The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: American gone missing in Siberia.  (Read 353 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
American gone missing in Siberia.
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
This is a strange occurrence.
Why would the young man venture off on his own in the wee hours of the morning?

WORLD

Murder probe launched in disappearance of American student in Siberia

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/04/01/murder-probe-launched-in-disappearance-american-student-in-siberia.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
Re: American gone missing in Siberia.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:26:11 AM »

WORLD

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/04/01/murder-probe-launched-in-disappearance-american-student-in-siberia.html

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

DON'T Visit or go to Russia .... go to USA where it is safe!

:sick0012:
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »

WORLD

(Attachment Link)

DON'T Visit or go to Russia .... go to USA where it is safe!

:sick0012:

Wiz, below a link to the Siberian times.
Being English is not your first language, I understand you might not interpret all you read, and miss a few key points, and possibly miss sarcasm.
Anyway, this article is not American propaganda. The young man supposedly ventured out into harsh climate conditions. I question was he drunk? This would explain poor judgment. Quite often in Minnesota when someone ventures out into the cold while impaired or under dessed, sooner or later the body turns up when the snow and ice melt. Often in a pond or stream that was not iced over enough to support the weight of the person involved.
This has nothing to do with Russia being unsafe, it's just stupidity of those involved.

As for the murder investigation, those Americans with him would be prime suspects. The time of day would likely limit the likelihood of him being confronted by any Russian. They most likely know enough to not be out in the cold.

For me it will be interesting to see what the Russian police uncover?  This is an opportunity to compare how Russia and the United states police do an investigation.
I do wonder the complications involved, with being detained while the Investigation is being done?
Would the Russian police hold the others involved until the Investigation is completed?

Murder investigation opened into disappearance of US citizen Colin Madsen in Siberia

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0629-murder-investigation-opened-into-disappearance-of-us-citizen-colin-madsen-in-siberia/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 11:51:35 AM »
Tom Cat

It will be advisable that you do not patronise me or anybody else for that matter.

I started learning “proper” English when I was 7 years old and after 40 years living in the UK my command of the English language it’s fluent and I don’t need your translation or interpretation to understand the meaning and manner of your writings.

No I don’t have fluent command of your American variation of the English language. I have to admit that there are times that I am lazy and don’t pay much attention but not when I am writing about a serious subject. Don’t be fooled from certain people’s comments that I copy and paste, they just don’t like to be opposed in their views.

That is what you posted:

WORLD

I read very carefully your comments above. I see no “sarcasm” in them and my interpretation is that your first 2 sentences are giving double meaning and different connotations.

Your third sentence clearly implies guilty suspicion or cover up on the part of the Russian authorities by launching a Murder investigation.

I also read the “Siberian Times” article and my understanding of your post, is you crafted your sentences in such way to give subliminal connotations against Russia of not been a safe place to visit or travel to.

It is down to you to make sure that your comments are not misinterpreted. I have already suggested to you to start posting proper comments instead of links to various articles.

May I suggest, we enlist the help of other “proper” English speakers to give us their understanding and interpretation of your post?

I will be very happy to hear such comments from serious posters.
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
British persons fluent in English are famous for their reserved humor.  Apparently Wiz is simply not having a good day as the obvious intent of Tom Cat flew right over his head.  Or perhaps Wiz is so hell-bent on disrespecting the USA at every chance he gets, that poor "Wiz" behaves like a broken record on a perennial basis.  :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Tom Cat

It will be advisable that you do not patronise me or anybody else for that matter.

I started learning “proper” English when I was 7 years old and after 40 years living in the UK my command of the English language it’s fluent and I don’t need your translation or interpretation to understand the meaning and manner of your writings.

No I don’t have fluent command of your American variation of the English language. I have to admit that there are times that I am lazy and don’t pay much attention but not when I am writing about a serious subject. Don’t be fooled from certain people’s comments that I copy and paste, they just don’t like to be opposed in their views.

That is what you posted:

WORLD

I read very carefully your comments above. I see no “sarcasm” in them and my interpretation is that your first 2 sentences are giving double meaning and different connotations.

Your third sentence clearly implies guilty suspicion or cover up on the part of the Russian authorities by launching a Murder investigation.

I also read the “Siberian Times” article and my understanding of your post, is you crafted your sentences in such way to give subliminal connotations against Russia of not been a safe place to visit or travel to.

It is down to you to make sure that your comments are not misinterpreted. I have already suggested to you to start posting proper comments instead of links to various articles.

May I suggest, we enlist the help of other “proper” English speakers to give us their understanding and interpretation of your post?

Wiz, contrary to what you may think, I am not anti Russian.
I was married to a wonderful Russian citizen and spent several months in Russia. I met many good people there and felt completely safe there.
I even took my two young daughters with me several years ago.

I don't often write long posts because I use my phone when making posts. Even after a couple years I am not that proficient in my ability to use it.
Thus my grammar is not up to par.
In my opening post I asked a simple question, because it does not make sense to leave a warm room to venture out Into the cold. :biggrin:
If you want to read into it than more than a simple question, you missed my thoughts completely.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
British persons fluent in English are famous for their reserved humor.  Apparently Wiz is simply not having a good day as the obvious intent of Tom Cat flew right over his head.  Or perhaps Wiz is so hell-bent on disrespecting the USA at every chance he gets, that poor "Wiz" behaves like a broken record on a perennial basis.  :laugh:

Where is the humor in Tom Cats post?

Obviously you can't read properly, which is understandable, as you know only American brash humor.

Can you tell me any good reasons why I should be respectful to the USA administration?

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
Tom Cat

That is what you posted:

WORLD

Wiz, contrary to what you may think, I am not anti Russian.
I was married to a wonderful Russian citizen and spent several months in Russia. I met many good people there and felt completely safe there.
I even took my two young daughters with me several years ago.

I don't often write long posts because I use my phone when making posts. Even after a couple years I am not that proficient in my ability to use it.
Thus my grammar is not up to par.
In my opening post I asked a simple question, because it does not make sense to leave a warm room to venture out Into the cold. :biggrin:
If you want to read into it than more than a simple question, you missed my thoughts completely.

Sorry but I am not a mind reader!

I prefer to wait and see if any British member will post his understanding of your post!

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 03:19:53 PM »