too much attention?

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
Has anyone seen a link to a first hand read or sight of these documents?

All that is happening at the moment is that reports are, as with the reports of 'incursions' into Icelandic airspace, merely reports of reports and are thus fiction. That's not to say that there is no leak, but how genuine is it?

Why is the media promoting a single target, a target not even mentioned in the documents according to the Guardian and a couple of other outlets.
If genuine, is this misleading targeting due to an effort to protect some of the 'real' miscreants from too much attention?

This site seems to have a fair amount of info.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/

This site is based in Washington D.C. so gawd knows how much is fact or fiction?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 01:38:36 PM »

This site seems to have a fair amount of info.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/

Learned a little. I had never heard of the ICIJ but it seems that they are not quite as clean as their website might wasnt us to think. Funded by the following:
The ICIJ gets its cash and its "organizational procedure" via the Exceptionalistan-based Center for Public Integrity. The money comes from: Ford Foundation, Carnegie Endowment, Rockefeller Family Fund, Kellogg Foundation and the Soros racket.
http://members5.boardhost.com/xxxxx/msg/1459782622.html

Sorry I can't link to the guys piece on Facebook.

The Guardian has said that most of the stuff will never be made public.

The accusations in the link on the page that Tom Cat linked to are werry, werry vague. An analyst I read earlier today, looking for his link coz it was also from his Facebook timeline, noted that from what he could see there was absolutely nothing linking Roldugin and Putin in the documents and that the only connection between Roldgugin and the documents published was 3 mentions in emails written during a due diligence procedure in which he was involved.

More than that it seems, according to the Guardian, that there's no connection between these documents and Putin.

Now, of course I am not going to go looking through these docs, even if they were/are available. They are a dump, on purpose. However it does not take too much time to see that the reports we are seeing are, to a greater or lesser degree, misleading and intentionally so.

To give the objective reader an idea of the 'quality' of the documentation on the site to which Tom Cat linked (and it seems to be the most authoritative site right now given that it is the main site of the ICIJ) here's the headline of their hatchet job on Roldugin:

All Putin’s Men: Secret Records Reveal Money Network Tied to Russian Leader
https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160403-putin-russia-offshore-network.html

Here, the sub-editor has purposefully mixed up the word order in the headline.
The thrust of the article is that people who Putin knows have some kind of offshore money 'thing'. There are inferences that Putin may have beneficial connections with these people, but the 'tied' in the words above refers to the secret money network and all Putin's men. The headline is deliberately misleading.

In the entire article I could find only one link to a document and absolutely no concrete assertions. The one document was a copy of a fact find questionnaire filled out by an unknown party. There's a response about Roldugin's relations which may have been incorrectly filled out, but given that the document is in English and I know how Russians use words, the answer looks perfectly fine. Putin is not a relation of Roldugin's.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2783040-160403-Russia-03.html

That is the only evidence in the whole screed written by the people who supposedly have the entire treasure trove of documents.

Here's another example:
Many of the men linked to the network, including Putin, share something else in common besides history. They are connected to the St. Petersburg-based Bank Rossiya, which the U.S. government has identified as Putin’s personal cashbox.
What is a personal cashbox?
The obvious implication is that something nefarious is going on, but more realistically, and just as infer-able from the wording (and lack of any evidence) is that the bank is Putin's personal bank, where he keeps his current account. ;)

After I read the article I asked myself 'what have the writers told me about this 'network' that means that the members of this network had done anything illegal?'
'What have the writers done to demonstrate that there is a beneficial link between these people and Putin?'
'Have the writers of the piece demonstrated with their documentation that Roldugin had done anything wrong?'

This stuff isn't just laziness, these are the people with their hands on the documents (supposedly). This is intentional misdirection and dishonesty.

Read the piece, it is shocking!

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
The best advise to anyone. Become a Politician , judge, movie star, President , bank robber or Corporate giant.

You will not worry about the panama papers then will you.. :laugh:

You forgot hacker.  Most bank robberies are not actually done by hackers hundreds or thousands of miles away, so no weapons or physical presence needed.   :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »
Bloody Facebook, how does one link to a Facebook item?

SO, in lieu of that:

Andrew Korybko was tagged in this.

Andre Fomine with Peter Lavelle and 10 others.
9 hrs ·
Well, we will talk a lot about ‪#‎panamapapers‬ in coming days, I suppose. I've just started reviewing the files published. But what already astonishes, is a deep dissonance between media hysteria and facts of the ground. I will not provide hyperlinks, but the top media titles today are crying:
"All ‪#‎Putin‬’s Men: Secret Records Reveal Money Network Tied to Russian Leader"
"Panama Papers: Putin associates linked to 'money laundering'"
"Revealed: the $2bn offshore trail that leads to Vladimir Putin"
etc
Ok, I looked at the document "linking Putin's closest associates, Arkady and Boris ‪#‎Rotenberg‬ to money laundering": https://assets.documentcloud.org/…/Rotenberg-Brothersdoc1.p…
What do we see here?
This 22-page file contails three (!) emails between Anete Daubure, Portfolio Executive of the UK office of Markom Group (international investment services) and two Mossack Fonseca clerks. On May 6 2014 the former provided to the latter the information for due diligence of 14 companies, most likely members or clients of Markom Group. E.g. this information is as follows:
"Pineridge Portofolio INC. - a private investment company of Ms.Anna Savvina, which is involved in investment of the UBO [Ultimate Beneficial Owner] worldwide; for purposes advancement of loans on behalf of the UBO for sunsidiaries in Russia and various affiliated companies of the UBO"
"Seabirch Trading Group Corp - holding of assets and property related to gas production and sale and construction, acquisition and restructuring of gas pipelines"
Same day Mossack Fonseca thanked Ms.Daubure and requested additional information (spheres of activities and countries where they operate) on other 23 companies.
The last mail is Ms.Daubure's answer on the latter where she details on 9 out of 23 requested companies e.g. this way:
"Brinsop Estate Limited - the company will purchase Isle of Man holding company that will hold property in Birmingham. The countries of activities are: Russia and UK"
So the facts are:
- the names of brothers Rotenberg are not mentioned in the document;
- there is no proof or even indication that brothers Rotenberg have any connection with Markom Group;
- even if they DO have such connection, it is absolutely unclear what can be incriminated to them from this mail exchange; not a single sum is even mentioned.
I would appreciate clarifications/additional info from the members of The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists Thank you.
‪#‎panamaleaks‬

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
Bloody Facebook, how does one link to a Facebook item?

You click the time it was posted and it pops up, then copy that URL.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.