The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 26 years ago this week  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
26 years ago this week
« on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
26 years ago McDonals opened its first restaurant in Moscow at Pushkinskaya Square. The restaurant remains the busiest McDonalds in the world. I have been there at times when there were close to 1000 people inside and outside ordering and eating. 

I remember watching a news report back in 1990 showing how the line wrapped around the restaurant and down the street (Tverskaya). Truly a historic time in our life.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/multimedia/video/russias-first-mcdonalds-turns-26/515193.html
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: 26 years ago this week
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
McD's - America's Rapid Deployment Force of Cultural Imperialism.
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 11:43:43 PM »

More like rapid deployment of cultural destruction.  Destruction of traditional cooking, onset of obesity and diabetes.  :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:34 AM »

More like rapid deployment of cultural destruction.  Destruction of traditional cooking, onset of obesity and diabetes.  :laugh:

That, too.  But the joke works better with "Imperialism".
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:20:31 AM »
The thing is, as seen by the video, Russians were more than ready to "eat Westernization up" in more ways than just wolfing down a Big Mac.

IMO, the West and America missed a golden opportunity to integrate Russia, along with all the other Soviet satellites states, into Europe.

Yeltsin was about to take over for Gorbachev and turn Russia into a free market economy. Yeltsin was also very pro-American (West), but we all (well some) know what happened in the 90's in Russia. I also feel that part of the chaos that surrounded Russia during its turbulent transition could have been avoided if America and the West had seized what IMO was the perfect opportunity to transform the country into a more European-friendly, pro-American partner.

Looking back, I think Bush Sr. was an underrated President, yet I also think he dropped the ball on this, even though I thought his foreign policy paradigm overall was one of his strong suits. Russia was ripe for the taking, and America should have gone balls out to secure this opportunity. Again, IMO, it would have changed the course of history. The West's, especially America's laizzez-faire attitude was puzzling to me, to say the least, given the current circumstances.

As far as McDonalds goes, I haven't eaten there in a couple of years, and only do so when strapped for time and have no other options. I have to say, that their coffee selection, taste and quality are some of the best in Moscow. And of course, they have free WiFi.

I have never understood why the restaurants here are so crowded. The food is basically crap, and I'm sure it has played a part in fattening a percentage of the women here.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 05:26:30 AM »
The last time I visited McDonalds, under duress, was in Ufa, in 2008 just to keep my newly wed wife happy. That of course was the last one. After that my wife was introduced to the healthy “Mediterranean Diet” that I have been accustomed all my life and never asked me again, neither wants to go anywhere near to one of them, even when we are travelling to other countries.

Regarding the Yeltsin era and what took place in Russia at the time, it is well known fact that he was enticed to the pockets of the Anglo Zionist Banking cabal of the FED and other big banks controlled by the dynasty of Rothschild’s, became a puppet in their hands and sold Russia for a song.

The worst of all was/is the sell out of the Bank of Russia to the partners of FED, for which Russia today still have problems with its economy. Putin is aware of the damage and control that is doing to the Russian economy and I am sure, soon or later, at the right moment he will strike and take back financial control of your country and get rid of the Neocon Atlantists.

Watch this documentary and you will realise what damage Yeltsin, his family and Jewish oligarchs have done to the country.

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!